“Where is Jorge's Hideaway”

Jorge's Hideaway Shrimp Shack
Ranked #27 of 1,020 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Where is Jorge's Hideaway”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I asked that question to three cab drivers and two people as my wife and I walked up a nice cobblestone road in PV, but nobody seemed to know. After a right turn and a left and then two blocks we walked down a dark street, to a blue light and yes! we found it. Only about a five minute walk from LA Palapa.

This Restaurant is an old home made into a little 6 table restaurant. It opens about 4 pm and is run by a father and his two sons. The food was good and the soup was excellent.
I give it five stars because I enjoyed Jorge and his boys. I enjoyed that the dinning was more like eating dinner at Jorge's home not like a restaurant. Don't go there expecting a 5 star restaurant, but do go if you want a good meal and a little different dinning experience.
During our visit only beer and wine were served, but Jorge said with in days he will have the license to serve all liquors.

3 Thank 14fun

Puerto Vallarta
“Every Dish was a Winner!”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

After my second visit to Jorge's Hideaway, I have tasted 6 different main courses and 2 soups -- everything is delicious! On each visit, I ate with 2-3 other people and the forks and spoons were flying around the table as we ooohed and aahhhed over each others' choices. The soups (Tortilla & Poblano Cream) were both outstanding! With several shrimp selections as well as chicken, beef & fish offerings, the menu has something for everyone.

The setting is simple, rustic & cozy. The service is attentive and professional. I look forward to many more visits to this great neighbourhood spot!

1 Thank Kimmy_PV
Chicago, Illinois
“Get Away to "Jorge's Hideaway!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have owned my own catering business for 25 years and am a personal chef that has traveled around the world. I've been going to Puerto Vallarta (Old P.V. on Los Muertos Beach) for over 30 years, and though I hate to admit it,... I am a creature of habit. I tend to visit all the old haunts that have been there for years. Recently, I discovered the beach bar 'SWELL' just south of the El Dorado. Being older, I can't hang in the sun as I once could and 'Swell' offers the perfect solution to that problem. One of the waiters at 'Swell' (Jorge) now owns his own restaurant 'Jorge's Hideaway' off the beaten path of Olas Altos. His son Kevin is the head waiter and his side kick "Tio Oscar" are the service staff. What a wonderful "hidden" secret! Have I had better food? Yes! But my overall experience was fantastic! Kevin & Oscar provide exceptional service and the food is very, very good! It is well worth the 1/2 block trek off the beaten path! Tell them that Mateo & James (old, gay interracial couple) sent you! ;-) Enjoy!

1 Thank Matthew G
Tampa
“The Shrimp in the Pineapple...awesome!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

What a great find! Just a few tables here - but the food was amazing and the service was great. I'm guessing that everything they serve here is great - but I "won" during our group dinner by ordering the Shrimp/Pineapple entrée! It was a little spicy, and I loved every bite! It's a little out of the way - which was fine with us.

Must go!

San Diego, California
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

To the previous commentator who rated Jorge's as "terrible" simply because they were closed when she arrived there. Listen, restaurants and businesses tend to close during the late summer in tropical Mexico because it is the low season. It is in many cases not financially viable to remain open between about late August and early October. Such is the case with Joirge's. He will be open again in early October. You sure were quick to judge and it reflects your poor knowledge of the restaurant business in Puerto Vallarta.

Having said the above, Jorge's is all about fresh seafood, especially shrimp, and you can order it a number of ways. The shrimp are consistently of high quality, great texture, excellent preparation and delightful presentation. The service is on a par with some of the world's finest five-star places. Yes it is simple and extremely non-pretentious, but this should not be the reason you attend this restaurant. We dined there in late August 2013 and will definitely be returning.

• Visited August 2013