We spent a week in this property during Christmas holiday, and just returned a few days ago. Immediately upon check-in, we were told the preferred club suite that we booked was not available, and we had to stay in the old tower for one night. That's just not acceptable to begin with. It would have never happened should we stay at bigger hotel chain such as Marriott or SPG. I was kind of shocked given all the advertisement and emphasis on "unlimited luxury"...
Grade F on the check-in experience.
Let's talk about the food - huge disappointment. First night we ate at Oceana. The food was lukewarm and seafood tasted like previously frozen. After some discussion with employees working there, the seaside grill seems to be the best choice for food. So we went there the second day for late lunch. We were very pleased with the seafood ceviche (there are four kinds, all good). Chips were freashed made and sausa was good enough (although not at the same level as those from Marriott Cancun). Overall, definitely better than Oceana. We came back for dinner the same day. The food was mainly a disappointment. The fried calamari was as if reheated in the macrowave, not crispy at all. We complained about it and they remade it for us fresh. Hello? do we really have to do that to get a basic calamari good??? The steak and seafood market after were pretty good.
The biggest disappointment was perhaps the Italian restaurant where the food was overly salty and cold. I am surprised they don't keep the plates warm before putting the food on, or maybe just been sitting there for a while before putting on our table. We complained and the next time we ate there we got some special attention. Again, we shouldn't have to complain in order to get what we should have been provided at the first place.
Breakfast buffet was decent, nothing to write home about. Pretty standard for an all-inclusive. Juice isn't really freshly made - I highly suspect that. But not bad comparing to the dinner.
A few common thing with the dinner at this property:
- Salty (I have a strong taste on food and typically like salty food, if I say salty, that means it would be salty for 99% of the people).
- Cold or lukewarm
- Stale (not freshly made but reheated)
- Same presentation no matter what you order - a sign of mass production (you order fish or steak, then your other items on the plate has the exact same look and ingredients)
The biggest joke was the Christmas eve dinner buffet. In order to secure a table, guests would have to purchase a bottle of wine. We were told it will be very special. We didn't book it because the Italian restaurant promised us to do something special for us as well after our complaint. But we did stop by and looked the Christmas buffet first. We were shocked that the food look like left-over from breakfast or lunch. There were literally nothing special about it, with the only addition of turkey and roast beef. All else looked terrible.
Facility - most of the main building's facility looked dated. However preferred club tower is much nicer, and we liked our suite.
Pool - too small, and the adult pool is mostly in the shade of the new tower (perhaps a few hours with direct sunlight).
Staff - okay but luck of some basic training or sensibility. One night, our safe wasn't working at all. The Front Desk staff told us to move to a different room for one night. Anyone who has any sensibility at all would not have recommended that. Packing and unpacking twice in a week? Seriously? We were late with our dinner as they were struggling to fix the safe for more than one hour. As someone who has spent almost 1000 nights in Marriott hotel family, I am shocked with the lack of some of the basic capabibility of their staff.
Beach - beautiful. The private beach is really the plus here.
Activity - We were able to get water activity gears pretty easily, we didn't participate any other organized activities.
Drinks - disappointed. Nothing comparable with Marriott Cancun. I don't know what the drinks do not taste fresh.
Overall, we were disappointed with our stay, with a few problems with the hotel (check-in and safe issue), and not pleased with the quality of the food and drinks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In this natural, open-air paradise, you'll see shades of blue you never imagined, stretching from the brilliant mosaics of the infinity pools to the spectacular views of the azure ocean. Authentic Mexican cuisine, swim-up suites and a beautiful, intimate setting that seems to grow more perfect every moment, we have it all. All bestowed with our genuine Service from the HeartTM . That's the difference at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta. That's the Evolution of All-Inclusive. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Resort Puerto Vallarta
- Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort Spa
- Dreams Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Dreams Puerto Vallarta Hotel
- Dreams Puerta Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta Dreams Hotel