“Kinda disappointed..a lot changed since my stay in February”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, IL
“Kinda disappointed..a lot changed since my stay in February”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here in February and LOVED it! So much so that instead of going back to Dreams Villamagna this trip (my go to resort) I came back to Dreams PV. Where do I begin? Check in took 20 minutes. There were two people working and finally a third came up to help with the line. I checked in at 1pm, so it wasn't at a prime check in or check out time. I had emailed back and forth with the Chief Concierge Jose as well as the Vacation Club as I'm a member about my room, expected time of arrival, etc. The room I received, was exactly what I requested and paid for. I was happy with it. They were very accommodating of fumigating my room for biting insects as I'm highly allergic (have to carry an epi pen w/me at all times) and not putting me on the ground floor. Since my room wasn't ready, I was given the hospitality suite to change into my swimsuit (very nice and appreciated). Upon entrance to my room, I noticed that while it was clean, I couldn't get it to cool. It was very warm and stuffy in there even with the fan they had in there (I think it was more of a dehumidifier), but regardless. I had mentioned this to the front desk staff a few times and was told someone would fix it, but that never happened. I can't sleep when I'm hot and sweaty so I maybe got 2 hours of sleep each night. Not good. Especially when you're on vacation and came to relax/de-stress.

If you wanted a pool lounger, you had to get up at the crack of daybreak unless it was down-pouring outside. When I was there in February, it wasn't like this at all like it was during this trip. It was obnoxious. There were so many people, everywhere. In the main pool by mid-day there were leaves floating in it, people's dirty cups and straws, kids spilling their drinks everywhere in the pool, families taking over the entire stairway into the pool and having their kids lay there since it's so shallow. You would have to wait in line for a drink for 10 minutes. Bees and flies were circling the bar area. It was pure insanity! The adult only/relax pool was just as bad, but it was filled with bird poop. You would have to watch where you walked in that pool so you didn't step in it. Literally, not exaggerating here. People all around me were talking about it and how disgusting it was. One lady stopped me from stepping in some. Amazing. After that, I got out of the pool. Of course with the, what 12 loungers, they have at that pool people were saying they were setting their alarms for 6:00 am to put their stuff down to ensure a lounger. That's not vacation to me! Dreams really needs to do something about this. Not sure how, but they need to expand the area. One day there were so many people in the adult only pool it reminded me of the Polynesian pool at Disney during their super busy times. For those who haven't been this means you literally could not move or you would brush up against someone else. Ugh. Felipe, the bartender at the bar over there, held up great! He worked his butt off! Fernando, who I had loved last trip, seemed to be overwhelmed during this one. Could be because they had him working such a huge area (half the beach and the adult only pool) and there were swarms of people everywhere. I'm not sure why they didn't have more workers to accommodate all of their guests to give them better service. Fernando did what he could, but he's one guy for 150-200 people.

The pool issues aside, the beach was also dirtier this time around. I saw guys out there cleaning it up in the mornings, but in the afternoon I'd go to the beach after being done with the obnoxious pool scenes and there were dirty cups, straws, and half eaten food, all over the sand. Obviously the guests were doing this (why there was such disgusting behavior during this trip is beyond me), but it needs to be picked up. All of the dirty cups and dishes bring bees and flys. Gross. There was also tons of I guess seaweed everywhere. I didn't notice that in February. However, there was always a lounger available on the beach somewhere, so that was good. Not sure why they only have the padded loungers at the pools and not at the beach, but they should have them at the beach as well IMO. I want to be comfy there too!

Ivan at El Patio took great care of me! He is a gem and remembered me from my last visit. I loved the food there (seriously fantastic ask for their habanero salsa if you like spicy) and the fact that it had A/C was definitely a bonus after being outside in the heat and humidity all day. The other servers were all equally as friendly, as they would stop by to say hello and chat with me. I ate there each night :-) I had wanted to go to Oceana for their escargot, but I was so overheated by the time dinner time rolled around, back to El Patio it was! I didn't go to Portofiino as during my previous stay it was sub-par (the food, not the service). Seaside Grill for lunch was just as good as I remembered (Aguachile ceviche and their fajitas are great) as was Oceana for breakfast (try their Huevos Motulenos).

Enrique at the lobby bar is the best!!! That man makes handling a crowd of 20 that all roll up to the bar at the same time look effortless. He's also a lot of fun to chat with! If you're not sure what to order, tell him what type of drink you're looking for (sweet, not sweet, vodka, gin, etc.) and he'll whip something up that is beyond delicious! Just like Ivan, he has a great memory and remembered me as well. To me that's just flattering as these guys have to see thousands of people. I just wish there were more heavy duty fans that could blow air in the bar area of the lobby bar as the ceiling fans barely made a dent in the hot and humid conditions. There was one heavy duty floor fan for the entire bar area (the area where the tables are had a bunch of heavy duty misting fans). Sometimes others would take it over and have it just on them. Can't blame them since I did the same thing a few times, but it would just be nice for everyone sitting at the bar to be comfortable and not sweating. Enrique is my favorite employee of mine at Dreams PV. I look forward to seeing him and catching up during my next trip. If he's working the bar, you're in for a treat. I still am not a fan of Desires. That place is just odd to me. Am I the only one who feels this way? I seriously can't be since no one is ever in it.

