“Upgrade or not???”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Every time we vacation in an all exclusive we discuss whether or not we should upgrade or not. This was our 13th time and we decided not to. We had a beautiful room in Dreams tower and loved the location, room, 1625, with a balcony and great view of ocean, pools and entertainment on the beach. The third day we decided to take a look at the Preferred tower and although it had a bigger bathroom, the overall space seemed the same as ours, fancier bedcovers etc. but for $500.00 more, we didn't see the value in it for us. We loved the location of our tower, steps from Oceana, Marlin Bar and the beach where we parked ourselves everyday. The resort was running at full capacity the week after Easter and subsequently you had to get up at 7am to reserve a beach lounge or there were absolutely none left by 9am.
We absolutely loved the food everywhere and wonder at some of the reviews that were unhappy. There was always freshly cooked food at lunchtime and staff stood at their various cooking stations replenishing Mexican, stir frys, fish etc. constantly so it was always freshly made. We mostly had breakfast at Oceana and were really impressed with the service and a la carte menu. The view of course is wonderful and a perfect place to linger over another cup of coffee in the morning. Portofino is very impressive with an extensive menu with sensible portions so we could have 3 courses without overeating. We were happy with the seafood at all of the restaurants and this was our first trip where we had excellent filet of beef cooked to our liking. Seaside Grill was great for lunch and dinner and the location stunning.
I must add that one of us has a gluten allergy and the staff were aware of this and guided us through menus and buffets. They were always professional and extremely helpful.
This was our third Dreams experience and hopefully it won't be the last.

Room Tip: We stayed in Dreams tower 1625, which is at the end of the building so no-one is beside you on one s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robin C
Dreamspv, Quality Control at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Our main compromise at Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa is to create memories that will last a lifetime in all of our guests.
Thank you very much for your compliments to our Food & Beverage. We’ll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve.

Hope to host you again soon in this your home away from home.

It is a pleasure!

Esmeralda Alcala
Quality Control

Write a ReviewReviews (8,081)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My daughter and I spent a week here the last week of March. We could not have been more pleased with everything. The only glitch I had was on check in. I had on my reservation requested a room higher up after reading other reviews. On check in they were going to put us on the 3rd floor. After complaining they moved us to the 6th floor. I asked about upgrading to the new tower and was told it was completely booked so not an option. In fact I think the entire resort was completely booked. Even so we only had to wait a few minutes one night at a restaurant. We are not pool people so spent most of our time on the beach.Though they ask you not to save chairs people do so if you are a late riser you may be out of luck. We did yoga on the beach at 9, water aerobics and took the jungle trek. We tried to go fishing on a kayak one day but they only take 3 or 4 people so if you want to do this be down on the beach early.All of the previous activities included. We arranged a snorkel trip with another couple through a person named Orlando on the beach. It was great except they didn't have a ladder and hosting yourself up on a platform at my age is a challenge. We did one other excursion to a fishing village, horseback to waterfall, snorkel then lunch - very fun! All of the staff was friendly and helpful. I did take a lot of one dollar bills with me for tipping- no need to change money.
We went to several of the evening entertainments and enjoyed them. A note about the beach - it was a full moon the beginning of the week and the waves were large then became manageable. I highly recommend then resort and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank quartergreek
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I loved this resort. (They even treated RCI/Royal holiday Members, like us very nice.) Only a 40 minute cab ride south of the PV airport and about 15 minutes South of downtown. The private beach, seaside view rooms and the outstanding food makes this resort at the top of my list. All the rooms is both towers face the beach and have great views. Service was across the board the best we have has in PV.

Pros: This resort is all inclusive for everyone so no need for a wrist band. You have 6 restaurants to choose from and DO NOT need to make reservations like most other resorts. We just walked up and waited no more than 10 minutes at all 6 restaurants.

Food: The "World Cafe" is the buffet restaurant and was top notch food with an excellent variety of international foods that would please anyone for a week long stay. We ate breakfast there daily after some early morning pasteries and coffee from the Coco Cafe. They also have fruit cups and granola stuff too. Roomservice is 24 hours and has an excellent variety to choose from.

