“Nice rooms”

Ranked #31 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Roanoke, Virginia
“Nice rooms”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We did not go the "all inclusive" just for the reason that we like to try local and be selective and freedom of choice. Since we used a time share this particular hotel/villa resort had the option where most others do not. There were 12 family members all from the ages of 50 to 3. Entertainment is ok. When we stayed on grounds we had a lot of fun with each other. Location is great for taking the bus into the marina or city center. Grocery only a couple blocks away. We went the first day. (Mega). the name. Housekeeping every day. The rooms were very clean. There's a tax at the end of check out for every room, I didn't know about. Only tried the food once, really bad. Grounds very clean and groomed. Pool side is usually noisy but settles around midnight. We had our wallet stolen at one of the activities and were allowed to call our 800# on their phone. That's it. No other help. Very disappointing.
The beach is not good either. You can take a nice walk on the beach, beware of rocks and stuff. Oh...expect to pay about $40 to $50 for a van to hotel.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms face south overlooking roofs and a tennis court. Pool side is nice but loud. Balcony is...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rosa I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Czech first
Kentucky
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We traveled to Puerto Vallarta in 2006 with family and friends for our very first all-inclusive experience. Though the hotel was probably only 2 or 3 stars at the most, the staff was definately 5 star! They were all so gracious and caring. Almost all were multi-lingual and extremely helpful in guiding us about selecting tours and activities, places to visit in town and tips on communicating with other service providers outside of the hotel.
The food on the buffet was good, but not very exotic or impressive. The two reservation resteraunts were very hard to get into and a bit disappointing once we did. Pool was beautiful and clean, but the beach was small, narrow and not very inviting. . Plus it was swarming with vendors with little restraint from hotel security. The staff put on great entertainment activities and games such as bartending classes, volleyball tournaments, etc. Rooms were nice and clean also. Spa was small but fantastic! Very cheap & very good 70 minute massages...around $25-$30, if I remember correctly.
I would reccommend this hotel to 'beginners' or spring breakers who might be on a budget. I would also reccommend going to the Argentinian resteraunt in old town at least one night, if not two! To sum it up; great staff & service, great pool and activities, mediocre beach and food, great central location to old town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank jennlu
Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 8, 2012

After reading other reviews, I was a little nervous about our upcoming trip. There was no need to be though. The place is not a 5 star resort, but the staff is friendly, the facilities kept clean, and the food was good. We had nothing to complain about and had a great time. If you're looking for luxury, go somewhere else. If you're looking for a great experience at a great price, this just might be the place for you. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jacki2385
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2012

They need to up date their photos. Went for xmas and it was a complete waste of money for the resort. booked 4 months prior and my kids were not even on the same wing. Staff was great, food was bad, same thing every day. Room smelt like sewage looked into another hotel. maid service was bad. smokers smoking in the pool and in the non smoking area.The beach was a joke, and the venders came right up to you in the roped off area. The security should be keeping away.

Room Tip: don't waste your money, go to a different resort
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank zoe g
Novi, MI
Reviewed January 6, 2012

The best thing about Canto Del Sol was the independent tour operator across the street--PEDRO! He told us about the massage facility Hendersons (also across the street along with several other not as good ones). If you go there, go with Pedro to introduce you. We had several excellent massages of 75 min. for $20 US. The work they did on my knees made it possible for me to do more towards the end of the week...as I came limping from a motor scooter accident the month prior.
Prego Rest. across the street had great creamed soups!
Yelapa is not for the old and sore! Lots of walking up hills and cobblestone streets. OUCH. We did enjoy the little restaurant where you get off the water taxi...Belgian chocolate brownies and great salad with the BEST papaya I ever ate.
The beach at the condo was a big disappointment, and the fact that there was NO hot tub in our two bedroom condo OR anywhere on the property was unbelievable to me. We had THREE Jacuzzis in the condo in Dom. Republic and more in the public areas!
Rooms were kept clean and handicapped mom was not disturbed at Canto Del Sol. Close to the buses if you want to save on cab fare. Felt very safe there...but went out during the daytime.
Pushy about the FREE breakfast which we didn't choose to attend. They chase you down when you come out of the elevator every morning. Come on folks...if you really think I would EVER consider buying a timeshare that doesn't have a whirlpool...dream on!
Moved to Dreams after our week in brother's timeshare RCI trade was over and LOVED IT. Spent a lot of time off the property that week and overall really enjoyed our trip. The massage place SAVED THE DAY!! I would never have been able to afford so much work on my knees at home or anywhere I've been. This was the best part of the vacation, other than catching 44" yellow fin tuna on the fishing trip Pedro set up for us! We ate it two nights at Dreams in excellent recipes their chefs prepared for us!
The balcony off our room barely held the white plastic chairs.
This should not be a gold crown --somebody tell RCI!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank MItravelerwithmom
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Hola! We stayed at this resort from Dec.28/11 until Jan. 4/12 and we had a great time. We were traveling in a group (27 people) for my husband and my wedding that took place at Las Caletas. We had booked this resort because it fit with our travel dates perfectly and was one of the lowest prices in our options.

ROOMS: Check in was a bit disorganized and some of the people in our group were disappointed in their rooms. I guess if you stay here you just have to keep in mind that 1/2 of the rooms at the hotel do not have a good view and if you are lucky enough to get a room with a good view you should be quite thankful. My husband and I ended up in a room with two double beds even though our travel agent had sent a special request that was outlined that we were a bride and a groom. We didn't mind as we are pretty laid back people and understood that there were no other rooms available. Luckily my sister in law had a room with a kitchenette, king bed, and a great view and she was nice enough to offer to trade with us. The rooms are basic, but very clean. We did not mind as we did not spend much time in our room anyway.

FOOD: I would say that the food at this resort is quite good. I enjoyed the sandwiches that were available at the buffet during lunch. The snack bar was also a good place to grab a quick bite to eat and our group often met here. The only area of concern in terms of the food at this resort would be to make sure that meat you are eating is cooked sufficiently. I received a chicken sandwich that was not cooked as well as a hamburger. Two people in our group got sick and believe that food was the cause. Breakfast at the snack bar was my favorite meal of the day. The omlettes here are delicious and the service is great. The food during the new years eve gala was quite good. Our entire group was impressed with it and we had an amazing time. We tried the Italian and Mexican A La Carte's they were both very good. The one thing that I noticed though was that both times we visited the A La Carte, it was not full. There are very limited numbers of seats here so if you want to eat at one of these make sure you book in advance.

We had our welcome dinner at the Italian A La Carte and it was delicious! I arranged this through Monica who is in charge of food/beverage services. It was a perfect start to our vacation.

DRINKS: The drinks at this resort were also quite good. Our group spent much time indulging in drinks and sitting by the snack bar. The drinks did not seem too watered down but the tequilla is pretty poor quality. We figured out that you can order "premium" alcohol in your drinks at night. For instance, you could have a pina colada with bacardi rum at no extra cost. This is not advertised and we didn't find this out until our last day.

PARTY/DISCO: There is no disco at this resort but if you want to party there are buses arranged to take you to the bar on certain days. No one in our group did this as we found a kareokee bar just up the street from our hotel where we went and partied 2 nights. Buckets of beer are cheap at this bar. If you wanted to go to the bar on a night where there was nothing arranged it would probably be pretty simple. You would just need to catch a taxi and ask them to take you downtown, this would cost $50 pesos there and $50 pesos back and it would not be hard to find a bar to hang out in.

SERVICE: Service was exceptional at this resort. I never spent more than 5 minutes without a drink in my hand. The staff at this resort are all friendly and welcoming. Some of the staff do not speak English well but are very friendly and do their best to accommodate you.

ATMOSPHERE: The overall atmosphere and feel of this resort was very relaxed and calm.I enjoyed the atmosphere and it is evident that this resort is different from others. We had stayed at the Royal Decameron Complex before and we loved it there as well. We returned to have photos taken and I could not get over how busy the beach and the pool area was. Canto Del Sol is a small resort with a laid back feel to it. The beach here is not great but tolerable. If you walk down the beach there are better spots to swim. I am honestly not sure why so many people complain about the beach though, it was fine, and if you don't like it you can go in the massive pool.

ACTIVITIES: We spent a few days relaxing and lying by the pool/beach. The kids enjoyed swimming in the ocean and using the boogie boards that they had (there are only 2 so make sure you ask for them). My husband and I were married at Las Caletas so we were able to spend the day there. Other group members went back to Las Caletas and would definitely recommend it. My husband and I rented a PINK scooter from a rental place that is just up the road from this resort. It was FANTASTIC. I would definitely recommend doing this if you are comfortable driving. We went to Boca and to Mismaloya beach which was absolutely amazing.

The only real disappointment that I felt when staying at this resort was that the I did not get to see more than one nightly show. The shows take place around 8pm each night and we were usually eating dinner at this time. I remember that the shows at Royal Decameron were fantastic and I looked forward to them each night.

Overall, we had an amazing trip. I think it made a difference that were were with our family and friends and we are all very laid back people. With this resort, I think that you must keep in mind that it is not luxurious. If you want luxury stay at a resort/villa closer to Mismaloya or you will not be satisfied. If you are looking for a fun, laid back resort and a clean room to sleep in, Canto Del Sol will meet your expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank erin o
Anoka, Minnesota
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The little turtles, 89 of them, hatched from eggs that were buried right by the walkway to the beach! The hotel scooped them up and rescued them, and they were turned in to environmental protection. The little babies got a police escort to the the hatchery for 15 days of coddling before being released in their proper waterway!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sandra W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!