“Excellent Anniversary Vacation”

Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Dreams PV for our one year anniversary the week of September 23rd. We were instantly greeted from the taxi with a hot towel and some sort of fruity beverage. We checked in and had no issues with the check in process. Since it was our anniversary, we did have a happy anniversary banner and a basket and champagne waiting when we arrived. We stayed in the old tower which was just ok. The rooms are slightly outdated compared to the new tower, but we didn’t spend that much time in the room anyway. During our stay they were doing renovations in the old tower and it was fairly noisy during the day hours. During the late afternoons, we would head up to the room to take a nap (this was mainly because the rainy weather). One day our nap was interrupted with the sound of loud drilling and hammering, so my husband called the front desk and complained. They apologized and said they would ask them to stop. Within 5 minutes someone from the hotel staff was at our door letting us know they had asked the construction to stop and wanted to see if we needed anything else.

The service at the hotel was excellent. Anytime we needed anything we had it! Room service was always prompt and very friendly. The beach drink service was a little slow, so most of the time we walked to the bar ourselves. The drink service at the infinity pool and swim up bar was average. Because we were traveling in low season some restaurants were closed on certain days which caused the open restaurants to be more filled. It really didn’t bother us at all since we ate dinner in the 9 o’clock hour and most people were already done by that point. Our favorite restaurant was the Oceana. You have a beautiful view of the beach and it’s a really romantic setting. The entire staff at Dreams PV definitely goes the extra mile to make you feel at home. Weather it was the maid, wait staff, front desk staff or the bartenders everyone was super friendly and accommodating.

The resort had many activities planned every day, but we didn’t participate in any because we just wanted to relax. However, we did participate in the turtle release and it was a fun and unforgettable experience. We took a city tour one day and it was nice to get away and experience the local culture. We went to the tequila factory and had a blast! I would definitely recommend the city tour since it’s only half a day and it’s one of the less expensive tours they offer.

The resort offers a free photo shoot on the beach, so since it was our anniversary we decided to book a session. The photographer (can’t remember her name) was so sweet and friendly and her work was brilliant. The photos are a bit pricy, but since she was so great we ended up ordering quite a few. We also spend a day at the spa. It was amazing and very relaxing.

Overall we had an amazing anniversary trip and would recommend Dreams PV to our friends. Below are some helpful tips.

1.Order room service for breakfast. It’s much better than the food at the World Café.
2.If you are not in the mood to party and be around a lot of people there is sort of a hidden pool that is close to the old tower that has less people.
3.The mojitos are the best drink on the resort.
4.If you want to avoid the party crowd and have more alone time on the beach go to the north end (close to the old tower). Not as many people lay out down there.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a ocean view, so you can't really get a bad room!
3  Thank cmt0124
Write a ReviewReviews (7,961)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Back home from a wonderful week long stay at Dreams Puerto Vallarta. I can't recommend this resort enough!! Everything about our week vacation was amazing. From check-in, to our amazing room in the preferred tower, to Beatriz finding us on our second day and asking how our vacation was going, was more than expected! The ground are beautiful, the food was wonderful, and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. Book a trip here, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are ocean view. If you can afford it, I'd book in the preferred tower.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank auroraborealis87
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I took a 5-day getaway trip from September 12th to September 17th to Dreams upon the recommendation of my daughter who visited there the year before. We certainly were not disappointed. Dreams is a beautiful resort, very lush and tropical grounds, flowers everywhere and a beach to die for! The food was excellent and after being at two other Dreams Resorts I have to say, the food here was the best. We did not stay in the Preferred Tower, but were very comfortable in the older tower, all the rooms have a beautiful front oceanside view so you have the complete view of the Bay of Banderas. The sunsets were breathtaking. The room was very clean and spacious, although the bathroom could use a little renovating. We had a wonderful time there, everyone we encountered was polite and couldn't be more helpful and attentive. The breakfasts at the World Cafe were delicious with so many things to pick from, Portofino was beautifully decorated and romantic with delicious Italian food and excellent service. We enjoyed both the Oceana with its beautiful views right on the beach, and also the Seaside Grill which is closer to the newer tower,never had time to make it to El Patio, but it looked really nice when we walked past it. Wish they would have more things going on in the evening, would be great to have some tropical music to dance to under those swaying palm trees in the evening, All in all, we loved this place and hope to return soon and stay for a longer period of time.

