“Nice hotel... Not the greatest beach”

Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Trail, Canada
“Nice hotel... Not the greatest beach”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I thought this hotel was nice. The staff and service was excellent and I was pleased with the food and selection. It was slightly repetitive, but that's not a big deal, I'm not a picky eater so it was great for me. Try the ice cream, it's fantastic! Unfortunately they stop serving alcohol at midnight, but they do have a good selection of drinks. For people who like to party this is not the resort. We were asked on several occasions to be quiet in the evening when we were hanging out around the pool and we were asked to go back to our rooms or the beach. The rooms were decent. The back side of the hotel isn't great for views, pretty much roof tops and tennis courts and construction. If you like tennis, there's 7 courts i believe. But the gym was nothing like the picture they showed, dissapointed with that. The beach is probably the worst part of this hotel. It's super small, steep and the waves and under tow are very violent at times. The roped off section for guests is very small and Vendors sit in front of you all day and try to get your attention. There are lots of organized activities if you care to participate. I had a 1am flight back and when you checked out of your room that morning they kept your bags in a safe area for you so you could spend the rest of the day relaxing and you could use the tennis showers at any time. If you aren't big on beaches and booze this is a great resort for relaxing beside the pool and meeting people and the sunsets were fantastic. If the beach was better I would go back, but next time will be somewhere with late bar service and a beautiful beach ;)

Room Tip: Go Garden suite/ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank BCJade888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Czech first
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Love the all inclusive, its the only way to go! We went with a nother couple, had two rooms. The hotel was clean, beds were good, breakfast at the beach front was fabulous every morning! The staff went out of their way to help with anything we needed. Stayed two weeks food was great all the restaurants, shows were good and the games were fun. Can't waite to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Debbie U
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stayed in the Canto del Sol in March with my family in 4 separate rooms. My dad really wanted to try an all inclusive. The rooms were clean enough. The food was somewhat edible... I ate salad every day for lunch. In the evening they usually had a table to the side where they carved meat (pork) onto soft flour wraps and you could add your on toppings. These were delicious and I ate them every night. The rest of the food was heavy and very average. The drinks were good... nothing wrong with them. The service we received at the pool was outstanding. Soooo, I wouldn't go back. I don't think I'm an "all inclusive" sort of person, but it was ok for a family if you're ok with just average food.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank coolauntie
Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We have stayed at the Canto Del Sol many times (it was formerly Plaza Vallarta and then Continental Plaza), most recently in January, 2011. It has been well mantained, and is very clean. Guests feel safe, and the staff go out of their way to help you. One of us required medical attention during our last visit, and the concierge arranged for a doctor from the American Hosptal to come to our room. The location is good - about midway between the marina and downtown - and one can easily walk to either place. There are several restaurants, cafes, shops and services across the street. There are pool activities during the day and live shows in the evening. The all inclusive fare is quite good, alhough with so many fabulous restaurants downtown, it would be a shame to stay on site for all meals.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank vette77
Saskatoon
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A group of us went to the Canto Del Sol in feb 2011. We enjoyed all of it, the food was great
the service was excellant and the people were very friendly. Thanks to Pablo who works the lobby bar he makes a awsome ceasar. The pool was nice and the activities were great.
The rooms were excellant very clean . The view from the beach was great, got to see a whale
jump out of the water for along time one morning. We will be back in 2012.
The check in was fast and great service from the guest desk also.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a fridge
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank tan-boy56
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I went to Canto Del Solo on my families "final family trip" as we are all getting older now. I had never been to Mexico before and was very interested to see what it was like. I was 18 at the time, travelling with my parents, younger sister and older brother. The location was beautiful. You look out at the ocean and mountains surrounded the hotels and the sun would rise inbetween them. Very beautiful. Its located in a cove so every morning at 11am Whales would come into the cove with their babies. Amazing site.

The staff was amazing. Walked around during the day just to get to know you. As a young lady I found a lot of the men staff would hit on you. A security guard even asked my 15 year old sister for her phone number. We made a game out of it and didn't let it bother us however. The mixed of guests was amazing. Everyone was so friendly. My older brother has turettes syndrome and everyone including staff made an extra effort with him. Everyone started calling him the mayor of Mexico because he talked with everyone there! The friends we made I still keep in contact with.

The activities are all along the beach infront of the hotel. I went parasailing once, great experience. I went sea-doing until I pulled all the muscles in my stomach.The beach vendors cut great deals. They have great jewlery vendors if your looking for beautiful jewlery. My mom and sister and me bought something each day. They would ask you everytime you walked by but a "no thank you" was all you needed for them to leave you alone.

I went into town one day and it was only a ten minute cab ride. 5 Dollars American. The cab drivers would tell you all about the city and great locations in it. The stores in the city has great quality stuff for cheapppp prices. One day of shopping is all you need. You can find all your trinkets in one store! Lovely site seeing in the city. The buildings were beautiful.

