“Almost Five Stars”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #42 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'm going to tell you why this hotel could have been five stars first and then will tell you why I only gave it four stars. I am a Hilton Diamond and they take very good care of me, but I also have very high expectations. This hotel meets or exceeds my expectations on many levels. The hotel itself is VERY well located, only a seven to ten minute drive from the airport. It is only two blocks from the marina where the cruise ships dock and that is where most of the tours are so there are no taxi rides for that. The hotels itself is very small, almost like a boutique hotel, very clean and updated. I got upgraded to the new building, a junior suite on the 3rd floor with a Jacuzzi that was spacious with a beautiful bathroom. My ONLY issue with the room would be the lack of privacy in the bathroom with all glass and only a thin curtain separating it from the rest of the room. If you had the light on in the bathroom you might as well been on stage, so if you are a family and not a couple you might want to ask about that. The pool is small with no swim up bar, but there are wait staff always walking around for drinks and two bars are within 20 steps of anywhere you are at the pool. They designed these clean small pods like bathrooms only steps away from the pool which I thought was a brilliant idea. No trudging through the lobby looking for a rest room. The drinks are plentiful and mixed with good liquors, no complaints on drinks, beer or wine at all. All of the staff from the front desk, lobby, bars, restaurants, housekeeping are all superior. The ONLY reason I wouldn't rate this hotel five stars is the food. Although it was not terrible, it wasn't wonderful either. I had this conversation with many people around the pool and bars and many agreed, but many also said that they thought the food was fine. I disagree. The worst was the "upscale" Mexican which to me was almost inedible, tasteless and bland. The buffet was okay and the Brazilian would have been good if the chicken wasn't undercooked and the beef overcooked. A new head chef and this resort would have it all. I love the fact that it is smaller. Even though it was spring break and quite busy there wasn't people crawling all over you. It seems an older crowd not a ton of kids and babies. You don't have to walk five miles from your room to the restaurants or pool. So the bottom line is if you are a real foodie this might not be your cup of tea. However, if you are a real foodie you probably won't go to an all inclusive in the first place. But compared to other all inclusive resorts I've been to, including other Hilton, this one was under par in the food category.

Room Tip: New building, room 304 has a sunset that was postcard perfect. Ask about privacy for the bathrooms i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lllovestravel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed there the second week of March and had a great time. The food was good, I loved the Brazilian restaurant. The service was good throughout the hotel, better than some more expensive AI propertis I stayed at in PV. The hotel's wi-fi was lacking - slow and spotty reception. The French restaurant has great presentation, everything looked and tasted great. The room was clean with a decent bed and pillows.

Room Tip: Rooms x40 have two sliding glass doors
1  Thank havefun065
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed here the second week of march. Location was the only good thing about this place.

The food was below average. I ate at the Mexican one time and it was a 3 hour meal. Salad and soup served in a coffee cup. Pork tenderloin was more like pork chops hard as a rock. Only ate buffet after that and because the food was not good, we went and ate off the resort more than we should have had too.

Seagulls bath, poop, drop food, etc in the pool. I didnt see the pool ever get cleaned.

There is only 1 bar on the ground floor, inside the lobby. So either you wait for a waiter to come around to you at the pool or you go inside to get a drink.

We had blood or something red on the wall in the washroom that was never cleaned off. The bed sheets had stains for a few days at a time so they obviously were not changed often.

The resort is very very very very very small so it is the same thing over again everyday unless u leave the resort.

The resort is definitely no more than a 3 star. You are paying for the name 'Hilton' rather than a quality resort.

• Stayed: March 2014
8  Thank Vantravel09
JORGE V, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Attn. VanTravel9
First I want to thank you for taking your time to share you opinion on our service while you was our guest during March.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not providing the quality of service in our french restaurant and buffets variety.

Please be sure that we are taking proper steps to correct everything you have mentioned
as well as to keep our facilities free of birds.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to be your host in your next visit to Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially

Jorge Villarejo

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We spent two nights here for a quick getaway from Los Angeles. The hotel is extremely clean, our room was really clean and fabulously modern. The staff was always friendly. We spent most of our time by the pool which was the perfect temperature and lounge chairs seemed to always be available although I did notice guests get up very early to claim their favored lounges..so my suggestion is to do the same..mark your territory with a book or personal item as some spots do not get the sun until later in the day. The server at the pool provides endless drinks, bottled water,etc. so it is easy to stay hydrated.
The all you can eat buffet restaurant overlooks the pool so dining is a pretty effortless experience. We always ate breakfast and lunch there then enjoyed the more upscale restaurants for dinner. We ate Italian then French. The menu was somewhat limited but the food was good. The dining experience reminded me of a cruise ship in a way. Since it was all inclusive everything was included which gives you the opportunity to try all types of different food. The variety at the buffet definitely makes up for the smaller dinner menus. The location is close to the airport, you need to take a taxi to the major shopping area but it is pretty cheap. We didn't really go for the shopping and found most of the silver jewelry to be expensive. There is a grocery store about two blocks away from the hotel so that is where we bought sunscreen,toiletries,etc. We asked for a later checkout as I am a HH member however they were unable to grant us one. We were hoping for a changing room as our flight was in the late afternoon so we planned to spend the day by the pool however they did not have that available either as the hotel was sold out. So plan accordingly, we changed in the bathroom and went to the airport smelling like suntan lotion. A small price to pay for a great getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Yvettetravels
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I went on a getaway without our children. When we arrived, the bell hop and the front desk staff were very efficient and helpful. They even brought us a margarita to start. Our room was very nice. It was clean and modern. We had room 108, which is a king oceanview room with a semi-private pool. We really enjoyed that! Here are a few reasons I wouldn't rate this hotel any higher:
1) The food was awful. The only restaurant we enjoyed was the French. The buffets were awful. We went to the Brazilian and the meat was very tough and slow to come if we didn't get passed up. I went to bed hungry. The Italian buffet was not what I consider Italian food. It was ok, but nothing to jump up and down about. I must add that I can't comment on the Mexican restaurant, as we never went there. After we found out the French restaurant was ok, we decided to stick with that since all the others were not up to par. The casual dining near the pool never did much for us either. The amount of flies on the food really bothered us. I'm not sure how you can avoid that though when the doors are open, which actually gave the place a nice, airy feel. Another note: the service at the restaurants was quite slow. One night, we ended up walking up and serving our own wine and getting menus after sitting for a half an hour.
2)Our mini bar was supposed to be stocked daily. We had to ask numerous times to restock it. We ended up going to the bar ourselves to get water bottles. The gentleman who stocked the mini bars was not happy when he had to come.
3)We never had beach towels. We always had to request them. The suites have their own. The rooms check them out at the pool. Also, we had slippers in our rooms, but had to ask for the bathrobes.

The positives that would make this higher than a 3 are the following:
1)Most of the staff were amazing. We loved Aaron at the pool bar. He can make a mean margarita. Martha at the bar downstairs was awesome, as well. She makes a great fruity drink. Her own recipe.
2)Our room was very clean and comfortable.
3)The pools are beautiful.

A few side notes:
1)We were there in March and the surf was quite rough. Beautiful beach, but don't expect calm, clear water.
2)The sunset from the upstairs rooftop pool and bar are amazing. Great photos!
3)Cab to Romance Zone is around 100 Pesos, to downtown boardwalk area around 80 Pesos. Make sure you find out how much they will charge you before they take off with you. ;)
4)The hotel is a bit loud. The music is playing at the pool during the day, which was fine for us, but just a heads up. Also, we had trouble going to bed at night. The entertainment was very loud. It echoed down our hallway.

Room Tip: We loved the junior suite with the semi-private pool! The patios are separated so you have your own...
3  Thank 434melissak
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked a ocean front with two double beds, got a kingsize bed but offered a partial water view itch two beds after two days. TV didn't work no biggie but the refrigerated didn't work either, which had to be replaced. Worst if all was the sewage smell that came up out of the bathroom drains in the mornings. The staff was amazing though!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Fawn O
Reviewed March 14, 2014

my husband and i stayed here for a week at the end of february 2014 and it was heavenly---could not ask for better service or more friendly and helpful staff. everyone was very professional as well as friendly. we loved it and would stay again

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts