“Stay at the Camino Real!”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Stay at the Camino Real!”
Reviewed May 18, 2004

Just came back from my stay at the Camino Real Puerto Vallarta (May 15-19/04). First of all, I have no hesitation recommending this hotel. The location is excellent. Away from the "hotel strip", however, a short and inexpensive cab ride from the heart of town (30 pesos or USD $3). The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Take my advise and DEFINITELY upgrade to a Camino Club room. Many have jacuzzis on the balcony and the rooms are larger with a sitting area. Club guests enjoy a complementary morning buffet breakfast and cocktail party nightly between 5-6PM. I was fortunate that my upgrade was only USD $40 a night extra - well, well worth it. The hotel is well kept and very clean. Rooms have large safes which is nice plus plush bathrobes for Club Rooms. The beach is very nice - due to the rocks at each end, the beach is private. The pool is adequate - perfect temperature with a swim up bar. The pool is not huge and I'd hate to think how crowded it must get during high season, but nevertheless it was a nice pool. Never ate at the hotel, however....if you want a tip on a GREAT Mexican restuarant in town that is elegant, friendly, great food and atmosphere, try "Las Cazuelas" - fantastico! There is also a lovely lady named Emma at the American Express travel office on site who will be more than happy to arrange a tour for you - she's great. Book this hotel, make sure you get a Club Room and.............enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. ..........One last piece of advice.......ALWAYS ask before taking a taxi ride, how much it will cost - as taxis are not metered. I asked everywhere and almost every taxi driver was courteous, friendly and honest. Had a big problem though on the ride back to the airport on the last day. I never bothered to ask how much first, and the cab driver charged me DOUBLE the fare when I got to the airport. A cab ride from the airport to the Camino Real will be about $20-$25USD (200-300 Pesos), and the ride back to the airport is only $7-8USD (70-80 Pesos). Apparently there is a zoning law that makes it more expensive to take a cab from the airport. I got ripped off on the cab ride back to the airport (was charged 150 pesos, which is double the amount) because I never asked how much it would be from Camino Real to the airport before getting in. Enjoy Puerto Vallarta............its a great, great place!!!!!!

3 Thank galileocan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 12, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at Camino Real in January 2004 and we absolutely loved it. The rooms are very basic, clean, and spacious. It's a secluded, lovely hotel, a 5 minute cab ride (which is only $3) from all the restuarants and shopping. Don't try to walk it because there is no side walk, so you would need to walk on a narrow street. We would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2004

We booked all of the guests here for my daughter's wedding (2/14/04). We had over 100 people in our party, and everyone from the concierge to the maid was friendly and helpful. We booked a cocktail reception in the palapa that was superb. The food is exceptional and the attention to detail was second to none.

2 Thank linlo
Reviewed May 10, 2004

Every time i remind all the vacations i have taken in my young life, Puerto vallarta comes to my mind, but the best things i remember are from the penthouse of this luxury hotel...the balcony...the service.. and of course who can forget the installations?all the employees treat you respectfully...friendly...
They make you feel like an artist without been one...yet...
When you arrived.. you feel great just trying to get your room... because you only see smiles... good service and all the people you meet in this hotel can tell you diferent histories about Puerto Vallarta.
The only things you need are here.... the beautifull view, the weather, and the best hotel... the only thing missing is you...

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2004

I stayed at the Camino Real 4/25/04 for five days and was not disappointed. Their service was perfect and always friendly. The only downside was their hard beds. Poolside service was wonderful. Highly recommend eating at the three restaurants on site. All were great! Clean rooms and a great view from any vantage point. Private beach a definite plus. Keeps the crowd down. Be sure and hit the flea market downtown. Great bargains! Rhythms of the Night tour was great. Boat ride and the dinner provided was beyond fun. The show was hokey unless you like to watch an aerobics show in tights. Was expecting something more authentic. Grab a cab from the hotel to go downtown - not the bus.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2004

Based largely on reviews here on TripAdvisor, my fiance and I booked a nine-day honeymoon at the Camino Real. We were very, very happy with our decision and I recommend this hotel highly. All of the rooms are ocean-facing, and the lady at the counter gave us a balcony room on the tenth floor when she heard we were on our honeymoon. A beautifully tended place, and its beach is excellent. It's NOT in the hotel district and it's NOT downtown, but getting into PV is easy and affordable via bus (50 cents) or taxi (three dollars).

If you're going to PV, I highly recommend the Rhythms of the Night attraction through Puerto Vallarta Adventures as well.

Feel free to email me if you have additional questions or would like tips about this hotel. I haven't travelled much, and was worried about booking something nondescript or less-than-ideal for my honeymoon. But we were delighted and would certainly return to the Camino Real if we visit PV again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2004

My wife & I enjoyed the Camino Real the week of April 18th. We have vacationed in Mexico for many years & this is our 2nd time at the Camino Real. The staff is very helpful, the rooms in the Club Tower are large & comfortable. We started out with a 1st floor room on Saturday, but were moved to a 7th floor room on Sunday. Excellent view. We spent every day on the beach, which is almost a private stretch because of the rock outcrops on each end. We enjoy eating at different restaurants each evening when we are in Mexico and Puerto Vallarta has some of the best places to eat. We tried out the El Dorado & the Le Kliff this trip. Excellent food at both. The views at the Le Kliff were superb & their prices were about 50% higher then most restaurants in "Old Town". Still worth the 78 peso taxi ride to Le Kliff. We returned to Roberto's, both the seafood & Mexican restaurants. Always a good time at these two places. Then we made our normal excursion to Chez Elanina. The food is very good & the margs at the roof top bar are some of the best in town. We again took the Tour of Homes in PV. There is a $30 donation per person, but well worth it to browse through the $million homes in the city & along the shoreline. This tour, of 4 homes, is during the high season only & ended on 4/29/04 this year. The next time we vacation in PV, we will again stay at the Camino Real, a great resort.