“Very nice hotel”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #40 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I spent here a week, and enjoyed it a lot. Hotel is smaller compared to other hotels near the beach. Food is great, and service is amazing. Rooms are spacious and clean. I highly recommend this hotel for families with kids. Pool is nice, but could be a little bit bigger.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Aleksandra K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We have just returned from a week at this Hilton and were rather disappointed. We ought to have paid more attention to the negative reviews and selected a different hotel. We often read them and feel that the writers are too picky and looking for perfection where it cannot exist. However, this time we agree with the reports about mediocre food, incomplete room cleaning and replenishment and most especially the ridiculously designed bathroom area. The shower door did not prevent the spray from making a huge puddle on our floor. The sink drained very very slowly and the worst was the little toilet room with the swinging saloon style glass door and no ceiling fan. One day we booked one of the $30 cabanas and when we went to use it, it had been taken over by a large family. It took intervention by 5 different Hilton employees to get the situation sorted out and despite promises that the charge would be reduced, when we checked out, that had not been done. We booked the $25 per person Lobster Night dinner and that was a dismal disappointment as well. Billed as an evening of dining and music, we thought it might make a nice change of pace. No sooner had we sat down than the lobsters arrived, small and dried out. There were a few salads and a tray of ordinary desserts which must have been brought over from the buffet. There was no music and we were ready to leave in about 30 minutes. The best thing about this resort is the adult pool and sushi bar. Unfortunately it is not large enough to provide seating for all the guests who want to use it. We knew that there would be no big entertainment shows in the evenings, definitely a more quiet and somber style this hotel had, but once there was bingo and another time a music recognition game which was completely overtaken by a group of little boys. The staff were well trained and very pleasant and they worked very hard - we really appreciated their cheerful attitudes and always bore in mind that they had no control over the core problems that this resort suffers from. There are so many wonderful places to stay in Mexico - we wish we would have chosen more wisely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

6 Thank violinnguy
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was our second time to the Hilton PV and it might be the last. Last year, like any other hotel, the cabanas was on a “first come first” basis. My husband and I being early rises always got one and spent a wonderful day laughing at the unhappy/jealous faces of the late risers, hey survival of the fittest, right?
This time, however, they added a $ 40 a day fee! Really? And surprise, surprise, every single day that we stayed there, the cabanas were ALL empty, not even one being used. Something is obviously not working!
The servers at the pool area are useless. They move in a different speed than the rest of the world, and mind you we always tip and tip well, but there was no impact there. You better off doing it yourself, if you get up, get dressed, walk from the beach to the lobby bar, order your drink, walk back, undress and lay down I guarantee you will get your drink faster. Trust me I did it several times.
The other thing is, I’m a Latina, but I don’t have the Latina look, and I’m married to a person that speaks only English, I believe that fooled the servers at the main restaurant because several times that we were there they were talking among themselves and saying profanities, believing that no one around them would understand.
Also we have to question the 5 star thing. How can a 5 star hotel offers you bath towels that feel like you are rubbing sand on your body?

Room Tip: Not all rooms get good WiFi connection.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marcia H
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Att. Marcia H.
Thank you for taking your valuable time to share you opinion on our service.

Please accept our biggest apologies for not providing you with the level of service as per your expectations during your recent stay with us.

Please rest assure that base on your comments I'm taking immediate actions to correct and improve all aspects as mentioned in your comments.

I'm sharing with my service team your comments to ensure that we provide a better experience to all our guests.

There are some falicities and services not included in the all inclusive package, in the case of the Bali beds we have a big sign hanging on every bed to advise our guest os the daily charge.

We kindly invite you to consider staying with us in your next trip to Puerto Vallarta, as our main goal is to offer you a better experience.

Thank you.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I just arrived home from an 8-day stay at the Hilton. As with many of you I read the reviews up until the day I left with mixed emotions. After a couple of days into my trip I realized I had no regrets with my choice with staying at the Hilton.

Upon arrival check-in was quick and efficient. The front desk personnel took the time and had considerable patience with answering many questions. After checking in we were escorted to our room. The room was clean and presentable. The only problem I had with our room is that there was limited space to store clothing. The only location for storage was the closet, which was limited in space as well. The bathroom area was very small and could only accommodate one person when getting ready (brushing teeth, combing hair, etc). Not a game changer, but a bit annoying. We later upgraded to beachfront view for a reasonable fee. This room was for the most part the same as the other with the exception of an awesome view! The TV from the adjacent room could be heard at times, but the fan from the AC drowned the noise out. Overall, I was happy with our room. Had no problems with AC and found it to be ice cold when needed.

