“5”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 12, 2013

5 stands for a few things on this trip! My wife and I celebrate 5 years together! 5 nights at an Amazing Resort! 5 Star Service!

When we arrived we were greeted like family and it remained that way for our entire stay. The Cleaning staff on the 20th floor were amazing, from tolerating my bad Spanish to a freshly cleaned room everyday. Pools and Restaurants did not disappoint. If you wanted to get pool drunk or Lay on the beach under a quiet Palapa you can do both. We lined up a a Fishing/Whale Watching/Manta Ray/Snorkeling trip from Tony right on the Private Resort Beach. The Boat picked us up at 8 am, spent the day out on the water (Beers Included and Bottled water from the room)) and were back by 2:30. Manuel (Captain) was great!! Beware of the waves when getting picked/droped off(Jump). Had a Palapa in the same area 3 or 4 days in which SALAZAR (Beach server) was a great host. Will return again.

Room Tip: Watch for the sting Rays playing in the morning surf.
9  Thank Notch18
Write a ReviewReviews (8,080)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a smaller resort with great service to spend a week of total relaxation and that we got. Almost everything was wonderful and I don't need to list them because many of the reviews do so but what impressed us the most was the great service and the location. I was a bit hesitant about going to PV instead of the Caribbean side but truly, I was not disappointed. The breathtaking scenery and the beautiful private beach was a pleasant surprise.

The only negative for me is that I was a bit surprised at how old and dated the resort is although they do a very good job of trying to keep it fresh. A few times, I detected 'odd' odors walking through the main areas and then the next day I would smell incense in those same areas (perhaps in order to mask the odd odors?). The rooms in the preferred side are large and very nice but honestly, the bathrooms need major updating. For me, this was disappointing given what they charge to stay here.

The food was good but I would not say outstanding. The Seaside Grill was the best in my opinion but unfortunately because of that, it is busy and you will wait for a table especially at peak times. One interesting note is that they do take reservations but most people don't know this. We only discovered this toward the end of our week.

They do not enforce saving lounge chairs even though it is clearly written and it upset me to see chairs saved from early morning on to see the people finally show up at lunch time. I witnessed this many times. I wish more people would not tolerate this and just take the chairs for themselves as I did a few times.

I would definitely return to Dreams but only if they did a major renovation. It is a wonderful resort for many reasons but it is showing its age and looks tired.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ghisl
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Happiness! Stayed at Dreams Puerto Vallarta for the first time from February 4th to February 8th, 2013. My husband and I had a four-day romantic getaway here without our children and were pleased, so much so that I would like to bring the kids here one day. We had great weather. When I was looking for a resort online, I was overwhelmed with the hotel choices and I booked Dreams based on the reviews and the private beach. It was great. No regrets. We arrived on Superbowl Sunday and watched the game. The resort had a huge Superbowl party: big TVs on the beach, balloons, drinks, snacks, fun, fun, fun. Here's what you will want to know: Every single room faces the ocean and has a great view. Sunsets are gorgeous. We stayed on the 19th floor of the main tower. Fairly spacious room, clean, no issues, enough good TV channels at bedtime. The food is EXCELLENT all across the resort. One day we were on the beach, the rest of the time by the pool. Both are great, no real issues getting a lounger at either place. Great bartenders, lots of flowing drinks. I have three cautions for you: 1) that evenings can be quiet. They do have an hour-long show or similar every night but that's it; 2) the surf is quite rough and 3) you pay for all internet services. The PCs in the cafe are $2 for 15 minutes, and they are very third world in nature. WiFi in the rooms is expensive, but I only needed email to check in with the grandparents, so we were unconcerned. Overall, we were very impressed with this resort and will come back. Interestingly, almost every couple we met had been 3, 10, 15 times before. Seriously! People love this place. The employees are all helpful and service-oriented. There are many small details (love is in the details!) like each morning, the sun has barely cracked the horizon when they're out cleaning the beach and putting individual hibiscus flowers in small places all over the resort. Also, as a woman, I felt safe here. This is a gated resorted flanked by mountains on each side, the ocean on the third, and the security gate at the entrance. Very private. This resort has an active Kids Club that I would actually put my kids in next time (age 6 and 9), staffed by women in camp scout garb that actually take them on a lot of activities. Beach walk, trampoline, movies, hiking, dancing, arts and crafts. The kids we saw loved it. They are also open in the evenings so parents can dine peacefully while the kids play. The only other thing I should mention is that the town is just a $5 U.S. cab ride away. Lastly, when we were going to the airport we drove past many other resorts and we thought we did well. Beause of Dreams' private beach (1/2 kilometre long) and the two 11-story buildings, Dreams has an intimacy and ease that other huge resorts don't. It was a bonus not to have to make dinner reservations, wear wristbands, fight lines or feel like you're in a crowd. Would definitely like my little girls to enjoy this special place and hope to return. Next time I'll try the jungle trek, kayaks, and a day trip or two. Lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Every room faces the ocean.
8  Thank wendaroolie
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Dreams Resort and Spa had some really wonderful things about it and some not so wonderful. We had anticipated our wedding to take place at Dreams for more than a year and were really impressed on the reviews listed on Trip Advisor but then when we arrived, we experienced some disappointments in our experience and so here is our account.

