“Not Bad, But Expected Better!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #29 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Not Bad, But Expected Better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

When I saw that this was a brand new Hilton resort, in a great location, and for a reasonable price, I thought it was a must for me. I then looked at the amazing pictures online, and became certain it would be perfect for my style and taste.
SERVICE:
Upon checking in it was apparent that service was outstanding, and it was the whole time we were there, fast & friendly!
PROPERTY:
The building and property seemed it was built cheaply! Beautiful modern decor and feel, but cheap and flimsy! Riding the10 month old elevators felt like they were 10 years old. The walls are thin, and the rooms were noisy! They accommodated us immediately when I asked for a free upgrade to a waterfront, and upper floor room. Yes, what a beautiful view of the water as well as the mountains and greenery.
However, there was a constant buzzing and humming noise in the upper floor rooms. It was extreme outside the room, but loud enough to be annoying even inside the room.
The toilet area had one vent that allowed a bad odor from the adjacent rooms. Nigh-time and early mornings brought it the cigarette smoke smell into our room from the smokers next-door. It got very strong at times. Just noticed other guests complaining about the same thing here in their reviews. NOT HILTON QUALITY!
The pools and beach were just adequate for the guests. We were extremely pleased that this property had an adult pool & bar rooftop, with stunning views and ambiance
FOOD:
Good hot and cold breakfast & lunch, with great service.
Sushi & Sashimi at the rooftop pool was consistently very good, and I know my Sashimi very well!
Dinner however, needs lots of improvements. They claim they have several restaurants, but only one was available per night. We've tried out the French one. Again, great service, but mediocre food. The hot food was all lukewarm! Sadly enough!
To The Management:
I know you're trying hard to improve this knew location. I know it's going to be great, eventually.
However, there is something I do not tolerate, and no one else should. It's one staff member with a serious bad attitude. Your rooftop Sushi chef!!! The great ambiance at the pool with it's great music was interrupted by another sound of the Chef's personal radio!!! Yes, this man apparently prefers to listen to his personal loud music, while the main guest music is playing. His music was so loud at times, it overpowered the pool music and ruined the atmosphere. When I asked the waitress, she immediately went to the back and made him turn his music off. She claimed that he often does this. He then came out to ask me what room I was in??? This is when management needs to intervene and give him an attitude check!

Room Tip: Avoid main top floor rooms due to noise and odor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for a week and it was awesome. Everyone was helpful and extremely nice. Patricio, Josephina, and Felipe showed us excellent customer service and went above and beyond for us. Patricio served us drinks and made us feel very welcomed. Josephina went out of her way to get my husband a slice of cake for his birthday which made him feel special. Felipe made us feel awesome with his kind words and awesome drinks!! Overall the hotel is nice and we really did enjoy our stay. The food was good, the location was just right, and the hotel was very clean. Mr. Carmona also went out of his way to greet us and make sure our stay was to par.

We will definitely return and expect the same service if not better.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rolando M, Director General at Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear guest,

We appreciate very much your comments regarding your experience at the hotel. We are sharing your experience with the people you catch at their best.
We’ll keep on working in all the areas so when you come back to the resort you find the same or even a better service.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great small resort, family friendly, one of our best vacations.

Thank you Diana Salgado, Lulu, Carlos the Captain and all.

The Kids Club is like a small preschool—kids get excellent attention. The girls working there do amazing job—would love to have Lulu (Lourdes) as my children’s teacher. Different daily activities, once we get our kids there we forget about them. We even asked the staff to not speak English, so our kids can learn some Spanish. Very safe place.

Please DO NOT order food and eat while IN the swimming pool. Are people really that hungry or that lazy so they don’t get to their lounger and eat there? ANY FOOD left unattended WILL be stolen by the birds and part of it will end up in the pool.

Staff WILL do everything (not for a tip) to make you feel comfortable, very clean hotel, sleek, modern design, luxurious bedding, junior suite preferable—larger bathroom and more comfortable, better view. Excellent service, nice coctails, great food—the restaurants are MUST GO—if you don’t like a certain dish order something else (still don't understand what those who say the food is bad eat at home). No noisy night entertainment, pretty quiet after dark. Stayed there in May and the resort was not full, so everything was nice and easy. I do not know how it would be when packed.

Sometimes service may be slow, but just relax and enjoy your vacation (I will not die starving while waiting for my dinner in the restaurant and not get angry if my cocktail takes 15 min. to arrive at the swimming pool).

Nice beach, but can't really swim in the ocean--deep from the beginning and not crystal clear.
Smoking is allowed, but it didn’t bother us so much (yet better without it).

Taxi to the hotel—195 pesos, back to the airport—80 pesos. DO NOT stop for the Timeshare people and buy your fare at the booth before you exit the airport. DO NOT reserve a cab in advance trough any agency (unless you need a van or executive car)—they overcharge.