The customer service at the Hilton exceeded all my expectations. By far the service I received was above par with any resort I have stayed at. The employees who worked directly with the guests displayed a great attitude and showed enthusiasm for their job! Starting with Carlos and Eduardo who organized the daily activities. They were very engaging and always remembered your name. Maximo and Luis who worked in the buffet. Luis was always ready to serve me my special egg-white omelet upon entering the buffet every morning. Maximo was already pouring a cup of coffee as I was sitting down. Maximo was always serving with a sense of eagerness and would do anything to ensure you were happy. He even arranged to have an extra spicy salsa made for my wife who wasn’t satisfied with what was being offered. Maximo you are what is good with the Mexican people!

Thanks to Nicolas, Raul and Susie for the constant flow of food and drinks while poolside and the beach. You guys were always there handing me a cocktail just before finishing the last one you gave me. Thank you as well Martha and Manuel at the lobby bar! Martha, my 10-year daughter thought the world of you due to your attentive nature towards her. Maurice at the front desk thank you as well with making arraignments with having my freshly caught fish prepped by the chef later for dinner. I can go on and on with numerous examples of the services which were provided to my family by ALL the employees of Hilton. Take in mind these were not isolated events, but a continued consistent effort throughout our stay. Good job to the administration with maintaining this degree of service. One of the employees told me their managers treat them with respect and in turn this attitude is directly reflected back towards the guest. Whether or not this is true for all, but for this one employee it was.

There is much to do with excursions when arriving in PV. The port is a short 8-10 minute walk away from the resort. All three excursions we attended started at the port and I found Hilton’s location perfect for this. Upon arriving at the port there is a 20-peso fee for each person upon entry. Children under 12 were free, but I didn’t realize this until the second visit. And yes they saw my ignorance and charged us for my daughter the first time so be aware of this. This fee is collected by the Federal Government for port maintenance, etc. The walk to the port is very safe and it was interesting as well with all the shops lining the sidewalks. On one occasion we arrived back at 1130pm from an excursion. I thought about taking a cab back to the resort, but decided not to. The staff assured us at the hotel not to worry and the walk back would be fine in which it was. The three excursions we did were the Rhythms of the Night (Awesome!), Las Caletas Beach hideaway, and the extreme zip-line tour which included rock climbing, zip lines, a 20-min donkey ride to reach our location and sliding down some pretty intense water slides. All of the tours were great and I would especially recommend the extreme tour for older kids & adults who want to experience something out of the ordinary and VERY fun!

On one occasion we took the public bus downtown to visit the Malecon area. Buses arrived every 2-3 minutes near the motel and the wait was minimal. The cost was 6 pesos per person and again very safe. The buses were old, loud, and the ride was a bit bumpy which made our travel fun and interesting. The Malecon area was rich in culture and there were many stores to spend hours shopping. There were many bars and restaurants, which lined the boardwalk. Each one had their unique personality, which would appeal to almost any traveler. The bathrooms along the boardwalk cost 5-pesos to use. It seemed like everyone was looking for some way to make a buck from the tourists. If you found yourself in one of these bars enjoying a drink they would offer the use of their bathrooms for free.

There was Wi-Fi available at the hotel. The staff provided a password for access to the Internet. There were three desktop computers available for use in the lobby area. What I found interesting is that the Wi-Fi extended out to the pool area and would reach out as far as the beach area in front of the hotel. Pretty cool I thought because you didn’t have to be in the lobby area to have access to the Internet. Also, I found the Wi-Fi signal at times would extend to my room. So before paying additional costs to have Wi-Fi in your room, see if the signal was available. I was staying in room 545, which was above the lobby area. The signal was best when sitting on the balcony, but would become weaker inside the room. The Internet would become sluggish at times when in use by many guests. I found it to be strongest early in the morning in the lobby when enjoying a cup a coffee in the lobby with my Ipad.

Speaking of coffee, people complained on some reviews because of having to pay for it. What you say? There was a coffee cafe located on the second story, which was positioned in an open common area. They served everything you would find at a Starbucks store and a minimal cost was associated with each purchase. If you don’t want to spend 2-dollars for a nice hot cup of freshly grounded coffee, then go down to the Sea fire grill adjacent to the pool and asked for a to-go cup of coffee, which they provide at no cost. They provide espresso as well if you ask. Again no cost. To hear people complain in recent reviews about the coffee being less ideal, don’t be cheap and go to the second level a purchase a cup. Overall the coffee served in the buffet was fine.

