As an avid readers of Tripadvisor , hubby and I arrived to PV and Canto del sol with our sun-seeking heads filled with information. We had ear plugs for any noise, lowered our expectations for food (just happy someone else would be cooking), knew the beach was small and subject to closure, brought fistful of U.S. one dollar bills for tips and those fabulous, crazy buses that whip you into town in minutes... and practiced our best brush-offs for the timeshare sharks. I guess it worked as we had a great time. You know it's a wonderful vacation when you start talking about what you're going to see and do on the NEXT trip within the first few days of the current one! BUT be advised you can't show up in Mexico and complain about the type of food, infrastructure and daily customs being so different or inferior. Don't bother going. We heard someone say she booked last minute on some el cheapo travel site a trip to Canto and was horrified to learn that it had only one pool. Do your research!! (Canto's one pool is clean and perfect for a cool off.) Our room was on the quiet side of the resort directly over the tennis courts and had a nice view of the mountains. We knew it might be more scenic but a tad noisier in rooms with a pool/ water view. (But if we asked I think they would have accommodated our wishes to move...) The resort is very clean, the staff friendly and the activity group of guys and gals-- energetic. The beach is rarely actually closed as we walked it every day but the tape is up to enforce the idea that swimming might not be a good idea. Further down the beach there is a lifeguard.
As timeshare owners we have slowly learned how to extricate ourselves from the timeshare sellers. Just say no....or smile and shake your head. In Mexico the saying goes that everyone has two jobs -their regular one and their timeshare gig. In a country where bartering has been the norm I suspect Mexican timeshare sellers can come across as quite annoying....Be prepared and not surprised with this reality.
As we booked through RCI we had the option to purchase the all-inclusive package which we did on two our our seven days. One day the food was so-so (but we ate it happily) and on the other...it was very tasty. If you want to...you could live on the fast food offerings at the snack bar. BUT by all means every traveller to PV has to get themselves into town to eat and drink out. Our suggestions: Blakes and Tsunami (both just steps from Canto) and further into town along the Malecon and in the Zone Romantica...Cafe de Olla, Apoca, El Arrayan, Cheeky Monkey, La Dolcce Vita...These are only a few of the great eats in PV. For a drink? Order a beer or margarita at Burros (on the south side of the river and is right on the beach...) Highlights of the trip were a day excursion to Yelapa and a wonderful 2.5 hour tour of four fabulous villas. This is a fundraiser through International Friendship Club...Wed and Thurs until April. Tickets go on sale those days at 9 am at 513 Ollas Altas? $35 US. Worth it!! We would also recommend Las Caletas which we've done as a day excursion during a cruise.
On our return home, as I am want to do...I started checking out other places in PV for our next trip just so we could do and see something new...however, when stacked up against what Canto offers for the price (it had by far the best daily optional all-inclusive package price) and location, I think that Canto del Sol as your PC base would be hard to beat...(But we do love the old town and Romantic Zone and so would consider just renting a condo in those areas one day.) .Remember...be safe, do your research, be open-minded and soak up both sun and flavour of the destination to which you're headed. You're on holidays for heaven's sake!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the center of Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, right on Banderas Bay, breathtaking sunsets draw visitors and locals alike to the evening display. Canto del Sol’s colonial-style resort offers guests outstanding value, with an extensive All-Inclusive Program that features: a championship Tennis Club with four outdoor clay courts and four covered Laykol courts; windsurfing; water polo; tequila volleyball; and dance lessons. Guests can choose a vacation as active or as relaxed as they like.The sparkling turquoise water of Mexico’s Pacific Riviera caresses the beachfront of CANTO DEL SOL PLAZA VALLARTA. This perfect vacation resort offers an atmosphere of Fun, Tradition and Tranquility, where guests have everything for their wonderful Puerto Vallarta holiday. Escape from the ordinary, and discover this magnificent oceanfront resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Vallarta