“Great Family Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winnipeg
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived April 3rd and check in took an hour. We were at the front desk for a long time then to the "VIP Services" / Timeshare. Going to the VIP Services really upset me. I told front desk I didn't want to have anything to do with this part of check in but made us go to the VIP services anyways. They sure wasted our time and gave us a run around. VIP said they could upgrade us to a room for $75.00 with a balcony for 10 nights. Front desk told us there were no rooms available with a balcony and 2 double beds but VIP services assured us it was available. We go up to our room which was a king bed and a roll out bed. We are a family of 4 so there was no bed for 1 of our children. Now we had to be moved to our original room. What a hassle this was and the kids were getting very impatient as I was. We wanted to go to the beach. I called front desk and spoke to them very nicely and let them know how disappointed we were in them and didn't appreciated the run around we had. We received a phone call 5 minutes later telling us we were being offered a free upgrade to the preferred tower. We took it and moved to our room immediately to settle in. The room was lovely and the view was beautiful. I wouldn’t say it is worth the upgrade. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the old tower except many rooms don’t have a balcony.

Now for the good part.

The beach was a lot of fun & the kids had a blast playing in the waves. Just be careful as the waves are big & strong which made it very dangerous. The red flag was up almost every day we were there. My kids were disappointed that the water trampoline was broken when we were there. I love that the beach is private with mountains on both sides. The sand gets very hot in the afternoon so be careful not to burn the bottom of your feet.

We took the boat from Dreams resort to go snorkeling. This is a must as it is the best snorkeling I have done. We would’ve liked to have rented the jet skis but the prices were very high for 30 minutes. Dreams needs to lower their prices.

The main pool is good and the water was a nice temperature. The swim up bar service was really good. The Jacuzzis are adults only. I must've missed this one on Dreams website as I thought I was going to a kid friendly family all inclusive. My kids love the hot tubs so they were very disappointed. Some days kids were in the hot tub and were allowed and some days not allowed. This should be stated more clearly on the website or don't have the hot tub so hot so everyone can use it. I don’t like that you have to go down around 7:00am to reserve a chair at the main pool.

My kids didn't use the kids club so I can't comment.

The food was great. We went for breakfast at the buffet every morning. Lenoir makes the best omelets and always with a smile. My only complaint with the morning buffet was that there were no vegetables to be had. I usually make myself a BLT sandwich for breakfast instead of eggs every day and there was no lettuce or tomatoes. For dinner we ate mostly at Oceana & Seaside Grill. I was surprised that there was never a line up at the la cartes and at times only 1/2 full. We were able to eat at Portofino one night. It truly was an amazing meal. The menu is huge. I wish there was a larger selection of choices at Seaside & Oceana as I ordered the same 2 seafood dishes all the time. We ate at the Mexican once and found are meals okay. I spoke to many people who had a really good meal at the Mexican. I guess we ordered the wrong things.
Room service was AMAZING. The menu had a great selection and they were very efficient. My kids really liked room service.

There is a little hut on the beach in front of the old tower that is opened from 1-5. My kids really enjoyed this place as they make the best french fries.

The entertainment at night was enjoyable. The hypnotist was hilarious! My 8 year old daughter was cracking up through the whole show. The fire show is a really good one too.

We were lucky enough to be able to take part in the turtle release program. This truly is an amazing program.

We did 1 excursion to Las Caletas. We found it to be okay. The kid’s adventure club was okay. Kids get to go on a short zip line once, ride a donkey for a few minutes & have a monkey jump on your shoulder for 5 seconds. This took up an hour of our excursion.

The staff at Dreams is really friendly. They have photographic memories. They meet you once and remember your name the next day. A shout out to Oscar, EZ & Tony! These guys are great.

Favourite features that stand out about Dreams:
- no dinner reservations
- great food
- no towel cards
- no wristbands
- private, beautiful beach
- friendly service
- turtle release program
- beautiful view with amazing sunsets

All and all our trip was wonderful. Would definitely like to try another Dreams resort.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view so you can't really go wrong
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank tyzmartel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recently just got back from our wedding and couldn't be more pleased! Fatima (our wedding planner) made it so easy and stress free. She was very organized and responsive to all our inquiries and requests. Upon our arrival, she took care of everything and we didn't have much to worry about. It's nice to be able to say that we truly were able to take in and appreciate our big day.

The resort itself was fantastic. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that our guests were taken care of. We started our vacation at the preferred tower and our concierge Salvador was fantastic. He made check in quick and painless and we even got an upgrade at the latter portion of our trip because it was our wedding week! We had a little over 70 people attend our wedding and they all enjoyed their stay. It's great that they had so many different options of food. Their entertainment team works really hard to make sure there is something going on every evening.

The one negative feedback I received from our guests was regarding the wi-fi. They charged $15 a day for access. I don't mind paying for this but the problem was the connection. To describe it as spotty would be an understatement. Salvador did mention that they were doing a major over-haul of the infrastructure. Hoping that this will improve things.

Overall, it was an amazing experience and would recommend it to anyone that is considering doing a destination wedding. We're looking forward to going back soon!

5 Thank CharBear1980
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

First off, I've been to this all inclusive resort before. My most recent stay (10 days) was even better than I remembered... and the first time it blew my mind!

I am well traveled and I usually stay at all inclusive resorts. No other resort compares to this one! All of the fellow vacationers I meet say the same thing!
If you have not been to this resort.... BOOK YOUR STAY NOW! You wont regret it!

Their personable staff bend over backwards to please your every whim. Their waitstaff in any of the restaurants (or on the beach) are amazing and appear genuinely happy to be working there. Their entertainment staff are charismatic and humorous.

The food is plentiful, gourmet, and tasty. The presentation of all their dishes is something you would expect to find at one of the most ritziest hotels in the world. The whole experience will leave you impressed and feeling like royalty.

The facilities and amenities (beach, bathrooms, gym, bars, restaurants, pool area, lounge chairs, gardens, etc) are very clean and inviting day after day.

They have 2 intervals of maid turn down service. One approx between 11pm-1pm to clean up after you in the morning and another between 5-7pm to turn down your sheets and clean up after any mess you make in the afternoon.
They offer beautiful clean rooms with many all inclusive services including minibar, room service, wifi (if your in the preferred tower), dvds, etc. If you are not in the preferred tower you can buy wifi online at their hotel for $60/week. You can get service in your room, but it is slightly slow.

I have no complaints... this hotel will always be a favorite, and though we plan to travel to other destinations -- we will continue to come back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kninja
Calgary
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were a party of over 70 that attended a wedding in April. The check-in for us was very easy but majority of the party had some major issues! After a lengthy process and some serious arranging everyone ended up happy in the end.
Our room was beautiful and spacious! Always so clean and fridge always stocked! The Beach was very nice but we didn’t like the fact we didn’t get to do our long walks everyday! The meals were so great and the service was very good! We always were on the beach and the people selling on the beach were decent to deal with.
Our biggest issues were not the hotel directly it was out Travel Agent that we all had dealt with. Never dealing with Wish upon a Star Travel again…poor service and so many issues that arise from the hotel that they had told us was directly from the Travel Agent.
Went into town and took the local bus and that was fun. The shopping was great!

Love Puerto Vallarta and the people are fantastic! May not go back to Dreams as it was an expensive stay and not sure if it was worth it

Room Tip: Please note that there is two towers to chose from. One with balcony and one with just window. Pleas...
4 Thank EdmotnonTraveller
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dreams for our Honeymoon last year, and since we loved it so much we decided to come back for our Anniversary this year
This resort is Amazing We've been to a lot of resorts and this by far is our favorite, If your looking for a more relaxed place and a GORGEOUS PRIVATE beach then this is the place for you.
We stay in the preferred tower, but if you don't want to pay extra for the preferred we've heard that the regular room tower just got updated and is also supposed to be nice.
The food and drinks are awesome!!!!
we ended up staying here for a few days and then stayed at the new Now Amber/Secrets since that's where our friends were staying, and after a day at the Now Amber/Secrets we literally wanted to cancel out reservations and come back to the Dreams resort.
The employees at dreams were so nice and helpful they even remembered us from last year and we also noticed that the same people from last year were vacationing there again this year, that alone should tell you something!
We will definitely keep coming back to this resort!

6 Thank Sandals011
Belmont, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My (new) wife and I just returned from here for our destination wedding and the experience was AMAZING!!!!!
Our friends were married at the DREAMS in Cabo San Lucas and that was a fantastic wedding. So when it came our turn, we wanted to stay with the DREAMS chain but choose another location. DREAMS Puerto Vallarta provided an equally wonderful wedding and vacation experience.

Perhaps the greatest attribute of the whole experience was the value. With 59 guests plus us, the total dollar sum spent for the wedding plus our 7 day stay was a bargain. However, just because the price was extremely affordable, not a single detail was overlooked by the resort or the wedding planning department. Bottom line: on a dollar spent per unit of fun basis, this place is unbeatable.

Our wedding planner, Elian, was amazing. Relaxed, sweet, enthusiastic, attentive, and fun. We never felt "up-sold" for anything. She worked hard to help us stay within budget, but assured that we had a lovely wedding experience. Sometimes it was a bit difficult to get emails returned in the beginning, but as our date drew nearer, her level of attention picked up pace, and all of our details were attended in a timely and efficient manner. The wedding itself went off flawlessy and the resort staff took great care of us. Bottom line: they are well-rehearsed at weddings and their experience pays off, but we were never made to feel like we were "just another wedding."

The grounds of the hotel are lovely and well maintained. Since the resort resides in a cove, the beach is essentially private. That assured that the sand was groomed, trash on the beach was non-existent, and kids were free to wander without fear of them getting lost.

The restaurants were quite good. Sometimes certain restaurants seemed to have a somewhat limited menu, but since it's an all-inclusive, we just simply ate what we felt like and then went to another restaurant. And if we still needed more we just ordered from the 24 hour room service. Which, by the way, is a late night drinker's dream.

The staff. Perhaps the best part of the experience was the staff. Friendly, gracious, warm, hospitable, and just plain nice. We made new friends with a different staff member every day.

The praise can go on and on. (For the record, I an NOT affiliated with the hotel in any way. I just travel for a living and get a warm-fuzzy whenever a place makes me feel this welcome and "at home away from home." ) Yet, if I had to find fault then there are two points that could use attention: the wireless internet is poor, at best. If you need to stay connected while on vacation this could prove problematic. Secondly, if you are attempting to bring outside guests onto the compoud for your event, then good luck. That proved to be a slight problem for us, but the lesson leared was simply to meet our guests at the main gate and escort them in directly. The main security gate is reminiscent of Checkpoint Charlie, for better and for worse. Mostly for better.

If you are thinking about getting married in Mexico, or just simply sneaking away for a romantic get away, I would recommend this place without any hesitation at all.

6 Thank CaptChuck_11
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had 80 guests at the resort for a week and there was not one thing we would have changed. We had babies, kids, families, singles and couples. The resort, staff, food, activities and events were excellent. We planned the wedding with Eleane via email and by the time we arrived it was a short meeting to finalize the details. They are experts at this. Sit down meal and dancing all on the beach and it was perfection.
We have stayed at a number of all inclusives and this was our second time here for a wedding. The fact that it has the best private beach and swimming also adds to it success. No wristbands or reservations for dinners. They seem to handle it all. We used both the preferred and the main tower- there was something for everyone.
The night of the rehearsal dinner the kids left because the turtles were being released. Does it get any better for this?
Thanks to Eleane and all the wonderful staff for their hospitality and warmth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family