The buffet was typical as you would find at any all-inclusive. Since the resort was a bit on the small size the buffet was small as well. The selections at times were limited, but I enjoyed the food. My favorite part of the buffet was breakfast. This is where the Hilton really shined in my opinion with selections of food. Everything from freshly made omelets, yogurts, cereals, pancakes, French toast and fresh fruit smoothies made while you wait. We also tried the Mexican and the French restaurants in the evening on two occasions each during our eight-day stay. Not bad and my wife and I enjoyed the food. So if you have reasonable expectations you will find the dinning experience as a whole enjoyable and the food good.

The week leading up to Easter is a very busy time in Mexico. The hotel was at full capacity and at least half the guests if not more were local residents from the surrounding Mexican states and cities. It made for an interesting experience and the hotel staff was kept busy with the many visitors. What I quickly realized with the locals is how unappreciated their attitude was towards the staff. When at the pool area, the waiters were in content motion with serving drinks/food to the many large families who were present. Waiters would often bring trays completely full with food and drinks to a family with five young children next to us. After each delivery no tip or even a simple thank was offered in return from the parents or any of their children. It was almost a sense of entitlement they displayed and even to a degree, disrespect. I found this to be a common with most of the locals. Yes there were rare occasions when tips/thank yous were offered up, but these events were few and far between. Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but I was a bit dismayed with this attitude. Sorry I am ranting here but the employees deserved better treatment. Regardless of the lack of tips, thank you, etc, the servers continued on with providing excellent service. Although they say tipping is not required, it goes a long way when given and it’s certainly appreciated by the staff when receiving it. So if you can spend several thousand dollars on a trip and find it hard to give a dollar here and there, I suggest you stay home and save your money!

In closing thank you to all the employees at the Hilton! Because of you my trip was made all the better. You set the bar high when it comes to customer service and because of that I would return again if I find myself traveling to PV.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank SurfonH20
Attn. SurfonH20
We want to thank you for choosing this your Hilton Puerto Vallarta hotel.

Also we send you our big thank you for sharing with us your detalied opinion on our service and specially on the effort done by all our service staff to provide the best possible service to all our guest.

Please be sure I'll be sharing your comments with our service and executive team.

We look forward of being your host hotel when traveling to Puerto Vallarta.
We kindly ask you to inform us on your future travel plans.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My only request would be that the music playing in the hallways should be turned off around 10pm. Most nights my kids were in bed at 9 and my wife and I around 10(after long days on the beach). The music from the hallways is easily heard in your room(junior suite) and thy have it on until 11pm, sometimes shortly after. I do t think it serves any purpose to have it on after 10pm. Other than that it was a nice stay. If the music was shut off at 10pm I would be back.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bigdaddy1111
Attn. Bigdaddy1111
First of all thank you for staying with us during yopur recent trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Also we thank you for takin the time to share with us your opinion on our service.

Please rest assure that your comments are very important to us and we'll be turning off the music in the Resort rooms and Suites section before 11 p.m. to provide a better resting time to all our guest.

We invite you to consider to stay with us in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially

Jorge Villarejo.
Tiburon
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

While enjoying our codo at the
Penninsula I was able to watch
The transformation that is the
Hilton. We often rent out our condo and like to mix a two week vacation with a stay at a hotel. We have never stayed at an all inclusive and were not sure because we know where to eat in town and we like high end food. When we dropped our bags in our private pool room which was very cool, we went directly over to the French restaurant to check the current menu, that where we met Chef
Tomasini, the magic man. I am not a fish eater just
don't like it, it was outstanding I had fish almost every night. It really sealed the deal for us. We will
return. The adult pool is fantastic! The drinks, the
Sushi the QUIET! We loved it. All in all it is a winner
The sea fire is pretty bad, I don't know what to tell you there, but the chocolate muffin is killer, that's all I would mess with there. JUST GO FOR CHEF FERNANDO TOMASINI!!! He is amongst the finest.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Steve S
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 17, 2014

To frame my review: My wife and I are couple in our early 30s with two small children (that we did not take with us). We've previously only stayed at the Riu all-inclusives and I stay in Hilton all throughout the year on business (Hilton Diamond Member).

I love Hilton in general and all of the locations I've stayed at have always been clean and great repair and this was no exception. My review score comes mostly from the perspective of value for what we paid and in comparison to other all-inclusives (mainly the Riu brand).

I consider a score of a 3 average or "as expected". So my 2 means it was slightly below expectations.

SUMMARY:
Great hotel and rooms. Average food. Not very lively. Somewhat difficult to get an adult beverage on demand. Views from the premium rooms were slightly obscured. Great Service. But everywhere the Hilton had an advantage (cabanas, volleyball, lobster dinner), they charged extra.

LOCATION:
Not bad- a 10 minute drive from the International Airport (PVR). A taxi ride FROM PVR cost us $21 USD and back TO PVR was $6 USD (not sure what the discrepancy was - price-gauging or fees???). So, the good news is you're right by the airport. The bad news (maybe not that bad) is you're down a ways from the downtown (Old Vallarta, Zona Romantica). This is also a $6-8 USD taxi ride- 10-15 minutes. We walked on the beach all the way there one day. It took us around 1:15 to get there. It was good exercise... and there's a part where you'd need to jump down off of a sidewalk about 4-5 feet. If you're okay with it and are looking to break a minimal sweat (mainly from the heat), I'd recommend it.

ROOMS:
Beautiful. We had the suite with the jacuzzi on the roof, but we never used it. Why? the tub took fa while to fill and there was no shade up on the roof and it got really hot. So, you either had to go out before breakfast or late at night (which I suppose would have been okay). However, by mid-trip, I was beginning to get jealous of the "cheaper" rooms that had a jacuzzi out on their balcony (with shade). We never saw anyone else using their rooftop jacuzzi either. Other than that, the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were brand new and clean. I had 3 issues with the room, though. The first problem I had with them per se was that the "mini-bar" was a just a small refrigerator that was stocked with 6 beers and the refrigerator never got cold. There was no liquor as part of the mini-bar either. The second issue I had was that the premium rooms were facing southwest so we had a view of the bay and mountains (amazing in itself), but could never look directly out into the ocean and see the horizon line of the ocean or see the sunset :( - you would think that the premium rooms would have a premium view...but the standard kings had a better, straight-on view than us... and last problem-ish ;) is that the staff begins to push around the bussing cart at the buffet around 5am with all of the silverware and plates on it - so if you have the doors open to hear the ocean and are looking to keep sleeping, you'll have to get up and shut the doors as there is a very loud rattling sound as the plates move every time they start rolling the cart again. Quick Tip: all faucets (shower, jacuzzi, sinks, etc.) need to have the bottom of the handle pointed left for hot and right for cold (obvious, I know)- but when you turn on the actual cold, it is initially cool and then gets colder... but when you turn towards the hot, it initially comes out freezing and then takes a minute to turn to steaming hot (it happened like this at different times of the day and with all water sources)... so FYI.

FOOD:
Interesting fact- the hotel restaurants are open to the public, so there are prices on the menu even though as a guest you don't have to pay. So.... The Buffet was average with a slightly-smaller-than-expected selection, but adequate. The sushi lounge on the 5th floor was excellent (Israel makes some great rolls) and the view was amazing. The Mexican restaurant I will guess was good - I say that because my wife thought it was very good and the shrimp I had there was great, but the sauces and other things in the dish was mismatched and off-putting. The french restaurant was good, but going along with the theme that anything extra-ordinary here comes out of pocket ($$$), I was convinced that there were different food and portions depending on if you were paying out-of-pocket or they already "had you" as a quest. My wife and I each got a crab-puff-pastry appetizer at the French restaurant that was listed as $220 MXN on the menu (so at the time of our trip this was roughly $20 USD each). The appetizers came out and were excellent... but they had roughly a teaspoon of crab in each and the total size was about that of a golf ball. Needless to say, If I was asked to pay $40 for appetizers and that's what I got, I would have complained. But it was enough food, so there was no need. However, I can't imagine a local coming in and paying $40 out-of-pocket for that and being okay with it, so I'm guessing they would get a few of those or bigger (?). The same thing happened with the entree (and not just at the French restaurant) - $290 MXN on the menu for sea bass (reasonable price), but when it came out, the whole entree could have fit inside a small coffee cup - it was great, but I wouldn't have paid $25 USD for it. So, I guess the theme was - the food was good, but I just felt cheated and nickel-and-dimed in a way. The other restaurant "Fogo" seems to change theme most nights On Saturday, it's lobster night (additional $25/person, of course). The lobster was excellent, but I could have gotten live lobster in the northern U.S. for less than that, so to me, the $25 wasn't just covering their cost (I understand why you can't have an all-you-can-eat lobster dinner), but I felt that they saw an opportunity to not only cover their costs, but make more profit, so they did it. Sunday night was "Brazil night". Having spent some time in Brazil myself, I loved the cuisine (rice, vegetables, amazing cheesy-bread, beans, fish, etc.). However, the food was actually all Brazilian Churrascaria style (all red meat). We mostly avoid red meat, so we ended up heading back to the buffet. I understand that Brazil is known for their Churrascaria style steak-houses, but this sin't the only food that exists there... just like their Mexican restaurant didn't just serve chips and salsa. Oh well... I don't mean to sound bitter ;) but communication could have been improved. In general, food is available 24/7 like most all-inclusives, but (you guessed it) there is a $7 charge for food after dinner and before breakfast. There was also an option for a private beach dinner, but I'm sure that was extra.

BEVERAGES:
The good news: there are in fact beverages. The bad news: the coffee is weak and flavorless. However, you can get a strong cup or a cappuccino on the second floor made by a barista for free (just kidding - you have to pay for good coffee too). The wine is actually better than some other all-inclusives, but it's all chilled very cold (which can be off-putting when you're ordering a dry red). Adult beverages... the margaritas are weak (we actually had to ask a few times if they were virgin and we had to specifically ask for tequila), the beer is as expected. The cocktails are weak as well. I usually order a scotch and tonic (weird, I know - don't let that discredit this review) and I had to hold the cocktail up to the light at dinner just to discern whether I was picking up my water glass or my cocktail (i.e.: there was barely any alcohol in it). There is no swim-up bar at all and no bar (other than the one on the 5th floor) opens up until afternoon (ugh- I know). There are cocktail servers who are doing as great a job as they can serving so many people, but it takes a while to flag them down and then even longer to actually get your drink. So, if you're more concerned about getting a drink ASAP, you'll need to walk up to the 5th floor. But if you're more concerned about laying on the beach or sitting by the pool and reading, then you'll have to be patient.

ACTIVITIES:
The resort overall was pretty slow (which could be a good thing). We straddled an off-weak as well as spring break (all of the staff warned us of the impending rush that was going to happen the next week... and there were maybe noticeably more people... nothing bad). Nighttime entertainment not really existent (but again, that could be a good thing). They did have a nice sand volleyball court that is kept damp in the hot sun, but (I can't believe I'm doing this again)... it... costs... extra. It seemed like they had a nice "kids club" with activities throughout they day.

POOL/BEACH:
The beach was nice and had some... (are you sitting down? - because you should be) FREE lounge chairs and canopies. There was no barricade or boundary for the beach vendors, so if you want to have your feet in the sand, you'll be bombarded by merchants. The only way to avoid this (maybe) is to sleep or have a book so close to your face that they can't get your attention. But it's a great view. There are also some really lovely cabanas that are also available for (*cringe*) a price.

VALUE:
The cost of the trip was around $4,000+ for 7 nights including airfare (from Milwaukee). We could have booked 2 weeks at a Riu for that price. I wish we had done that (or some other resort... I'm not affiliated with the Riu brand, but that's the only other place we've stayed). If you've read my entire review, you can probably figure out that I wouldn't recommend this resort as being 'valuable'. However (no sarcasm here) this is a great resort for you if: you're not too concerned about price, don't want a lot of college kids fist-pounding to club music in the pool, aren't a heavy drinker (especially before the afternoon), retire early to bed so there's no need for high-quality entertainment, and aren't a liquor or food connoisseur. Eeash- that sounds bad, but basically if you're looking to relax in peace-and-quiet and really couldn't care less about what's around you, this would be a fine option. I really had a higher expectation for Hilton. And if Riu's are average (from what I've heard), then this is definitely below average. I absolutely love all of Hilton's other non-all-inclusive properties I've stayed at though. Best of luck!

Room Tip: If you decide to book, don't spend the extra for the rooftop jacuzzi option.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PosterChilde
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Attn. Poster Childe
I want to thank you for posting your opinion and for the detailed feed back provided.
At Hilton Puerto Vallarta our comminment is to provide the best possible service to all our guests, please rest assure that I'm working with all my executive team and service staff, base on you comments to improve every step as mentioned.
We are taking inmmediate action on your opinion for rooms, food, beverage and kid's club.
also we want to inform you that the daily activities program has no extra cost.
Looking to offer more options for our guests we have included in our weekly program some options with a surcharge base on those items not included in the all inclusive package.

We are very concern to learn that we didn't achieve with your expectations and wish to consider to stay with us in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta, to have the opportunity to change for better your opinion and show you the improvements done.

We look forward to be your host hotel in the near future.

cordially