“Wish we had stayed longer.....”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Milwaukee, WI
“Wish we had stayed longer.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2005

We stayed at Canto Del Sol from April 29-May3rd. I had read a lot of the reviews from other patrons and didn't know what to expect to be honest.

I was pleasantly surprised! We had a wonderful room with a view of the ocean and the tennis courts, it had a full kitchen, a huge balcony with two lounge chairs and a table with two regular chairs. The room was clean, no mold problems, we had an inroom safe and a dead bolt lock on our door. The bed was very comfortable; however, the airconditioning was a little noisy so we put it on high before we went to bed, and then turned it off and we were fine.

The pool at the hotel was very nice and large. We always had great service. We usually tipped a US dollar with every order and had great service poolside, in the restaurants, and at the indoor bar. The staff spoke English very well and we didn't have any problems communicating with the staff. Two of the bartenders/waiters we had fun joking around with were Siegfreido and Jose, Siegfriedo also goes by "Ziggy". Ziggy makes a great drink called a "Paralyzer" try one, any more and the drink will definitely live up to it's name! WE had met some friends from chicago whose room was right above the bar and they did complain that it got a little noisy. Our room was pretty far back but had a great view of the ocean and the tennis courts.

We spent most of our time at the hotel as both of us have jobs in upper management and didn't want to run all over town it was nice to relax without the phone ringing or people asking us a ton of questions. We never had a problem finding a chair at the pool or by the beach and did not get up at 6am to reserve either. There were children at the resort but they were very well behaved and watched by their parents. Also, on May 1st they had a children's program which many of the kids participated in.

We ate only at the resort and did not get food poisoning. You can obtain a prescription for Cipro ( an antibiotic from your Dr. before you leave) in case you develop a case of diarrhea/vomiting; however, we did not need to take any. When we went to town shopping we drank only bottled water or cans or beer/soda. The food was pretty good, I was not expecting it honestly to be as good as it was. There was always something good to eat. Previously I stayed at a 5 star resort in Cozumel and the food there was terrible compared to Canto Del Sol. We did have dinner at the Mexican restaurant and I had a stuffed steak and it was delicious. We had no difficulty making reservations for the restaurant we stopped in quick after breakfast and it was EASY.

If there was a downfall to this hotel I would say it was the young adults on holiday there. They spilled many drinks into the pool, were obnoxious and rude. I did know that I wasn't paying 1200 US dollars a person for this vacation and just payed them no attention. Kids will be kids.

We decided that we would love to go back next year for an inexpensive vacation away from it all. The vendors on the beach did get annoying at times; however, we decided we should have skipped the flea market and just shopped on the beach as the prices were often better. :)

The biggest downfall for us was that we only went for 5 days and 4 nights......could have easily stayed ten days! GREAT VALUE for the money and a great time.

15 Thank eyeamdabrat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2005

We flew on Mexican Airlines, which was a pleasant experience. When we arrived it would have been nice to have been warned about the timeshare sales. As soon as you exit customs you are directed to a counter, which you might mistake for hotel info, its not it’s a timeshare pitch. The Hotel is nothing fancy, but nice. Our rooms were clean, but the beds were hard.
We also quickly realized in order to get a spot around the pool, or on the beach we had to keep our wet towels over night, then get up at 7am and place them on a chair. The towel shack didn’t open until 8-8:30am that was too late to secure your spot. Activities around the pool were fun; our 11-13 year old boys were well occupied. The beach was relaxing, but after about 3 days of venders bugging us we just stayed around the pool.
The food was okay; a little more variety would have been nice. The snack bar was great for the kids serving burgers, hot dogs and fries. The only problem was that it was supposed to be open until 9pm, but it always closed at about 6-7pm. Make reservations for your al a Carte as soon as you can. Try the Mexican coffee; take you camera for this one.
Activities, Jet Sking is $45 for 30 minites alot of fun. except when you have to get off in the middle of jellyfish,which by the way dont hurt as much as i thought. They leave a small mark which goes away after 20 mins. We all got stung a couple of times. The Sail boat was ok free with hotel AI. If you get a chance take the scuba class offered by the resort. The instructors name Was Coco he was great. He introduced us to a local scuba shop called Adventure Quest. This is a local dive shop run by two German guys very funny guys.
Overall very relaxing and inexpensive vacation. Not a four star resort pretty basic. But if you go in with a positive attiude and not focusing on the negatives you'll have a nice vacation. I will definately go no an all inclusive vacation again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2005

