“Lovely Hacienda-styled B&B”
Review of Villa David

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villa David
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I just returned from an all-too-brief five-day stay at the lovely Villa David. I intend to return. They only offer 9 rooms and so there is an intimacy and charm, which is lacking from the bif tourist hotels or larger guest houses. It is like staying in the private home of a friend who has money and good taste. The rooms at the Hacienda-styled Villa David are on either side of the open courtyard and pool.

The rooms and common areas are beautifully decorated, and kept immaculately clean. The lush tropical landscaped grounds around the (slightly) heated pool and the patios are gorgeous and well maintained. I enjoyed spectacular sunsets while soaking in the large hot tub on the top most patio overlooking the town of Puerto Vallarta with a beautiful view down to the sea. At night candles are lit for atmosphere in addition to the soft nighttime lighting. At times there was background music in the open areas from the sound system.

My room # 9 on the lower floor was large with a comfortable bed and mattress and lots of pillows, a fridge, TV with cable and the essential CNN and DVR player. The bathroom was large with a shower. They have large fluffy towels replenished each day. The room was thoroughly cleaned and the bed made each day by the friendly staff.

The common room on the second floor has a computer for use by the guests and has a large library of used beach read books and DVDs for you to borrow and comfortable couches to sit and visit with the other guests or to read.. Bill and Alberto offer advice on restaurants and tours and can tell you what is hot and what is not. The therapeutic massage offered by Alberto was just what I needed for my sore muscles after a few days of walking around the hilly old town. Taxis to and from the old historic center of town or the beach are cheap (about $5.00) and respond quickly or you can trudge down the hill to go into town. There is some traffic noise on the lower floor rooms, but the villa is located in the city and with the rooftop view it is worth the trade-off. Earplugs took care of that for me.

Bill and Alberto cook up a huge breakfast each day with the menu varying with eggs, different sausages or bacon, fruit, bread and pastries (raspberry pancakes one day, French Toast the next) served in the open air dining room with nice cloth napkins and table settings with great service. I have vacationed all over the world and Villa David is one of the best run B&B’s I have enjoyed. It is a keeper.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank treboratl

Reviewed February 19, 2010

We have just returned from a perfect 7 week stay at Villa David. Just when we thought it was the best. It has gotten even better.. Each year Bill and David make an improvement. This year each room received a new refrigerator and safe. Of course, there is the beautiful court yard, pool and hot tub to be enjoyed and a couple of decks to relax on. Villa David also offers complimentary Wi / Fi service and satallite phone to the States and Canada. The rooms are bright, tasteful and very clean. Each morning there is a complimentary full breakfast that is a banquet. It's a great place to meet new friends and catch up with old ones. The staff is efficient, friendly an polite. Adalberto who is the house manager is also the in house masseur. I have massages on a regular basis and Adlaberto is by far the best. Bill and David pay very close attention to detail and making their guests happy. They are doing it right because they have a large repeat clientele of really nice guys. We will return for 2 months later in the year. Villa David has become our home away from home. We cannot say enough nice things about Villa David and the owners. Jim and Don

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoBoys2
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Just got back from Villa David and had a fantastic time -- this is coming from someone who is admittedly picky and highly critical when it comes to hotels. A fellow guest mentioned that he returns to Puerto Vallarta not so much for the city itself, but for Villa David! I find myself inclined to agree.

The courtyard is absolutely charming; the photos on the website don't do it justice. And there are plenty of other shady, breezy spots throughout the property that allow you to enjoy the outdoors without getting a sunburn.

Hospitality was also wonderful. What I found unique is that the guests and hosts create a small community, which made the place feel more intimate than even your typical B&B. My partner and I didn't partake in all the group activities, but it seemed like people genuinely enjoyed spending time together.

I was also impressed by the cleanliness. I've lived in tropical climates before, and I'll say that it's no small achievement to keep a room as spotless as Villa David.

The only downside was the bathrooms, which as another person pointed out, do not have doors. Maybe they at least could put up some beads? But nobody else seem particularly bothered by it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I must say that our stay at Villa David was again the best. We stayed in a new room this time on the second floor and it was great. Our neighbor Jon and Don took us out to some great restraunts that they had visited during the month that they were there. We have made so many great friends there and always are talking our friends from Washington state to come with us and explore this great city. Bill Makes you feel welcome and relaxed.
We have stayed all over the world and each accomodation has its own quirks. Thats why it is called vacation and not work. You go with the flow and laugh at all the little things along the way.
We are preparing for our next trip there on Jan 27th and Yes we are bringing along 2 more men to show this great B&B and all that PV has to offer.
O and did I mention Adelberto. He is the best Masseuse that you could ever ask for. I look forward to it each and every year that we go. this will be our fourth and deff not our last. Thank you Bill for everything and dont let the spoil sports get you down.....
Aaron/Jess

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

This was our fourth trip and we are going back again next year. Bill and his staff are great. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2009

As guests who have been staying at Villa David for a number of years, I can personally recommend this beautiful and romantic hide away in the scenic hills of Puerto Vallarta. Owners Bill and David are just wonderful and make us feel at home each year. The large variety of breakfast foods and great company is a perfect way to start the day in Vallarta.

Both my life partner and I have very hectic jobs in New York City. Going back to Villa David each year is a real treat for us. Villa David is an A+ in our book.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DougRobNYC
Reviewed July 29, 2009

After several previous visits to Puerto Vallarta, I decided to stay someplace different. I would like very much to say how extremely pleased I was that I discovered this incredible gem in the hills overlooking such a delightful Mexican town.

My 8-night stay at Villa David was during the "low-season," but I still enjoyed every minute of my visit. The weather was hot and humid. There was also plenty of rain in the late afternoons and evenings. I only say this because the management warned me of this when I made my initial reservation. I was very impressed with their honesty. Nevertheless, I went ahead with my plans and never did regret my decision.

Upon arrival, I immediately noticed a very simple, non-descript exterior with a plain, gated entry-way. What a complete change of scenery once Bill (manager) opened the door and greeted me in a warm, genuine way.

The grounds are lush, plush, very tropical, and immaculately clean. I have never seen such a beautiful swimming pool. The environment is so inspiring that you're often hesitant to leave the complex for a walk into town or to the beach. There is a 24-hour guest computer as well as a telephone to make free phone calls to the USA. Trust me when I say you're in for a true treat with the daily breakfast. The eggs, breakfast meats, pasteries, juices, waffles, french toast, as well as coffee and tea make for a wonderful beginning of the day.

The rooms are clean and very comfortable. Many of them have incredible views of the town, cathedral and Bay of Banderas. The housekeeping staff is prompt, friendly, helpful and a true pleasure to talk to at breakfast. You must make an effort to climb the spiral staircase to the rooftop sundeck for an amazing vista of the entire area. The circular climb can seem a bit daunting the first time, but you won't regret it once you reach the top.

As for the resort's location, I will not deny it's several blocks up a somewhat steep incline. But there are steps the entire way, and after the first few treks up the hill, I found the climb to be quite easy if I took it slowly. Of course, there's always an inexpensive taxi you can also use.

Villa David is (without a doubt) a magnificent place, and I highly recommend it. You will NOT be disappointed. Just read many of the other reviews, and you'll see so many other men are in agreement. You are most welcome to contact me through Trip Adviser if you have any additional questions. I shall get back to you promptly.

In closing, I thank Bill and his fine staff of young men for making this traveler feel so welcomed and appreciated. You'll be seeing me arriving at Calle Galeana #348 again very soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo