“Charming B&B in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa David

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villa David
Philadelphia
“Charming B&B in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

My first visit to PV, and had a wonderful time. Many times into Mx, but first to PV. Stayed in one of the best B&B's ever and I am well traveled.The rooms had everything, including safes, ceiling fans, A/C sm.refrig, great rain shower heads and more. But best of all were the many areas to relax over the three story facility in plush chairs and couches. Big flat screen Tv's in public areas as well as in the rooms. One of the best home made breakfast offerings I have ever enjoyed, served outdoors as you can chat with other guests as you wish. A big refrigerator full of cold beverages including local beer and on an honor system to pay low prices upon check out. They have a WiFi plus a high speed computer, just for guests, so leave yours at home. They even have a free phone for calling anywhere in the USA or Mexico. How about that! They do have a cat and two small dogs that are very friendly if you wish to interact with them. The neighborhood is QUIET and local bodigas are just steps away. The main ocean walkway is five minutes away and restaurants are everywhere you turn. Prices in high season were low and included everything! I shall return and send my friends as well. Mel

Room Tip: Higher the better, but all the rooms were well done.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MelPhiladelphia

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I stay here every year. It is very comfortable and relaxing and beautiful. The breakfasts are huge and the company soon become friends. The moonlight on the ocean the other night was amazing. The staff is wonderful and Bill tells the funniest stories. You just have to stay here!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank printsNewYork
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I cannot praise Villa David highly enough. The place combines tasteful serenity with traditional Mexican design. The pool areas is beautiful. Everything is incredibly well maintained. The rooms are stylish and spacious and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts are delicious. And Bill and David are the ultimate hosts. On this trip, they invited all guests to their apartment for drinks and appetisers before taking us out to dinner and to some bars. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt B
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

This is a clothing-optional men-only gay bed and breakfast in the Centro area. It is about a ten to fifteen minute walk down cobble stoned streets to get to the touristic areas of the Zona Romantica. This was an issue for some people we met, who wanted to be closer to the action. For my buddy and I, this was perfect.

The breakfasts were large, and very American. That was the only downside - I wanted my chilaquiles in the morning! But otherwise, this is the place I would choose to stay in when I return to Vallarta, without question.

There were fewer restaurants in this area, but they were of consistently higher quality than the Zona Romantica.

The complaints here are a bit odd. Yes, people hang out on the street at night. But this is actually a [i]quiet[/i] neighborhood for Mexico. Don't come to this country if you don't like noise!!! The dogs were hella cute.

We were there at the beginning of high season, and there were only a few couples here. It was very quiet and relaxing. I imagine it would be much more lively with a full house.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michael C
Oklahoma city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

The villa is beautiful once you enter but the street noise is unbearable. Situated on the mountain up from town in a neiborhood that has lots of inconsiderate neighbors, who party in the streets at all hours of night, and the owners dogs who wake you promptly at 8:00 am. If you are looking for proximity to the gay beach or bars look else where the hike is more than 20 minutes down stairs and cobble roads, the hike home is 30 minutes plus. Nice work-out for your calfs. The owner Bill is accommodating and helpful, however the staff member who offers massage, Aldobrto, behaved inappropriate with my husband, even when it was forbidden. The rest of the staff was truly professional. Unfortunately we can not return do to the behavior of one staff person. :(

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tim F
JoePV, Owner at Villa David, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Of course everyone has a noise level they can tolerate. This guest did mention the noise,the walk to the beach, etc etc. We are in a neighborhood and we are up on the hill where the views are. We don't try to hide that fact anywhere. As to a 30 minute walk, it's all in how you walk I guess. Once the dog barking was mentioned, they were put in the office in the mornings until much later. I believe I upgraded them-for free- to the largest suite. This does have windows that overlook the courtyard and the dogs will bark at times. I always advise closing the windows when going to bed here. The cool breezes are nice, but we are very close to the town center. I guess they didn't heed this advice. One of them also put the vase of flowers that was in the room out in the hall because they didn't like them.

Here I must say this, Mexico is a noisy country If you want total quiet and traquility, I don't know if this is where you want to visit. If you are out of town, sure. But then it's much longer to the beach. It's like any resort city, there is a level of noise because people are partying. I've stayed at resorts here in PV and been awakened at 8am by aerobics in the pool, so what can I say? Don't sweat the small stuff I guess.

What I view as inappropriate and uncalled for is the remark about our massage person. He has been with us for nearly 13 years. Never in the all this time have I ever gotten any feedback like this. Most people comment on how professional he is in a town where most of the massage people are not. Most don't even go to school-he did.

The guest brought this advance charge to my attention when they were leaving. Then by email. I had already spoken with Adalberto and gotten his side of the story by the time I got the email . His was a bit more believeable. They both made advances to him, one was put off a bit sooner than the other, Hence the review. I think if it would have been reversed, there would have been no negative review. Given Adalberto's history with me and the level of trust we have, I chose to believe him even though the person was demanding I fire him. I will not fire anyone without giving them a chance to defend themselves even if I have a rule against this sort of thing. Unfortunately I have to judge sometimes. Given the whole tone of their vacation, I chose not to let him go.

I must say that to put something on a page like this is in the worst possible taste. I hated responding to it . I cannot imagine putting my relationship problems out there for everyone to see.
Wilton Manors, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Villa David ten years ago. I don't understand the negative reviews. We met the most wonderful staff imaginable and it was definitely one of our top 2 vacation spots (which is to say lots since we travel at least 12 times a year). The friendships made here are ones we will cherish for a lifetime. The breakfasts are FANTASTIC. Mike and Jim from MN remained in touch until a year ago. When we were in MN we made certain to see them. The only reason we stopped communicating was that our address book was eliminated so lost their address when we changed email addresses. Bill and David were the BEST hosts possible. The nights we spent driving around PV in Bill's Cadillac were truly moments to remember. I will not be able to return since I had surgery which left me unable to walk and I would not be able to enjoy any of the wonderful sights. Bill and David, thanks for a wonderful experience that we will never forget. Remember Sveeties we think you are the best.

Room Tip: We are prejudiced but the SVEETIE room is our favorite as it was named for us following this wonderf...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John G
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We wanted to do something special for our 25th anniversary. Originally, we wanted to do a cruise, but our schedules were too tight. We're a little tired of the unwelcoming attitudes in the Caribbean.

So the husband surprised me by finding this amazing jewel and planning a surprise trip to Puerto Vallarta - a first trip for both of us. I was hesitant because we'd made a stop in Mexico on a cruise at Cozumel, and it wasn't a great experience. Would the husband come to love Mexico as I do?

From the outset, we had wonderful communication with Bill, the owner. He set a fabulous tone and gave Dean great suggestions on how to navigate our way around. On arriving at Villa David, we were greeted by Adelberto, who gave us a full tour of a gleaming, spotless and surprisingly up to date complex. We're talking crystal chandeliers, not the typical hotel plastic stuff. There's a tremendous amount of pride in the Villa.

Dean surprised me with a stunning bouquet of flowers in our room, and it says quite a bit about the Villa David that each day, as some of the flowers died that the flowers were rearranged, the dead ones removed and the bouquet's beauty maintained.

The pool and hot tub are spotlessly clean. It seems as though Adelberto never stops cleaning. The man is a blur of activity, but always helpful and very charming. We were asking him for advice on how to get our hot tub as clean as he keeps the Villa's - it's just that spotless.

We requested a room with a view of the Malecon, which of course means a little more street noise. But you're in a neighborhood that's vivacious. Even as a complete insomniac, I had no trouble at all sleeping. It's a wonderfully walkable area, and the Calle Galeana is a lovely hill, terraced with stairs the entire way down.

We'd planned on spending a lot of time down at the Blue Chairs Beach, but we never made it once. It was so much more convenient and relaxing to lay out by the pool, the hot tub or up on the roof and just follow the sun. Okay, I confess I loved being able to sunbathe without a swimsuit.

I have some serious diet restrictions, but there were no challenges for me here. Every morning, the breakfast were delicious, hot, and gorgeous. We've stayed in B&Bs for years, and we've been a little spoiled at the higher quality of food. This was a totally different level yet. Bill and his team really do set a gold standard for hospitality. Most hotels strive for a level of quality, but achieve it through impersonality. The Villa David achieves its goal with a high degree of personality and warmth.

Out of the blue, Adelberto invited us to go to lunch to a place on the Rio Cuale with another guest one afternoon. We spent the afternoon having a wonderful lunch, touring the city and visiting several of the local hotspots and ending the evening seeing a local show. We hadn't planned on any of this, but it's the kind of impromptu conviviality that you experience at the Villa David.

The three little dogs are very sweet, one might lick you if you're friendly. They don't bark, but they might let you pet them. There's a cat who will regally ignore you.

Our fellow guests aren't "hotel guests", I think another review hit it just right. They're travelers who enjoy the experience of meeting other gay couples. Villa David becomes an excellent lodestone in building new friendships.

If you've wondered about Puerto Vallarta or whether a vacation in Mexico is right for you, I highly recommend a vacation experience at the Villa David. My husband is now as big a fan of Mexico as I am, and we are both anxious to return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple