“awesome!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Temecula Ca
“awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2004

just got back and we are sorry we left we had a great trip negative was the tower we reserved was under construction so we were downgraded to a different room and we are still waiting for the credit on our credit card which was not the hotels fault but rather Apple vacations who we booked it through beware when you book the hotel through there internet site it goes directly thru apple vacations somthing we were not told. the hotel is very nice grounds the mex. resturant wasnt great but the brkfst and seafood was great. pool perfect the service was awesome just ask and its done. we did find Tony which i had read about on this site and he is a much better deal than the Sail to Las Marites tour we did. Tony ownes "Las Vegas Lady"
a small clean and shaded boat. he comes right up to the beach so you can easily find him he also goes to Yelapa and Quemito he is very knowledgable and safe also speaks english. we are looking forward to having him as our main tour guide next visit.i heard the humity is awful in oct and the end of sept but season starts in nov-may cant wait to go back and stay in the club tower! we did have the all incl. pkge but we found we still ate at least 1 meal a day out in town one of our favorate was El Palomar de los Gonzalez the view is amazing day or night and the food was equally as good!

2 Thank reinita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2004

With some skepticism we decided to try Apple vacations "Square Deal" all inclusive. You get a 6 Apple resort/hotel in the town you're going to, but it's their choice and you don't know where you'll end up until you reach your airport or the location. Still, it's their highest rated resort/hotel at just $695 for 7 days. If you count a round trip, non-stop flight with food and drink as $350 from Chicago, you're only paying $345 for 7 days. Not bad!

We were told at departure our resort/hotel would be DREAMS, formerly Camino Real. OK, red lights! Change of ownership just months ago? Does this mean watered down drinks, bad food, & surly staff?

Upon arrival, a REALLY nice newer air conditioned bus took us to DREAMS in minutes. The greeting was enthusiastic and friendly, and a glass of champagne was offered. Grounds were gorgeous and well kept. If any more people smiled and said hello I'd have thought I was royalty. Rooms were spacious, a little dated and the King+ bed was a little firm, but that's nit-picking. Room service was included! Meals were brought in minutes, spread on a fine white linen tablecloth and personally served! Excellent toiletries! Turn down service left us fresh flowers and a chocolate nightly.

Everyone was friendly, helpful, and eager to please. Breakfast was excellent, the Italian restaurant, La Finesta, was superb, and the Oceania restaurant served an excellent shrimp and tenderloin at sunset on the beach. Best, cleanest beach in Puerto Vallarta! 15-20 people raked it every morning. You have your own Cabana, with your needs personally attended to! Drinks are top notch! Managers cocktail party was great, we talked with Eduardo for 10 minutes. Some resort managers try to avoid these parties - not Eduardo. Friday Mexican Fiesta is not to be missed! Entry fee is chugging a shot of Tequila, the food marvelous! Marachi band, dancers, a riot of color, food, song and drink!

At leaving, we owed nothing! No surprises! All in all, I'd say pay them a visit soon. Extensive room remodeling and another pool may put DREAMS in the $1.200 a week category or more soon.

People that deserve mention are Eduardo, the manager, of course. Definitely ISMAEL, who served drinks at the Cabanas. He folowed us around and took wonderful care of us. Finest employee they have! Maid staff all great! Our Apple rep was available, helpful and eager to please.
As you leave immigration upon arrival, you'll see a desk straight ahead with gentlemen in white uniforms - avoid them and take a left out the door to your bus! They are timeshare salesman. Also, the town is brutal, vendors and hawkers everywhere, overpriced goods abound. Buy a painting on the beach from CONRAD ROMERO for $30 instead. Don't sign up for any fishing or banana boat trips with Jesus. remember that name and beware! Don't go on horseback trips, those poor animals are used ubtil they're ready to drop.
Did I mention pools and swim up bar are great? After many Caribbean & European vacations, I can say this is the best buy for the money I ever ran across. That's it, if we can be of help please email us.

• Stayed October 2004
1 Thank joesharon2004
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

I really don't feel like I can add a lot, the post below from CO pretty much says it all (right down to the 6th floor Club tower! Tho we didn't get a fruit basket!!) But I have been dying to post since we got back to a review way down the list about the "hard tile floors" in the room. They are marble, and they are gorgeous! And it's funny how different people like different things...my favorite of the whole week was the breakfast buffet. I think it was the atmosphere more than the food...tho the food was excellent. There is something very special about sipping hot coffee and eating excellent food on the beach at sunrise with the love of your life....Anyway...The coffee is strong and delicious. The breakfast tamales are mouth watering. There's fresh fruit and a juice "bar" with many choices. And delicious sweet rolls, I recommend the chocolate filled croissants. This was our first trip to PV, so I can't compare Dreams to any other resorts, but we would stay there again in a heartbeat. Tho I DO hope in the remodel they buy new beds! I'll say nothing more about them! I would tell anyone to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank LeighRG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