Positives:
- We loved the fact that we didn’t have to wear wristbands at the resort, this was fantastic.
- We loved the no-reservation policy for the restaurants. This allowed for way more flexibility in our days and no headaches trying to plan ahead.
- The food was absolutely amazing, very impressed for an all-inclusive especially Oceana for dinners and Sea Side Café for lunches although one restaurant (the Italian restaurant called Portofino) was terrible and we didn’t go back there. Also, the speciality nights like Mexican Fiesta were amazing, so much fun as well.
- Our wedding Coordinator, Eleane, was fantastic. She got everything perfectly and she was so enthusiastic. I cannot express enough how amazing she was and our wedding day went off perfectly. And she seemed so genuinely happy to be helping us and that sincerity was very much appreciated.
- Our wedding was so much fun. The location, the people, the décor and the service was all 100% perfect. Honestly, we had such an amazing day and I wish I could relive it ☺Our wedding photographer was also amazing, I wish I had known this ahead of time and I would have just known to get the full wedding photographer package (Christelle)
- The grounds were gorgeous, such a clean resort (including the beach) and we loved the chairs that were pool side, so comfortable for a day by the pool.
- We had a lot of problems with our check in, and we were given a free upgrade to the Preferred Club and those rooms were amazing. The quick response to our concerns from the Manager of the Front Desk and Manager of Group Bookings was remarkable and made our trip better. They allowed us to express our concerns within a couple of hours and this fast response did help us a lot. Alex in particular was fantastic.
- Our room was beautiful and our maid, Victoria, always did a fantastic job, the turn down service was also exceptional.

Negatives:
Our check in and arrival was the worst part of our experience:
- We had a horrible experience checking into the resort. The individual checking us in didn’t seem at all happy to help us check in, didn’t make eye contact. I had also indicated to him that we had a big group (37 people in total) and he didn’t even seem to care. I felt like ‘oh no, another bride’ and it made me feel bad for being excited to be getting married in a destination wedding setting. I knew Dreams had weddings almost daily but I didn’t expect to feel like this was something that was annoying.
- Three couples in our group had to have their rooms switched because the reservation details were not adhered to and they were assigned the ‘wrong’ type of room. Eventually it was figured out (and it was resolved promptly).
- We arrived at noon and were told check in is at 3 pm and our room wasn’t ready. I was told that our room would be ready at 2 pm. That was fine for us but when we returned from lunch at 2 pm, the room wasn’t ready and then we had to wait until 3 pm. And when you are carting a wedding dress around, this was an annoying change.
- Everyone in our group had a room before we did. I think I was more surprised than anything that every person received a room before us even though we had the same style of room assignment as most people. Like I said, with carting a wedding dress around, I just thought they would get us in as soon as possible, our whole group was pool side and we were sitting in the lobby with all our wedding stuff, unable to join them.
- I had asked the wedding coordinator if we could put a book at the front desk so our guests could communicate with each other and leave each other messages and we had been told yes. When we arrived at the front desk and asked to leave our book, I was transferred to talk to three different people because they all didn’t want to agree to taking the book, and then I was finally directed to the concierge on duty. The concierge was incredibly rude and sat at the desk with his arms crossed, telling me the wedding coordinator (who works at DREAMS), should not have agreed to keep our book at the front desk. Then he begrudgingly gave us a place to put the book but talked to me like a child and said very slowly that ‘Dreams will NOT be responsible for ensuring only your group reads the book’, I said that was fine (we assumed that) but the way he treated me was with complete arrogance and I did not think it was my fault that there was a break down in communication between the wedding coordinator and the concierge but I felt like he was blaming me.

Other:
- The bartenders and servers were not hospitable, they did not seem happy to be serving. They were incredibly efficient and effective but that hospitable ‘spirit’ wasn’t there, no joking around, no smiles, nothing like that. I have been to three star resorts with way more hospitable staff. The one exception was the bartender in the Sports Bar. He was super fun and joked around with us, and was actually hospitable and efficient, and effective.
- There are two pools that are not heated and really cold and couldn’t really be used. This was too bad, it would have been nice to have more than the one pool to actually swim in.
- The mixed drinks often had way too much alcohol and I ended up not drinking it. But this might just be my personal preference.

Hope this review helps people when booking. It is a really beautiful resort and our wedding was amazing but we did have some problems.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor because then you have a clear view of the ocean instead of being stuck be...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank DellaFri
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is my second visit and I loved it as much as I remembered. In short I have to say that the staff at Dreams are the best thing they have going for them. Friendly always, eager to please - these people set this resort apart from others i have stayed at.

Beach is fantastic, food is diverse and delicious. Im looking forward to a third visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank leigh b
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had great weather indeed, but if the weather had been bad.. I probably would have been unhappy that the pools were old and dirty, or that the food was really pretty bad and far below real restaurant standards, or that they didnt have premium tequila's.. even though its produced in the very state the resort sits on, or the fact the entertaiment was completely lame or the disruption that occured when large groups that took over the lobby bar with their sliding of chairs or shouting over one and other like teenagers drunk for first time or the groups of wedding parties that descended upon the restaurants acting as if every dinner was their private rehearsal dinner . I think you get the picture !

The things that were great or above average - the room, the view, the maid service, the beach, the drink service, the sunsets, the water, the morning walks on the beach, the evening stargazing, the fact there was no bugs, the activities like the jungle trek, the kayak tour or rock climbing wall, or the low cost of a cab into town, the pounding surf at night while we slept, the mature trees and plants that softed the buildings and walkways...I'm sure I could go on and on .

demographic 75% Canadians, 75% 50 plus ..lots of large groups and destination weddings .

In conclusion, I dont think I would stay at this place again only because lifes too short to go to any one place too many times, but if I did go back to PV I would think about staying at a hotel on the beach in town, near better food and drink.

4  Thank redfish1959
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our stay was from January 26. 2013 - February 2, 2013. We chose to stay at this resort because of the private beach and the good reviews. The rooms were well cleaned everyday, the food was fantastic, and the service was amazing. My son who is 1 1/2 enjoyed everything about the resort. My parents came with us and the only downside they said was that the buffet closed on some days, therefore you had to eat at one of the restaurant. I don't see this as a bad thing, as all the restaurants had really good food. My parents are buffet fiends when it comes to all-inclusive resorts.

Things we liked about the resort:

- All the restaurants were first come, first serve as to make it fair with other guests at the resort and you can go back to the restaurants more than once (some resorts you have to make a reservation and you can only go once during your stay)

- Food was fresh and delicious (They even had sushi on one of they days)

- Not a party resort - family friendly

- Very very relaxing

- Close to town

- Private beach

- Smaller older resort with a rustic feel

- Amazing and friendly staff - especially the guys are the activity centre.

- All rooms have an ocean view

I'd definitely recommend this resort if you want a relaxing and good time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family