Not only was that my first time in Puerto Vallarta, it was my first trip to Mexico. I had read a lot of reviews and tips on travelling to Mexico, safety, etc., before going there and was not really sure whether I was doing the right thing but decided to give it a shot anyway. OMG – that turned out to be the best vacation choice that I have ever made so far!
To be honest, my day one was very rough, if not horrible, and I was almost ready to pack my things and leave the place, but then everything miraculously changed and the rest was like my dreams of a perfect getaway came true! The horrible thing was the timeshare presentation, a.k.a. “sales presentation”, that is virtually impossible to avoid. I have no idea why the resort lets those people on their premises and why it has to be so camouflaged for an innocent “let-me-show-you-around tour”, which is also presented as a “no obligation” thing. Oh, boy, is THAT wrong!!!! That was a total and complete waste of time, there was a tremendous amount of pressure to buy their offer, the guy who introduced himself as the one who was paying the resort to hold presentations was insanely and unbelievably rude to the point that he dared to ask me very private questions and make assumptions about my personal life when people were around. I felt my privacy was brutally violated. To say I was upset and devastated is to say nothing. I just had to stand up and leave, and I thought my vacation would go down the drain.
… and then, everything started to change. I did not go anywhere to complain about what had happened, and I still have no idea how on Earth the guest service staff figured out that something had gone terribly wrong, but I was approached by one of them – Fabiola, who was very professional, very nice, and even though it was not her fault, she was sincerely concerned about how I felt and very apologetic. We talked very nicely and took care of me and made sure that I feel welcomed and comfortable in there resort. Throughout my stay she always asked me if everything was OK, we had nice small talks and I soon forgot about the nightmare I had to go through at the beginning! Another guest service representative, Angel, was very helpful in terms of giving suggestions, advice, helping out with everything I had concerns about. All of them were great, and I do agree with those who say that personnel of the resort are just AMAZING! They literally made my stay there. I do not remember all their names, but I would like to thank Fabiola and Angel from guest services, Johana and Angel from the front desk, Alfonso and his partners from the restaurant and many others. The service they provide is topnotch, their professionalism is impeccable!
The resort is kept clean, the beach is a bit small, but clean too. The room is big and comfortable, and of course clean – as everything else in the resort. I stayed in room 189, which faces the pool, and unlike some reviews say, I cannot say it was noisy. The bed was super comfortable. The only thing that might be of some inconvenience was the noise from the AC, which was kind of loud, but I would turn it on and leave it working during the day, while I am away, and then turn it off before going to bed at night. It was enough to keep the room cool overnight, and there was no inconvenience at all.
Another bonus of the resort is its location. It is very close to downtown Puerto Vallarta. You can take a cab, and there are always some at the front, or you can take a city bus. In terms of time, it doesn’t really matter what you take as there’s always traffic, and it usually takes around 15 minutes to get downtown. In terms of price, busses are way cheaper than cabs. You will pay 7.50 pesos for the bus, but the price for the cab ride varies from 60 to 200 pesos, and I guess it is on the driver’s discretion. Both cabs and busses run very often.
Daily activities by the pool were very much fun to watch, and although I did not participate, I enjoyed their contests and shows while having lunches and sometimes dinners in the restaurant. Night entertainment was not that great. I mean, it was not bad, but I have seen better and more entertaining shows. Again, that was not a big deal either as downtown was very close, and one can easily find any kind of nightclub, restaurant, etc. you desire. I went out almost every night with my friends, and we had a lot of fun!
Another thing about PV is safety. It is pretty safe. There’s a lot of police presence there, but it only made me feel more relaxed during my late night walks and parting with my friends, who by the way I met there.
If you want to add some glamour and charm to your vacation, I would suggest buying an all day cruise to one of the most amazing secluded beaches I have ever been to – Las Caletas. It should be seen as no words are good enough to describe the beauty of nature, the service you will get, the quality of food, etc. You can google it and you will get a lot of info on this place! Highly recommended!!!!
Well, as I said, it started bad, but the staff was able to turn it into a miracle! Thank you very much to all of them. Will I be coming back? Sure! I feel like it is just the beginning of a long-term love affair with Puerto Vallarta!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the center of Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, right on Banderas Bay, breathtaking sunsets draw visitors and locals alike to the evening display. Canto del Sol’s colonial-style resort offers guests outstanding value, with an extensive All-Inclusive Program that features: a championship Tennis Club with four outdoor clay courts and four covered Laykol courts; windsurfing; water polo; tequila volleyball; and dance lessons. Guests can choose a vacation as active or as relaxed as they like.The sparkling turquoise water of Mexico’s Pacific Riviera caresses the beachfront of CANTO DEL SOL PLAZA VALLARTA. This perfect vacation resort offers an atmosphere of Fun, Tradition and Tranquility, where guests have everything for their wonderful Puerto Vallarta holiday. Escape from the ordinary, and discover this magnificent oceanfront resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Vallarta