“Getting married- A groom's point of view”
Review of Hotel Playa Fiesta

Hotel Playa Fiesta
Ranked #1 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed August 2, 2012

When my (future) wife showed me the Playa Fiesta on the internet, I was very skeptical. I was worried about booking something without having seen it in person. You never know if pictures on the internet are true representations of the place, you worry about the food, etc. I finally agreed to get married there because the price was great and if the hotel was truly represented on the website, it would be a great location (and if it didn't go well, I could just blame it all on my wife).

All of my worries ended once we arrived. Upon arrival, we were offered drinks, shown to our room, then taken on a tour of the hotel. The rooms were all amazing. We had agonized over room assignments, and once we got there, we felt the weight of the world fall from our shoulders. We knew that no one would be disappointed with any room there. They were all that nice!

The hotel has wireless internet available in the pool/bar area, which worked out nicely for our group. A few of our guests had to work and we were worried that they'd miss out on the fun. Since there is no internet access in the rooms, they were able to sit outside and work poolside. It made their work more bearable. We brought a laptop for our guests to use and left it on the bar so anyone could hop on and check email, Facebook or whatever they needed to do. Every night, the bartender that closed up the bar also put the laptop away- then it was brought out for us the next morning. Everyone loved having it there. The lack of internet in the rooms was really a non-issue since our guests only slept in their rooms. The rest of the time, our entire party was down in the pool/bar area.

The staff was incredibly nice and welcoming. The Playa Fiesta has an open bar from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. for the wedding week. I was worried what their definition of "open bar" was because of that fact that it was included in the room rate. Again, you never know. To our delight, the open bar was truly an open bar and getting drinks was easy. The bartenders were constantly making sure everyone was happy and always had a drink in hand. They knew the names of everyone in our group, knew their favorite drink and kept them all full and happy. All of our guests had the best time.

We had 80 people to entertain, so we didn't once go into town to eat. The food at the Playa Fiesta was great. Every morning, there was a buffet ready for our guests. At night, we had the tacos for two (for our group) at least 3 nights. The dinner on the wedding night was great as well. Everyone talked about how great the food was.

The wedding day was well planned and went off without any problems. Lindsay and her US helper Melissa did a great job of helping my wife plan the wedding. As a guy, I wanted to do as little of the planning as possible, so it was very helpful to have Lindsay and Melissa work with my wife. I can't imagine our wedding going any better. I didn't have to stress out about anything- in fact, I was in the pool until about an hour before the wedding!

Adam and Lindsay are both amazing. They helped us have the best wedding (week) we could ever want or imagine.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank EricO90254

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Let me begin by saying, I am not a fan of Mexico. It is nothing personal, but living on the East Coast, I find Mexico to be way too far away, and sometimes a little "sketchy." However, I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a dear friends wedding at Playa Fiesta, and I can tell you it was pretty amazing. Their service was top notch, the grounds beautiful, and the wedding fantastic. I can assure the reader of this review that Playa Fiesta lives up entirely to its expectations. We always look back at this trip with fondness.
Two quick things to note.... 1. The Ocean is not a swimming ocean; it is one of the rockiest beaches I have ever seen, cold and pretty treacherous. 2. I found it tough to go off the beaten path in this area, the hotel is pretty secluded.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife, 7-year old daughter, 5-year old son and I took a family trip here in April, over Spring Break, and could not be happier with our decision. In looking at all of the glowing reviews on the site, we didn't see too many from families, so we were concerned that maybe it was only a good place for wedding parties and large events. Fortunately when we came, there was not a wedding planned, and it turned into one of our most special holiday hotels ever.

We stayed in one of the 3BR rooms on the top floor, and the bedrooms were all spacious, the wrap-around decks had amazing views, the air conditioning blew nice and cold, the bathrooms were huge (especially the walk-in, 3-head shower room!), the beds were comfy, the furnishings were unique, the TVs (which we didn't use much) were new, the cleaning staff was meticulous with their cleaning, and the bathroom products were very nice.

Being honest, we had moderate expectations for the food, and were totally blown away. The taco platter has such excellent flavor, and is a really substantial plate of food. The guacamole was always made perfectly (at least to our liking). The fish platter was very flavorful and perfectly cooked. Really, everything was so tasty. And the cocktails were great - both the classic/lime and the strawberry margaritas were some of the best we had on our trip. Charlie even made a fun little virgin cocktail for our kids, which made them feel so special. :-) We had just assumed we'd be eating out in Zona Romantica most of the time, but the food at Playa Fiesta was so good that we just ate there most of the time!!

The staff goes beyond nice, into the realm of amazing!! I stay at a LOT of hotels for business travel, some with good staff, some with nice staff, most with mediocre, and I can say that Playa Fiesta's staff really cares, and after a few days they pretty much become family. From Carlos serving the food, to Charlie behind the bar, even to Jefe (the dog!), every interaction was a pleasure. They were especially loving to our kids, giving them pool toys, or a big smile in the middle of the day, which always makes me happy.

We were also slightly concerned that the location would be an issue, but whenever we needed a taxi, there was one waiting there, and taxi costs are very cheap in PV. So it was extremely easy to get wherever we needed to go. And the way we see it, being so far south is a benefit for getting to the zoo, or Los Arcos or any of the southern beaches (which we did a few times), so actually not being right in town was a benefit that way. All in all, the location wasn't an issue for us at all.

We only had a couple of very minor issues: the wi-fi struggled to reach our room, so we only had reliable internet access down in the pool and restaurant area. The kitchen didn't have a lot of standard amenities for cooking a full meal, but they helped us cobble together enough to manage. And of course the beach is very rocky, so to get to a truly sandy beach it takes a little effort via a 5-minute cab ride. (note that there is now a jetty in front of the hotel, which is building up some sand on the beach, so one day this might not be an issue as a small sandy beach, which would be awesome) But really, that stuff is just me nit-picking, and everything else was so wonderful.

A final note about Lindsay and Adam: you can tell they have a passion for their hotel, and a real joy in running it. Our interactions with them were lovely, and they are such nice people, and were so cool to our kids, and I am so glad we had a chance to meet them.

I have recommended Playa Fiesta to everyone that we've spoken to about PV, and are already looking forward to going back one day!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank jeremymmason
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had the pleasure of having our wedding with some of our closest friends and family last December at Playa Fiesta (PF) and next to saying I Do, having our wedding week at PF was the best decision we have ever made!

Lindsay (Wedding Coordinator): Even with the gorgeous & intimate setting and amazing staff, the PF experience would not be anything without Lindsay.

How does she do it? She makes it seem like you are the ONLY wedding she is coordinating (when clearly that is not the case) in her timely, personalized responses. She is genuinely sweet, caring and it shows in her work. Months later, people are still raving about what an amazing time they had, and a lot of that had to do with Lindsay and her amazing staff at PF. Who else can say that on the DAY of the wedding, we were in the pool sipping on pina coladas before getting ready & everything went perfectly. Having the wedding of your dreams without the stress is really priceless & is exactly what you will get at PF.

Melissa (U.S.-based On-line Coordinator): Melissa was also wonderful and a pleasure to work with. She was super-sweet and made sure to keep me on track with the wedding checklist to make sure not a single detail was overlooked. Her and Lindsay worked really well together in answering email and again, I was always shocked at the speed and thoroughness of the email correspondence. The best part is that the way we worked on things made it seem so easy, and not overwhelming at all, even though not a single detail was overlooked.

PF Staff: Everyone here makes you immediately feel like family. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel, to the minute we said goodbye, it felt like we were saying goodbye to long-time friends. It meant so much to me that they made my family and friends feel comfortable and have a wonderful time. Charlie, Danny, Pato, Manuel, Carlos, Annie… I feel so awful not remembering everyone’s names, but it really doesn’t matter: EVERY single one of the staff was super-friendly, helpful, and went above and beyond any hotel staff we had ever encountered before!