Room Tip: Next time I would get a room upgrade in the newer tower where the rooms are more modern and I would...
2  Thank Iguana66
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at Dream Resort for our honeymoon August 26th-September 2nd, 2012. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE. It was a much needed time of rest for me & my hubby (after months of insane wedding planning)! You feel extra safe as you arrive through the front gates. Upon arrival, we were given champagne and a hot towel..loved that.
The lady at check in desk was so helpful (I'm so sorry, I forgot her name). We chose to use our honeymoon credits to upgrade to the Preferred Club Tower..and we were VERY HAPPY.

The room was awesome, the first night we were on the 1st floor, then we got moved to the 5th floor. If you can, stay in the Preferred Club Tower. Beautiful four poster bed, l-shaped couch, & deck! Also the lobby has an unlimited stock of drinks & little snacks as well.

The location was fabulous. We loved the beach, we spent every day there! The private beach was defs a win. We went in the pools but mainly preferred the beach. Big thanks to VICTOR for serving drinks on the beach! He was awesome...also IVAN at the bar by the relaxed pool was great!

The waves were massive when we were there.
It was supposed to be the rainy season, but it was absolutely sunny every single day. There were crazy rain & thunder & lightening storms almost every night (we would watch these from our deck every night, they were INCREDIBLE!)

We didn't catch any of the entertainment...we were on our honeymoon and just wanted to spend time with each other..ha! We did play tennis & watch movies (you can rent them for free), which was fun.

BETTY (Beatriz) at the main concierge was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! She was hands-down one of the nicest people I have ever met! I celebrated my birthday while we were there and she went out of her way to help my husband prepare birthday surprises for me. She remembered our names & was always so helpful!

As for restaurants...we went to Oceana (great view, yummy seafood), Portifino (very yummy, italian food!) & El Patio (yummy Mexican food!). Luis at El Patio gave exceptional service! He was very friendly and went out of his way to make our dinners so fun! Every morning & afternoon we'd go to Coco's Cafe for lattes..they were great. World Cafe was great for our breakfasts & lunches. Good variety buffet.

The only complaint I have is the maid service of the room...they did an excellent job of cleaning up but the timing was always different and one day our room got missed...also turn down service wasn't every evening.

Overall it was an INCREDIBLE vacation! We absolutely loved every minute of it and would totally go back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the preferred tower!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Laura L
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I traveled to Dreams Puerto Vallarta with a group of 12 people the week of September 24th thru the 30th.I picked this resort because I had stayed here 4 years ago and loved it. This time I was far from in love.
FOOD: in 2008 the food was INCREDIBLE. The food quality has definelty gone downhill. The presenattion is still beautiful, but the taste is no where near it used to be. Also, it was the slow season but only 2 of the 4 restaurants were open the whole time during my stay. For three days in a row the same two restaurants were open. Kind of a bummer since we got bored of the same food.
SERVICE: Incredible in 2008 and still pretty good now. Severs at the bars and restaurants are friendly and fast. The service is top notch still.
ROOMS: I'm hardly ever in the room and so I found the room to be just fine. I stayed in the 'old tower'. They are currently doing renovations which are needed to modernize it, but the room was comfortable and spacious.
It rained a lot while we were there and the ceilings in the hallways leak. There were towels everywhere to catch water. This needs to be fixed and should be a priority.
FRONT DESK: The staff at the front desk are SLOW. We were the only ones checking in (we had 4 rooms). There were two people at the fornt desk and it took close to 35 minutes to check us into 4 rooms. That was ridiculous. They also were only at 40% capacity and couldn't get us all near each other. We asked to be on the same floor, they said no. I don't understand what was so hard when they had over 60% of the rooms unoccupied!
BEACH: Fun and relaxing, They have a ton of chairs and palapas. Very easy anytime of the day to find a place to relax.
POOL: The 'fun' pool with the swim up bar is nice. However, the resort needs to do a better job of allowing kids to sit at the barstools and jump off the bar into the water. Part of that is also parenting skills. We were with two children ages 8 and 12 and their parents would not allow them to sit at the bar. There is an adult pool with no swim up bar. Part of the fun of vacation and pools is the swim up bar.
Overall I will NOT return. It was such a disappoinment compared to 4 years ago. I have visited 5 Dreams Hotels and will continue to stay at all other Dreams property's except for this one.

Room Tip: My friends toured the rooms in the preferred tower ($200 to upgrade for a week). The rooms were mode...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank kmonegan
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We visited Dreams Puerto Vallarta for the second time in September and had a great stay!

Despite being the rainy season, it only rained a couple times at night. You could see big thunder/lightening storms over the water at night, but otherwise was warm and beautiful sun the rest of the trip.

The best thing about this resort is the service, the secluded beach and the food! We really enjoyed the food last time and again it was great. There's also lots to do at the resort including kayaks, swimming out to a trampoline/mountain in the water, boogie boarding, tennis, etc. They also have tons of activities throughout the day.

We came with friends but are considering coming back with our toddler next time! The kids we saw looked like they were having a blast, although the hotel was mostly adult couples during our stay.

As for excursions, we went into downtown Puerto Vallarta to walk the boardwalk and see the sights. Visiting the Church is definitely worth it - beautiful! We also took a snorkeling adventure through Pegaso - HIGHLY recommended! It's a smaller tour company so as we headed out on the sail boat, there were only 10-12 people aboard. We sailed to the Marietas Islands for snorkeling and to see the wildlife and had a great time. Beautiful area and would highly recommend this company for any tours.

The only slightly disappointing thing about the trip this time, was that given it is the offseason, Oceana wasn't open for breakfast and Seaside Grill wasn't open for lunch. Not a big deal, but this is something we enjoyed last time. Also, they were remodeling rooms in the old tower and we could hear loud construction noises from 8 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. at night - not the most pleasant. We were on the 9th floor and it still woke us up one morning even though it was from the lower floors. We also could hear it during dinners at Oceana. Not a huge deal, we understand that hotels need to renovate and add service, but still was a slight annoyance.

Overall we had a great trip and this beautiful resort and hope to return again soon!

2  Thank LovelyInSeattle
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My Husband and I just got back from a week Honeymoon to the Dreams Resort in PV. We had such an excellent time and upon arrival of the second day found a Honeymoon banner on the outside of our hotel door. This was a special touch to help celebrate our occasion. The staff at Dreams PV do such an excellent job at pampering and pleasing their customers. The staff are up early in the morning to clean the beach from any debris from vacationers or that has washed up on the beach.

During our stay we resided in the Old Tower. We loved our room and had no problems during our stay. The New Tower is simply that 'New'. It has a more modern look and feel as it was more recently renovated and for the money we saved, I was fine staying in the Old Tower. Every room has a balcony view to the beautiful spread of beach the property has. I spent many a day on the balcony watching the waves as I read my book in the early mornings.

The resort has several bars sprinkled around the place including a swim up bar which was a convenient touch. The drinks are delicious of course and the bartenders are more than happy to serve without a tip, though I'm sure any tips would be much appreciated.

There are 5 potential restaurants for you to dine at every night; Portofino, El Patio, Cafe Oceana, World Cafe and one other I'm forgetting. Portofino is Italian and is the only restaurant during our stay that required a fancy dress code. Each is delicious and serves wonderful food. Although the menus are not robust with ridiculous amounts of choices, the options they do have are excellent and fit many different pallettes. I have to say our favorite was El Patio as we really enjoyed the Mexican fare on the menu.

Coco Cafe is a small quick snack type of joint - think Starbucks but really really tiny. Small selection of sandwiches and coffee drinks. Not the best for eating there as there are no sit down tables, but for a quick grab and go, it's perfect.

Room service was delicious - very limited menu. We mainly ordered for breakfast and their 'American Breakfast' was perfect and included Eggs, Sausage/Bacon, Toast and Hashbrowns. Yum!

The mini-fridge in the room holds Sprite, light/regular Coke, Fanta (orange), water, juice and Corona! Feel free to take and consume what you want as it's filled up everyday.

The staff at the front desk were immensely helpful whenever we had any questions or needed something such as taxis.

Throughout my stay at Dreams I felt well taken care of and felt like I could depend on the staff for anything. Will definetly recommend and stay there again. Thank you for our wonderful Honeymoon experience!!