“rough start but amazing vacation”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Not only was that my first time in Puerto Vallarta, it was my first trip to Mexico. I had read a lot of reviews and tips on travelling to Mexico, safety, etc., before going there and was not really sure whether I was doing the right thing but decided to give it a shot anyway. OMG – that turned out to be the best vacation choice that I have ever made so far!
To be honest, my day one was very rough, if not horrible, and I was almost ready to pack my things and leave the place, but then everything miraculously changed and the rest was like my dreams of a perfect getaway came true! The horrible thing was the timeshare presentation, a.k.a. “sales presentation”, that is virtually impossible to avoid. I have no idea why the resort lets those people on their premises and why it has to be so camouflaged for an innocent “let-me-show-you-around tour”, which is also presented as a “no obligation” thing. Oh, boy, is THAT wrong!!!! That was a total and complete waste of time, there was a tremendous amount of pressure to buy their offer, the guy who introduced himself as the one who was paying the resort to hold presentations was insanely and unbelievably rude to the point that he dared to ask me very private questions and make assumptions about my personal life when people were around. I felt my privacy was brutally violated. To say I was upset and devastated is to say nothing. I just had to stand up and leave, and I thought my vacation would go down the drain.
… and then, everything started to change. I did not go anywhere to complain about what had happened, and I still have no idea how on Earth the guest service staff figured out that something had gone terribly wrong, but I was approached by one of them – Fabiola, who was very professional, very nice, and even though it was not her fault, she was sincerely concerned about how I felt and very apologetic. We talked very nicely and took care of me and made sure that I feel welcomed and comfortable in there resort. Throughout my stay she always asked me if everything was OK, we had nice small talks and I soon forgot about the nightmare I had to go through at the beginning! Another guest service representative, Angel, was very helpful in terms of giving suggestions, advice, helping out with everything I had concerns about. All of them were great, and I do agree with those who say that personnel of the resort are just AMAZING! They literally made my stay there. I do not remember all their names, but I would like to thank Fabiola and Angel from guest services, Johana and Angel from the front desk, Alfonso and his partners from the restaurant and many others. The service they provide is topnotch, their professionalism is impeccable!
The resort is kept clean, the beach is a bit small, but clean too. The room is big and comfortable, and of course clean – as everything else in the resort. I stayed in room 189, which faces the pool, and unlike some reviews say, I cannot say it was noisy. The bed was super comfortable. The only thing that might be of some inconvenience was the noise from the AC, which was kind of loud, but I would turn it on and leave it working during the day, while I am away, and then turn it off before going to bed at night. It was enough to keep the room cool overnight, and there was no inconvenience at all.
Another bonus of the resort is its location. It is very close to downtown Puerto Vallarta. You can take a cab, and there are always some at the front, or you can take a city bus. In terms of time, it doesn’t really matter what you take as there’s always traffic, and it usually takes around 15 minutes to get downtown. In terms of price, busses are way cheaper than cabs. You will pay 7.50 pesos for the bus, but the price for the cab ride varies from 60 to 200 pesos, and I guess it is on the driver’s discretion. Both cabs and busses run very often.
Daily activities by the pool were very much fun to watch, and although I did not participate, I enjoyed their contests and shows while having lunches and sometimes dinners in the restaurant. Night entertainment was not that great. I mean, it was not bad, but I have seen better and more entertaining shows. Again, that was not a big deal either as downtown was very close, and one can easily find any kind of nightclub, restaurant, etc. you desire. I went out almost every night with my friends, and we had a lot of fun!
Another thing about PV is safety. It is pretty safe. There’s a lot of police presence there, but it only made me feel more relaxed during my late night walks and parting with my friends, who by the way I met there.
If you want to add some glamour and charm to your vacation, I would suggest buying an all day cruise to one of the most amazing secluded beaches I have ever been to – Las Caletas. It should be seen as no words are good enough to describe the beauty of nature, the service you will get, the quality of food, etc. You can google it and you will get a lot of info on this place! Highly recommended!!!!
Well, as I said, it started bad, but the staff was able to turn it into a miracle! Thank you very much to all of them. Will I be coming back? Sure! I feel like it is just the beginning of a long-term love affair with Puerto Vallarta!

6  Thank MiroToronto
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I loved the atmosphere of the lobby when I walked in the people were so nice and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and larger then other hotels I stayed at and the furniture and bedding was very nice and comfortable. Unfortunately we forgot to ask our travel agent for ocean view and got a mountain view with a very small deck. But we did not care because we spent our entire time hanging out at the awesome pool with swim up bar. Or walking down the beach and going for a swim in the ocean or a suntan. The beach was clean and the sand was soft not rocky. The food was excellent and the drinks were good did I mention all you can eat or drink. We even walked into town all the way to the Malecon and felt very safe it was a 20 min walk to the clubs. We had a blast I will never forget my first time in Mexico were I stayed at Canto del Sol.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VandaVictoria
Reviewed April 26, 2014

An overall very satisfying experience that I will always remember; in a beautiful location.
Whatever short comings this resort may have, the staff more than made up for it.
I won't mention many specific names because I can't remember them all.
My room was cleaned very well every day & 2 bottles of water supplied
The buffet waiters & supervisor were incredible as was Chris in the lobby bar the week I was there. Pablo at the poolside bar made sure your glass was never empty.
I thought that the buffet food was better than the 3 'a la carte' dinners that I was entitled too.
I'm from 'cattle country' ( Calgary, Alberta, Canada ) & the beef in Mexico doesn't stack up to what we eat, but they do a good job of presentation.
I've read quite a few reviews & I know there are some legitimate complaints, but I people watch a little & can't believe how ignorant & CHEAP some guests are.
Because it is all inclusive most don't ever tip at all.

Not everything was rosy as I was very disappointed in the WI-fi. They were having problems supposedly & I could receive emails but not send. They had their IT look at my laptop several times & blamed it on my server. My server worked fine when I got home.
They sent an email for me which never worked.
I had to make a phone call to Calgary to confirm my pick up at the Calgary airport.
I used the hotel land line & had it charged to my credit card & the cost for a call that was less than 2 minutes cost just over $58. Yikes.
Other than a few minor glitches I have no problem recommending this hotel & I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was ground floor facing the pool & was fine.
3  Thank Ralph A
Reviewed April 25, 2014

It was an excellent experience to see the great service that all the personal from the hotel can offer and serve you. 100% honesty and respect, very good, thank you so much for everything.
I hope to come back next year!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny, an excellent choice!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Adriana H
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The staff is what makes this a nice place, they are ALL friendly and remember you. This resort is a little on the small size, it only has one pool and the beach is also on the small size. The rooms were nothing special very simple and kept in pretty good shape.
The food was ok, nothing too special a pretty good choice of items. I would say this is more like a 3 1/2 or 4 star resort.
Its great if you aren't planning on spending a lot of time there, because you would get bored in about 2 or 3 days.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alenalovessun
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is my second time in this great hotel. My room was the 367 nice pool view.
I would like to be clear with my personal opinión: Ok. This is not a Fairmont or Shangri la Resort. and the deals of what you pay are very different.
Canto del Sol is a nice medium old hotel, but very well mantained.. very clean rooms and public áreas. Food very good.... much better than other hotels I have been in PV.
But What it makes even better is all the staff. They try at all times to do their best.. Sure I will return..

Room Tip: choose if you can; pool view rooms.
2  Thank willmexicocity
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We spent a week at Canto Del Sol with our family & baseball team.First time in PV and we will be returning next year. The resort and all the staff were amazing! Everyone went out of their way to help and make sure you are having a good stay. Activities staff were also awesome. Water aerobics, ping pong, water polo to beach volleyball, they've got you covered. Food was great in the buffet and snack bar. The kids could choose what they would like, and have seconds of their favorites. Short cab ride to the Malacon for a great day/night experience. Loved being central and walking distance away from many local shops. Loved this resort! See you next year!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family