“Enjoyed this place twice...”
Review of Mangrove Steak and Fun House - CLOSED

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2013

both times using Cupocity coupons.
There were 6 of us the first time, and all but one enjoyed their very tasty NY or rib eye steaks.
I had rib eye, and tho it wasn't as tender as I've had, the rubbing spice used was very flavorful.
Enjoyed the soup and bread, the red wine was a good pour, and loved the grilled veggies that came with the entree. Margaritas were @ 50 pesos; desserts @90...large but that is somewhat pricey. Serivice couldn't have been better and everyone was extremely friendly and grateful for our business. I think the place had been open for only 2 weeks.

I had 4 more coupons but they expired before I could use them. I contacted Carlos, the owner/manager, who very graciously accepted them weeks after they had expired. This time we all ordered the NY steaks and mine was both thick and tender. We almost left after dinner, but one of the waitstaff told us that a good band was going to play. We stayed and enjoyed exceptionally good Cuban music...and we were offered after dinner drinks on the house. Although a few of my friends have posted bad reviews on a local website, I have nothing but good to report about both of my experiences there. A hint on steaks in Mexico: even at the 5 star resorts, tender meat seems to be hit or miss. Not sure why, but so it is. Dinner out to me is more of a social event, so I'm happy if the company and service and value is good. Can't say enough about the value of using Cupocity coupons to try out a restaurant!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Avocado stuffed with baby shrimp was a very good appetizer. Then some complimentary bread and a spread with the appearance and consistency of humus but a different flavor. Next, asparagus soup, which was tasty but not a cream soup so a bit thin as an earlier reviewer noted. We ordered the New York strip with salad as our side choice. The steak was cooked as requested and was flavorful but thin with a lot of fat and some gristle. It was a typical cut of beef in Mexico. Definitely not purchased from Costco, whose beef in PV is excellent. The salad was a nice mixture of greens and veggies. Finally, we shared a large piece of corn cake. Enough for two and very tasty. We had only recently been introduced to this Mexican dessert and this compared very favorably to our first experience with it. We recommend that visitors try it if you can find it. My limonada was a cut above many and her house red was judged to be mellow and nice. They had a five piece band that began playing at nine. Lead vocalist was quite good. It's a nice extra for those eating late.

For quality steak at reasonable prices, go to either Polo in the Zona Romantica or El Brujo in either the Zona or Buceries. Both are seafood restaurants but offer Costco quality cuts of beef at a very good price.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Four of us used cupocity coupons, so the value was amazing! Included was a full glass of wine, a bowl of great asparagus soup, and a New York steak that tasted as good as any I've ever had!! It was a good size piece of meat, and came with a choice of potatoes, salad, or mixed veggies.
The waiter was very attentive, and his English was perfect.
We had the brownies with ice cream for dessert.......mmmmmmmmmmm!
Although the prices are much higher off the regular menu, they are comparable to most restaurants in the area, but the quality/taste of the steak makes it worth it.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I went to discover this new restaurant in the Romantic Zone for the first time with a coupon we bought from Cupocity, and that was THE best meat experience we have had in a very long time. We both had the New York because that s our favorite and the quality was exceptional. We loved the open-air seating, the garden, the excellent service provided by our waiter and all the details. The owner was very friendly and we will come back again to try the menu. Thank you !

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great service, nice setting, food was tasty and well presented. They have only been open for a few weeks so are still "getting it together" but it's definitely worth trying.