“One more time in dreams...”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was our second time in Dreams and both times we stayed there for my both daughters' weddings (although the weddings were outside of the resort). We brought with us 70 people and everyone was impressed with the resort, service, food, and the atmosphere. Even the water in the ocean was very quite that we spent all time swimming. There are two buildings in this hotel, the old one with the Junior Suits Ocean View rooms and the new remodeled one Club Tower. Both are very good with a big size ocean view rooms, but if you have some extra dollars to spend, I would really recommend you to stay in the New Club Tower building because it is absolutely beautiful!!! You will have unforgettable experience! I would go back to the Dreams again and again!

Room Tip: the higher floor in the new building - the better view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ViktoriyaD

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family of 12 (grandparents, sisters, neices, nephews...) returned to Dream PV over Christmas and had a great time. We have been to AI for 11 years and this was the first time we went back to the same one. The location of this resort is perfect - amazing secluded beach and facilities.

Lots of returning guests
We noticed that a lot of guests come with their extended families and many are also returning. A lot of the staff are the same as our trip two years ago.

Staff
The staff are fantastic and will do their best to satisfy your every need, you just have to ask. One night the adults went to Portofino and had an incredible meal, with an awesome dessert. The next night, with the kids in the buffet, we wanted the dessert again. We asked our buffet server who got a manager, who talked with us and presto, three desserts were served to us in the buffet!

Towers
We didn't need to pay the extra for the expensive tower because the old one is updated (and has excellent beds!) Every room has wonderful views of the ocean, especially the higher floors.

We loved being able to visit the a la carte restaurants every day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner - no reservations, no limits. If the kids were not interested, they would visit the buffet and then go watch a movie on the beach. The food is wonderful - lots of choice, well prepared and by excellent staff.

Overall
This is simply an amazing resort for everyone.

Room Tip: Every room has the same view, but higher floors are better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank family_17
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fantastic resort, wonderful service. No shortage of activities. Private beach (no wristbands). Great drinks and meals. The folks here really look after you. We have been to PV 8 times and have stayed at Dreams the last 3 times (Dreams PV twice and Dreams Tulum) and going for our fourth Dreams trip to Cancun in April. By far the best resorts we have stayed at and now we are only ever going to look at the Dreams franchise or Secrets if you prefer no children. We never heard a single negative comment from any of the 46 people in our group nor have my wife and I ever had a negative issue with the two of us at their resorts.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, and have an ocean view. The preferred suites are only a little larger t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shawn B
Reviewed January 4, 2013

If my wife and I tried to plan the perfect wedding, it wouldn't even have come close to what the staff at Dreams provided. The staff goes above and beyond with every little detail. We had a sizable group of 17 people with us, and we were always able to sit together, and we all had a blast. The resort is located just south of downtown, far enough away to be safe and secure at all times, but close enough that is was about a $5 USD taxi ride. The food options were great! The buffets were better than expected, the sit down service restaurants were exceptional! Portifino was one of our favorites.

4  Thank Steven S
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I highly recommend for any brides. Eleane was extremely amazing to work with and answered all my emails in a timely manner. She did a fantastic job putting everything together and we had an amazing wedding. There were a few hitches along the way, as with any resort, Dreams is not perfect.

Check-In
------------
Extremely SLOW. We were one of the first in line and the last to leave. We were also presented with the bill for our wedding up front despite having made arrangements to have a meeting with the wedding coordinator the following day. Despite the miscommunication a credit card was put down and were told that the it was all good (more to this story later). The person checking us in was not very helpful or in a good mood and kind of stressed me out. Additional experiences at the front desk were much more pleasant and the staff genuinely seemed to care (which is why I say the guy was in a bad mood).

Room
--------
We stayed in the preferred tower and the room was great! It wasn't a whole lot bigger than the regular rooms, but seemed brighter and nicer. The tv remote didn't work but no big deal. The view was great, but to me the balcony railings seem kind of low - I am terrified of heights so wouldn't go near it. The maids did a great job and the fridge was always restocked daily. No complaints there. They are also fairly soundproof as I rarely heard any noise in the hallway and never from adjacent rooms. We could only hear the roaring ocean through our patio doors.

The only problem was that we had talked to the bell boy and shown him our bags, and then waited and waited and waited and they never came. Our family members were in rooms next door and they received theirs, so I called down, and they were just sitting by the front I guess. (We weren't off to a great start) The bell boy was nice and showed us the amenities despite having already explored them ourselves.

The wifi signal is awful, and we could barely get any in our room or outside. Dreams REALLY needs to upgrade or put in more routers or something! If you stay in the regular tower where wifi is not free, don't bother it barely works anyways!

Beach
--------
The beach is fantastic!! Since it is so private you get so few vendors walking through, which if you've stayed at another PV all-inclusive you know how annoying they can be. The waves are fun and rough, but they'll knock you flat on your face if you aren't careful. The beach was groomed daily and it only had jellyfish (actually Portuguese Man-o-wars) the one day out of two weeks (and it's a natural thing that is not Dreams' fault).

Pool
------
Didn't go in the main pool at all since it was generally overflowing with kids and just stayed near the adult pool by the preferred tower. The loungers there are great! The warm tub was nice though I would prefer a HOT tub, but that's just me. The pool itself was colder than the ocean, so we spent more time in the ocean.

Drinks
---------
No complaints here, they made just about anything and it was all good.

-------
All the portions at the restaurants may be smaller than you are are used to, so don't be afraid to order several apps! The best part is that you don't need to make reservations. It got a little busy sometimes, but you were never waiting for long. The only improvement would be during those busy times, if they had an extra staff member getting drinks for those waiting.

Buffet - Pretty standard, better than other all-inclusives I've been too, but nothing that wowed me.
Patio - Pretty good, I liked the duck tacos in the peanut sauce quite a bit and the chips and salsa were great. The first time we went the service was very quick and our waiter Alejandro(sp?) was super polite and generally awesome. The second time we went they were quite busy and our server (didn't catch his name) was a bit more rushed and unattentive.
Seaside - Quite good for both lunch and dinner! At dinner ask for extra mashed potatoes or you'll get the tiniest little glob of them.
Oceana - Only went for breakfast as I'm not a big seafood person. Avoid the eggs benedict, but the stuffed french toast is amazing!
Porfino's - In a very dark and cold room, you get mediocrity at best. We were all starving and between 4 of us, ordered and finished 21 plates. The carpaccio's weren't great, the bruschetta was pretty good, some pasta's were better than others, entree's pretty mediocre. I think our server was annoyed at our table for ordering so much, but we finished it all! Portions are medium to small sized.

Don't be afraid to get off the resort and eat around downtown Puerto Vallarta!

Nightlife
----------
There is none. The sports bar is not really a sports bar. It plays loud music, but no one dances. The lounge music plays incredibly loud music that probably causes hearing loss. Basically there is no place at night to just hang out with your friends and drink. One of them needs to turn off the loud music for a relaxed atmosphere, and the other can be the "club".

We didn't watch a lot of the shows, the circus was neat though a lot of fumbles!

The Wedding
------------------
We chose to have a beach ceremony and reception. We met with Eleane a few days before to go over the contract and any final details. They gave me a print out of the ceremony script. On the day of, me and the bridesmaids headed to the spa (more on the spa below) for our hair and makeup. They all did a great job and we will looking fabulous. Later we got ready in our room and the photographer joined us for some getting ready photos. Unfortunately, she asked for the rings to be in the room so she could photograph them with the flowers, but then we had no way to get them to the best man, and my maid of honour had to carry the rings instead, but in the ceremony, they still called him up. They need to fix that process a bit!

The flowers were perfect. They exactly matched the picture I sent, I could not have been happier about that!

The ceremony was lovely, but they really need a better speaker. They told me it was going to be in English, but the woman barely spoke any and I don't think she had ever read the script before. I'm not sure anyone really understood what was happening, and a lot of it we were confused about mid-ceremony. Ohwell, makes for a bit of a laugh!

The reception was great, the DJ only played old 70's and 80's music, so you might want to bring your own playlist if you are particular. We just kind of laughed about it. Dancing on the beach was so much fun, I wish they didn't kick us out at 10:30 because there is not much else to do afterwards! The food was alright.

The Spa
-----------
Very difficult to book appointments via email. Unlike the wedding coordinators, they rarely responded and when they did, did not really answer questions. I booked what I thought was a package for all the bridesmaids - mani/pedi/hair/makeup for $155 US. When we went, (we got our mani/pedi's earlier to save time) they charged me $100+ for the mani/pedis alone. When I inquired they told me that it was the "premium mani/pedi" service and not the package. I never asked for premium and in emails said only mani/pedi which they should assume to be the basic, not premium. Then the hair and makeup was another cost on top of that, basically paying double what the package price was supposed to be. The spa managers (not the ones actually performing the services) were not very nice to me and offered no resolution. Not very pleased. The girls who did our services were great and I would recommend if not for the management staff.

The spa itself is really tiny, and we could not all be in the same room when getting our procedures, we also could only have 3 at time as there was not enough staff to accomodate.

Overall
---------
Overall, I had a great vacation and a lot of fun. The wedding went fairly smoothly and I was very pleased by the experience. Dreams is a great hotel with a lot to offer. It is the nicest all-inclusive I've been to in Puerto Vallarta as we usually get the last minute details. I only wish you could walk out the gate to town, but there is a very twisty road with no sidewalks. You can take the bus, or a cab for 50pesos, but it would be nice to be able just to walk out.

I would definitely recommend Dreams for weddings, but probably not just a vacation for young people. It has a much more relaxed atmosphere than a party, so it depends what you are looking for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kkparrot
Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a fabulous location--quiet part of Puerto Vallarta--private, clean beach. The water was great--the undertow was quite strong so kids and inexperienced swimmers need to stay close to shore BUT listening to the wonderful waves at night was a delight. Slept with our balcony doors opened to enjoy the sounds of nature.
Ate mostly at the a la carte restaurants as my husband isn't into buffets. The times we did have breakfast, lunch at the buffet--food was fresh and good variety. Loved the no reservations at the a la carte restaurants--the amount of food served was not overwhelming and one could always order more if they wished--had the best fresh seafood at all the restaurants.(the beef is tender and melt in your mouth good)Food presentation was top notch. We talked to many peole that said they had gone to many all-inclusive and found Dreams to be one of the best. We where surprised/pleased that you could order specific brands of liquors--if you didn't ask you didn't receive. Orlando & Salvador where great bartenders--remembered your order after the first request! Although we didn't want to go to a "family oriented" resort; we found the number of kids not intrusive.The kids where well behaved and the opportunity to go to the "explorer's club (kids only) was a real plus for families.
Our room was well appointed, clean and the bed was very comfortable. Although it was in the older tower--doesn't mean it's not well maintained . We won't hestitate to stay in it again. We met couples that have been coming for years and always stay in the older tower. The evening entertainment was good --a lot better than cruise entertainment.--more variety and better quality. Always felt safe--even when you left the resort in a taxi they requested your room number and your destination. Also loved NO wrist bands!
We would return to Dreams PV or at least another Dreams.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony--all rooms face the ocean, we found it nice to have a drink on the balcony late in...
4  Thank margaritaville13
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm pretty picky when it comes to hotels, and I really love it here. The rate was amazingly reasonable, the room was great. A nice bed and bathroom are a high priority for me, and both were awesome. The staff literally, could not be nicer, and the food is a solid B+. There are not a ton of activities, but I like quiet, so it was perfect for us.

Room Tip: The new tower would have cost us twice as more, and we loved the old tower. Didn't see the need...
8  Thank phillylaura_10