My husband and I got married at the Dreams Resort (formerly called the Camino Real) in April, 2004. We planned the entire wedding via e-mail and everything went off without a hitch. The hotel staff was so warm and kind (especially, Edith, our wedding coordinator). We had 80 people at the wedding and every person enjoyed their time here and said they would come back again. The beach is absolutely gorgeous and the best in PV without a doubt. Stay here if you want the amenities of a nice hotel along with an old PV charm. It's not the "fanciest" hotel around, but in my opinion, the best!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Crown Point
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2004

dreams is an older resort,the food was very good and the service was excellant. the rooms face the ocean and very nice[room service 24/7 included].the resort needs some renovations and i believe they have that in the works after speeking with the manager.we were there 8-7-04 to 8-14-04 and believe me it is humid.the beach is almost private due to the hills extending into the water and very nice.the beach is cleaned daily[hand raked].needed sugestions: nightly entertainment[piano,live music] another pool,and the way the resort is they could make this resort an adults only[too many kids and alot of locals]the staff works so hard and does a very fine job.the resorts location is close to town[$3.00 taxi fee]with loads of nightlife.have been to A I 's before,stayed at 4's to 6's . with a few changes this place will rank high.2 special nights,wed they had sea food buffet on the beach at sunset,excellant.fri was a mexican fiesta with music and dance[too much tequila and pacifico] but a great time.it was a great vacation and at a very good price[square deal from apple] one problem,one of us fell[3 couples] and had to see the doctor at the resort,for a shot and bandaids, he charged them $200.00.all in all,good time was had by all.

2 Thank letsgo5054
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2004

I had the pleasure of staying 4 nights at the Camino Real in June (now under new management) for my son's beach wedding. Situated south of downtown Puerto Vallarta (a $3.00 cab or 45 cent bus ride), it was an ideal resort spot with its own private beach. The people there were extremely friendlyand helpful, as we sometimes struggled with our Spanish to communicate. Language isn't a problem, though, as many spoke English. The beautiful grounds were spacious and clean, with lots of things to do. The food was very good in the restaurants (especially the wedding cake), the breakfast buffet was delicious. A bit pricey for evening meals, so we ventured into town to its many wonderful restaurants. La Rhonda and the Red Cabbage were great experiences. My room was a little musty, but that is to be expected with the warm temperatures. All rooms have safes for valuables. All in all, I definitely would return to the Camino Real Resort. P.S. The sunset wedding was beautiful, with its Mexican traditions. We all had an unforgettable time.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2004

After researching tripadvisor.com extensively, my girlfriend and I determined that Dreams was the best deal going and we went for 4 days in August, 2004. Everything we had read about the place was more or less correct. It is indeed the best beach in PV, combed over every night to ensure that it's smooth and free of rocks or trash. It's also well on your way to Los Arcos where the clearest waters in the bay reside. The beds weren't overly hard but I wouldn't call them soft either; the perfect firmness for honeymooners let's say. All of the service staff was incredibly friendly and eager to serve you and never expected a tip, a trait you would be hard-pressed to find in even the best U.S. hotels. This may well have been a charastic of everyone in PV though since even the taxi drivers were incredibly friendly and loved chatting it up with us (for this you have to speak Spanish). I've been to Mexico a number of times before and I always felt that there's a few things you have to give up when you go there, but this place easily met with the expectations I'd have for a 4 star resort in the U.S. All the water was filtered and safe, and it seemed like there was more than one employee to every two guests in the public areas. While drinking on the beach, I usually had a new drink delivered to my lounge chair the instant I only had a quarter of my current drink remaining, and I didn't even have to ask. Downtown PV is only a 10 minute, $4 cab ride away so you're really right near the heart of the city but in the secluded southern area where only the rich people's homes, the mountains, and the jungle surround you. As a result, there were very few vendors or other hastles you'd likely find if you were nearer the city. The two high-quality restaurants were both excellent, and I'd definitely recommend them over the buffet dinners which are also good, but buffet food all the same. This leads to my only complaint- that the breakfasts were the same buffet every morning - big and diverse but heavy and I tired of them after 4 days. They also have it outdoors which is wonderful but they have a major bee problem. Those relentless buggers would crawl on any food that was left uncovered and any glass of juice that was left unattended would have about 4 bees swimming in it in no time. Guests were often swatting at their food and children would refuse to sit at their places for fear of being stung. Their refusal to get an exterminator and eradicate the hive almost earned them a 4. A good bet is to order room service in the mornings.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member