Stayed at the Canto del Sol for an all inclusive 4 night trip. Room was spacious and decent (stayed at the Fiesta Americana on a previous trip - would prefere to stay at FA rather than CdS. Anyway, was not inpressed with the food options at the hotel including the buffet, and the mexican restaurant. Skipped out on the Itailan restaraunt ( seemed out of place) We dined downtown at Viejo Vallarta (absolutley delciious mexican fare). As far as customer service goes, we found the staff to be completely helpful and courteous, except we ordered extra towels one afternoon, and they took 2 hours to come to the room. If you are looking for a great deal, and don't mind spring breakers ...Canto del Sol is the place for you...If you are intererterest in a higher class resort with more amenities....FIESTA AMERICANA is amazing...

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2005

My boyfriend and I had never been to Mexico before, so we decided to pick Canto Del Sol, PV as it ws very afordable and all the reviews I read were positive ones.
Firstly, I will give my positive review as i am fence sitting on this one.
The hotel was very very very clean, I have no idea was anyone is talking about, I'm sure there were certain "off" rooms, but ours was always cleaned and there is a safe in every room. We lucked out and got a room on the third floor overlooking the pool which was very nice. Everthing was always cleaned thoroughly every night, including the pool grounds.
The staff was very friendly, and spoke good english. The hotel is just far enough away from town, but within about a 2 minute walk, and it's only 40 pesos pretty much anywhere you want to go downtown in a cab.
For anyone who wants to go somewhere hot, and affordable, and clean and sunny, this is the place to go. The weather was also fantastic!
The entertainment staff did an awesome job. There was always something going on, and they have tons of energy.

On the negative side, there were WAYYYYYYYY too many kids. I'm talking children outnumbered adults 6:1 to the point where it got on my nerves. Kids were jumping off the pool bar, splashing around everywhere, completely overcrowding. We were also there on a Mexican holiday, so I do not recommend going around this time for that reason. A zillion and 6 Mexcian families. I don't care if your Mexican, I just care that you've got a million kids. I'm 22, and it was not the atmosphere I was hoping for. The pool got pretty dirty during the afternoon, but it's understandable when hundred of people swim in it all day.
Double up your drinks!! I was shy and I didn't ask for doubles, and I'm pretty sure the hard liqour is watered down. There aren't any international brands of almost any sort except Bacardi. 2 kinds of beer, a few kinds of tequila, no clue what the whisky, rum or vodka were.
Don't tip a lot either! A dollar here or there, or even use Pesos, it's fine. But we made the mistake of tipping a lot thinking the service would be better, and they didn't care at all. George the pool waiter is a really hard and fast worker though, he deserves it.
The dinner buffet was terrible. I thought there would be more Mexican but it was crap like, beef stew and tasteless pasta. The breakfast was very good. I loved the omlettes, theymake them and the pancakes right infront of you. It was quite good. I only ate at the dinner and lunch once or twice, and I never did again. We ended up going out for dinner downtown and the food downtown is fabulous! Just awesome.
The A La Carts were so-so. Not bad, and not fabulous. But good, not many choices though. Other people seemed to like them a lot, I may just be picky.
Another thing about the kids is that all we heard all day and night were giggling kids running up and down the hallways crying and slamming doors.

Anyhow, this was our experience. Those are particular things. Go on a pub crawl, get out and get to the town. But it's very family oriented, and if your young like me, and want adults (not necessarily partiers), but just more adult-oriented and social, take your chances or go to Cancun or somewhere adults only. It is a family place, and it really got to me and my boyfriend. Many people we talked to (couples mostly) said that they would not go back for that reason and ditto for us, we will find another place adults only. If you've got kids, then this is the place to go. If you care less, this is the place to go.
All in all, it's a vacation, make the best of little annoyances!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2005

I have to say that I don't normally go by others reviews but this time I will agree with some.

The buffet was horrible. Even the breakfast. the only thing good for breakfast is the omlets that is if they were not runny. We never got coffee offered until we were almost done eating. There is however a place to get a too-go cup which we just did finally when we got our food. The Mexican restaurant was very good, we did that two nights. But for a 4 day stay you only get two vouchers good for two people and you have to make reservations between 10:00am and 1:00pm in the lobby.

