My daughter, who just turned thirteen, and I spent a week at the Canto del sol hotel/resort in Puerto Vallarta before the rates jumped for Christmas week. I had been a timeshare owner there for twenty four years but that had expired, so this time we purchased an all-inclusive week. It used to be that the Canto del sol was not all-inclusive, but most guests, even with an option to not do so, go with the all-inclusive. For the best rates, it seems best to consult TripAdvisor and to compare pricing on Orbitz, Expedia,Canto del sol, and other websites. This time, we purchased through Orbitz which had a discount going on.
The taxi from the airport costs 195 pesos or 18 US dollars, and you purchase the voucher or ticket for this at the last windows by the exit doors just before walking outside from the terminal. Taking a return cab from the hotel to the airport costs 80 pesos or approximately 8 US dollars.
We paid in US dollars every time we needed to pay for anything on the trip.
Canto del sol has a very nice pool, a pretty lobby, a buffet restaurant open all day, three on site restaurants: an Italian one, a Mexican one, and a grill. For each two nights of all-inclusive, guests are able to reserve at one of the restaurants. Our preferred one was the Italian, so we went there twice. If you like coffee, you may wish to order the Spanish coffee which is prepared at your table with a lot of flame and fare.
The evening shows are at 8 p.m. outside. Each has a different theme and is presented by the activities staff. These shows usually consist of dancing and lip synching. There is also a BINGO night. Friday night is their Mexican fiesta with and outdoor buffet, games played for play pesos followed by an auction, and then the evening dance program.
The staff at Canto del sol is one of their best assets they have there, as everyone is friendly, likeable, and very willing to assist you. This is probably one of the major reasons that my family and I have continued to return.
The large pool area is the main spot with activities offered throughout the day. The pool bar offers a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, but when ordering for children be sure to say “SIN LICOR” or you may encounter your child making a strange face upon taking a first sip.
The beach area is average for Puerto Vallarta. The hotel has a section of lounge chairs roped off. Vendors are usually on the other side of these ropes selling their wares all day long.
MEGA is one of two different stores that are a sort of Walmart that are in walking distance of he hotel. This one is located about five blocks from the resort and is where one can go for groceries and the like.
The hotel also has a tennis facility formerly known as the John Newcombe Club. There are four outdoor clay courts and four covered hard courts. With the all-inclusive, guests may reserve an hour a day.
Individual tipping is up to the guest, but we left a tip on the bed each day for the cleaning ladies, and a dollar or two on the table each time we ate at the buffet, and more when eating at the restaurants requiring a reservation. We also would give any waiter bringing us beverages from the pool bar at least a dollar before we left.
While conversing with different workers during the week, I found out that the average wage for many of them is equal to 6 US dollars per day. For those dealing directly with hotel guests, any tips were in addition to this. It is a good idea to take along a lot of one-dollar bills for tipping, but it is also considered lucky by many to have a two-dollar bill. So, that may be something to request when going to the bank before travelling to Mexico.
Should you accept the timeshare breakfast invitation? That is a good question. We have done so twice at Canto del sol in recent years, but only because of the incentives. The first time was a few years ago when we were there but did not have the all-inclusive. We were offered massages and 50% off the all-inclusive rate per day. That got us to try the all-inclusive, and the all-inclusive reservation became our preference upon returning a year or two later. This last time my daughter again wanted the free massage so I agreed to listen and to go through the motions.
In the end, though, I caution everyone and advise not to not sign anything there. Taking notes during the presentation is a good idea and helps clarify what is being offered. It would not be a bad idea to ask the salesperson to initial your notes after discussing them once again together. This reconfirms what was promised as part of the purchase and helps avoid misunderstandings. If you are told that this is the only day or time that the offer can be made to you, it is in your best interest to disregard this statement and say that you cannot make the decision on the spot. Leaving without buying is best.
Then, if you are actually interested, you can research the offer on the internet by googling for information concerning any purchase of type you are considering. (The hotel has a computer room for free usage that has two laptops.) Finally, there is supposedly a Mexican law that gives you only five days to rescind any purchase of this kind. That being said, we like Canto del sol and feel comfortable there but prefer not to have any contracts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the center of Puerto Vallarta’s hotel zone, right on Banderas Bay, breathtaking sunsets draw visitors and locals alike to the evening display. Canto del Sol’s colonial-style resort offers guests outstanding value, with an extensive All-Inclusive Program that features: a championship Tennis Club with four outdoor clay courts and four covered Laykol courts; windsurfing; water polo; tequila volleyball; and dance lessons. Guests can choose a vacation as active or as relaxed as they like.The sparkling turquoise water of Mexico’s Pacific Riviera caresses the beachfront of CANTO DEL SOL PLAZA VALLARTA. This perfect vacation resort offers an atmosphere of Fun, Tradition and Tranquility, where guests have everything for their wonderful Puerto Vallarta holiday. Escape from the ordinary, and discover this magnificent oceanfront resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Puerto Vallarta
- Canto Del Sol Vallarta