“Not Impressed”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #43 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The hotel staff was great. Annabelle by the pool made our poolside days very enjoyable. Erick at the lobby bar was great too. The restaurant situation was terrible they pretended to have four restaurants but really had only the Buffett and a rotating menu at the only other restaurant, what a scam! The food was terrible too at whatever restaurant it pretended to be that night. Unless you get a great deal like we did you can do better than this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travel4workguy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,923)

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at Hilton hotel. It’s very nice, clean, modern and comfortable place conveniently located close to everything the city of Puerto Vallarta has to offer. It is 5 minute taxi ride away from Malicon and 5 minute walk away from Puerto Vallarta Marina. It’s the perfect size hotel for my taste, not huge, not overly crowded, and just perfect. The food at the Seafire as well as 3 other restaurants at the hotel was simply amazing. It was delicious! I have stayed at all-inclusive resorts before but never had such a pleasant food experience as I had a t Hilton Vallarta.
Hotel stuff was very helpful and very accommodating. I would like to say special thank you to Mauricio, who went above and beyond to make our stay extra comfortable and accommodate our every need. Thank you so much dear Mauricio!
I will be definitely coming back to this hotel in the future and I would recommend it to others, it’s a great place to spend a vacation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 11, 2014

First off I thought people reviewing poorly was overrated, I've learned they were pretty bang on...first off arrived at 6 pm, room card was given, and I walked up to a dirty room...pretty disgusting if you ask me...then over the next 3 1/2 hours I was promised my room would be ready right away...checked 5 times!! complained every single time, they refused to give me another clean room (low seaon), and other people were checking in no problem...staff was polite but wouldnt do anything for us. Managament a bit of a joke.

Pool and Beach are beautiful
Resort was very clean

Room housekeeping worst ever...always something not done...dirty dishes left, no facecloths all week, no hand soap for 2 days (used shampoo), garbage left

waitress/waiters...excellent service...pool waitresses work their butts off!

Food...Great...smaller buffet but always found great food to eat and our little kids did as well. Al La Carte restaurants were fabulous with great service but expect to take about 1 1/2 hours for dinner...little slow for kids.

Overall....we had a great vacation nothing was bad enough to ruin the trip...but think theres better options out there for hotels in PV.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa104
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I'll keep it short. Horrible and expensive for the quality of service and food. We had the AI plan but ate off the resort most of the time. The pool and beach were nice if you could get a spot. The rooms were fairly basic and small. Rooms and resort were clean. I would not recommend this resort. By far, one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I have stayed at better places in PV for 1/3 of the price of this hotel.

Room Tip: Our garden view room faced towards a retaining wall, a propane tank and 1 palm tree
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tina S
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I wish I had read the reviews on this hotel before going. I just figured since it was a Hilton and rated a 5 star, it would be great. Wrong! We stayed over New Years with 3 other couple friends and our young children.

We checked in on Dec. 29/13 and only 1 of the 4 rooms was ready for check-in at 3:00 p.m. and although we had made a previous request for a crib, we were told that they had none available until Jan. 2/14. On Jan. 2nd two of us got cribs, the other did not.

The rooms are large and the beds are comfortable but that is the only positives for the rooms. We were constantly out of hot water and the drain in the shower was very slow. When towels were replaced, they would short us replacement towels. Our mini-bar was never restocked. We left a tip every day hoping to entice some good service, but alas, no improvement.

The pool and beach are nice. Service by the pool was ok. We were also left out on the Mohitos because of the lack of mint.

There is one buffet and there is supposed to be al le cartes but we only could get reservations at the French and the Mexican restaurant as the others were not open. We had reservations for 7:00 p.m. and did not get our food until 8:30 p.m. The kids did not last that long. The food was good. There are only 4 high chairs in the whole resort so its kind of a mad dash to find one. We were lucky to get a high chair 30% of the time. I don't know why but for some reason they never had spoons and seemed to be short of supplies. It was so weird.

We always bring lots of small bills when we go to Mexico to tip. We firmly believe in tipping, however, it didn't seem to help. Either the servers were unhappy because of management or they just didn't care. I am not sure what the issue was but it didn't improve our whole stay. It was so unlike Mexican hospitality to see such a lack of caring.

It was tough to exchange funds as they were usually out of pesos at the front desk.