If you are extremely picky go stay somewhere else and leave us have a good time.

You may not like the smell in your room in the old, renovated part of the hotel, cheap plastic wall panels and laminated furniture (chipping and peeling already), some rust on cabinet handles and ceiling fan, room view from lower floors unless ocean or partly ocean, small details like tile grout, caulking, cracks in concrete around pool and garden, missing pebbles and small tiles from the pavement, crooked and bent night stand lights and shades, totally dysfunctional desk lights.

The breeze in the open lobby during the day may be pleasant for some but I found it impossible to stay there and enjoy the bar, TV, computers or just hang around. Evening is fine.
Did not like some of the Brazilian grill and the French lamb T-bone. Limited beer variety, but we were just fine with the Corona, also did not appreciate the wines.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Burns, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

From our arrival at the airport and pick up by Mr. Mauricio Sides our experience was exceptional. Check in at the Hilton was smooth and comfortable, the front desk staff (Deigo) and others were ready for my wife and me and the process went well and quickly... The bell staff moved us without delay to our room.

Mr. Fernando Zepeda had communicated with me prior to our arrival and had presented us with a surprise upgrade, which we very much appreciated.

We visited all of the restaurants on the property and were very pleased with the quality of the food and the service... Xavier in the morning at "SeaFire" was always attentive and helpful, we appreciated his service. Diana in the Guest Services office was very helpful arranging our return air reservations. If we had a favorite I would say the French Restaurant was our pick..

The hotel staff, was continually working to make our stay a wonderful experience and we appreciated that very much.

Beach vendors were not a bother and my wife purchased some very nice bargains.. Trips into town were fun and provided a great and affordable experience.

I will attempt to name the the staff, in no particular order, but want to recognize them for their outstanding service... Jose Long, Felipe, Edith (housekeeping), Diana, Xavier, Diego, Antonio, Aaron (outstanding bartender at O'West), Jose, Anabell (LaBonita) and of course, Mauricio and Fernando. I apologize if I have missed someone, everyone was exceptional. We had a wonderful time.

We hope that we are so fortunate to have the opportunity to return. This is truly a great destination and would encourage anyone interested in a great experience to visit the Hilton in Puerto Vallarta.

Bob & Carol - Burns, Oregon

Room Tip: Plan ahead and request/try for an ocean view. Select your lounge chair/s by placing a towel on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob S
Dear Bob & Carol,

It was a pleasure to welcome you at the resort. Reading your wonderful experience from the staff reinforce our commitment with our entire guests to provide an excellent service
Be sure that every allocate you catch at their best will be recognized, each one of them are part of this great team at Hilton Puerto Vallarta.

We’ll keep on working to keep that great service you find at the resort. We hope to have you soon again.

Taylor, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights from June 1 - 8, 2013. Checkin was a breeze, we were upgraded a Swim-up Jr. Suite, which was awesome. We spent the week at the pool and on the beach. Couldn't have asked for better weather, the entire week was just amazing.

The room was beautiful, the pull out sofa bed wasn't the most comfortable thing for our son to sleep on, but it was ok. Very large bathroom with dual sinks and walk in shower, I want to re-create this bathroom in my own house. The refrigerator in the room I thought wasn't working, but the door has a key latch on it that keeps it from closing, you have to slam the door and check that the light isn't shining through the seal. After I got the door to shut properly our drinks were cold. The swim-up pool was amazing, nice to be able to just step outside when you wake up and put your feet in the water.

The main pool area has lots of chairs and about 6 cabanas. Get out there right at 9am if you want to claim a cabana for the day. Pick up your green towels at the desk by the cabanas poolside. Plenty of waiters/waitresses all day long walking around taking drink and food orders. Erica was our favorite - keep your eye open for her!!
Eduardo the FUN coordinator is an awesome guy, if you have time, spend a few hours playing beach volleyball and do some water aerobics with him! Ask him to tell you about the lead actor from Megamind... :)

The beach was beautiful, my wife and I walked about 2 miles south along the beach one day. The beach in front of the Hilton was the best portion of the whole 2 mile stretch! No garbage in the water, not many rocks in the sand to hurt your feet... We had a storm overnight and the waves the next day were incredible.

We didn't want to check out on our last day, but unfortunately we had to leave... We will be back!

Room Tip: The swim up Jr suite is just awesome, no regrets!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Hilton PVR resort which I had booked using my Hilton Honors points. It was a brand new resort with a nice looking contemporary lobby. We were traveling as a family with a 3-year old girl. The pool and beach was great for the kid. The food was god but not great. Service was excellent with very responsive and friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear HHonors guest,

Thank you for choosing the resort for your family vacations and using those points you have work hard to get. As you say we have few months open but our employees are enjoy what they are doing and our guest are having great experiences.