Another great part of Canto del Sol is the avalibilty. They have two buildings. The main one and the secondary one, a one minute walk behind it. It was still an awesome building. Still great views. The 5 minute walk to the beach did not bother me. The second building was a lot quieter. A lot of our friends were in that building and if you book late you can still get into the hotel. You can use everything in the main hotel. The italian resturant is in the second building (EXCELLENT) and another pool. Very private and beautiful.

Also I didn't go out of the hotel as it was a family bounding trip but for young people they offer 30 dollar american tickets for a bus ride, free entrance and all you can drink at clubs. A different one each night. Amazing if you want to go out!

The only cons about this hotel was at 12, it seemed like the whole resort shut down. Both bars closed and the lights in the pool area went off. Also the beach is small, stayed at the pool which was fine, a bit crowded. Had to race for chairs. Normal all inclusive stuff. Thanks Mom for getting the chairs every morning! Also the beach is rocky. Still beautiful and full of sea life. Even saw a turtle!

Overall an amazing trip! Recommend it to anyone! Going again this december and can not wait!

Room Tip: Talk to the reseptionist. They are so helpful!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank AlexandraaT
California
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Trip: Quick 5 day trip to Canto Del Sol with a good friend of mine.

PV Airport: typical timeshare people being rude and classless, but did learn one thing about Canto Del Sol in this regard. Just after checkin we had to go another counter to pick up our towel cards. This is where we had to sign a paper that declared that we did not enter into any timeshare deal with anyone else up to this point and that if we did at any point CDS would match any such offer. We did not get any timeshare pressure, but did meet a couple of people that used this situation to "fatten" an offer that they had indeed gotten from people at the airport. They were happy with the deal, but I can't stand that high pressure stuff at all.

Room: Bathroom on the small side, but more than fine. Most rooms seemed to have a balcony, but ours did not (we didn't need one anyways). A/C is very weak. At no point did I get under my covers during the entire stay. Most nights I woke up hot. No ceiling fan! Just that little touch would have made our time in the room (sleeping) much more pleasant. Seems trivial, but this resort had clocks in the rooms. All other places that I've stayed haven't had one. Nice sized flat screen TV with a good assortment of channels for morning viewing. Easy to use in-room safe was nice. I was never woken by loud noises at night. We had a room facing the pool and a decent view of the ocean. Beds are very uncomfortable and combine that with the poor air ventilation that equals a poor nights sleep.

Beach: 7 palapas total - beach is the worst one I've ever seen - very rocky - little sand area - the whole "beach" is around 70 yards long. We walked towards the Malecon one morning and saw maybe 10 people during our hour long walk up the beach and our hour long trip down mainstreet. Later towards the end we took a cab to the markets for 6 US dollars, much better choice.

Areas around Canto Del Sol: people bugging you everywhere to do one of their tours. Pharmacy, liquor store, and places to buy souvenirs very close. Ice cream shop too. Looked to have night time dancing and stuff very close.

Resort in general: This is a family resort and 90%+ of the guests are Spanish only speaking natives. It was fun meeting some of them with many doing their best to speak the other's languages, but it sure would have been great to have a more balanced group of Canadians, Mexicans, Americans.....etc. Beginning on Thursday the locals come in in groves for a 4-day vacation. If you go here to party you are going to be very upset.

Food: Los Peces is a snack shack by the back of the property that serves the following: chicken and beef tacos (deep fried and extra crispy), nachos, hotdogs, hamburgers, and a few other things that I don't recall. The buffet is very small and when the place is packed there is a line. For our last breakfast we had to wait 25 minutes to enter the buffet. Ironically, that was the worst of all meals. It was not good at all. The choices are very limited at all meals. The theme of the meals vary daily. The best was the Asian. The rest was okay to bad. There was also a small fruit area. If there was a line (which most times there was) getting eggs cooked took a long time. Los Peces stays open until midnight I believe. Oh, has pizza there too. Not bad pizza either.

Pool: one pool - medium sized - with families everywhere - kids jumping in next to you and splashing pool water in your drink (never a line to go to the bathroom if you know what I mean so it was onto ordering another drink) - swim up bar was normally packed - pool was cleaned every morning - cooler water temperature in the early mornings and down right hot later in the day - nice ledges to sit back and enjoy a drink

Bar: bartenders there work their tails off and do the best that they can. Most times the wait time is not that bad, sometimes it was a long wait. From 10 am until 6 pm there is only one place to get drinks (pool bar). At 6 pm the lobby bar opens up and runs til midnight. Then the resort basically closes down.

Activities: Pool volleyball, poolside poker and ping-pong tournaments, kids splash contest, water polo, and water exercising

Grounds and Safety: grounds in great shape and clean - security gaurds numerous and constantly moving around.

Front staff/workers: This is probably it's best attribute. Everybody was super nice and everything was easy and smooth.

I would not choose this resort ever again. It was fine in many regards, but didn't meet our expecations at all with the type of guests and the number of services offered (food, drinks, etc....)

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank ExtremeTravel17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta? Share your experiences!