Beach: Is private and closed off by natural cliffs at both ends. Even in December, the water was warm and shallow for bodysurfing or boogie boarding. No rip tides and there are lifeguards on site. We don't have kids, but if you do, this is a safe beach for kids. Yes there are vendors on the beach, but they were all polite, not annoying and most were quite funney.

Towells: No waiting in line, just grab a clean towell when you need one. No towell turf wars- there were plenty of good chairs around the pools or on the beach by 09:00 and you don't have to get up at sunrise to save your spot.

Cigar and Coctail bar: Outstanding selection and a great view to enjoy.

Local attractions: There are many. Downtown is a 10-15 minute ride by cab or bus at the front gate. Surroundings are tropical/jungel and there is an on-site travel site to book your trips. The "Rythem of the Night" was outstanding and we attended it on 12-21-12 for fun.

Service: Very good in all areas. We tipped the Bartenders and Waiters 1-2 U.S. Dollars everytime they brought us drinks. They were very good about bring us fresh cold drinks before we were empty. If you don't tip, not smile and appear to be grouchy, service may be slower. I can't say I blame them. The Mango Daqueries are great!

Entertainment: Very good shows and there are lot's of activities ranging from shows, releasing baby sea turtles to current movies on wide screen beach shows.

Sales vendors: Actually very pleasant. We got the normal sales pitch upon arrival, but that was it. They did not pressure us or call us. Never had to deal with them again. The airport is getting worse every year. Airport Tip: Walk oustide and don't talk to anyone untill you are out the glass doors. Everyone inside is a Independant comissioned sales rep. trying to make a fast buck. The cabs outside do use a guy to seal the deal. A $5.00 tips works well and no waiting in lines. The cab drivers have to pay a fee to enter the airport. If you want to save a few bucks, walk across the pedestrian bridge to catch a cab or bus for much cheeper.

Cons: Exchange power. If you exchange points/weeks like we do, you will still have to pay the all inclusive fees. They will call you and e mail you untill you pay. We received letters from two seperate companies which we later found to be part of the resort. We paid upon arrival at the check in to advoid a scam. They did not take AMEX in December 2012 so plan ahead.

Currency: They do exchange currency from US or Canadian to Pesos, but not back to your home currency. They do give a competive exchange but plan ahead.

Pools: In December it appeared that both the adult pools were only solar heated. Cool, but not as warm as the ocean. The main pool, (and the only one with a swim up bar) was the warmest pool and filled with young kids. Maybee I'm just old fashioned but I have issues with enjoying an adult drink, (at a swim upbar), next to a kid wearing water wings. If you have kids, this pool is perfect for you.

The wife and I had a great week here and will always return when in PV. Hope this helped you and have a great vacation.

Room Tip: All the rooms have an "ocean View" the higher the floor the better. We were on the 16th...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Denverbeach
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our 11th trip to Dreams and as always a very enjoyable one.  Many of the reviews are very detailed so I will give one more from a family with young children perspective and our general likes.

Room: First off, we have stayed in both the old tower and preferred side and we find that the old tower is just as comfortable.  If you really need the space and a large balcony then the preferred side is the way to go.  They recently repainted the walls and retiled the bathtub in the old tower.  I find the location of the old tower more convenient when I need to go back and forth from the pool or beach multiple times in the day.  With the preferred side it was nice to have the tub on the balcony.

Food: If you have children who still drink milk daily just order 1 liter of milk from room service.  This saves you from ordering a glass of milk several times a day.  My eldest has been drinking the milk there for several years without any problems.  Don't be alarmed when the milk arrives in a tetra-pack and is not refrigerated.  The milk has been ultra-pasteurized.  My  children enjoyed the spaghetti with meat sauce, pizza and tortilla soup from room service.  Each of the non-adult restaurant had high chairs and children's menu.

My personal favorites has always been the escargots, calamari  and meat and seafood lovers at Oceana's.  The melted cheese appetizer, chicken mole and fresh fish ceviche at El Patio.  The onion soup and steaks at Seaside.  With young children we have not been able to enjoy Portofinos yet.  The portions at all the restaurants are small, but this allows you to have an appetizer and dessert without being to full.
Don't forget there is small shack on the beach in front of the old tower that is the Barefoot Grill for burgers, hot dogs, etc...for lunch and Coco cafe adjacent to the gift shop for espressos, cappicionos and snacks.

