“hotel:”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The hotel is well situated for easy access to the Malecon / City, 50 pesos away. Service is excellent and the staff very accommodating. The food at the resort restaurants is good, however you will want to travel into the south section of the city and enjoy any of the food establishments along "restaurant row". Definitely a real cross section of people while I was there for vacation. There is entertainment and I did not participate. The smaller hotel size suited my personality and it did not disappoint. This hotel was certainly reflected the reviews I read before booking. great value , better people.

Room Tip: ensure you get a room in the original U shaped part that you see on the internet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Bill D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised on the resort. It is a small comfortable stay: the rooms are smaller but we are never there anyway. We had requested the upgrade for a pool/ocean view with a balcony and were not disppointed. Did have to take 2 small beds which was not great but no big deal either. A great view made up for it. The resort is doing some upgrading and replacing balconies and elevators which is awesome. A mini fridge would be an asset but not a big deal. I had no problem with the 2 water bottles and filling our own; great step to eco frindly strategies. Coolers are provided all over the resort so not a problem at all. The hotel is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever experienced....cleaning was constant in the bathrooms etc Definately above and beyond and great to see. The service is above excellent!!! All of the staff are exceptional.....we have travelled to Mexico for 15 yrs and I can not say enough about the service here. We were treated like long lost friends who returned ...and we have never stayed there before!! I cannot mention everyone but of course the Snack Bar waiters and the pool bar get my biggest thank yous! Jorge/ Pablo/ Migel/Bristol just to mention a few were awesome! All of the Al a carts were excellent; one of the best steaks I have had at the Steak House and the Surf n Grill. The Buffet is a buffet but aren't they all....omelets were excellent! Good variety of everything. One thing I may want to have them consider is Martinis in the lobby bar....I really missed my after dinner treat!! They had the gin just needed the vermouth and olives lolll Would definately consider another stay...Thank You to all of our new family at Canto del Sol

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pensan1
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent Staff, clean Rooms, Great activities every day, Nightly Shows except Sunday, Wonderful Activity Staff, and a good selection of food each and every Day. The higher the occupancy, the better the food. Single Large Pool at Canto, and a smaller quitter pool at Villas - great choice for active pool and quiet pool areas. Ocean nice with clean Beach, and great for individuals who know how to properly enter and swim in Ocean. For Smokers, restricted areas to smoke. Great for Families, with Daily Kids Room. Lots of Tennis Courts. We have been at this hotel previously, and we met folks from all over North America, including some from previous stays. Great Bar Service. Is @ half way between Cruise Harbour (Walmart) and Downtown - easy walking to either, otherwise the Buses are great.

Room Tip: If not totally satisfied with room layout or bed set up, being to Hotel staff right away, and they w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Swissfox1
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The only reason I am writing this review is because our friends and us had the same complaint (staff changes). We have all been going to Canto for the last 6-7 years. We all come back every year because of the staff, location and size of the hotel. All of us stayed at the Villas, the sister hotel across the street but spent all of our time at Canto. We loved the new pool deck at Canto. Great addition to the pool area. Buffet and el la cartes were good as usual. But we did notice staffing changes. We usually have breakfast at the snack bar in the mornings. But I have to say a couple of the new staff members there were terrible at their jobs. You would have to ask numerous times to get what you requested. One morning my friend ordered an omelette with everything. He got an omelette with nothing. My wife asked one member if she could get some coffee creamer for her coffee. He rudely responded by saying no more creamer until tomorrow. That's a first for us at Canto. We have never been spoken to like that by any of the staff over the years. I would also ask for juice along with my breakfast but got it half the time and would have to ask again. We also encountered new bar staff that were not on top of their game but I'm being picky. I guess I am comparing them to Georges who is always working his butt off. We will not stop coming to this hotel because we love it and 99% of the staff are terrific. We just hope staff like we encountered will be weeded out and be replaced with more professional people. We love Canto Del Sol!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Just spent a week at Canto Del Sol from February 1st to February 8th and were extremely happy with our stay!

Hotel: Canto Del Sol is a quaint resort located in the hotel zone of Puerto Vallarta and a short drive away from the Malecon. This hotel is extremely clean; there was never a time when I did not see the grounds staff not cleaning something. The resort has a large pool, daily activities, daily evening shows, and was located right on the beach. There was ample amounts of lounge chairs available around the pool and down by the beach. Note: If you want a lounge chair in a "good" location or would like an umbrella, you generally have to go down to reserve it by 7:30am. There are signs everywhere which state that you cannot reserve the chairs; but this is disregarded by the majority of people. The main (and largest) bar is located by the pool, and there is another one located by the lobby. Wifi is located EVERYWHERE in the hotel which we loved. We had excellent service in our room, the restaurant and by the pool.

Rooms: The rooms were not that of a 5 star resort, but they were extremely clean and well kept. When staying at an all-inclusive you are hopefully not spending all of your time in your bedroom, so what the room had did the trick for us! Each room has a balcony. Our room was not a beach front/ocean view room but we did appreciate having a room on the outer side of the resort as it was quiet and peaceful. The maid cleaned our room every day and provided us with an ample supply of fresh towels, face-cloths and hand towels. We never had to ask them to do this; it was done automatically.

Food: The food was by far some of the best food that I've had while at an all-inclusive. They had a large selection at the buffet and there was always something to eat (even for the pickiest of eaters!) Myself, I am a vegetarian and I always could find something to eat. At the a la Cartes, there are even vegetarian options printed on the menu and they were more than willing to cater to my needs. For those of you who are Celiac or live a Gluten-free lifestyle, there were always "Gluten Free" options available at the buffet. I did not hear of anyone becoming ill from the food during our stay.
We went to the Mexican and Italian a la Cartes and were very impressed! The Tiramisu at the Italian restaurant was to die for!

Staff: Staff were extremely friendly and were willing to bend over backwards to get you what you wanted. The staff did not appear to be "expecting" tips and were extremely grateful for anything given to them. I noticed that the staff also worked really well with elderly individuals there and children. The staff all seemed very happy with their jobs at Canto Del Sol and showed pride in the resort and the work that they do!

A lot of the people that we met at the resort were repeat travellers to Canto Del Sol. We met one couple who had been there at least a dozen times. I think this says a lot about Canto Del Sol and the way that people consider it to be a second home.

Overall, we were extremely happy with our trip, the resort and the service provided.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank rachkass
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Wow i loved my little hotel they did change all the chefs the food is fantastic .The service is 5star for me ,The floor outside as been done with marble white so nice..... the snack bar at beach side was great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can't say enough about the service from the front desk, the waiters...Pedro, Daniel , Georges, Raul ,Ramon...
The new manager did a wonderfull job ..I will be back ....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Line2010
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Hubs has been back four times and this my first stay in this hotel. VERY clean, friendly staff and good food . The hotel is 34 yrs old and seems well maintained. It's not the most luxurious place but we will def be returning. Just remember that this is not Canada, so if you can't relax and roll with the more laid back atmosphere, go elsewhere. Loved our two week stay!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple