“Not bad but not a 5 star”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #39 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton PV from Jab 3rd --Jan 10th if you have stayed at 5 star resorts in the past then you will be disappointed by the Hilton PV, First of all there are no real restaurants other then the buffet and what they pass off as fine dinning is a joke but a solid effort by the staff make it manageable, as well you need to make reservations , The Italian has no menu just order the kind of pasta that you want with the type of sauce you want it was pretty funny actually. The Brazilian was not even close to a Brazilian steak house again very comical to watch them try to pull this off, The Mexican and French did have menus at least , The buffet is your best bet it wasn't all that bad and had a good mix of options to choose from. Tipping often and tipping well will get you good service here, if you don't tip that often you can expect to sit through most of your meal with out even being offered water. We stayed in room 245 ocean / pool view great room large balcony couple of complaints the drains in the sink and shower are very slow to drain (20 min) and its pretty disgusting, rooms were not made up until well after 4pm sometimes close to 6pm, I caught the kid restocking the mini bar red handed taking the maid tip money so I'm guessing that's why our room was never made up in a timely fashion he was taking her tips, I should have reported him but didn't want to cause a scene,,he was terrified that I was going to. There is an empty coffee/deli type of shop on the second floor that is not apart of the all inclusive it cost $3:50 for a coffee and the same cakes were in there on the Friday that we checked in and when we left the following Friday I never saw one person in there , Room service is $7 dollar fee that is payable at the door when they deliver what you ordered.
Over all the resort is very clean the O'west lounge on the 5th floor was really nice offered great views and the sushi wasn't to bad, the lobby bar at night was the only place that served a drink after 6 pm bar tenders there were great .
One great plus was that they severed beer in cans Bud,Bud-light, Corona ect ... crown royal, absolute,sky,ketle one vodka, Jack Daniels ect.... and the resort is in a great location as far as I was concearned really nice to watch the cruise ships come and go. Great resort to spent a quiet week relaxing with the family,
We stayed at the Hard Rock/Moon Palace last couple of years and will return there it is a true 5 star.

Room Tip: Pull out your Hilton Honors Card when checking in , second floor pool ocean view balconys were great...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Will R
There are newer reviews for Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. I think that by and large, the recent negative reviews are probably fair, but after visiting, I think some folks did embellish a little. I'm a Hilton Diamond member, so am very familiar with the Hilton product. There are often inconsistencies from property to property as some are corporately owned and others are franchised. If I had to guess, the Hilton PV is a franchised property. Having visited the Hilton in Cabo, I use that as the gold standard for Hilton's vacation properties. Below is a factual representation of our trip.

Staff
- All staff were very courteous and hard working. We had no problems. For this I'd give them 5 stars.

Restaurants
- Don't do it! We ate at the Mexican restaurant the night we arrived. We were extremely disappointed. The food quality is very poor. The irony is that the Mexican buffet was significantly better than the sit down restaurant.

Buffet
- For breakfast and lunch, the buffet is perfectly fine and is comparable to other all inclusive hotels. Some commented on the service or the fact that many things weren't filled often. We didn't have that problem.
- The beach bar is pretty good if you want a hamburger or some chips and salsa. No issues there.

Accommodations
- Our room was pretty nice and clean. We had an ocean-front room with a hot tub on the balcony. It's very much a standard Hilton room. Some complained about there being no authenticity. The only thing that is authentic is that it looks exactly like any other Hilton room you might find in the US. That wasn't a problem for us.

Pool/Daily Resort Activities/Grounds
- The pool was nice. It's not large, but we found it spacious enough. The hotel didn't seem very full though. It's likely that the pool area isn't big enough if the hotel is at capacity. That said, there is plenty of room to sit on the beach and the ocean is safe to swim in. The activity staff was great, but I would have hoped that there were more activities. Some examples of things that could have made the guest experience a little better could be: salsa/guacamole making, cocktail class, dance lessons, etc. The grounds were nice. Not over the top, but nice. Some complained of the need for new paint. There were a few areas that I'd agree need some touch-up, but not the entire hotel. That's pretty common for a mid-level resort property.

All Inclusive
- The resort is all inclusive, but I have one large gripe. There is a coffee bar/cafe on the second floor of the hotel. They charge $3.50+US for a coffee drink that isn't drip coffee. Now, this is about a dollar less than Starbucks and I can afford to purchase coffee, but this didn't sit well with me. A suggestion to the hotel, increase your rate $1.00US per person and you'll more than cover the cost of coffee and include it in the all inclusive package. The thinking here is that only about 5% of guests will actually partake in a latte while staying, so the extra buck from those not interested is gravy.

Concierge
- I'm not sure what time the concierge leaves for the day, but why isn't there a backup? Big problem for us. Around 8pm I went down to ask for help with a dinner reservation around 9:30pm the same day. The front desk staff were the only staff on duty. When asked if they could help, they told me that the did not have access to an outside line and could not call for me. They told me to go back to my room, call the operator and have him/her connect me with the restaurant. Guess what??? I was charged for the call...some of which is revenue for the hotel. I wasn't impressed and I'm pretty sure the front desk can get an outside line. What would they do if there was a fire? Ask a guest to go to their room and call the fire department?

All in all, our stay was decent. Not awesome, but good enough, particularly since I used points for part of my stay. On my next trip to PV, I'll probably look elsewhere.

One piece of advice to Hilton, since it's hard to produce good food for the masses, maybe Hilton can offer a drink package vs. all inclusive.

Room Tip: Many rooms are "ocean view". Ask for a beach-front room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank penntf
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel staff was great. Annabelle by the pool made our poolside days very enjoyable. Erick at the lobby bar was great too. The restaurant situation was terrible they pretended to have four restaurants but really had only the Buffett and a rotating menu at the only other restaurant, what a scam! The food was terrible too at whatever restaurant it pretended to be that night. Unless you get a great deal like we did you can do better than this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travel4workguy
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at Hilton hotel. It’s very nice, clean, modern and comfortable place conveniently located close to everything the city of Puerto Vallarta has to offer. It is 5 minute taxi ride away from Malicon and 5 minute walk away from Puerto Vallarta Marina. It’s the perfect size hotel for my taste, not huge, not overly crowded, and just perfect. The food at the Seafire as well as 3 other restaurants at the hotel was simply amazing. It was delicious! I have stayed at all-inclusive resorts before but never had such a pleasant food experience as I had a t Hilton Vallarta.
Hotel stuff was very helpful and very accommodating. I would like to say special thank you to Mauricio, who went above and beyond to make our stay extra comfortable and accommodate our every need. Thank you so much dear Mauricio!
I will be definitely coming back to this hotel in the future and I would recommend it to others, it’s a great place to spend a vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2014

First off I thought people reviewing poorly was overrated, I've learned they were pretty bang on...first off arrived at 6 pm, room card was given, and I walked up to a dirty room...pretty disgusting if you ask me...then over the next 3 1/2 hours I was promised my room would be ready right away...checked 5 times!! complained every single time, they refused to give me another clean room (low seaon), and other people were checking in no problem...staff was polite but wouldnt do anything for us. Managament a bit of a joke.

Pool and Beach are beautiful
Resort was very clean

Room housekeeping worst ever...always something not done...dirty dishes left, no facecloths all week, no hand soap for 2 days (used shampoo), garbage left

waitress/waiters...excellent service...pool waitresses work their butts off!

Food...Great...smaller buffet but always found great food to eat and our little kids did as well. Al La Carte restaurants were fabulous with great service but expect to take about 1 1/2 hours for dinner...little slow for kids.

Overall....we had a great vacation nothing was bad enough to ruin the trip...but think theres better options out there for hotels in PV.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa104
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I'll keep it short. Horrible and expensive for the quality of service and food. We had the AI plan but ate off the resort most of the time. The pool and beach were nice if you could get a spot. The rooms were fairly basic and small. Rooms and resort were clean. I would not recommend this resort. By far, one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I have stayed at better places in PV for 1/3 of the price of this hotel.

Room Tip: Our garden view room faced towards a retaining wall, a propane tank and 1 palm tree
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tina S
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel before going. I just figured since it was a Hilton and rated a 5 star, it would be great. Wrong! We stayed over New Years with 3 other couple friends and our young children.

We checked in on Dec. 29/13 and only 1 of the 4 rooms was ready for check-in at 3:00 p.m. and although we had made a previous request for a crib, we were told that they had none available until Jan. 2/14. On Jan. 2nd two of us got cribs, the other did not.

The rooms are large and the beds are comfortable but that is the only positives for the rooms. We were constantly out of hot water and the drain in the shower was very slow. When towels were replaced, they would short us replacement towels. Our mini-bar was never restocked. We left a tip every day hoping to entice some good service, but alas, no improvement.

The pool and beach are nice. Service by the pool was ok. We were also left out on the Mohitos because of the lack of mint.

There is one buffet and there is supposed to be al le cartes but we only could get reservations at the French and the Mexican restaurant as the others were not open. We had reservations for 7:00 p.m. and did not get our food until 8:30 p.m. The kids did not last that long. The food was good. There are only 4 high chairs in the whole resort so its kind of a mad dash to find one. We were lucky to get a high chair 30% of the time. I don't know why but for some reason they never had spoons and seemed to be short of supplies. It was so weird.

We always bring lots of small bills when we go to Mexico to tip. We firmly believe in tipping, however, it didn't seem to help. Either the servers were unhappy because of management or they just didn't care. I am not sure what the issue was but it didn't improve our whole stay. It was so unlike Mexican hospitality to see such a lack of caring.

It was tough to exchange funds as they were usually out of pesos at the front desk.

We've stayed at the Melia, the Royal Decameron and a house in PV in the past. All were way better than the Hilton and we paid the most for the Hilton. Go figure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family