Activities:  We are what you would call helicopter parents (children always within our sights), but the kids club staff are really great that we allowed our daughter to attend it several times over the course of six days.  My daughter called it her school in Mexico and remembered the name of one of the staff from just spending an hour in there six months earlier.  Check the daily activity sheet called the sundial to find out what activities are available.  The children to kids ratios were really good, the only issue is you don't know the age range until you get there.  This is not the hotel's fault.  Sample activities included bungee trampoline daily around 11am, cookie making, arts and crafts, sand castle building, playing in the pool, movie nights on the beach, treasure hunt (happens only on Tuesday so don't miss out).

The activities staff are the best and more recently they have visiting professionals from tennis coaches, Pilates instructors to yoga instructor.

Location:  The location just can't be beat with the private beach.  The airport ride is just $260 pesos and the ride back is $160 pesos.  The hotel is only  a 10 minute cab ride to the Malecon (try going on a Saturday or Sunday evening as it is much more livelier).

Other:  The hotel offers free portrait sessions with no obligations to buy.  I would highly suggest Cris, she does an amazing job with young children.  We have used her twice already and were ver pleased with the results.
 If you can bring pesos.   Much more convenient and cost savings to use pesos.   We would tip based on the following in pesos, but you can do more or less based on your ability and the level of service you received: $40 for maid, $20 in the mini-fridge, $20 for turn down service, $50 for breakfast, $20 for lunch at barefoot grill or  $50 if at world cafe for lunch,  $100 for dinner, $50 for room service ($20 only if ordering only milk) and $100 two times a day if we have ordering drinks all day.   Even

This  was our first time during Easter break and there were plenty of palapas for the beach even with people reserving them early.  The pool area was a different story, as a common courtesy to other guests remove your towels if you're done for the day.  We have gone at other times in the year and this was never an issue before with people reserving chairs and there not being enough.   If you have a late flight ask for a late check out.  It cost us $10 US to stay until 2pm which allowed the kids to play longer and get in a nap.

Staff:  These individuals are really the star of this hotel.  We return year after year because of them.  Please tip as they really do work hard to make your stay pleasant.  Any complaints about staff not being fast enough or not smiling is just ludicrous.  Try running back and forth all day bringing drinks  in the hot sun, there is going to be a point in time where you might not be smiling.  They work anywhere from 10-12 hours a day.   Some specials thanks to:
Bethy for being the first smile we see as we arrive.
Jessica, Rubi and Alejendra from the kids club.
Juan, Tony, Oscar, Ezie and I'm missing a few people from the entertainment staff.
Analisa for keeping our room spotless even with the mess of two kids.
Lilia, Salvador, Ismael, Orlando, Christian, Daniel and a few others whose names escapes me at this time from the bar and restaurants.

See you again in a few months!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the less obstructed view. 1802 in old tower had great views and was down the h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank tranberry27
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I may mention a few critiques here, but this is meant to be guidance and none were sufficient to reduce a five star rating. It is my intention to be has helpful to you as previous reviewers were to me.

We traveled from 4/1/13 to 4/6/13, staying at Dreams PV for 5 nights. We brought two kids (ages 6 and 10). We booked the trip via the hotel website. The package included airfare and ground transportation. The confirmation document we got did not include the airline confirmation code, which you will need to “check in” ahead of time. I called United and they were able to find my information with my name and gave it to me. When you land in PV airport, go through customs, and collect your bags, you must successfully traverse a gauntlet of "liars" (to use a word from the person who eventually was helpful to me) in a room filled with dozens of apparent timeshare salespeople. They will ask you where you are staying, and then confidently direct you to a desk where you get a sales pitch. Once leaving the first person, others attempted to direct me to get further pitches. I kept going until I found someone with a clipboard with my name on it, and this was apparently the real contact. This was someone from Apple Vacations. Even though we booked through the hotel, we somehow got connected to Apple… which wasn’t a problem… just curious.

Dreams PV, as you will read elsewhere, greets you with a glass of champagne. There is a gentle timeshare-ish pitch (it's a frequent guest club I believe... but we did not partake); they will try to entice you into this by offering money towards hotel experiences or outside excursions. They offer coupons at check-in that you can use towards spa services (only one coupon at a time, though), wine, or a "romantic dinner on the beach." There was a relatively non-intrusive form to fill out, but as far as I know, there was no catch for accepting these coupons (we shall see).

We stayed in the Preferred tower, mainly following the advice on this site. I failed to ask for the recommended room higher than the 4th floor (we stayed on the 3rd), mostly because I was a wuss (they handed me my room keys already prepared), and I just wanted to be on vacation at that point. As it was, I was plenty happy with the view. There were some trees partially blocking the view of the ocean, but I did not see this as a bad thing. The one reason I might give for having more bravery is that the waves were quite loud at night and there was occasional noise from the pool area. We turned in early (around 10-ish) most nights, so the noise from the pool was sometimes a problem. This did not go on to the wee hours of the morning, and the waves eventually become pleasant white noise. The bedding is fantastically comfortable. I did not lose sleep. I did not see a room in the old tower to compare, but our accommodations were excellent.

Dreams PV has three pools (1 exclusively for adults), but our family spent many hours in or near the main pool. Towels are provided by the hotel. Chairs near the main pool are difficult to obtain. There is a "no reservations" policy that is completely ignored by staff and guests. By 9 AM, every (or very nearly every) chair by the pool has either a towel, a personal item, or a person on it. But at any time there is maybe 25% actual human occupancy. So unless you stake your claim first thing in the morning, you may have no place to put your own towel, shirt, sandals, glasses, or whatever you need to set down. You can "report" a reserved chair to staff, but the hotel policy says that the occupant of the chair is allowed an hour to return. I did move a towel or two in my time there (and once an empty lunch plate that someone had used as a placeholder). That aside, the pool was a wonderful place. We met a lot of people there and the kids made friends. They loved ordering drinks (especially the virgin "Dirty Monkey," which tastes like ice milk, chocolate, and bananas) from the swim-up bar. There is no lifeguard at any of the pools, so you need to carefully supervise your children.

We actually did not spend much time on the beach. Maybe we're not used to Pacific Ocean waves, but they were impressive with a strong undertow when we were there. We occasionally saw a lifeguard on the beach near the old tower, but (as suggested elsewhere here), it struck me as kind of dangerous for a swim (rocky terrain).

We ate most of our meals at the World Cafe (buffet). This is fast and convenient, which is important for families with small children. A few on this site criticized the food quality and lack of variety. While there were certainly some items I did not like, I enjoyed the vast majority of the food at the World Cafe. There are certain items that you can count on seeing at a particular meal, but there is more than sufficient variety in terms of your options at any given meal, and there are at least subtle changes from one day to the next. I was never bored with the food. We only tried two a la carte restaurants: Oceana and Portofino. Oceana is near the kid's club (Explorer's Club) and the old tower. In fact, you can either walk a short way on the beach, or THROUGH Oceana to get to the Explorer's Club (I might suggest to the hotel to place a path to minimize foot traffic through Oceana).

We only used the Explorer's Club for a few hours, in part to allow us to go to the adults-only Portofino. This was totally worth it. The food, service and ambiance was what you would expect at an upscale Italian restaurant. Be aware that they have a stricter dress code (long pants, collared shirt, dress, etc.)

Explorer's Club is open from 9 AM to 10 PM, and closes from 5 PM to 6 PM ("shower time.") You get a pager if you have younger children who cannot go about the premises on their own. You may not leave the hotel while your kids are in the club. There is a large playground, many activities, and the staff will take them to the pool and to the World Cafe for lunch and/or dinner, as applicable. When you sign them in, they need to be in dry clothes.

Activities are plentiful. You receive a briefing with most of the day's planned activities under your door every morning. There is also a board outside the World Cafe that lists them, though the times there were often wrong. When in doubt, ask the entertainment staff, but the briefing was always right in terms of when things would happen. At least one of us tried: yoga, bungee trampoline, beach football, Spanish lesson, Laser Tag, rock climbing, casino games, and many others. The casino games are just for fun (though a prize usually goes to the big winner). Evening activities included buffet dinners on the beach with dancing shows, a magician, and a hypnotist. The magic show was intended for a "close-up audience," and was mostly card tricks. We could not really enjoy it because there was a large crowd and could not see the action. Though there was a projection screen, the tricks were not always shown well. The same entertainer did the hypnosis show. I am a fan of such things, and I really enjoyed it (especially since I was in the show!)

Plan to gain weight on the trip. Since I am training for a sprint triathlon, I was hoping to at least stay active to mitigate the excellent food. I thought I saw a mention of a jogging trail, but they do not have one. They do have a gym with good treadmills that I used every morning. The stationary bikes need some repair (screen broken on one and both need straps for the pedals). Do not plan on swimming laps. There is nowhere to really do this, and the main pool can be crowded.

As you know by now, Dreams PV is an all-inclusive, so food and drinks are already paid for. FYI, what is not included is: spa services, bottles of wine, "romantic dinner on the beach," lobster (though I don't even know where you would get that), excursions (of course), and for some, internet. WiFi and lobby computers are available free for those in the Preferred tower, though the cost for renting it for all others is high. The WiFi was spotty, though there are several access points and usually one of them connected adequately. You get one access code… so one device at a time. At the time of this review, they had not added Dreams PV to the "Dreams Unlimited Connectivity" app advertised in the website as a way to make free phone calls using WiFi.

Housekeeping staff are attentive and pleasant. There are three services you can anticipate on a daily basis: 1) standard housekeeping, 2) refreshing the room's mini-bar, and 3) turn-down service (at least in the Preferred tower). When each of these happens is highly variable, but seemed to get earlier as the staff got to know us and our habits.

A few other points to make:

- This hotel is well managed. The staff is invariably friendly, courteous, and helpful. Those whose job it is to enter your room are trained to report valuables that they see left out in the room, and a report is made to management and you are given advice on how to secure them. There is a combo safe in each room for this purpose.
- I want to mention a few people that did a great job: our housekeeper Rosario, all entertainment staff especially Ezekiel, Lalo, and Oscar; and (the famous) Bethy who (among others) helped us to retrieve items our kids lost around the hotel.
- If you wish to see some culture, take a cab ride to El Malecon (the boardwalk). The cab ride itself can be an adventure, so hold on tight. Expect to pay $5 there and $6 back. The artists on the boardwalk do some amazing things in the hope of getting a tip. I suggest that you plan to use cash in town. Though I cannot prove it, on the premise that thieves work fast, I think my credit card number got stolen when I used it in town, as my bank caught unauthorized charges to Western Union and Robbins Brothers called in that day.
- My wife and daughters did use the spa and enjoyed it. I was playing beach football at the time, so that's all I can say about it.
- Please tip your housekeeper and waiters. It is not required. But even a small amount is genuinely appreciated.
- All desk staff speak English well. For others, it is variable. I enjoyed working out my high school Spanish a bit.
- I was impressed that they asked for feedback when you are checking out of the hotel. I was not nearly as voluminous then as I am now (sorry), but I am not trying to catch a cab to the airport now and I've had more time to think about it.
- Do not cut it close at the airport on your way back. We arrived about 2 ½ hours before our flight (on the advice of the Apple rep.), we waited at the United ticket counter for an hour and a half at Puerto Vallarta Airport just to check our luggage and get a boarding pass. And judging by the line stretching as far as I could see, we were the lucky ones.

You will not regret staying at this resort hotel. I hope our experiences are of some help to you.

Room Tip: Recommend higher floors for less noise and better views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Anthony T
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in Dreams Pto Vallarta for a long weekend. The food is good, the restaurants are kind of plain, though. Attention is nice but not the best. My favorite thing about this hotel was the room. The jacuzzi on the room terrace is nice and private, and the room is big enough to spend some time there having a drink or talking. When we arrived, they were nice enough to give us an hour in a hospitality room so we could change when our room was not ready yet.
This was very kind and thoughtful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fernanda E
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I vacationed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort from 3/13/13 to 3/21/13. Our second time at this resort and would definitely go back. Of all the AMResorts we have stayed at, Dreams PV has the most beautiful scenery and food at all of the restaurants is plentiful and very tasty. Dreams PV is an older resort but has been well maintained. A few years ago AMResorts started an Unlimited Club Vacation which, as far as I am concerned in a total nuisance and they take up a number of hours of you vacation time with their "Spiel". The AMResorts as a whole are great vacation spots, and I would highly recommend them.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a balcony. (Not all rooms have balconys) Higher floors are best for great ocean...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple