“Wonderful hotel and very attentive staff.”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Pitt Meadows, Canada
“Wonderful hotel and very attentive staff.”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

My husband Steve and I (Eva) and a close friend of ours were at the Canto Del Sol for the first time, November 23-30, 2013.Steve and I have been to Vallarta many times before, but we truly enjoyed our stay here.Yes , there was construction going on around the pool but it did not bother us. Our room was quite clean and comfortable..close to the buffet restaurant. ..and no that did not bother us either. Air conditioner was not that loud...but the staff .. absolutely fantastic! !!! From the maid, to the servers, to the activities staff and especially Paulina at guest services who helped us, with little things, beyond the call of duty. We allhad such a great time that we are going back in April, with our friend and another friend.Thank you, Canto Del Sol! !!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank slothdragon
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Assistant to the General Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Eva, Steve and Friends,

Thank you very much for your nice comments, we appreciate them a lot. We are glad to hear our staff is doing a good job! We will certainly congratulate Paulina for the exceptional service she provided to you.

We are sorry that we did have some construction works going on around the pool, but we are always concerned about having our facilities in great conditions. Nevertheless we are very happy to hear that it had not been a big issue for you, same as for almost all of our guests, by attending you and them well and with a lot of excitement! And finally, our floor looks beautiful now!

It will be a great pleasure to host you and your family again here at your home away from home, Canto Del Sol. We are looking forward to welcome you back with your friends in April and remain at your service for any further comments, questions or suggestions at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Nancy Beltrán

Assistant to the General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Czech first
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have just returned from a 10 day all-inclusive stay at Canto del Sol in Puerto Vallarta (January 1-11). We had a very good stay. It was our first time in a very small resort and also our first time on the Pacific side of Mexico.

There are lots of reviews of this resort so I am writing this from the perspective of a couple in their 50’s who almost always stay in large to very large resorts and always on the Caribbean/Gulf side (DR, Playa del Carmen, Cuba, etc.). We have done about 12 of these trips and have written several other reviews that some have found helpful. I will cover the hotel itself, food, bars and the beach and wrap up with a bit of opinion from our perspective.

The hotel - is very nice and well-kept and the rooms are very modern. It is hidden away on a cul de sac a little way off the main road and about 15 minutes from the airport. We were lucky enough to have an inside room (odd numbers) that looked over the pool and had a bit of an ocean view. I’m pretty sure most of the outside rooms had much less of a view as neighboring buildings are very close by. Also, some people stayed across the street in the sister resort Villa Vallarta and although they had their own pool they had to come to the Canto to get access to the beach. There seemed to be some number of rooms in both buildings that were timeshares with RCI. Some of the timeshare people had all-inclusive and some didn’t. There are a number of stores and a good sized mall within a 20 minute walk down the main street.

Food - there is a small buffet, 3 a la cartes and a snack bar. The buffet, depending upon the day, had 1 to 3 special stations where you could order eggs and omelets and sometimes quesadillas for breakfast as well as some types of pasta, fried sandwiches or fresh carved meats for lunch and dinner. There was an excellent fruit bar for breakfast and salad bar for lunch and dinner. The food was quite good but there was a little too much pork and fish for my liking. The fresh vegetables, especially the tomatoes, are to die for after eating the tasteless ones we get at home in the winter. There was also an abundance of fresh fruit at all meals that tasted wonderful. Another traveller also mentioned that she had some difficulty in determining which food was gluten free. The service was consistently excellent at the buffet.
As an all-inclusive guest we could book one of the a la cartes every two days. We did the steakhouse and Italian twice each and the Mexican once. We had one very good meal at the steakhouse (which is across the street at the Villas Vallarta) and one not so good as the meat was very tough and stringy the second time. Service was excellent both times. The Italian was very good both times. I didn’t care for the Mexican as it’s mostly Mexican seafood and the scallops I ordered were very underdone compared to what I prefer although the service was excellent.

The snack bar, near the beach, is a bit of an enigma, which I still don’t fully understand. According to the materials at check-in the snack bar is included as well but they also have a snack menu (wings, etc) which have prices from 80 to 150 pesos (roughly $8-15). They do serve drinks all day around the pool and on the beach which is definitely included. As well, they do an a la carte breakfast near the ocean that is included and has a great view. As far as the snacks, they always ask for you room number, presumably so it can be charged to your room. We had a teenager as a part of our group and they never asked for his room number and he said the snacks were excellent. We did order the odd bit of snack food and expected to get a bill at checkout. Interestingly, when we checked out, none of our 3 rooms received any extra charges so I’m not sure what to think.

Bars – there are two main bars, one in the lobby with glassware and the pool bar but they also deliver drinks in the restaurants, around the pool and on the beach. They have a good selections with Corona and Negro for beer and a range of cocktails and liquor. Everything was just fine except I found they served a local brand of Gin at the pool that was not very good but they had Beefeater at the lobby bar.

Beach – It is a small beach which is even smaller at high tide and there are some rocks in the water. We only had one very high tide during our 10 days and the beach was less than 20 feet wide. Most days when high tide was at night it was about 3 times that size. The waves were quite strong most days and there is a quick drop-off under the water. The waves stir up the sand so the water is not as clear as I am used to. There are also a large number of vendors on the beach but they were all very nice people. A simple acknowledgement of “nada gracias” and they would wish you a nice day and leave you alone. We walked into town along the beach which was fine except for one stretch of about half a mile where the sand was replaced with large pebbles and small rocks. I found it difficult to walk in some parts without slipping.

Some Opinions and Observations
- The staff at the hotel were wonderful and very friendly
- I am a morning person and am usually on the beach for sun-up. As the resort is on the west coast and there are mountains to the east, sun-up was much later in the morning around 9. This is compensated for by the beautiful sunsets.
- I would like to have seen more fresh salsa and guacamole snacks that I am used to while in Mexico. I only saw guacamole once in the buffet and chips without salsa at the snack bar.
- I did not appreciate having to go to the timeshare people to get my towel card at check-in. I’m on vacation and don’t need to spend any time at all with a condo commando. She gave up trying to convince us to attend the welcome breakfast after only 3 polite no’s.
- Although the small resort experience was enjoyable, I think my wife and I are better suited to the larger resorts with more dining options
- I much prefer the Caribbean beaches and water which is not a big deal if you are a pool person.
- I wish I had spent a little more time exploring the Romantic Zone in downtown as it was much more interesting than the Malecon area
- In general, it appears to me that the tourists in Puerto Vallarta are quite a bit older than other places we have visited. There are definitely lots of snowbirds spending the winter but we didn’t see very many young families or adults.
- We felt perfectly safe at all times during our stay even off the resort at night. Not even a hint of crime that we could see. A very nice place.

I hope this is helpful to some. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Greg

Room Tip: Look for the odd numbered rooms which are mostly on the pool side facing the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank grbayl
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Guest Relations Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Greg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with Tripadvisor and us your vacation experience at Canto del Sol. A very detailed evaluation is always very much appreciated to be able to improve our areas of opportunity.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the food in all our restaurants. Besides the restaurants you mention, now we have a brand new restaurant called “Mar y Tierra” (Surf & Turf). So, you have to start planning your next vacation to try it! Also, we just introduce some new dishes and mark the gluten free options in our menus for the special people who need them.

Regarding the snack bar, we would like to clarify that indeed it is included for our all-inclusive guests, that’s why you didn’t get an extra charge on your bill. The menu has prices on it for the European plan guests. The rest of the restaurants do not have prices on the menus because they have a set price per dinner.

It is gratifying to know our staff did a good job to make your vacation more enjoyable!

It will be a pleasure to host you again at your home away from home Canto del Sol. We remain at your service for any further comments, questions or suggestions at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was the perfect one week break in the sun. Canto del Sol is a small/medium sized resort with a laid back family feel. The staff are fabulous, the food is fine, the location is very convenient. The rooms are good for what a room in Mexico should be for -- sleeping. This is not a posh resort but it is well maintained a clean.

This was my first experience of an all-inclusive and it was delightful ... far exceeded my expectations. This may have to do with the fact that we got an amazing deal through Air Canada Vacations so our expectations were not necessarily high. If I am looking for another cheap week away in the winter this resort would be the first place I would look to book.

If you are looking for excellent service from helpful and friendly staff in a smaller more laid back setting this is it. If you are looking for posh, high end rooms and amenities this is not it.

Room Tip: If quiet is what you are looking for try to get a room on the "garden" side. It's not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn A
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Guest Relations Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Guest of Canto Del Sol,

Thank you very much for your comments about our small but accommodating resort! We appreciate your opinion and we are glad our facilities and staff was what you needed to have a great vacation!

We really hope to see you and your family back soon at your home away from home Canto del Sol.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

we stayed just shy of 2 weeks here over new years. I was greatly impressed with this resort, more then i expected it to be, that's for sure!

1st off we are a family and with a young child with celiac disease, so he needs to eat gluten free. For the most part, there is not much choice for celiacs to eat, breakfast being the best with having eggs, omelets, yogurt, fruit..... Lunch and dinner not much at all choice wise, but what i was impressed with was how at the a la cartes they would try their best to cater to him, the chefs would come out with concerns to talk to us, they made him items we brought ( pasta), with no issues. I was disappointed that there weren't even Gf desserts hardly ever offered, even at the buffet. We travel a lot and there was always simple items like jello or ice cream but none ever found on this resort. Over all the food was good, especially the snack bar items.

This place yes is a older resort but it is very well maintained. Always grooming it, clean as clean can be, and have been doing updating as well. It was a beautiful place.

The beach, was smaller then most resorts and had a small area with loungers and umbrellas. The vendors hang out there all day in front on the beach. The sand is softer then down the beach to your left where it's mostly rocky.

The pool was nice and large, a bit of reserving chairs going on but not overly like we have experienced before at other resorts.

Service was FANTASTIC! excellent service no matter where you went or who you talked to or needed help from. The beach/ pool service was excellent, so that was a nice perk plus you were allowed to eat/ order at your pool chair too, not all resorts have service around the pool even some 5 star resorts we have been to!

Rooms were ok, nothing fancy, but kept well maintained and very clean. We did have a small balcony/ OV and a mini fridge in the room with a small kitchenette. The fridge came in handy for us with our son's dietary needs, but i think that if a resort provides fridges, they should stock them as well. Yes you only get 2 small bottles of water a week in your room but it's all good. You can fill them up as much as you want at different water stations that are placed all over the resort and at any bar too. It wasn't a issue at all. I seen many go to the store and buy water too but i don't feel it necessary. The AC in our room was quite noisy but it came as a life savior as well... it was our white noise machine,lol. We were near the snack bar and at night people get a bit drunk and rowdy, so it was nice it blocked out a lot of the noise from there...

For a la cartes, you were able to book them all at once if you liked, or as time passed. I found you weren't limited to booking at a specific time only like at so many other resorts where you would be stuck standing in line for a long time just to book. Here you can book at any time of the day. LOVED it!

I will say though that the crowd that is there at the time can make or change a vacation impression. Our 1st week was more families and was a very pleasant stay. It was quieter, everyone talked to each other and made for a nice stay, we met many people. The second week we had more of a younger party crowd, lots came in big groups. That is when you seen a lot of rudeness, drunkenness and loud yelling, etc all in all we made the best of it! I really enjoy this resort and was pleasantly surprised with it! I will defiantly be going back!

6 Thank lin7604
Dear Guest of Canto Del Sol,

We thank you very much for the time you spend writing all your great comments about your wonderful vacation with us. We love to hear good reviews about the excellent service from our staff and facilities.

It is so gratifying to help people on vacation with special needs, so you don’t even have to thank about it. It was a pleasure for our kitchen staff to be able to help your boy. Actually, we took this experience with your son to add some dishes and mark the gluten free options in our menus.

Also, we do offer to all our guests an extra charge upgrade upon arrival. If available, our suites with mini fridges include the fill out service every day with water, sodas, beer, rum, tequila and some snack as well.

We are sincerely looking forward to see you and your family back very soon at your home away from home Canto del Sol. We remain at your service for any further comments, questions or requests at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed January 9, 2014

After spending week one at Grand Mayan which was very nice but a huge resort, it was a welcome spending the week at canto del sol which is a quaint smaller resort. The service was very good at the resort Oscar who worked the pool area was a great server always there to take our order for food and drinks. The all inclusive was decent for lunch and breakfast. Dinners were good at the Italian and Mexican restaurants but the steakhouse and buffet were not good. My prime rib at the steakhouse was 1/4 inch thick and tough even though I ordered medium rare. The dinners at the buffet were poor food quality. In summary a clean room decent food and decent location

2 Thank Michael L
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Guest Relations Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest of Canto del Sol,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments and the opportunity you gave us of serving you in our little resort. We will let Oscar know about your good review of him.

We are sorry to hear you didn’t like the Steak House and buffet quality. We will certainly double check with our Culinary Director about this matter, he is always supervising the food variety and quality to offer our guests a good meal at the buffet restaurant, nice snacks at the Snack bar and great surprises at the specialty restaurants.

We would like to ask you the opportunity to host you again and exceed your expectations at your home away from home Canto del Sol. We remain at your service for any further comments or suggestions at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The main reason we return to this resort is because of the staff. They are friendly, informative and often go beyond the call of duty to accommodate us. Special mention goes to Manuel Palma, Roberto Martinez, David Gonzales, Salvador Galvan, Luis Hernandez, Jose H. (Bell boy), Pedro Orozco, Sandro (Mexican restaurant), Ramon, Sergio, Rolando Sanchez, and Jonathan (kitchen/food prep). This visit was marred by the construction, which was continuous throughout our stay. The noise and dust detracted from the enjoyment of the facility. The smoking area was allowed to extend onto the deck and into the beach bar dining area, and since our group was all non-smokers, the odor of smoke was unpleasant. A stricter non-smoking policy would be appreciated.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Robert E
Dear Guest of Canto del Sol,

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate them very much. We also would like to thank you for mentioning our staff members who did serve you well, we are glad to hear that they are doing a great job and going beyond! We will certainly let them know and recognize them for the exceptional service they provided to you, to keep up the great work, their motivation and enthusiasm.

We indeed had some maintenance works going on around the pool, as we are always concerned about having our facilities in unsurpassable conditions. We are really very sorry that this might have added some uncomfortable experience to your vacations, and would like to offer our most sincere apologies.

Regarding the non-smoking policy, which is a requirement of federal authorities for all resorts in Mexico, we have signs all around the hotel and every time we encounter one of our guests smoking in the areas or inside their room we ask them to be so kind and support us with fulfilling this mandatory requirement. Nevertheless we will follow up on your comments by ensuring more signage and control on this matter.

We remain at your service for any further comments or suggestions at guestserv@cantodelsol.com It will be a pleasure to host you and your family again in your home away from home Canto Del Sol.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We just returned from another great stay at Canto del Sol. We had our wedding in December - Jacquie the wedding planner was amazing . Every detail was taken care of and the wedding went perfect. The hotel treated us and our guests very well. Our dinner afterwards was super. We had 18 guests join us and evryone loved the pool and the staff. The staff were friendly and served us well

1 Thank dijim_2011
Dear Guest of Canto del Sol,

We thank you very much for having chosen our lovely hotel as the scenery for one of the most important days of your life. We are sincerely pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the service we did provide to your guests.

We really hope to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in your home away from home Canto del Sol.

We remain at your service for any further comments at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!