I’m sure the food and beverage team will work harder to improve the quality and flavor so next time you enjoy it more.

Until next time!!

Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I went to Puerto Vallarta to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. From May 25th to June 2, 2013. We chose the Hilton because it was an all inclusive and had many great reviews on trip advisor. I had read that many who reviewed this resort gave the staff the credit for making this hotel as good as it is, now I understand! They either gave these employees the best customer service training available anywhere or have brainwashed them to be friendly and smile all the time! Security has a gem in Elio Flores, friendly, funny, helpful and informative. He made us feel like long lost friends the very first time we met him. His eye in the sky, Lorena does a great job watching all the goings on all day through the cameras and actually caught my husband and I making a wrong turn or two and sent people to help us find our way. The night guard, Gregorio was so professional and yet very personable as well. I want to mention Adrian and Allan as well, who although their title is security, they would do anything for you. Our pre-arrival contact was Diana Ontiveros and she couldn't have been more helpful and even sweeter in person. I had asked for an upgrade if possible to an ocean view room from the garden view since it was our 25th anniversary, she got us a room with a panoramic view the was ocean front and beautiful! Our first bellhop, Carlos asked everyday how we were doing and did they do anything special for our anniversary. Mauricio was the first face we met and tried to put us at ease while we waited for our room to be ready...he was very nice to keep our luggage under his watchful eye so we could run off to the lobby bar and start enjoying our vacation. Front desk attendants, Fatima, Carla and Alejandro all we there to offer anything we needed. Beach service waiters, Jaciel and Erika were amazing!!! We never had to look for them, they were always right there asking if we needed a drink or food, how nice that was to be so well cared for by those two. We also had Rafael one day who is also a restaurant waiter and his humor is tough to beat. I am not sure why these people don't sweat but we actually saw them running from the beach to the pool deck to get everyone waited on as fast as possible. And always we a smile!!! Although I know more than one person takes care of the pool cleanliness, the hardest worker by far was Ebeh. He pressure washed the deck, the chairs, the umbrellas from early in the morning till late afternoon and then went over to do the towel service too! Activities were led by Eduardo and Paola. Both are perfect for their jobs, just the right amount of humor and sarcasm that make every interaction with them fun. Our maids did a great job to keep everything clean but we did have to call for towels and washcloths to be brought in fairly regularly. I am not sure if this is a laundry issue or what the problem is with that. Had a few issues with refridgerator stocking also, again , not sure where that goes wrong. First night called for late room service that never arrived but just went to bed and hoped for better service the next day and it was better for the remainder of our stay. The bar area was staffed by very patient and interactive Patricio, Aaron and Oscar. All were awesome and made our drinks with whichever type of alcohol we requested. They did not charge us anything for top shelf alcohol and that made us fell appreciated. These guys are busy all day and night long and deserve your tips! Especially when you walk up and make 11 drinks orders and special requests. We saw alot of young and old guests who seem to forget that tips although are never required, should be given for special requests or huge orders, and in our case just to show our appreciation of the work they do. This goes for all of the waitstaff...our restaurant waiters were so attentive! They carried our plates and drinks from the buffet areas, got us special expresso orders and absolutely anything we requested and even brought us cake for our anniversary. If you are lucky enough to have Rafael, Ricardo, Francisco, Luis or Jair just ask and you will receive!! Please remember to tip these wonderful people. It does not take much to show your appreciation for all they do, with the exchange rate in our favor, one dollar can go a long way for them in Mexico. The only real weak spot seems to be the food. I actually liked some of the food at the Seafire Buffet more than the specialty restaurants. It wasn't terrible but it could use a little work on the menu items. Breakfast was very good. Fresh fruit, custom made omlettes were available daily. They do seem to have some sporadic times that the Seafire closes for dinner and that was not good if you did not make reservations at the specialty restaurants, as there was no advance warning! Yes, reservations are required for all restaurants except Seafire and it does not appear that they serve as late as they state they do on the paper you receive when you check in. So expect to eat room service if you forget to make reservations and the Seafire is mysteriously closed. Getting out and about is easy there. You can take the city bus very safely or a taxi that the guys at the desk will get for you in about 1 minute if you request one. We went down to La Zona Romantica to visit friends and had no trouble getting there and back very late at night. There is plenty to do right there at the Hilton. Horseback riding on the beach, parasailing, jet ski, kayak, long boards, shopping without leaving your beachchair (if you like) the vendors roam the beaches and if you like to barter this is the place to do it! If you do not want to be bothered just let the security take care of them for you.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor with two balconies, room 540. It was very spacious and beautiful and f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple