“Clean, good food, wonderful staff”

Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Ranked #34 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Norton Shores, Michigan
“Clean, good food, wonderful staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was not my favorite place or spot in PV. Although the staff was nice, the room clean, and the food pretty good, the beach was hard to walk, and it was pretty quiet at night. (There was no entertainment at night.) I would definitely get an ocean view and no lower than 4th floor. I would have liked wireless for no charge in my room. Although, not much of a TV watcher, very few channels were in English. The weight room was very nice. Do get reservations for dinner early in the day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Polish first
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just returned from 4 days at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta. Overall, it's a very nice hotel. Beautiful pools, very clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed with our 2 1/2 year old son in a room in the "old" building which had a king size bed and plenty of space for us. The room had a flat screen TV, mini bar (included in all-inclusive), and Peter Thomas Roth amenities. Some other reviewers complained about the location, but Puerto Vallarta is not that big of a town, and we found that the Malecon and other attractions were just a 60-80 peso taxi ride away.

The property:
-Beautiful open-air lobby, with a bar situated in it, a spa, a rooftop infinity pool (adults only), two large pools (pretty shallow and suitable for kids), a children's pool (very shallow and perfect for our toddler)
-Beachfront. You can eat breakfast and all meals at Seafire at a beachfront table if you'd like
-Gym with all Precor equipment. The equipment was new and very nice. Touch screen elliptical machines with ipod stations, bike machines, treadmills, and variety of weight machines and free weights, plus a yogo room. Even antibacterial wipes!
-Children's programs for kids 5-12, and you can leave you children with them and they will supervise them with a variety of beach, pool, art and other recreation activities!
-Some rooms in the deluxe building have balcony jacuzzis, or splash pools. They will run you $80-$150 additional
-No hot tub on property, except for private jacuzzis in some rooms. However, one of the pools is heated more than the other (though both are heated), and the water temperature was VERY comfortable all day.
-They take your orders for food and drinks poolside all day. Someone walks around and takes orders constantly.
-The property is right on the beach. Get there early to get a beachfront cabana or deck chair.

Meals:
-Breakfast buffet at Seafire is definitely the best meal of the day. They have omelettes and a variety of mexican and american dishes. Delicious every time. Unlike other reviewers, we never experienced a delay at the omelette station, though the hotel was not at full capacity. We usually ate dinner at one of the other property restaurants. One night, we decided to eat at Le Delice and then go to Seafire for some extra dessert (c'mon, calories don't count on vacation). Seafire was having a asian-theme night, and let's just say we were so glad we did not have dinner there. So, we had limited experience with dinner, but breakfast and lunch were very good in my opinion.
-While we were there, the three other dinner-only restaurants were not all open every day. you need to check with the concierge about which ones will be open on which night. We ate at Le Delice french restaurant twice, and once at Fogo Brazilian restaurant. Le Delice was good, as long as you understand that this is Mexico and not France, though the portions were small. Fogo was BY FAR the best, but open only two nights a week. It's a brazilian style steakhouse right on the beach, lit by tiki torches at night. It can get breezy, so bring a wrap. It's definitely worth a visit if you can catch it when they're open. Everything is so good there. They had chorizo, pork, filet mignon, shrimp, rib eye....oh my goodness. One warning: resort wear is appropriate for all the dinner-only restaurants (La Catrina, Le Delice, and Fogo), no shorts, swim trunks, etc.
-Room service is included in the all-inclusive price, but we found that the kitchen staff are often unaware of what's on the menu. They don't know what comes with what you need to explain. E.g., kids quesadilla should come with fries but it came with salsa instead. Also, they would often forget items, promise to bring them right away, but then necessitate another call to remind them to bring it.
-At Seafire, you MUST have their guacamole daily. And their "green juice".

Internet:
-free wireless internet in the lobby only, and reaches to the pools, and they also have three computers there for your use.
-in room wireless internet is 75 pesos for 12 hours

Service:
-Everyone is super-nice, but I think that they need some consistency. The kitchen staff who take your order for room service seem unfamiliar with the menu. e.g. we ordered a Hilton salad, which is the only green salad on the menu and should have chicken, but they brought a random other salad. Also, one day there were no more pool towels and it took forever until I found someone who could replace it (thanks Eduardo!!)
-David at the front desk and ALL the bell staff were AMAZING
-Concierge staff is VERY helpful, don't be afraid to ask anything
-There is a Soriana supermarket a 5 minute walk away, for all your needs. There's even a nice taco cart there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank georgehu
Monroe, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our rooms, the service, the cleanliness of the hotel could not have been better. We had a great stay because we were interested in reading and lounging. There was not much else to do there. The beach, though beautiful, was difficult to walk (not flat and pebbly). There were very few guests there (20% occupancy) so other guests were friendly. I assumed when we booked, we could walk to nearby shopping-not so. On the other hand, staff was continually painting and cleaning. Pool was heated and the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank plabeau
Brentwood, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hilton has a lot of work to do if they want to get away with charging the prices we paid to stay there over peak travel times. The grounds and overall contemporary style of the hotel are beautiful and the pool was nice as well, but that's pretty much where it ends.

Rooms:
We originally booked a deluxe ocean view room which was not available when we checked in. We were given a partial ocean view room until a full ocean view room was available two days later. The rooms were fine but the bathrooms (where the toilets are) are painfully small. They are literally smaller than the bathrooms on an airplane. Also, the doors don't go floor-to-ceiling so you'd better be very comfortable with the person you are staying with. The decor is nice and we thought the beds were pretty comfortable. One thing that bothered us was that the walls are paper thin. If you are a light sleeper, you should definitely bring ear plugs. We had serious issue that came up (an isolated incident and I won't go into detail about it) and we were given an upgrade to an ocean front jr. suite. Staying in this room was like being at a different property. Better amenities, jacuzzi on the balcony, huge bathroom, robes, sitting area, etc. A must if you decide to stay here. If your budget doesn't allow for the upgrade, I wouldn't even consider staying here.

Service:
Overall, this is a major area the hotel needs to improve on. We did encounter some bartenders who were great, and we also thought the servers at the pool worked really hard. The restaurants were a completely different story. Every meal we had was like the never ending meal. There were two different times that we ordered room service and it never came. At breakfast every morning, we literally waited in line for 15 minutes for an omelet. There were multiple times at breakfast when we were totally neglected by the servers and had to get up to find our own coffee, get silverware, etc. We had dinner at Fogo one night and we waited 15 minutes in between the different cuts of meat to make its way to our table.

Food:
We thought the food was pretty mediocre. There are three a la carte restaurants that you need to make reservations for and the buffet. There were multiple items on the menu at each restaurant that they were "out of" for the whole time we were there. We ate at the French place the most and it was decent. The Brazilian place was AWUFL. Over cooked, poor quality meat and poor service. The setting is beautiful but that can only get you so far. The wine at this hotel is borderline offensive. It is so awful I cannot believe they service it to their guests and there is no alternative to the garbage house wine they serve. I get that people don't go to mexico to drink wine, but I have a hard time drinking margaritas and beer with French food every night. There is also an "upscale" Mexican place also that was just ok. For breakfast, the omelets were good (after you spend the time waiting for it) but the buffet was largely picked over every time we went for breakfast. Lunch needs some major improvements. I literally ate chips and guacamole for lunch every day because their options were just not appealing. They should really consider incorporating a taco bar, or something of that nature.

Pool:
The pool is in a beautiful setting but its a little disappointing there was no swim up bar. One thing that was incredibly annoying was that they have people working around the pool who literally will take your belongings off your saved chair if you leave your chair unattended for more than 30 minutes. I've done a fair amount of vacationing and I have never seen anything like this. We walked to our chairs after breakfast the first morning we were there and our stuff had just vanished. The best part was that they gave our chairs to people who bought a day pass to use the pool for the day. Seriously?! I'm paying thousands to stay there for a week and you just gave my chair to someone who is not even staying at the hotel!? The rest of our trip we had to ask other hotel guests to watch our stuff if we wanted to take a walk on the beach, grab lunch, etc. Another thing we weren't fond of (and this is not the hotel's fault) was that there were TONS of kids at the resort when we were there. I felt like I was at a summer camp while we were at the pool and it got very old, very fast. They do have an adults only area on the roof of the new building, but its pretty small and the pool up there is warm and not as refreshing as the main pool.

Overall:
I could go on and on about all the negatives we encountered about our stay but I think the info above should be good enough to give you an idea of what we experienced. This hotel is in a beautiful setting but there were so many problems that it really hindered our ability to relax and have a carefree vacation. I think this hotel has a lot of work to do and it all starts with management. It's completely unacceptable to order room service and never have it come. The food and service is far too inconsistent and the pool chair saving policy should be eliminated immediately. The spa is so ridiculously expensive that it was insulting. Their treatments were literally more expensive than the spa at the Grand Wailea in Maui! This place has some potential but there are definitely some major changes that need to take place, and it all comes from the top. Given the above, I will not return to this hotel and I definitely would not recommend it to a friend. Hope this helps in your decision making process!

Room Tip: I wouldn't even consider going if you dont get a jr suite. I stayed in rooms in both the new bu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ahoww
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Wow! This resort is fabulous! I simply cannot say enough good things about it! My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Puerto Vallarta in mid October 2012 for one week. We were in town for a wedding and wanted to stay at an all-inclusive resort. Even though the Hilton was new we gave it a try and it turned out to be the best decision that we could have made! The hotel itself is gorgeous! Everything is brand new and very clean and well maintained with lush landscaping mimicking the tropical jungles visible from most of the rooms. The lobby and walkways are breezy and cool. The swimming pools are pristine and exquisite. There are two pools, one huge, well planned out pool at beach level and another quaint and private pool with breathtaking views up at the sky bar lounge. Our room was upgraded graciously by the wonderful front desk staff and our fabulous visit ambassador due to some travel difficulties. We ended up with a ground floor junior suite with a semi private swimming pool. The room was beyond amazing! We were so happy with absolutely everything, not a single complaint. The staff was amazing! There was plenty of staff always ready to help you with anything that you needed. Our mini bar was stocked daily and our drink orders taken constantly. The room service was wonderful, great food and a flexible chef willing to make things how we wanted them. The main restaurant was a buffet style restaurant offering breakfast and lunch. It was open all day every day. The food varied but consisted of staples you would expect (e. g. fruit, salad, rolls, sandwiches, pizza & fries for the kids). It was well prepared, clever, and tasty. We especially loved some of the fresh fish options and the ceviche. The dinner restaurants that were open while we were there were a Mexican restaurant and a French restaurant. They were open on opposite days and never both at once. My only disappointment was that we only got to eat at the French restaurant one time (due to other dinner commitments that we had and the alternating restaurant schedule). The restaurants were both fabulous, offering interesting takes on classic food, such as a deconstructed salad Nicoise. Overall we did not expect such complex, creative and delicious food and were very pleasantly surprised. I have heard some bad things about other all inclusive resort’s food so we were not expecting much more than a decent breakfast and lunch with some fresh fruit, but the food at the Hilton was exquisite. Overall our experience was beyond amazing! We just could not believe that everything was all inclusive. If we go back to Puerto Vallarta again we will definitely be staying at the Hilton! Don't bother renting a car, you will never want to leave the resort!

Room Tip: High rise rooms are nice, I would choose an ocean view room at least. There are so many junior suit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

My fiance and I visited this hotel Dec 2012 and had a great time. The resort is very clean and has a new feel. We had an ocean view room with a King bed. The room was large and had 2 sliding glass doors with balconies. Not the fanciest room I've stayed in, but more than met our expectations.

So how was the all-inclusive? It was great. The food was the best I've had at an all-inclusive. They had French, Mexican and a Brazilian restaurant along with the regular dining area. The Brazilian was our favorite for sure. They have a buffet of sides and come to your table with every meat you can imagine. The Mexican and French were very good too. I think the Mexican was our second favorite. Breakfast is served in the main dining area and had an extensive selection of traditional breakfast foods along with Mexican dishes, which I really enjoyed. The booze... Well let me tell you about the booze. Top shelf stuff! They have KettleOne, Don Julia Tequila, Havana Club Rum, Cans of Corona/Pacifico & Corona/Pacifico Light. I really liked the idea of canned beer, which is not something I've seen anywhere else.

If your planning to sit by the pool and relax for the day the waitstaff comes by very often and replenishes your drink. They will bring you bottled water if you like as well. I was really impressed by the service. The pool itself was really cold though!

The pool area has a ton of lounges as well as some really nice bungalows with views of both the pool and ocean. If you can snag one for the day you'll have a really comfortable hangout with a great view.

Overall the hotel really exceeded our expectations. Our trip was a last minute decision and pretty short with only 4 nights. The hotel is very close to the airport and only about 10 mins away. We rented a car since we had planned a day trip to Sayulita, but otherwise a car isn't really necessary. I would really recommend a visit to Sayulita though. We had a really fun day there surfing and stand-up paddle boarding. The drive was about 45mins and not too difficult.

Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hilton PV towards the end of an extended trip to Vallarta. We have stayed at a large number of hotels in the area, and Hilton was certainly towards the top. Our room was fantastic, which was an upgraded from what we booked (Due to being a Hilton Diamond member). Service around the main pool was on the slow side, which was alarming due to the few number of people there. I would worry about the delivery speed when the hotel is at capacity. The rooftop pool is a much needed break from all of the kids down at the main pool area. We found it very odd that there was not a hot tub on the entire property, expect the private ones on the balconies. My wife had been looking forward to enjoying the Spa, but found the prices to be very off-putting (especially by Mexico standards). The prices were double what we would expect at a Hilton spa in the USA.

As far as the food goes, I would say it was good. Not great, but above average. The deal breaker with the restaurants is the lack of any decent wine. I'm not expecting amazing wine, but something drinkable would be nice. My wife and I would have gladly paid a premium/surcharge on something other than the house wine, especially at the French restaurant.

We found the majority of the staff to be helpful and attentive, special thanks go to the reception staff. Often times at larger resorts in PV, checking in can be a painful chore. The Hilton was efficient, attentive, and made us feel like important guests.

All in all, I'm not sure we would stay again. The rates are very similar to other high end hotels in the area that are more polished. The lack of a hot tub, respectable wine, property-wide wifi, and expensive spa would like drive us to a competitor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple