“A Dream Vacation at Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Petaluma, California
“A Dream Vacation at Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had a wonderful vacation in Puerta Vallarta. We loved staying at the Dreams Puerta Vallarta Resort and Spa. It is a beautiful resort in a beautiful part of the city. I liked being away from the city and the congestion of everything. The beach was beautiful with fine sand and warm water. It was nice because there weren't a lot of locals trying to sell you stuff like at other beaches. Everyday we went to the pool or the beach and just lounged with a cocktail in hand. One really neat thing the resort conservation program does is release baby sea turtles that have just hatched into the ocean! Everyone who showed up to the release got to hold their own baby turtle and release them. What an experience! The resort had delicious meals and we always found something to eat (even my picky eater husband). Our favorite restaurant was Oceana for its food and views! We also enjoyed the World Cafe. Our last dinner we paid to have the romantic dinner on the beach. It was a very nice experience and OMG our chocolate soufflé dessert was to die for! I spent time at the spa which was great. When you book a treatment you get access to the sauna and jacuzzi. I enjoyed a wonderful 80 minute Swedish massage and a pineapple papaya pedicure! Even though we didn't upgrade to the preferred tower, our room was comfortable, spacious and had a breath taking ocean view. I did upgrade our room to get the balcony (room 2010). We would definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: We chose not to upgrade to the preferred tower and were very satisfied with our room. It is worth t...
3 Thank JAH82_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I visited this Dreams from 9/18-9/25 to celebrate a special occasion. This is our 2nd visit to PV and we enjoy the location.
So here's the good:
-The beach!!!! It's only accessible from this hotel and it's beautiful - worth the money
-There are 2 restaurants at dinner time that are ocean side and the food is excellent.
-The hotel is close to the city and a short cab ride
-No making reservations at dinner
- One staff member Salazar (hope we spelled it right) stood out because he was the friendliest staff member to us and was always very attentive. He worked hard the 7 days we were.

The bad:
- The breakfast is a buffet which is not a problem (we're not even picky eaters) but it was slim pickings. It was the same stuff everyday and wasn't the best.
-The rooms are older even in the preferred tower, although the rooms were very clean there were just things you can't clean without remodeling.
- You will be asked to take a tour of timeshares for a free dinner on the beach or more money to spend in the spa. They say they don't pressure you but we took one of the tours at the Secrets in Rivera Maya, and they work you. It wasn't worth the dinner on the beach!
-This is a smaller property so be aware that if there's a convention or wedding you will feel crowded. There was a convention the last 2-3 days of our 7 day trip that was a bummer. It just felt like being at a Holiday Inn. The staff put most of the service into the convention and you could tell the staff was overworked.
-The adult pool is very small and was overtaken easily by a group that just wanted to drink all day. So it was hard after swimming in the ocean and enjoying the beach to find a spot to swim (no chairs available and only standing room in the pool).
- The hotel states that there is no reserving chairs but people leave all their stuff on the chairs on the beach and the pool area and go about their business away from these areas. And the hotel staff never cleared towels or plates from the beach area until later in the evening. So you never knew if you were taking someone's spot.

*Just of note, both me and my husband got sick within 3 days of our trip and we roughed it out until the 5th day of trip. We asked the concierge about the hotel doctor and they called him for us, and we were on the way up to our hotel room to get our IDs and the one of the concierge ladies (I think her name was Celine) said to us that maybe she could talk to her boss and let us use our spa credits towards the doctor visit (we thought "wow, that's really nice of them to think of doing that for us". We thought maybe since we weren't in any shape to use them that maybe they felt bad that we felt so crummy). Opposite, after we saw the doctor which was a $200 visit for the both of us (not bad for as crummy as we felt), Celine came and said she talked to her boss and they would put the spa credit of $150 towards the visit if we did the tour of timeshares. We felt kinda of tricked by this lady because when she said our spa credits we thought the credits that she had given to us at check-in. We had said no to the timeshare visit when we checked in. So we felt kinda of tricked and mislead by Celine and we weren't very happy about that.

We won't be returning to this property!

Room Tip: We stayed in 1915 which had a beautiful view and dehumidifier.
4 Thank mvw0fa
Fraser, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I would have given a 5-star rating but the first day ruined it. When my husband and I got to the hotel, all tired and hungry all we wanted was just to get settled in, rest for a few minutes then plan our activities. Didn't happen. After checking in, we had to talk to a representative named Martin to "activate" the resort coupons. After which it was more like coerced us to attend a 90 minute presentation for Dreams and their other hotels. It's like a timeshare tactic, which I hate in the first place. Even after saying 'no', he won't stop until you get so tired. Well, our answer was still a 'no'. So right there and then, he ruined our day already. Then we got into our room, the sliding door wouldn't close so the humidity settled in the room, making it smell mildewy. We called the front desk and sent a room steward to change the bedding so that fixed the odor. But no one fixed the sliding door, which we didn't push on the issue anymore. We didn't ask to be moved to another room because we didn't want to deal with new possible problems, and besides, our floor was quiet and that's important to us. We're only there to sleep and we'll be outside for the most part of our vacation. The room needs updating. A little facelift will make a big difference (curtain rods look like it's going to come off anytime, makeup vanity mirror was the same way, ready to fall out of the wall).

Now going to the pros of the vacation, the staff is excellent. They will go to great lengths to make sure your stay is comfortable/ relaxing. Room service was fantastic, food was great! The restaurants were top notched. We love the Oceana, Portofino, and Seaside Grill. The beach, the views, very good! Make sure you ask for rooms from the 4th or higher to enjoy the great sunset, beautiful blue ocean and golden sand. We love Julio (our waiter in Oceana), and Isabel (from room service), two of the many awesome employees that made our stay wonderful!

4 Thank easternertime
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just returned from a trip 9/6 - 9/10.

Got the preferred tower Jacuzzi Suite. Emailed Verenice about it being our anniversary and she responded that she'd put it in our notes. But sadly, no one onsite had any notes about it being our anniversary. We mentioned it to 2 separate people onsite at concierge, and still nothing happened, that really bummed me out. On our anniversary day, the room next to us got a huge "happy birthday" sign with balloons on their door, and us, still, nothing. We came down and asked for a bottle of champagne and they did send it up, but still, nothing else. Super bummer.

Another small issue is late check out. We asked for it prior, was told we'd have to pay $10 to check out at 2pm, fine, no problem. The morning of our checking out, the other staff member had no record of us needing to check out late, then told us we'd have to pay $30... huh? After venting to him about this issue and the anniversary issue, and showing him the email to Verenice, he let us check out late for free.

The food was great, at all the restaurants, even Portofino. But whoever on here said the steak at Oceana was the best steak they've ever had in their life? No... not at all. But still good. Above average definitely for all inclusive. Order a lot because portions are small. Some servers give you side eyes for ordering a lot and make you feel like swine, others egged you on and offered even more plates to enjoy.

Seriously, try all the restaurants, don't be swayed by anyone on here. Oceana was actually my least favorite restaurant, and I know it's a popular one on this board, so you just never know.

It took a while to get used to all the sand bees and flies, but after a few drinks, you forget they're around.

Water was calm, warm, visibility was just okay, snorkeling was just okay, maybe because of the rain it could have been better.

The Puerto Vallarta Zoo was an amazing experience. Yes, it's kinda crummy and small, but you get to play with monkeys and baby tigers! Hello! And my husband left his Ray Bans there and they HELD them and returned them!!! Wow! You don't get that at Disneyland.

Most of the staff/cabbies/airport staff/everyone in Puerto Vallarta were really amazing and refreshing, it does help to speak a bit of Spanish, and for heavens sake, TIP everyone, and preferably in PESOS!

Francisco at the Spa was great too!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family and I returned from our Dreams vacation and we truly had an amazing time!

As soon as you walk into the resort, you are offered an upgrade, and eligible to use your "resort coupons" toward the upgrade. I definitely recommend upgrading to the Preferred tower as the rooms were absolutely stunning! The rooms were tastefully decorated in a contemporary Mexican style, with leather equipale chairs, colorful artwork, small sitting area and beautiful canopy beds. All the rooms in the Prefered tower offer large soak in tubs, comfy bath robes, huge balconies, self service pool towels, and complementary WiFi, which are all amenities not standard in the old tower. Also available exclusively in the preferred tower lobby is a computer/business center, concierge, self service bar, small eating area, and small buffet of hors d'oeuvres available seemingly all day.

The food..it was simply ok. Alot of the times, the presentation was much nicer than the taste.
The buffet was adequate. It was outdoors, and due to the hot and muggy weather (in August atleast), everything would get soggy. The smoked salmon was delicious!
The ambiance at Oceania and Seaside grill was spectacular! It was lovely to hear the crashing waves or watch the sunset as you were dining in one of these restaurants. Alot of the food was a hit or miss. Some dishes were really good, others were overly greasy and salty. Portofino had the best food (especially the Lamb!). However I didn't prefer the dark and gloomy atmosphere as opposed to the other two restaurants. It was so dark in there, that I literally saw guests using their cell phones to illuminate the menus so they could read them!

The mixed drinks were good so long as you specified the type and quality of liquor to put in them. The wine offered in the all inclusive package was not very good though. We only had one or two glasses of wine with dinner, so I would have appreciated better quality wine.

The resort grounds were beautiful! It seems like the Dreams resort is packed away in a lush, secluded landscape, making it very romantic. I was told that the resort owned one of the few private beaches in Puerto Vallarta, making it a relaxing get away. It wasn't over crowded and there were plenty of beach chairs available. I loved the infinity pool as well. Occasionally, it did get a little rowdy and loud due to a few certain people drinking too much, but it wasn't enough to ruin my relaxation.The vendors by the beach were approved by the resort, and were expensive but not pushy sellers. It was actually interesting chatting with "Cheapo Felipo" on the beach. The turtle release program was amazing! And definitely try parasailing (extra surcharge) if you have time! If you are planning on an excursion, I would definitely go to Islas Marietas (http://www.zonaturistica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/playaescon.jpg) with Vallarta Adventures. Awesome times!

A major complaint I had was with the poor quality of WiFi in the Preferred tower. It basically never worked. Unfortunately, our work lives and obligations don't start and end with with our vacation, and dependable internet access is a must. Being able to send a few emails from the privacy and comfort of your hotel room would have been nice. There was a computer in the lobby of the Preferred tower, but when I tried to use it, it wouldn't start up. An alternative was internet use at Coco Cafe for a surcharge, but I didn't want to pay when I was already entitled for it.

Even with a few minor short falls, why did I still give this resort 5 stars? Excellent service. Bravo and well done, keep it up. Even when my sister lost her passport, the security at the hotel helped her search. The next day, we got a call saying they found it on the beach! Long story of how it got there Lol! Regardless, this wasn't something they had to do, but they still went above and beyond. Also, my parents arrived ill to the resort, and the doctor on the resort was very quick to respond (Dr. Curel I believe his name was). After IV antibiotics, they felt better as early as the next day. He didn't wear gloves while injecting, and the swab he used to disinfect their skin was dry, (which left me raising an eyebrow!) but never the less, they did get better after his treatment and prescriptions. We appreciated the prompt response as well, and he even came to check on them the next day.

Overall, my family and I had a wonderful trip in Puerto Vallarta thanks to the Dreams resort. Hopefully we'll be back one day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dreemz05
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I would have given this resort a 5 star if only our Check-in was a little more pleasant. We went in the low season when the resort was half full, so our request for the room could have been met. Everything else about this resort was really nice and I loved the location - highlight of our visit was the participating in the turtle release... awesome experience and we were lucky!
We went there as a family to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Called long distance twice to make sure they had notes on my request as it was a surprise planned by me for my husband and 3 sons and I wanted it to be a warm welcome for all 5 of us. Booked 2 rooms - requested for the Anniversary Special that they offer on their website in our room and a rollaway bed in the boys room and that our rooms be side-by-side. I don't think that was too much to request. My first impression was not very good on the first day, we did not pay for PREFERRED building, so they kind of treat us differently when checking in. When I asked at check-in if they had my requests, Eduardo could have been a little more friendlier and more professional - instead he sternly said there were no notes and when I said I called twice long distance, explained what I asked for, he started talking in Spanish to his colleagues behind the counter and the 3 others who were not busy behind the counter were chuckling and laughing with him - that made me very uncomfortable as a guest as they were making fun of me. I told him I spoke to the concierge twice and hand wrote my request when booking it on the dreams website, so he looked a little further and then said that he found the notes but he still did not meet any of my requests - so what was the point of calling? Our rooms were separated, they did not have our Anniversary special request done up, no roll away bed in the spare room. It was a little disappointing the first afternoon/night. When I spoke to Sergina the concierge the next day and introduced myself, she remembered my name and the first thing she asked was - did you get your request? Now that is how all staff should be, well versed in their jobs. Unfortunately the first night my husband and I could not sleep because the bed was soft and the pillows were very high - and unfortunately to my surprise my anniversary special was a dead cockroach in the bathroom, because Eduardo had placed us right next to the freight elevator - nice Anniversary special. I approached the front desk the next morning and the manager (who on the previous day was chuckling with Eduardo), asked if I wanted to switch rooms and I said yes - guess what, we now moved right next to our son's room - we got our anniversary special and our room was so much better equipped than the previous room, our boys got their rollaway bed, I could enjoy the rest of my vacation - so why did they not do it the first day baffles me?? just left a sour taste which could have been avoided - the resort was not even full because of low season.
On the positive note of the 4 stars, The food was awesome in all the restaurants - the service was excellent and all the servers and entertainment staff were very obliging and nice. I must recommend that Gregorio the head concierge was very helpful during our full vacation and patiently explained and helped us, as was Victor the server on the beach, working tirelessly to get your orders and Julio the happiest server in Cocos bar and also Portofino - I loved his energy. Not to forget Fernando and Valentino and all others who try their best to make our stay special. So travelers - if you find that these staff are helpful, please do give them extra tips even though we have prepaid for the all inclusive package. Even if it is $3 or $5 - they appreciate anything that they get and are very thankful. If you do not want to tip, then please do not walk away without saying thank you to them - that is the least you can do. I say this because a party of 7 who ordered 30+ dishes sat next to us in Portofino and just walked away without even saying thank you to the server.
I know I started with a negative note but by the end of our 4 days short Anniversary vacation I think my cockroach was a present in disguise. As I mentioned above, we were fortunate to participate in the Turtle release - they had 253 turtles and all of us got to hold and release one - a great memory. On the last day my boys wanted to go kayak fishing - although the weather was not good in the early morning they did oblige the boys later in the morning of their last day - one son lost his fish to a pelican who perched himself by the kayaks waiting for a free fish - but our other son caught a fairly big fish that the kitchen was kind enough to grill for us. If you can ask for a higher floor if available and try and get rooms 1-15, they have better and clear views of the ocean with no palm trees coming in the way. Sunset is awesome and my boys loved the jungle hike. As for me, it was all about the ocean, the warm water and waves and floating amidst the beauty of Puerto Vallarta. Hope you too have a good time.

Room Tip: If you are not in the preferred tower then ask for a higher floor if available and try and get rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 9LoveVacations9
Papamoa, New Zealand
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful 10days at Dreams.It could not have been more perfect!!!,Our N Y based daughter & 5 year old grand daughter joined us & we had such a great time we are already planning another trip for a similar time next year.!!,While this is their rainy season do not be put off by the weather reports which usually say thunderstorms & sun.The storms are generally short lived & serve to cool things down a little & because it is so mild you can still do any activities you had planned.The sun invariably emerges around lunchtime & 5 hours of brilliant sunshine is enough for most people.!!!The lightning displays at night were amazing.We stayed in the older tower which was great.Big rooms,very comfy beds(you can choose the type of pillow you want) all the mod cons & best of all,every room has the most amazing sea views.We stayed on the 20th floor( actually10th) which was wonderful.Our granddaughter absolutely loved the Explorer Kids Club,we had trouble keeping her away!!,Its quite educational with an emphasis on nature,the highlight being the release of tiny baby turtles nearly every night we were there.This was soooo special.!!!All the on site restaurants were excellent & because there was only 60% occupancy it was easy to get in to any restaurant we chose.Food was beautifully fresh with artistically presented dishes.EVERYTHING was included in the price except if you wanted to drink a specific bottle of wine,all other alcohol is included!!!!The staff were great but make sure you tip them as I suspect their wages are minimal.There are 3 lovely swimming pools & the hotel is quite strict about not reserving sun loungers,which is a pleasant change!!!The beach is excellent ,pristine sand,sometimes strong surf but well patrolled,lots of shade if required.There are lots of activities on offer at the resort so consequently we did not explore Puerta Vallarta or surrounds,we were there for a family holiday & absolutely loved it!,,,We did feel the Spa was overpriced but by sitting through an hours presentation we were able to negotiate 2 spa treatments as a gift!!!Well worth it!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer wonderful views although all rooms face the sea.In the older tower go for a balc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family