“Don't go during off season”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #40 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Mount Vernon
“Don't go during off season”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My daughter and I had our first trip together since she got married. We left the husbands at home. Needless to say we were very disappointed. It does not say anywhere on the hotel website that during the off season half of the hotel is closed down. Only 2 restaurants open and the buffet was only open Saturday and Sunday all day. Even the rooftop pool was only open Saturday and Sunday. The workout room had no air conditioning. And unless you spoke fluent Spanish, you didn't get much help from the staff. The rooms were kind of run down and the shower had no water pressure whatsoever. However, I can say we got massages the last day we were there and the spa was fantastic!

Room Tip: We had room 737 and it had a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mechrmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for our mini-moon after our wedding for 5 nights. This hotel was the perfect choice for a relaxing vacation. And the all inclusive was perfect after an expensive wedding! Being fairly exhausted after our wedding it was great to just be able to sit by the pool and have drinks (and some snacks) served to you. The poolside waitresses, Nelly and Sarahi (sp?) were fantastic, keeping the drinks flowing and always with a smile on their faces!

Our room was great, on the 7th floor with a fantastic ocean view, the room itself fairly basic but clean and nice. the patio was great for watching the sunset while drinking the Pacifico's restocked daily in the mini-fridge.

I was lucky enough to get to go to the spa for a massage one day. It was a great relaxing way to start my day and the staff there also fantastic.

The food was fine, what I would expect from an all inclusive. Breakfast and lunch buffet were good, but got a little old by the last couple nights. Italian and Brazilian restaurants were ok. The Mexican restaurant, La Catrina, was our favorite. not your typical tacos and enchiladas, but more authentic fine Mexican dining! Very good!

Lastly, the front desk and bell staff were great, very friendly and helpful. Michelle gave us some excellent dinner recommendations! Specifically, some taco trucks that were delicious! Cheap cabs if you want to leave and go into town, as there is not much in walking distance of the hotel.

Overall we had a great and relaxing trip and would recommend it to anyone looking for that!

Room Tip: high floor, ocean view are great!
2 Thank Jessica S
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, I was not impressed with the property. We chose the Hilton trusting the Hilton Brand. When we arrived, I knew I had made a mistake. The GSR asked to see our credit card only to place a $900.00 US dollar hold for incidentals. I spoke with the manager and had the hold released. We paid for an Ocean View room but found our prior to going to the room that it was not ocean front. After speaking with the manager again, we received the upgrade. I am not impressed with the rooms, they could use a good cleaning, actually the entire place could use a cleaning. The food was ok; however, the service in the Mexican and french restaurants was amazing. We were unable to experience the other restaurants because they were closed. The Q lounge was closed after the first night. The crowd was slim so I guess the guest that decided to stay at the location had to compensate by not receiving the services offered. Be advised the location is not the best. I will not stay at the Hilton again. We did the Rhythm of the night tour and it was wonderful, the food was average buffet.We will probably travel to Puerto Vallarta again, but we will never stay at the Hilton.

3 Thank EllMccordsville
Rolando M, General Manager at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guest,

I appreciate your candor on your feedback of your recent stay with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your comments and are deeply apologize for not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

California City, California
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is made by the wonderful and accommodating staff, from the minute you walk into the hotel. Hilton got this right! The staff from the concierge to the bus person get a 5 star! The rooms are very modern and nice, however there was a strong musty odor coming from the room as soon as the door was opened. I am not sure if this is due to the humidity in PV. or if this is something Hilton needs to work harder at. I do not recall this as ever being a problem with other hotels I have visited where it has been humid. I was on the 7th floor with an awesome view of the Bay, The food was Ok, but could use improving. The French & Mexican were the best restaurants. Did not care for the Brazilian restaurant Fogo at all. Buffett great for breakfast. Drinks and snacks by the pool were very good and refreshing. Pool was nice and long walking beach area was good. Roof top pool was closed when we visited, but no real issue for us. Exercise room had nice equipment. There was no nightly entertainment at all when we were there. The rooms, grounds, pool and walkways were all very well kept. Security seems to do a good job in trying to keep the vendors from the beach off the hotel property, though the vendors were always polite when you said no. They do walk up and down the beaches which is common in PV. I would do something with the area overlooking the walkways to all the rooms. The area looks down onto a huge open area and would be better with some type of a tropical atrium or something, right now you just look down at a few tables and chairs. It needs a WOW factor. Overall a nice hotel, however this could be a fantastic property with a few changes. . This is probably a 3 1/2 star hotel do to the food and musty odor coming from the room. The Staff gets high marks! This hotel is about 6 blocks from nicer shopping mall. Enjoyed my visit

Room Tip: Rooms above the 5th floor would have a better ocean view. Get an ocean view if you can
1 Thank Bet2211
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton for our honeymoon for six nights during mid September. We are not needy people at all and do not complain much about anything. We arrived on a Monday and would of loved a drink right away but the lobby bar was closed, so we settled for the 2 beers we had in the mini-fridge. The couple of water bottles in the fridge didn't last long and I wish they had some more readily available for guests, especially since the lobby bar was closed during the day for half of our trip.

What we did love about staying here. - The room was spacious enough, loved the shower. - Pool service was good, even better after a small tip to the servers. - The mexican and french restaurants were great. - The pool was lovely and never crowded, since it was offseason. - The rooftop bar was a great place to be, always good service, sushi, so-so. - Enjoyed the coffee bar in the morning before breakfast. - Walking the beach was nice, just wish it would of connected us to more things. - Drinks were okay, never made them as strong as I would like even after asking and tipping, beer was best bet after a while.

Some things not so great - Stay AWAY from the wine. My wife was very disappointed on a couple selections she tried, couldn't finish. Champagne was better bet for her. - Like I said earlier, loved the mexican and french restaurants for dinner, everything else was hit or miss. My wife loved the cold foods available for breakfast and lunch. I unfortunately found myself eating the cold foods later in the weeks as I realized anything hot was a bit scary, or just tasted awful. Tried a burger for lunch and room service, awful. Fogo restaurant was just okay. Like earlier, would of loved some stiffer drinks. Please FILL the mini-fridge, rather than 2 beers, 2 waters, and 2 cokes and get them to be colder or bring already chilled beverages. I couldn't drink a beer at night that had just been replaced earlier in the day, had to wait til the next day.

Book the excursion Rhythms of the Night. Well worth it for the drinks and food. Food was almost better than the hotel. Scenes were wonderful and great way to spend the evening.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. It was a relaxing honeymoon, we enjoyed the service we received from everybody at the hotel. Will definitely recommend and consider a return. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt N
Canutillo, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Check in staff were not that helpful. They had us sitting around waiting for our room to be ready 40 minutes past the listed check-in time. Restaurant staff were superb especially Eduardo Toriello and Francisco Cruz at the French Restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Andres A
San Diego, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Family vacation and enjoyed 4 days at the Hilton. Attentive Staff and very comfortable beds, Large rooms, Nice pools and amenities. Difficult for children since pool is mostly for adults. Good quality meals and their restaurants are good quality also. Will Return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family