We've stayed at the Melia, the Royal Decameron and a house in PV in the past. All were way better than the Hilton and we paid the most for the Hilton. Go figure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Posted by a 200 a night business & leisure traveler. Diamond member, no upgrade but was the least of this property's issues; Waited til 330pm to access room which then had no towels, glasses or toiletries in room. After FIVE requests (including a visit to the front desk) finally received two extra pillows. Day one all full service restaurants booked by 4pm for first two nights; Hotel management is clearly withholding non-buffet restaurant availability to push their guests to obviously less expensive buffet. After complaining, we were accommodated at Italian restaurant which was a mini buffet with NO Italian food on the buffet. When making dinner reservations for the next week, we waited one hour (with only two guests ahead of me) to meet with "concierge" on Sunday to get Monday dinner reservation. French restaurant took over two hours to receive meal and one course skipped entirely. No beach towels out til after 9am. No hot tub for public use. How does a resort not have a hot tub? Gym absolutely filthy and machines poorly maintained. No towels and garbage everywhere. And young children playing in gym despite visit by security. Very dangerous! Internet didn't work in room, had to stand in hallway to get any reception. New Year's Eve dinner was a mandatory charge; no other options or restaurants open. Absolutely unacceptable in an all-inclusive property. Food on buffet was the worst selection of food I have ever experienced at an all-inclusive resort. Staff at this property were extremely friendly but that lack of english speaking staff was very apparent; I firmly believe that this property is lacking in executive management. On a positive final note the O'West staff was very friendly and helpful as was the Spa. All this stated, I would not recommend this property to anyone. Posters of positive reviews of this resort are novice travelers who have not experienced a true 5 star property. 2 Stars overall at best. Food was 1 Star.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
11  Thank Douglas F
Reviewed January 8, 2014

As a frequent traveler (over 150 hotel nights/yr and an HHonor Diamond), I must report that Hilton PV absolutely ranks as the most disappointing hotel for me in a long time. I thought about giving it 3 stars as several staff was super friendly and worked hard. Management was so negligent it shocked and saddened me. I decided on 2 stars based on comparison to similar resorts in PV as well as my expectation from a luxurious Hilton resort (as opposed to some Holiday Inn Express).

*** The ya-gotta-be-kidding's
- Where are the Italian and Brazilian restaurants? Despite advertising 4 specialty restaurants, not all were open at the same time. During my 5-day stay (Christmas week) only the French and Mexican restaurants were open.
- Fully booked!! The restaurants were so difficult to book. You must book them at least 2-3 days in advance. Better book before you check in!
- Where's the rest of the buffet? The buffet was no good. I've been to airline lounges with better food. During breakfast the french toasts and pancakes were all soggy. During lunch and dinner there's usually just one seafood dish. Obviously they want you to eat healthy as there were multiple broccoli and steamed veggies and a variety of potato dishes: mashed, cubes, etc. Although you won't starve, you can forget gourmet food.
- You trying to kill me? One lunch at the buffet I asked for a tortilla and the cook picked one up with his tongs after he used them on raw meat. There was still pieces of raw meat dangling on the tongs!
- What wi-fi? Despite given a code to use wi-fi at room, there was no signal. I think that's why so many people hanged out at the lobby with their phones and iPads.
- Come back later when he/she's here? Concierge took lunch break at around 4-5pm with no backup. No foreign exchange until 1pm, when the accountant comes in.

*** The mysteries
- No Mojito! Walked up to the bar, ordered a Mojito and was told that they ran out of mint. Not temporarily but throughout the 5 days I stayed there! Heard from other guests that the mint shortage started before we checked in. A bartender said that he wasn't sure why the hotel has not ordered mint.
- Cans of beer. Hilton PV serves beer in cans -- it's pretty strange as I am sure cans are much more expensive than beer served in plastic glasses from kegs.
- I thought it's fully booked? The specialty restaurants open at 6pm but there were usually 2-3 tables before 7pm. I've seen many guests trying to make a last minute reservation but turned away even though the restaurant was only 10-20% full.

*** The mildly-annoying's
- Water overflow! First afternoon, water didn't drain at the sink. Had to call maintenance guy who spent some 30 min on dirty plumbing works to get it fixed.
- No water! First night during shower the water simply stopped. Called and was told that they were repairing heater. Water did resume after 5-10 mins.
- The buffet restaurant constantly ran out of coffee or soup spoon. Super annoying especially when the servers got busy.
- During breakfast there's no creamer. Sometimes the server would offer a glass of milk or creamer. It's hard to pour and usually ends up with a messy, sticky table.
- No benefit for Diamond member (well other than free Internet which only worked in public areas). I couldn't check in until 3pm and had to vacate the room at 1:30pm. There was no greeting letter, no fruit, no nothing.
- Sands everywhere! After checking in, I found that there was lots of sands on the floor, making my skin crawl when I put my hard-shell luggage on the floor.
- Clock in room was off by an hour

*** The bright-sides
- Most staff were friendly... when they weren't super busy. I'd like to recognize Rene from the French restaurant and Gabriel from the Mexican restaurant. They were wonderful!
- Most dishes were excellent at both the French and Mexican restaurants, especially the appetizers (that is, if you're lucky enough to get a reservation.)
- Gym was very nice and spacious. Although in the afternoon nobody seemed to remember replenishing fresh towels.

I think this hotel is simply mismanaged. It had become apparent to me that they were extremely short-staffed. For example: the restaurants were run by a skeleton crew and they couldn't take reservations even when over half of it was empty; each housekeeper had to take care of the entire floor (30 rooms or so... based on my own observation) so there were occasions when room wasn't cleaned until the evening. I am not sure what caused the staff shortage as other resorts seemed to be fully staffed. There were also cost saving opportunities without sacrificing quality. For example can vs keg beer. I for one would not mind getting beer out of keg.

Room Tip: Rooms directly above the restaurants don't smell very well...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family