Our check in was disheartening. We called from the states the Saturday before and made sure of our room by the pool. When we got there we were told that on Saturday 2 days into our trip that we would have to switch rooms, not to mention that the room we received initially was over looking clay tennis courts and facing a very noisy street. The room was filled with black mold and had a refrigerator that was so noisy you couldn't sleep. The following day we complained and were moved to a pool side room that was very nice, and we didn't have to move again from that (which was probobly our room to begin with).

The pool was great until the collage kids moved in. I never had a problem with finding a chair everyday. Infact we were in the same ones every day.

This hotel has a nightly show which was pretty good. Every night you can go to a different club.

The sunsets are amazing!!!

We had a good time but over all I would not come back.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

My husband and I went to Canto Del Sol for our honeymoon. We ate at Canto Del Sol only through out our stay and got food poisoning on the 3rd day. We could not eat after the food poisoning and felt terrible for the rest of our stay.

Here is some advice for your trip:

When you go make sure you bring a sign, in Spanish, "Do not disturb", as you will need it on the beach. If you don't you will be spending a good part of your time trying to explain in Spanish that you don't need any hammocks for $100 each or fake silver jewelry.

If you would like to stay under an umbrella on the beach, bring an alarm clock and set if for 6AM. When it rings, go promptly to the beach, do not delay.

If you don't mind getting food poisoning and decide to go, I suggest you stay on one of the upper floors as you will have a higher chance of getting some sleep since you will hear less noise.

I don't recommend white bathing suits, as they change color in the pool. I was told that this is due to excessive amount of bleach in the pool.

Make sure you bring some bleach with you, as you will need it to clean your room.

I hope you enjoy your stay at Canto Del Sol more than I did.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2005

Just got back from canto del sol. Me and my boyfriend went from april 23-30, 2005. We're between 19 and 21 years old and from Canada. It's a good time to go to PV because the weather isnt too hot and it isnt extremely busy.

So on to the resort... The resort was really nice and was extremely clean for Mexico... the rooms weren't the nicest but they were kept very clean and that's all that matters. The inroom safe was also very handy. We had little concern with getting possessions stolen and nothing was taken. If you're smart about it then nothing should be taken. For sure get the pool view its really nice. The first night we were there we did hear loud drunk people down the halls NOT ALL TEENS EITHER i must add! But after the first night we slept right through it. The hotel is very open so sound travels. You'll find that at every hotel in PV though.

The service at Canto del sol is really good considering its supposed to be self-serve. The workers love to get people drunk they'd just keep feeding you tequila if they could. Its quite funny. Drinks to try there: pina colada, miami vice, strawberry dackery, tequila and CORONA! The food wasnt bad, it did get a bit repetitive though, but thats why it was nice to go to the a la carte dining and snack bar once in a while.

Many people at the resort just sat around the pool all day DONT DO THAT! explore, travel around.. if you want to stay in a resort for your entire vacations then pick a local resort. The resort always has entertainment going on which is great but you should really explore PV. The night shows may not be apropriate for young kids either some of the costumes are really skimpy, they're still entertaining though.

THINGS TO DO/PLACES TO GO:
-Go to Bucerias for snorkeling its a beautiful beach and you can walk for hours up and down it. Its not overly populated there either. 10 pesos from Canto del sol going towards the airport on a ATM bus, its about 35 mins away. Also you can horseback riding there along the beach for extremely cheap. (200 pesos per hour!)
-Go to the flea market downtown, its not cheap though.
-Buy alcohol (if you drink) thats about the only cheap thing there
-Go to a salsa club...(all ages) theres one about a 4 minute walk from Canto del sol towards the airport no cover.
-Go to Carlos Obriens..its a fun club downtown for a younger crowd no cover.
-If you can stomach it go to the bullring. 300 pesos to go in, absolutely horrifying, but definitely worth the experience.
-Days NOT to shop: Sun and Wed, 90% of Mexicans are catholic.

Overall, Canto del sol is a great place to stay as the location is really close to the airport and downtown. the resort is safe and kept really clean. I would definitely recommend it to a younger crowd as most people there are between 20-30. There still are many families and older individuals, but they seem to have complaints, so its probably better for younger people.

Adios!

11 Thank Girly123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#26 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#22 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,471 reviews
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#28 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,431 reviews
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Me...
#21 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,630 reviews
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#34 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,441 reviews
Villa del Palmar Flamingos

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!