“Delicious!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I loved Layla's. They serve excellent Mexican food that, while approachable, is elevated from the day to day taco, enchilada fare you see everywhere. The flavors they used were fantastic. I normally avoid red types of salsas (on enchiladas, etc.), because I find them to be somewhat ordinary. However, the red sauce at Layla's was absolutely delicious.

The service is excellent. It is not a large restaurant, but there are two floors and they have AC. The owner and the chef (I believe they are brothers) have both lived in the USA, and thus, speak excellent English.

The restaurant is a bit out of the way, but it is not off the beaten track and really didn't take much time to get there in a taxi from Olas Altas. This will be the first restaurant that we eat at the next time we are in PV.

Visited June 2014

Puerto Vallarta
“Wonderful dinner in Pv”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Just returned home from a truly 5 Star dinner... My date rarely will go with 5 stars but in this case he said 4 out of 5 of his guidelines were 5, the other a 4. We were greeted by the owner, (a plus) asked if we wanted to sit downstairs or upstairs in the open air. (we chose upstairs); two waiters took good care of us, (another plus) they brought 'surprises' given by the owners (which you have to go to see what they are); The food was fantastic... pork shanks in adobo sauce... rice and salsa. (the 3rd plus) The wines were great, both red and white (another plus); ambiance was nice (a 4star) However, I liked it better then my date. Oscar and Arturo, our waiters were great; not overly attentive, but there when we needed them. A great evening 'again'. Thank you to Layla's!

1 Thank Gingerita
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love Layla's!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's not our first time in PV, but first time at Layla's. There are sooo many dining options here it will be very hard not to go back to Layla's all week! :)

We went close to lunchtime and were the only ones there. Food, service, atmosphere excellent! Hubby had the American Breakfast and I had Chicken Piccata. Both were excellent.

Service was friendly and efficient, and we chatted with the chef. We sat on the main floor which was air conditioned. It's tucked out of the way and was very intimate.

I really enjoyed Layla's and will return.

• Visited July 2014
Rodrigo V, Gerente at Layla's Restaurante, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
thank you for your comment it is very important to us, and i am very happy that you enjoy your breakfast-lunch, hope to see you again
“Great food and people”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Walked into this place with my wife on our way to the malecon/boardwalk by chance, and we were really glad we did.

The manager was really friendly/hospitable as was the rest of the team, and the food was great.

Try the "chicken lollipops" - great barbeque sauce and presentation. Also perfectly cooked - crispy yet moist. My lemon trout entrée was also excellent, and my wife's tacos were pretty delicious too.

San Francisco, California
“Doesn't get better than Layla's”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Being a regular traveler to Puerto Vallarta, I ate at Layla's three times in February (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and enjoyed each meal to the fullest. The Breakfast chilaquiles were unique, with not the typical red/green sauce. Darker sauce with cotija cheese. The presentation was photographic and the tortillas were crisp, just like I like them.

Lunch in February was the beef empanadas, with another photo-worthy presentation. Much less "dough" than most empanadas. Very meaty and savory and, again, the presentation was part of the enjoyment of the dish.

Dinner in February was a huge rib-eye steak, thick and cooked perfectly to my specifications (medium-rare) with a class of excellent red wine. Dish was 209 pesos. Wine was 62 pesos. I'd had a rib-eye two days before, elsewhere a few blocks away, and this one was much better and twice as thick.

The draw of Layla's, besides the food and staying in the 5 de Diciembre colonia, so I can walk to it, is the owners and the ambience. Isabel and Rodrigo make you feel like you've walked into a very special place and you are their guests and friends. On the last night I was there in February, I'd busted my ankle earlier in the day and they came out to actually lift me up two steps into their restaurant as I couldn't do it alone. I couldn't wait to get back, being able to walk there again.

Two of us went in May for the Restaurant Week menu. We had the three-course meal (199 pesos each) of chicken lollipops for one of us and Asian salad for the other, tender (to the point of rare) Asian Salmon, on a cabbage bed with generous garnish of chopped, marinated apples, and a wonderful chocolate Buenas Noches dessert topped with ice cream. A feast for the eyes and palate and a bargain. We were so stuffed, with the light bread/tapinade appetizers, that we had to take the dessert home.

As usual, the owners are often the table-servers and both of them and their skilled, friendly staff make you feel like you are in their house. In February, the chef came out to have a friendly conversation with me. This is a family-owned restaurant that still amazes me, as to how they can do this, what with offering three meals a day, six days a week.

The Restaurant Week salmon serving was huge and perfect. We both had the same dish, of the three choices entrée choices. Melt in your mouth. My dining partner (who had not been to Layla's before) thought that was his best meal of our trip. Topped off with one glass of excellent red house wine. 62 pesos.

It was a rainy night so Isabel called a cab for us. The service and ambience there is the best. Had it not been a rainy night, we may have asked to sit upstairs on their colorful second floor, where there is a full bar and a few tables, including an outdoor patio --- complete with numerous murals of vibrant Mexican scenes.

As when I left in February, Layla's was going to be the first place I went when I returned to Puerto Vallarta and it was. It will be the first place we return next trip.

Layla's is located across the street from Parque Hidalgo, just north of the Malecón, in a neighborhood which is not too touristy. The food and menu is tantalizing and varied, enough to encourage people to keep returning. The service is low-key but very attentive. The "pride of ownership" shines in this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank MarlySF
Rodrigo V, Propietario at Layla's Restaurante, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
waooooooo, thank you for your wonderful review, when we open layla´s, we opened thinking of giving good food and good service and it is very motivate for us to know than in each one of your visit you enjoy your food, we hope to see you in your next visit to puerto vallarta