“Great Hotel, Great Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
PETERSFIELD
“Great Hotel, Great Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was an incentive win for a group from our company and the resort was recommended to us- over and above many 5 star resorts- and it did not disappoint. The rooms were wonderful - the staff terrific, the location - great. Stayed at 2 different Barcelos in the past two years in two different areas of Mexico - and would recommend this one over either of them always.
This resort is run properly- it caters to everyone- not just select groups, goes out of it's way to include everyone in it's friendliness. It's safe.It's secure. It's fun. It's at a midway point betwen the airport and the townsite. You can walk to PV from the hotel, 5.00 by cab, we have taken the bus- it's mid-point between everywhere it seems.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lori P
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Guest Relations Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest of Canto Del Sol,

We really appreciate all your comments and your evaluation.

Thank you so much for sharing your recent vacation experience. It’s very pleasant for us to know that you enjoyed your stay. We’re going to share your comment with all our staff because you are the reason that our employees in the resort work very hard and always with a smile.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again here in your home away from home, Canto Del Sol.

Please feel free to contact us at guestserv@cantodelsol.com

Sincerely yours

The Assistant to the General Manager on behalf of the Canto Del Sol Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Czech first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Canto del Sol from April 9th to April 23rd. I did my homework before we left Vancouver so I was not expecting the Ritz. I wanted a budget hotel with good reviews and was not disappointed.

I was very pleased with the cleanliness of the resort and the friendly staff. All of the staff were very friendly and cooperative at all times. The beds were perfect in comfort. When we asked to be transferred to another room with a room safe, we were quickly moved with no hassle. When the safe in our new room did not work properly it was taken care of almost immediately. We could always get change with no problem unlike some hotels I have stayed at in PV.

I am somewhat particular about what I eat and I can safely say that I was pleased with the selection at all times. One could always find food to suit taste. The a la carte meals were presently beautifully and the waiters very professional.

The vendors on the beach were very pleasant to deal with and did not bother us at all. It was very enjoyable to sit at the beach all day and have the waiter bring drinks.

My only complaint is the drinks - hello!? Where is the good tequila? I could hardly get the margaritas down and had to switch to Pina Coladas which were not much better. Even the cheapest of tequila 100% agave would be better that that. Was it real tequila?

A huge bonus in staying there was that we met many fine people from Canada also, and especially our friends here in Vancouver. It helped make the trip very enjoyable. We had great fun with them. A big hug to all of you if you are reading this.

We did not stick around for the nightly shows so I can't comment on them. There is far too much to do in town.

I would definitely recommend the Canto del Sol to anyone who appreciates as I did, all of above. I may even return there myself one day with my family, if I can get them to budge.

Congratulations to the management and staff for a job well done!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LovestoDance_12
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

me and my two other buddies went down for the week of april 15th to the 22nd and had an awesome time! the events cooridinator Ozi was a great time he showed us where the parties where and always was getting people convinced to do the activities throughout the day!! had an awesome time cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bullhead City, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Canto del Sol was pretty nice, twenty years ago, but suffers from neglect and insufficient maintenance. In the twenty years I have been a timeshare owner at the resort, there have been NO improvements to unit 705. The markings which show if the electric stove burners are on or off, or at what temperature have long since been worn off. The living room furniture has not been changed and the couch (hide a way bed) sags to make it nearly impossible to stand from a seated position. The room is dated and as a result it is difficult to clean to modern standards, although the house keeping staff does their best. Since the resort has gone all inclusive the bar serves small watered down drinks to all, including those who pay for them. The food is average at best, and the other amenities are as well.

The membership sales pitch for the "Vacation Club" is a complete misrepresentation. I know, I put out over six thousand dollars to discover that the program is not at all as described. By the time you try to book your next stay and you discover your mistake the time limit to challenge your credit card purchase has expired and you are left holding the bag.

I love Puerto Vallarta and stay there three to four weeks a year, but I will not be back to Canto Del Sol.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DF B
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We returned from Canto Del Sol on April 9, 2013 and here is my review.
If you look at their link below

The advertisement is VERY inaccurate

THE CONS!

This hotel is NOT a 5 star, I have stayed at many 5 star all over Mexico and this is 3.5 at best.
The say “state of the art fitness”…..this is NOT the case, all they have in their SMALL fitness room is 2 bikes that do not barley work and one is held together with duct tape.
The rest of the equipment is free weights and a small circuit area that is also held together with tape.
The beds are VERY hard!!!
The food is mediocre, they really need a variety, you get sick of fried beans everyday(
The snack bar needs more of a variety, nachos, pizza and hotdogs EVERDAY is bland!
Rooms are a bit dated and old

THE PROS!

It is very safe at the hotel.
Staff is AMAZING…super friendly and helpful.
The ones who shined for us:
Pool waiter Jorge was outstanding!!!!! ALWAYS helpful and smiling and kind!!!!
Entertainment staff, J.C was fun
Lobby staff: Alexandria was excellent, very helpful and kind, really went out of her way for us!!
Waiters: Ramon, Fernando and Dario were nice!

If you are going for a week or two and get a SUPER GOOD deal then I say yes!!!
But its not a five star

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DanniCanada
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

First time in Puerto Vallarta and my friends and I had a blast, one of our most memorable trips. New faces that turned into friendship bonds and special thanks goes out to activities supervisor Oziel (aka Oz) for taking us out every night and showing us the crazy nightlife this place has to offer. Our next visit will most definitely be because of his positive attitude and fun personality. He's also got a few tricks up his sleeve.. break dancing and magic tricks to name a couple. Canto Del Sol, you'll love it.

- L.N.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bienfait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had a great time at this hotel, what made it so fun was definitely the activities supervisor, Oziel. We had fun playing volleyball with him, dancing out on the town and enjoying his magic tricks.

Did not enjoy that they didn't supply bottled water in the rooms, and it is a very small hotel,

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have fridges, so you may want to ask for one with
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple