“Pleaseant experience”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #30 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went to this Canto del Sol in late 2011 and had a great time. The people were friendly and never hard to find. There was plenty of interactive entertainment both day and evening. The food was also very fresh and deliciously authentic. It is adjacent to the beach and security is unintrusive but ever present
I recommend this place as it is also within walking distance to many shops.
You will have a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GaryVillaobos
Write a ReviewReviews (2,637)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had an excellent deal on Hotel 14 days, great stay. Pool server George was one of the best, always quick to say” why not” along with Alex in the buffet restaurant who always made sure we had everything we needed and got my clubhouse sandwich everyday for me. All the staff made sure we had everything needed to make a great vacation. The specialty restaurants were excellent too, the after dinner coffees were very entertaining, no need to go elsewhere for a meal. Rooms were clean and comfortable. An all over great experience! We will return, loved our room #199 at the end of the hall, nice and quiet, another great West Jet trip from Comox, BC

Room Tip: This was close to everything, bus stops.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Doug S
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Well here we go. I'm a slow typist and I hope I can finish before I need to go.
I stayed at Canto del sol for a week in mid November. I'm a solo traveller- middle aged.
This is my 7th time in Mexico- usually in Puerto Vallarta-it's the cheapest and hotter than the inside (Cancun and area). Why do I always look for a deal? Why don't I stay at the 5 stars? I can afford it.
It hit me this time, as one lady said, the food at these 3+1/2 or 4 star places is more authentic Mexican, more flavor. Every meal had a choice of a couple of fishes, a pork or 2, a chicken or 2 and a beef or 2. And each one was delicious and different, The buffet had tons of fresh veggies (mexican ones like cactus and coyote and names I can't remember) and fruit that would cost a mint to buy in Canada. Every meal had 2 soups. One was a cream of and the other a more brothlike one. I don't eat soup as a rule, but ate a bowl every lunch and supper. It was different each meal.
There were 2 choises of fruit juice each meal, ones you could't get up here like watermelon, tamarind, and yamika, which I believe is hibiscus. The desserts were also great. I can't remember the names of them- one was a walnut cake.
I never went to the ala carte restaurent, as the buffet was so good. Plus I didn't feel like being formal or sitting in a fancy type environement.
My room was satisfactory. I faced the pool and the ocean. The beds were great. No complaints about the hardness, To me they were better than my own one at home. There was never an issue about noise. A large group of boys came for 3 days or so for a soccer tournament. It may have bothered some, but not me. It felt like I was in Mexico. The kids had a great time.
There was a nice mix of people -families, couples, singles of all ages, and seniors. Most people were interested in socializing with others who sought out communication. In the same vein if you wanted you privacy, you had it.
The staff was, I must say the warmest and most helpful of any mexican trip. And they seemed to be that way genuinely. There was something about the place that I can't put into words. It just felt great.
The drinks were great and they had a wide variety of brand name hard liquor, including 4 or 5 different type of tequila. The beer was on tap (brown and blonde) and it was pretty good.
Yes it's true you can sometimes see dolphins from the shore swimming by around 8 am. I saw some when I took out a kayak ( about a half mile out)
So yes I would recommend this hotel. If there is something less than wonderful about Canto del sol you can change your attitude and see goodness in it. At least that was my experience. I should add that I'm easy to please, but a bit particular.
I hope your stay wil be as great as mine. Get ready for a delicious taste bud experience. Eat and drink and be merry. I miss the heat. One needs a couple or 3 Tshirts a day as they get wet with sweat. I love the heat.

Enjoy.......Bill

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
15  Thank Billinvictoria
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed at the Canto from November 10-20th. My first stay in PV.
Check in was smooth except for the time share push by customer service. Not a big deal though.
My room was clean and comfortable. I found the air conditioning was barely adequate. You felt the coolness as you walked into room but i found myself sleeping on top of the covers at night.
I found the food to be ok, nothing great. I am used to the mega resorts on the mayan riviera side i guess i have been spoiled by that. So i found a lack of selection.I also found the food catered to the locals more. The best food in PV are off the resorts anyway at all the great restaurants and bars.
The pool area was nice and the beach area was very small. This is definately a family oriented resort. I am a solo traveler and didn't see many singles. Lots of nice people though from local and Canada/US.
The worst part was when bus loads of kids and families showed up for an annual soccer tournament in PV. The quiet hotel became very noisy in one day. Kids running all over. Will have to remember that if i travel here in November again.
The best part of this resort is by far the service. Whether it is at reception, in the buffets, or at the pool bar, the staff always did a great job. Special thanks to Jorge, Rolando and Gilran.
I probably wouldn't come back to this resort as i like to try new ones every time i travel. But a nice stay in PV, thanks Canto del Sol.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MrPostie99
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed at this resort 3 times over the past 4 - 5 years and it's very good for a 3*. And it is definitely worth it if you get a deal. If you pay over $1,000/person that's way too much and you might as well go for a higher end resort for the same price. Despite that the food is good (both at the buffet (1) and al ecarte (1), the service is excellent, the pool (1) is clean but if too many kids at the resort it becomes quite loud, the one cantina at the pool (includes a swim up bar) is decent (lobby bar never seems to be open for business), very quiet evening atmosphere so not rowdy .... the beach is almost non-existent. This resort was built many years ago, and well maintained I might add, but it was built too close to the beach and over the years there is less beach. In fact, there is hardly any beach at all. Where one puts the lawn chair is so close to the brick wall of the resort that the sun hardly hits you. Like I said, if you get a cost deal there like I have the odd time, it is well worth it. If you don't get a deal on your all inclusive, it's worth spending the extra $100 - $300 and you get much, much more for your money than at this place.

close proximity to the Malecon (short taxi ride or a 1/2 hour plus walk)and , consistent with the service and quality. It is above a 3* and "close" to a 4*not a The food is good

Room Tip: As there are very few rooms facing the ocean, like almost none, the best location I have had is on t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Visited in 2006, had a wonderful time. Rooms were clean, service was great, air conditioning in the room adequate. Food was excellent at all resturaunts on the property. Was very cheap for a cab to the boardwalk at night, convenient little market just outside of the resort, staff very friendly!! Would visit again :-)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you play tennis, must stay here. 4 hard courts, 4 clay courts - 7 am to 9 pm.
1 hour free per day or if you go off peak -and is quiet you can stay longer. If you go alone. you can either book times with pros - $40 per hour -they charge but you can negotiate rates or you can try to find players . lots of canadians staying for 1-6 months who stay at other resorts that come there. Yada, Sarai are very freindly and they get to know you and call you by name. Pros, Paola, Danny, Leonardo are happy to coach or play with you..

Room Tip: facing tennis courts if you want to see if any activies.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple