“coming back”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arizona City, Arizona
“coming back”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

what can i say , had the best time, the staff was amazing! my wife and i are already planning our trip back within 2 months , oh wait the food was really good more than i had expected . the two resaurants in the corners are good but i wanted authentic and i got it haha my wife got worried i kept going back to the little sction where they make the sopes' OMG they were so hard to put down ......must win lotto, must win lotto!!!!

Room Tip: do not bring a strait iron haha you can forget about it. oh ya at airport do not stop to talk to guy...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sals270

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,545)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've just returned home from our 1 week trip and it was phenomenal! We arrived on July 13 and left on the 20th. From the first moment we arrived when we were greeted by the Head Concierge to our departure as we were said goodbye by Bethy, the Assistant Concierge, it really did feel like home.

Check in: Quick and it was done in only a few minutes and then we were met by a VIP staffer for final instructions or to answer any questions.

Accommodations: Our room was beautiful with a Happy Anniversary banner on our door. As requested, the 2 girls (17 and 18) were in the adjacent room. We stayed in the Dreams Tower and couldn't have asked for a better room for us and the girls.

Food: I had seen pictures of the lamb shanks provided by other readers and upon seeing those, my mouth watered because I remembered how delicious they were. Sure enough, I had some again at Portofino and it was as delicious as ever. If you like steak, do try the short rib (more like a New York steak) at the Seaside Grill and order the shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. If the timing is right you can see the pelicans diving for fish in the nearby shallows. This time we were met at the table by Fausto the Chef at the Seaside. What a treat it was to meet and chat with him about his experiences at the DPV.

And of course, in Mexico, you have to eat Mexican food. El Patio did not fail to deliver once again.

Beaches: The beach was awesome with lots of chairs for everybody. If guests left towels but no personal effects, it was assumed that they've been abandoned and the beach waiter would quickly clean the area and prepare the area for the next guests.

Pool: Even though this was our 3rd time at DPV, we have yet to sit by any of the pools although we could see a lot of folks sitting around and enjoying themselves.

Overall: This hotel is run so efficiently that for most people, they don't see what is happening while they're sleeping. Being an early riser and at the gym by 6:15 everyday, I could see the staff busily preparing the hotel for the oncoming day. I could smell the bacon being cooked for breakfast and once, my timing was perfect and I had freshly baked hot apple turnovers to go with my pre breakfast coffee at the Coco Café. For breakfast, although they had all kinds of various foods to meet just about every taste, I had daily feasts of ever changing breakfast dishes comprised of sopes, flautas, tamales, quesadillas, etc.

I could see the staff having meetings just before they opened up they're various sections and I could only imagine this as being somewhat of a motivational huddle.

I met Mrs Esmeralda Alacala, Dreams' Assistant Manager and Mr. Noe Muñoz, the Food and Beverage Manager. We couldn't help but to seek them out personally to thank them for such a fabulous week. We are already planning on returning next year for 2 weeks :)

So in closing, a couple of do's and don't:

Do enjoy the special dinner events and shows. We went to just about every show and theme dinner. Of course my favourite was Mexican Party night.

Do go see Adriana in the bar, Yaritza in the Coco Cafe and of course Raul in the International Cafe for breakfast or lunch. You'll be genuinely impressed by their hard work and dedication though you'll see this in very person working at DPV.

Do visit Puerto Vallarta. It really is a beautiful city and full of hidden charms.

Don't let yourself be called in the Tequila Shops on the Malicon. These are fronts for timeshares. If you like tequila, best tequila prices are El Coyul, La Playa and Vinos Americas.

Do see Celine in VIP services if you want to know about the various programs. She is truly amazing.

Do seek out Christian, one of the activities' coordinator. He'll always ensure that you're provided with all kinds of choices to keep you active or entertained but if you're like me, you may just want to rest on the beach in the afternoons.

Don't be afraid to see what the beach vendors have to sell. We've never felt any pressure to buy but if you don't want anything, a simple no thank you will suffice.

There is a lot of controversy in the forums about tipping or not tipping. I started working in the service industry and now I always tip for excellent service. Tips are included in the price but I always add a little extra just because I'm so impressed by how hard they work. This being said, I have never seen anyone get less service or attention if they didn't tip. I take tipping to be a personal choice to do so.

Our next trip is at Secrets Maroma in 2 weeks which is part of the same chain as DPV. I'm curious to see how they'll compare.

Room Tip: We had 1914 in the Dreams Tower. It was recently remodeled and offered a spectacular view of the ar...
6 Thank Denis G
Dupont, Washington
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our first time at an all-inclusive. We loved the resort. Incredibly relaxing. Great people working here. Some of the highlights for us: Oswaldo, the chef at Oceano--two of the best dinners that we have ever had. Beautiful presentations of food--every single dish, each and every course, an artistic, delicious dinner. Great service from Jaime. Great service and food at all the restaurants. El Patio is a beautifully-decorated restaurant. Even the quick, walk-up Barefoot Grill at the beach puts out great food by two friendly cooks. Victor, bringing drinks down at the beach, was great.

Another highlight was the Adventure Center staff, including Freddy, Oscar, Valentino, and Tony. The Adventure Center runs dozens of activities throughout the day, from water aerobics to yoga to crafts to volleyball to kayak trips to dance lessons. They also are key extras on the evening shows and escort a nightly trip into the downtown discos. I do not know when they sleep, but they are clearly an integral part of the resort, adding great value to the experience, and if I were management, I would be sure to keep these people very happy. The highlight of our trip was a jungle trek led by Freddy--not for younger kids or the out of shape. We went on a number of adventures before getting to Dreams, but going on this free jungle trek with my son was the highlight of our time in Mexico for me.

Other highlights included the beautiful grounds, great staff at the Kids Club, fantastic service from both the day and evening maids, great staff at the spa. Some of the nightly shows were fantastic, particularly the Fire show and the Circus show. The Caribbean show would be there as well if all the numbers focused on the beautiful dancing, particularly between couples (rather than a Las Vegas showgirl feel).

On the negatives, we did have some problems with the room, although we did not go to Dreams to stay in the room so we focused on the outside. The magic show was not good at all, with far too much talking--maybe he was having an off night as well. He also is the same person who does the mind reading show the next night, so we skipped it. The worst part was that the entire show was conducted in English. Almost half of the audience was from Mexico--vacation time in Mexico--which made the experience more cultural for us. However, the magician was insulting to the non-English speaking audience. At one point, a participating audience member chose someone from the audience and was told to pick someone else because it had to be someone who understood English. Some of the audience walked out. This is in contrast to the MC of each show who did such as fantastic job flawlessly moving between Spanish and English. Another lowlight was the balloon guy at the Caribbean show who wrote vulgar messages on many of the balloons for adults and pushed heavily for tips.

Having said that, it was a great vacation for us. Beautiful people working at the resort, fantastic beach and grounds, delicious food. We would love to return someday.

1 Thank ProfLonghair
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 20, 2013

What the resort lacked in luxury (which wasn't much to be honest..), they made up in their service. Everyone was incredibly polite and consistently hardworking. They continually asked us if they could help us with anything. We had a family of 70, and they helped each and every one of us with such care. They all knew exactly what they were doing! Any worker we crossed, would say good morning or good day or even just a hello and a smile. Some even asked if we needed anything and how we liked our stay. They made conversation with us, and that just makes it all better! It was a beautiful resort with a soothing private beach and three extravagant pools. Much recommended!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautiful ocean view!
4 Thank Kajal B
Arkansas
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Great food. That is why I keep coming back. The staff is very friendly and bend over backward to make all your dreams come true. I will go back again. I stayed in the old tower the first two times and this time in July of 2013 I stayed in the new tower in the small suite. It had plenty of room and the balcony was awesome to sit and relax and even watch as the rain fell in the evening. Great place for an all-inclusive. BB

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floor to have a better view. And opt for the new tower.
4 Thank funtravellerArkansas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family stayed here for a week. Read "A Tale of Two Towers" review by david c: it accurately represents our experience.
The positive aspects of our stay were: smooth transportation to/from the airport, friendly, efficient greeting at the resort, quick check-in. Rooms were clean and AC worked well. Food at the restaurants was mostly very good, great variety, and excellent service. Beach was clean and chairs were easy to find. Explorers Club for kids was wonderful! Fitness Center has good cardio and weightlifting equipment. Staff are very friendly and helpful.
The watch-outs include: everyone trying to sell you something! The travel agency that Dreams Resort chose for our airport transportation tried to sell us excursions while they "confirmed" our return trip to the airport. Vendors walk up and down the beach trying to sell you goods or activities constantly. When the resort explains their coupons, they also try to sell you on attending a sales pitch for their other resorts. (The coupons, by the way, are a rip-off since you can only use 1 at a time for specific, already-overpriced services.) We also were charged for toll-free calls from our room, and there is no free internet service. There is not even free internet service in the lobby or other common areas, which similar resorts offer. Night-time entertainment at the resort (mind reader, magician) is not very entertaining.

All of this would have been minor had it not been for the different experiences my family had at the two resident towers. Some of our family stayed at the Preferred Tower; I was not so lucky. There is nothing wrong with the Dreams Tower, as long as you do not know the amenities available in the Preferred Tower. If you want free towels, internet service, concierge, coffee and snacks in the lobby, efficient elevators, etc., etc., then stay at the Preferred Tower. Over at the Dreams Tower, the elevators were always busy, or broken. You have to sign in/out for towels at the main pool. There are no alcoholic beverages available other than a few bottles of beer in the fridge. Even the shower amenities were missing - we didn't get bath gel, shower cap, mending kit, etc., until halfway through our stay. The pool near the Dreams Tower is a decent size but has tiles chipping off and cracked cement.
Overall this is a nice vacation spot if you stay at the Preferred Tower and don't mind constant sales pitches.

Room Tip: Stay at the Preferred Tower.
4 Thank RickyBobbie
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Dreams Puerta Vallarta from July 8-13, 2013. We had an amazing time! The hotel itself is an older structure, but the grounds are beautiful. The beach is private--tucked between two rock jetties. This is a good thing--because I have heard from other vacationers of PV (that weren't on private beaches), that they were constantly harassed by vendors. This doesn't happen at Dreams PV. There are a few vendors selling dresses, towels, etc., but they aren't bothersome. If you are looking for a brisk morning beach run at the Dreams PV, you'll have to settle for jogging back and forth between the rock structures. The beach has many places to lay out--no need to get up early and reserve a spot. The water is perfect--cools you down nicely. There was some debris (since it's rainy season), but once you got past that, the water is clear. We were taken snorkeling by one of the beach vendors (Orlando)--took a private boat ride not far from the resort--and the water was FILLED with tropical fish. You can even spot a few fish swimming near the resort if you pay attention. I definitely recommend snorkeling if you're looking for a fun (and potentially unplanned) day-time activity.

The weather for this time of year went like this: morning- humid until 11AM, beautiful all day, rain/thunder storm at 7PM that lasts for an hour, beautiful all night. Heads up--this is the rainy season, so there are bugs! A lot of flies unfortunately... so bring your bug spray! The service at the hotel was great! Everyone was very kind and helpful. Front desk, concierges, bar tenders, wait staff, cleaning staff--kudos to them all. We found no issues with anyone.

For an all-inclusive, the food was amazing. We didn't have any meals that we didn't enjoy (although we avoided the buffet). We had breakfast every morning at Oceana (which has beautiful views). For dinner Oceana (try the steak and shrimp), El Patio, Portofino and Seaside Grill did not disappoint. Even our room service was delicious. Shout out to the chefs! The drinks we're great--top shelf liquor. Corona and tequila is what PV is known for! One small complaint--the availability of bottled water. We had bottled water in our room, and we could request more at any time. However, there was no where else on the resort where you could just casually pick up a bottle of water (not the bars, restaurants, towel stands, front desk, etc).

We did not stay in the Preferred Tower--but our room was still very nice. We had a balcony with a picturesque view of the ocean and beach. With the way the resort is laid out--I think the majority of the rooms are equipped with beautiful views.

We're not really "pool people," but the adult-only Infinity Pool was a hot spot. The other pools were nice, BUT they were filled with children. So, if you're not with children (and/or are trying to avoid them on your vacation), stick to the beach or the Infinity Pool. I did find it odd that the swim-up bar was located in a pool that allows kids.

Other than the resort, the city of PV is beautiful as well. If you have time, I would recommend venturing out into the city. Taxis will pick you up right at the hotel, and it's very simple to find a taxi back. I found that the majority of people spoke English. If you have a chance, stop by the PV Flea Market (in town). A quick taxi ride--and you'll find some great stuff! We also did the Outdoor Adventures zip-lining trip--it was AMAZING. We rode mules, zip-lined through BEAUTIFUL mountain terrain, repelled down a waterfall... it was a very fun-filled action-packed day. I recommend it (heads up: they don't allow you to take pictures or bring cameras on this trip--so leave your camera at the hotel).

All-in-all, the trip was great, the hotel the beautiful. Everything we could have asked for. I would recommend the Dreams Puerta Vallarta to anyone!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple