“Nice selection (BUT OVERPRICED) of artwork, sculpture, mexican handcrafts”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Galeria Alpacora

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Galeria Alpacora
Ranked #107 of 172 things to do in Puerto Vallarta
Del Mar, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Nice selection (BUT OVERPRICED) of artwork, sculpture, mexican handcrafts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I purchased a hand painted sculpture (alibrijes) from this gallery. When I returned hom to the U.S. I went to an artshow where the gallery owner was present and was obviously someone who specialized in fine mexican art. He carried and represented sculptures similar to the one I purchased at Galeria Alpacora. I told him how much I paid for the sculpture there and he was shocked and apologized that I was 'taken advantage of'. I later even emailed him photos and the measurements of the sculpture to confirm. I have no reason to believe that he had any other motive other than wanting to see art enthusiasts purchase art at a fair price. Since then I've been to other galleries in Vallarta, again, who carry identical artwork including sculptures by the same artist as mine. Same quality. Their prices are about 30-40% LESS THAN at Galeria Alpacora. I emailed the gallery owner at Galeria Alpacora and after several attempts he finally responded. I insisted that my sculpture was 'very special' and highlighted the reasons. Honestly, after looking at SEVERAL sculptures by the same artist and talking to other gallery owners, I think that he is just charging much more than he should be. I encourage you to visit 2 other galleries and compare for your self; Colectika Gallery and Peyote People. Both are in the 'art gallery' district near the malecon. I can appreciate someone trying to make a living and being a business owner but I believe this gallery needs to re-evaluate their pricing.

Visited February 2013