Also, why is Absolut only at the Lobby Bar and not at the pool or beach bars? At the pool or beach bars they only had Smirnoff and some other vodka (didn't recognize the name). The Lobby Bar even had flavors of Absolut. Not sure why they carry lesser quality liquor at the pool unless they are trying to save money that way.

Check out took a whopping 40 minutes. Seriously. I timed it. What a disaster area that was. Why aren't there more people working the desk, especially during peak times? Why do people have to go complain about the blatantly obvious fact that there are tons of people checking out, the line is not moving and once again, only two people are behind the counter? (Note: I wasn't even the person complaining, I just saw and overhead them doing so.) Then and only then is another person coming around to help. Not the best way to end your trip and if that's your last memory of Dreams PV i.e. you're leaving for the airport, it's not a good one.

Overall, would I come back? Yes, but in February (check out my last review of Dreams PV, I raved about this place) to give it a third chance. I would not come back in a summer month. Not sure if it's like that there all summer long, but I did not enjoy myself half as much this trip. Maybe there were just a ton of guests who littered so badly the staff couldn't keep up? Not sure, but regardless, I'm not a fan of seeing stuff floating in pools that shouldn't be in there, or thrown around the beach in the sand attracting bees and flies. I also didn't like the fact that the A/C didn't properly work in my room. Prior to staying at Dreams this trip I stayed at Hotel Catedral downtown for a night and their A/C worked so well I had to turn it down from high to low! They only charge $45 a night whereas we all know Dreams charges a heck of a lot more. I expect to have working A/C in my room. If you're looking for a place to stay downtown I recommend Hotel Catedral (I wrote a review on my stay there too). I have a trip booked for 10 nights in February 2014. I'm bringing my nephews, niece and mom. Originally we were going to stay a couple of nights at Dreams Villamagna and then move over to Dreams PV for the remaining 8 nights. Now, I'm thinking maybe Dreams PV for 2-3 nights and the rest at Dreams Villamagna, or the entire trip at Dreams Villamagna. As of right now, I only have Dream Villamagna booked (changed it with United Vacations after I got home from this trip). I work too hard for my money to not fully enjoy myself while on vacation.

For those that say people who complain about this resort will never be happy. I'm here to say that's just not true. I've stayed here before and was super happy. It's just the blatant differences I noticed between my trip in February and this trip in July that effected my rating and experience. Check out my reviews. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank AimeeMichele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,569)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My sister and I got such a fabulous deal and we were beyond pleased with the value we got. Dreams was such a great resort. The service was fabulous, the food was amazing, the rooms were beautiful. This was my first time to stay somewhere that provided turn down service. Very nice! The beds were so comfy and we had a sitting area as well. We had a private beach and the resort was just far enough away from town to enable us to really relax. However, downtown was just a $6.00 cab drive away. There were 5 restaurants to choose from, one was a buffet. All the others served such beautiful plates of food you hated to eat them! They seated you and placed the napkins in your lap. Oooh la la! The staff was so friendly and helpful you even had a waiter serve you while you sunbathed on the beach or were hanging out in the pool. The entertainment was first class, everyday there was a "Drink Of The Day", room service and the minibar were free of charge. I loved the sense of security we had. Whenever you leave the resort they take your room number and the cab number and check again when you return. We felt safe everywhere which is very important to travelling single women.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the beach, there are no bad rooms!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank TEXCHIKK63
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

After extensive research on resorts in the area, my fiancé and I decided upon Dreams to host our wedding. The staff at this resort are incredible, always more than willing to do what they can and always with a smile on their face. The resort is awesome, we stayed in the preferred tower and loved every second. Food is excellent at all restaurants, WHEN we go back we will not go to Portofino, not because of the food, but food at the other restaurants is excellent and you don't have to wear pants, like you do at Portofino. The beach is amazing as well as hotel grounds, any review that says this place is old and didn't have a good time are people you wouldn't want to be around anyway. Amazing place! Amazing staff! The moment we pulled up, we were treated like royalty! The concierge even said "Welcome home!" Nice touch! The room was beautiful and always clean thanks to Patricia! Food was great as was the resort entertainment! Felipe, the bartender at the tiki bar was entertaining, personable, and we just loved him! Our preferred tower concierge Salvador always greeted us with a warm smile our bartender Eduardo was the same, always made us feel important and welcome! During our stay we never wanted for anything. Our wedding was magical and I truly appreciated the wedding coordinator Fatima and our amazingly talented sweetie pie photographer Cristeel! Everyone at this resort deserves a huge pat on the back for their exceptional customer service skills! I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay here. Will definately go back and will not think about a different resort. Out 10 I give this place a 12!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Cmettz
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The staff here were wonderful and we felt so spoiled. The food was very good and plentiful. We tried all the restaurants and our favorite was the oceana. The ceviche on on the beach was delicious. The pools were crowded, but we hung out at the beach. Our room was beautiful and had a balcony and we were on one of the highest levels so the view was spectacular. We saw dolphins while on our balcony. The staff were very helpful and not pushy. The drinks were plentiful. Very relaxing, clean and excellent staff.

Room Tip: Ask to be on a higher floor. They were very accomodating. We stayed in the older tower and the bath...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary G
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I can't say enought to urge you to pick DREAMS RESORT AND SPA IN PUERTO VALLARTA!!! This is my second stay! Unbelievably even more spectacular then my first:-) I am already planning on going back again next Year! I just want to tell everyone how wonderful DREAMS is... A private beach and luxurious accommodations in THE CLUB TOWER the spectacular surroundings made even better by the fabulous staff who so graciously go out of their way with such such superb service and just to name a few Salvador at the concierge check in in The CLUB TOWER and Edwardo the conceirge bartender, Esparanza my awesome maid who gave me what ever i needed with a bright Smile! Hector the guy with the British accent who showed us the Dreams Suite that we decided to upgrade to and the kindness he showed my son. Gilbert in maintenance and who can forget David in The seaside grill the most accommodating waiter i have ever Met! PLEASE REMEMBER WITHOUT THE STAFF TO COMPLIMENT THE BEAUTIFUL LUSH TROPICAL PARADISE WHAT FUN WOULD YOU HAVE SO I SAY TIP!!!!!!!! JUST BECAUSE IT IS ALL INCLUSIVE DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T:-) WELL SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER DREAMS AND ALL WHO MADE IT WONDERFUL FOR MY SON AND I. 5 STARS ALL THE WAY YOU WON'T BE SORRY! OH AND FREE WIFI!!!!:-) NOELLE p.s do the extreme dolphin Adventure!

Room Tip: Stay in THE CLUB TOWER in a Jr suite w a jacuzzi on balcony for your first trip and next time try th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank noelle d
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to start off by saying that the food at this hotel is exceptional! Unlike some other resorts where its mostly buffet style, this one makes each meal with the utmost quality and care.
A couple things to point out is that the original Dreams tower needs a remodel. The rooms are pretty dated. I was told the tower is over 40 years old and was once owned by Liz Taylor. If you stay at this hotel and you want modern rooms, try to choose Preferred Tower. It's a lot newer.
The beach at this hotel is beautiful! The hard working staff finely groom the sand at the beach everyday. Which brings up another point. The staff here is fantastic! Everyday they tell you hello and how they can help you. They are very friendly and hardworking. My only disappointment is the pool. The pools are just too small for the size of the resort. The one general pool is always packed with kids and no more room for anyone else. Which leaves only the adult pool available that can hold about 15 people before the water turns into bath water. Hardly ever any seating available by that pool. Unless you can claim a spot first thing in the morning. Overall the hotel and location is nice, but needs some updating and reconstruction of pools to accommodate more people.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank zbass11
sherman oaks
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Where do I begin...if I had to recommend one hotel to anyone traveling to PV, only stay here. We arrived and were greeted with a cold lemon towel, fruit juice, and champagne. Check in was smooth, our room was clean, comfortable, and great view of the ocean on the 6th floor. Could not ask for anything better.

Service: Beyond words. The staff really does a good job. Thanks to Tony for the towels when we were out, and our two favorite waiters, Felix and Manuel; great guys. Tips go a long way here. They remembered us and made sure wherever they saw us they took care of us.

Food: Let me just begin by saying this is the best food I have ever had in any mexican hotel. Top quality seafood, steaks, and fresh and neatly presented. Oceana and Seaside were the best for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. El Patio was good as well. World Cafe is not bad for breakfast and CoCo cafe is good for a small sandwich on your way to your room.

Spa: Did a comp 25 minute massage, wonderful service and facility.

Pools: The only swim up bar was where all the kids and families were, that was annoying a bit but the serene endless pool (adults only) was really nice, and the jacuzzi. The drinks at the pool and in general were just okay. You really have to ask them to pour the alcohol, and the highest quality is never available; which is okay I guess.

Other than that, a great and relaxing trip, at a wonderful hotel. My money was well spent in evewry possible regard.

Room Tip: All views in any room are good, trust me.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple