“Two weeks of worry free bliss...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Two weeks of worry free bliss...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our second visit to Dreams PV. We chose to stay two weeks this time as we felt cheated last time after having left after just one week.

The staff again surpassed all expectations. We were checked into our room within 8 minutes of getting off the bus. We were greeted with champagne and a cold cloth. We had booked this trip to celebrate our 10'th anniversary. When we got to our room we were surprised, they had a big happy anniversary banner hanging on our door.

We were in a balcony room in the old tower. It was fantastic and I would book the same again in a heartbeat. The rooms are finished in very nice tile, the bed, bedding, and towels were all very high quality, there was a safe in the room, and a flat screen TV. Also there was a fridge loaded with water, beer, juice and softdrinks that was magically refiled each afternoon.

The maid service is excellent. One big plus is the turn down service they do while you are out for supper. Come back after an excellent meal and your towels have been changed, the garbage is taken out, and the bed is turned down, with one lamp left on so you can see. We also once forgot to lock our safe when out of the room, again to our surprise they locked it, and left a note to take to security to open it for us.

The food here is OUTSTANDING! El Patio was our favourite, and their cucumber margarita was my favourite drink. All the restaurants were excellent, and one waiter (Juan) who we saw for breakfast most mornings was particularly good at taking care of us. For those that have worries about gringo stomachs and Mexican food, you can relax. Two weeks here, we travelled all over, ate 75% of our meals at the resort, and had zero food/stomach issues. The food here is the best we've encountered at any resort, and much, much better than any standard North American family restaurant. Everything was extremely fresh and delicious. The bars were great, and it is nice having many different types of Tequilas to try with your margaritas.

The beach was great but there were some days with extreme surf that we didn't experience on our last visit. Perhaps the full moon? Regardless we swam safely for 12 out of 14 days, and were impressed with the lifeguards who were on the beach. Also the washrooms near the beach were the cleanest/nicest we've seen at any resort area. (Hawaii, Mexico, Dominican, Cuba, or Eastern Caribbean.)

Negatives, there were a few minor ones worth mentioning. The WIFI issue has been mentioned many times before but I will bring it up again. It is $70/week. I bought a 3G sim card for my iPad at the local TELCEL shop in town with 1 gig of data for under $28. $140 versus $28 for two weeks of internet is a huge discrepancy.

The entertainment. The Fire-show was spectacular. The other shows not as much. The biggest thing we found missing was good live music. There was no mariachi being played live on Mexican nights, only per-recorded music with live dancing.

The only other minor complaint was the jungle walk. We wore Teva's even though shoes were recommended. You get wet on this walk. The hike and guides were fantastic, but I wished they had recommended to people to hike in swimming gear or made them aware you may be up to your knees in water. The jungle walk is highly recommended, I just would wear hiking sandals that can get wet, and board shorts, or clothes that you don't mind getting potentially soaked. There is a waterfall at the end of the hike which you can only see by swimming a short distance.

In our two weeks, cheap onsite WIFI, and no mariachi/live music were our only negatives. The staff, food, rooms, and nature were all perfect. We will come back again. My only worry is that they are so good at what they do that they may be able to justifiably raise the prices beyond what we can afford. I hope this resort stays affordable, as it is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms in the old tower are excellent.
5 Thank LongKeel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first trip to this resort but have stayed at multiple other all inclusive resorts including other Dreams properties. Upon arrival I will have to admit that the property has a less than impressive first impression as you pull up but we knew once inside and the typical Dreams service kicks in all is good....Thanks Felix.
We stayed in the Dreams tower which is older but has been nicely renovated with upgraded beds and washrooms and in my opinion a better view than the preferred tower but in reality there probably isn't a bad view anywhere above the palm trees. Our end unit on the 9th floor (with balcony) was an amazing place to grab a beer from the fridge and watch the sunset.
As far as food is concerned, my personal favorite was the Portofino but each was excellent depending on your personal taste and desired atmosphere but you really can't go wrong. The buffet was always good for any of the daily meals. (Barefoot grill on the beach makes a darn good burger)
The beach is a highlight partly because you don't have a thousand people walking by from other resorts but there are some who do miss those long walks. One day getting into the water is a bit rocky but the next you wouldn't even know they were there (stay more to the middle of the beach and you will be happy). The waves on the other hand can vary dramatically. There were a few injuries over the two weeks directly related to power of the ocean so have fun but be careful. The beach volleyball was great and played everyday. (Note to those planning a Gazebo wedding it might be a good idea to stay away from the 4 to 5ish pm time slot or there may be some background cheering in you wedding video's as its fairly close to the court)
Loved that it didn't really matter where you were on the resort that you can hear the sound of the ocean and that's hard to beat. If you are a pool person you might be a little disappointed as they are small and can get crowded if the vacancy is low.
As much as we loved our stay there and would not be surprised if we return, there are a couple of minor pet peeves that I think would make it even better. The Coco Cafe (coffee/internet) should really be open past 7 pm. As with other Dreams properties the evening entertainment is often limited so it would be nice to check in with home after dinner. The other is the combined sports bar/disco. With a few Canadian men in the bar watching a hockey game and no one else in sight, it does not make much sense to me to blast techno music.

Room Tip: Above the 6th floor will get you the best view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank swoody
Shellbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Just have to say that i've travelled a fair amount over my lifetime and after a week at this resort to witness the marriage of my daughter and new son in law i will only stay at Dreams properties while vacationing in the future "Definition of Perfection"!!!!!!

Room Tip: There are NO bad rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Debbie B
Richland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the Dreams with 18 of my closest friends and family for my wedding. It was absolutely amazing and incredible. I couldn’t be happier with the resort, the staff, food, our room, the wedding, and the restaurants. Everything was better than we could have imagined. You are greeted with a glass of champagne and a cold towel when you check in. The check in was fast and easy. When you get to your room there are cold beverages of your choice waiting in the refrigerator.
I was beyond pleased with all of the restaurants, and the room services. Everything was so fresh and cooked exactly how you wanted it. We ate at the buffet each morning for breakfast and I loved the omelets cooked to order. For lunch we ate at the grill on the beach, by far the best hamburger I have had in a long time. Room service; my favorite was the Mexican Club, defiantly recommend it! The Mexican restaurant was so much fun, and great good. I loved the way they decorated everything.
I loved the private beaches, and the huts they provide you to sit under. Some people have complained that the waves are too big, but our entire group actually enjoyed them. The resort offers kayaks and boogie boards to go out and play with. They also bring out a huge trampoline with a slide that you can go out and bounce around on in the ocean. I loved sleeping with the windows open at night, and being able to hear the wave’s crash.
Our wedding here couldn’t have gone any smoother, the dreams wedding coordinator takes care of everything before you even get there. Leaves no stress for the bride, or the family. We had a reception on the beach and they provided our own wait staff.
After our wedding we decided to take our honeymoon in Nuevo Vallarta at RIU Palace Pacifico. RIU is much fancier and larger then Dreams…but I must say I wish I wish I would have stayed at the Dreams for our entire trip. The food at RIU was not good, room services was horrible, our toilet never worked…it was a huge disappointment compared to the Dreams.
Like I said previously 18 people came with my family and we are all planning on coming back same time next year, because Dreams make it that incredible. If you are reading this trying to decide on staying at the Dreams…do it! You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Bring Bug spray at night time it is much needed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Larson58708
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My fiance and I just returned from a one week vacation at Dreams. It was fabulous and would recommend this resort to everyone and anyone, young and old. We met couples of all ages and had a great time. The service was amazing and the food was delicious, great spot.

Room Tip: Beds were a touch hard.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Jenny G
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa, 12-19 January 2013. I had stayed at Dreams for the first time in January of 2012. Both experiences were absolutely outstanding as far as the Resort facilities and staff are concerned. The Resort is clean and well maintained; the staff are competent and friendly; the food at all of the restaurants is of superior quality. I had a filet mignon at the Seaside Grill and roast beef at the World Cafe that were as good or better than any I have eaten at the likes of Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Spark's, Ditka's, etc. Compared to other resorts in Puerto Vallarta, such as the Samba Vallarta and the Riu Palace, Dreams is far more intimate and "private." The clientele appear to be "older," with less raucous behaviors than may be expected at some of the other resorts, where younger folks like to congregate.

All of this having been said, our very pleasant stay at Dreams ended on an extremely sour note. We had made arrangements the day before our departure with Apple Representative "Juan," which included non-stop, private ground transportation to the airport. Juan scheduled our departure for 12:50p.m. on Saturday, 19 January. We reported to the lobby area at 12:15 and notified the Dreams' staff that we were present and waiting. One of the staff confirmed that we were scheduled at 12:50. At 12:50, a different Apple Representative, Claudia Ruiz, appeared, and announced that first, we would be riding a bus to the airport; and second, that the bus would be at least 10-15 minutes late. We informed Ms. Ruiz of the arrangements that had been made. During my trip in January of 2012, for example, I rode to the airport in a cab, along with an Apple Representative, with no intermediate stops, and the transport was ON TIME. At approximately 1:05p.m., no "bus" had arrived. We searched and finally found Ms. Ruiz and informed her of our concern about missing our flight as a consequence of this delay. She behaved rather flippantly and weakly apologized, indicating that there might be yet another 10-15 minute wait. When I suggested that she should call a cab for us, she said she would do so, but WE would be responsible for the charges. At this point, both my wife and I began to speak in louder tones, with several other guests looking on. It must have been abundantly clear that we were very dissatisfied and angry. Suddenly, a Dreams Assistant Manager named "Jose" appeared and indicated that he would contact Apple and see if he could help. About 5 minutes later, Jose returned and indicated that a cab would pick us up shortly and we would not be charged.

Without Jose's help, we would surely have missed our connection in Dallas/Fort Worth, due to traffic and heavy passenger activity in security and customs. When we finally reached the gate in DFW, the attendant indicated that he was preparing to release the plane. By this time, having literally ran from customs to security to gate, my wife and I were exhausted, exasperated, and predictably angry about the delay AND the shoddy treatment that we received from the Apple Representative, Ms. Ruiz.

Our travel agent is Ms. Wendi Carrillo, of Dugan's Travel Agency in Albuquerque, NM. Wendi is a true professional, who has always been extremely helpful and efficient. Wendi recently informed me that Apple Vacations OWNS Dreams Resort, and a number of other well known facilities. This would seem to suggest that the Apple Representative should have had the good sense to do what "Jose," the Assistant Manager, finally did, in arranging for a cab to take us to the airport. The delay that we endured, which turned out to be nearly 45 minues, almost cost us a missed flight.

Apple Vacations is obviously a near monopoly in the Resort Business, so it's difficult to propose that people do business with other concerns. At the same time, I hope that SOMEONE reading this review will take the time to look into this matter further. I have told Ms. Carrillo that I believe Apple owes us some type of recompense for our anxious pain and suffering, due to poor planning and even poorer decision-making. I can be contacted at the following e-mail address:
kenrickthompson1946@gmail.com.

Let me say in conclusion that my criticism is leveled at APPLE VACATIONS........NOT THE DREAMS RESORT.

Room Tip: Request a "high floor" - the Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony is a must-have........
2 Thank kenrick t
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Despite having traveled a fair deal this was my first trip to Mexico and it didn't disappoint! I took my 1 year old down with my parents and my brother and his family. My daughter and I had a wonderful time. The food was good, the rooms clean and the service very family friendly. They do love their babies down there! I never felt she was a burden or "in the way". My room was always nice and clean. And the mini bar was stocked. They always added extra water for me :) I really appreciated the turn down service with a nice cold bottle of water by the bed. I had a room on the bottom floor so I could still enjoy the sun while my little one napped. I also appreciated the beverage service on the beach so I didn't have to carry my toddler to the bar to get a drink. I can't wait wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you have a baby, get a ground floor room so you can sit outside while they sleep.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family