Food: Growing up eating delicious, authentic Mexican food, I will admit I’m a bit of a food snob. I was a little worried the meals would be “Americanized” as is often done with Mexican fare other hotels in Mexico. However, we were floored with the tastiness of the food – even my Mom who is an amazing cook and is really picky! Everything was absolutely fresh and delicious. We still long for the days of waking up to the amazing breakfast buffets (the chilaquiles, fresh fruit, and eggs were SO good) and even more so for the dinners. When we did go to town and ate elsewhere, we regretted not simply staying at PF because nowhere else did the food and service compare.

Hotel Accommodations: I will start off by saying that the pictures of PF online do not do this place justice. It is absolutely stunning in person. I will admit, when our cab driver dropped us off at the hotel, I thought we were at the wrong place (apparently the hotel name sign had been removed) and it looked really small and unassuming. However, the minute we stepped in and looked toward the ocean and pool area, we were stunned.

We knew we wanted a destination wedding, but did not want an all-inclusive or Sandals type of place; we were looking for an intimate venue where not only we’d be getting married, but also have time to spend time with family and friends from all over. At PF we got more than we could have imagined; we essentially had a 5-star intimate hotel to ourselves for a whole week, complete with unbelievable views and staff.

Every room has amazing décor and we loved that every room had unique and distinct touches – from the gorgeous headboards, Mexican décor, to the candle nooks and exposed wood and brick, this hotel has great style.

I will admit that probably one of the most “stressful” things was figuring out who was going in what room given the different views, etc. However, everyone was more than happy with their room since each one is unique and stunning. At the end of the day, guests hardly ever were in their room since I would say that 95% of everyone’s time at PF was spent out by the pool area.
There are two pools – one small and one large & extremely clean. It’s great that there is also a bathroom out in the area so no need to hike up to your room. The pool area overlooks the ocean and rocky beach. The pool area was so nice that we didn’t venture onto the beach and instead stuck to the pools.

The bar area is great and Charlie serves up some amazing drinks! Somehow the staff learns your favorite drink pretty much after Day 1 and never let you go dry. Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas and the staff makes sure to have clean towels ready for everyone.
If you want to venture into town (which people loved PF so much hardly anyone left!) – downtown PV is only a short cab-ride away and the staff will be more than happy to arrange one for you. You are also a short cab-ride or ferry away from activities such as snorkeling, whale watching, ATV riding, zip lining and some gorgeous sandy beaches if you want a beach day. I had so many activities on my list to do once we got to PF, but we opted to stay at the hotel instead since it was so gorgeous.

There were some issues with Internet connectivity throughout our stay, but Lindsay and Adam worked to get them resolved. For me, it was not an issue since I gladly welcomed being away from the computer for a week!

Overall: Planning & booking a destination wedding without even doing a site visit did seem crazy to some, but Lindsay and Adam, along with so many amazing reviews from former PF brides really reassured us and we are so happy that we chose to have our wedding here.
If you are looking for unparalleled service, amazing location, and basically a luxury hotel at your disposal for only you and your wedding guests, and a week you and your guests will never forget - then do not hesitate to tie the knot at PF – we cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank vramzo
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We had our wedding at Playa Fiesta on Memorial Day weekend-May 2012. It was the best decision we ever made!

We were looking for a smaller, intimate venue where we could spend quality time with our guests for the weekend. We searched high and low for venues in Mexico and the Caribbean. A friend of a friend mentioned Playa Fiesta and we were slightly hesitant. We’d never been to Puerto Vallarta and we didn’t have the time to site visit. Our family was anti-Mexico due to the terrible media stories. We had endless conversations with Adam & Lindsay (owners) and our fears were set at ease. They were BEYOND informative about the hotel and what they offered. We spent hours upon hours looking at past wedding photos on their website and reading reviews on TripAdvisor. We thought it was too good to be true but we signed our contact and started the planning. We elected to do a partial takeover (20 rooms) as we weren’t sure if our guests would make the trip. (We live in San Diego, CA but our families are from Boston, MA).

The planning process could not have been any easier. Lindsay and Melissa are hands down the best wedding planners on the planet! We would email back and forth (on a daily basis) and they would respond at all hours of the day. I never once worried about the details….they had it covered from day one.

Upon arrival at Playa Fiesta, we were blown away. The pictures online don’t do it justice. The hotel is immaculate. Every detail is gorgeous…from the round doors to the different beds in every room. The views were incredible and it was so peaceful. We had struck gold! And it just kept getting better.

I can’t put into words how amazing the staff is at Playa Fiesta. Carlos, Charlie, Pato and Danny made the weekend for our guests. They knew your name the second you arrived (no joke) and knew your favorite drink from day one. Anything you wanted, they made it happen! Not only was the service staff amazing, but the cleaning ladies and facilities guys were ON POINT. My dad pointed out a cracked tile by the pool…it was fixed within an hour. My husband wanted to play volleyball in the pool and within minutes, the facilities crew constructed a net. I have been to several five star hotels and not gotten this kind of service. Not sure I will find it anywhere else. The staff became like family by the end of the weekend.

As for the food….no words can describe how good it was. Every meal I ate all weekend I wanted to eat again. The bacon and french toast at breakfast, the Mexican Salad and Taco Platter at lunch, the mashed potatoes at dinner…every bite was heaven and I am a pretty picky eater! We did all meals onsite…Welcome Dinner, Rehearsal Dinner and Wedding Day. We went offsite one night and loved it, but couldn’t wait to return as we missed the Bar Staff. Our guests would agree…there wasn’t a meal that wasn’t PERFECT!

As for our big day, it went off without a hitch (despite the rain). As did every detail of the entire weekend. We stayed an extra day after our guests left and couldn’t stop talking about what an amazing weekend it was. It’s a weekend we will never forget. Adam, Lindsay and the entire staff at Playa Fiesta made our wedding more than we could’ve ever dreamed of! I can’t stop talking about Playa Fiesta and can’t wait to get back! Our family/friends are already talking about making it a yearly trip!

Just a side note, we went to a larger all-inclusive property in the Caribbean for our honeymoon and were disappointed. We thought we’d want something “different” after Playa Fiesta and we were sadly disappointed. We missed the personalized service, the small intimate feel and the immaculate accommodations. After a week at Playa Fiesta, nothing will ever compare!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AADiego12
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This review has been a long time overdue. My fiancé (now wife) and I had our wedding at Playa Fiesta in December 2011. It was definitely the best week of our lives. We truly had a dream wedding and it was made all the more special by the intimate nature that Playa Fiesta provides.

From the very beginning, we knew that Playa Fiesta would provide us an amazing experience. Just looking at their website, you can see very quickly that this is a great place that offers some amazing views. If you are coming for just a regular hotel stay (non-wedding) you are going to be very happy with your stay. But if you are planning (or attending) a wedding there, it is even better.

Working with Lindsey and her wedding planning crew was a breeze. We had never visited the hotel but their constant communication put us right at ease. In retrospect, their work is simply amazing. Lindsey would often reply to our off-hours e-mails in minutes. It often felt like we were the only wedding they were planning for the 2+ years that we were engaged. Seriously, I don’t know how they do it.

My wife often commented how amazing the entire process was. We were provided a spreadsheet right away detailing all the rates and a basic guide that would be our bible for the next few years. Along the way, we were guided along so that we did not miss key milestones and due dates for things such as the guest list, hotel bookings, deposits, etc. I could go on and on about how amazing the planning process was, but instead I’ll just finish up by saying that with the guidance of Lindsey and her staff, we were able to see all the amazing options they offer, without pressure to purchase extra things we didn’t want or need. It was amazing from start to finish.

Of course, there is much more to a wedding than just planning. We arrived a few days before our guests so we could get settled and take care of some business before the wedding. Probably my favorite part of the whole trip was watching our guests trickle and in be simply AMAZED at the awesome rooms & views that PF offers. We had just enough guest rooms occupied to take up nearly all the ocean-view rooms & suites, without having anyone get stuck in one of the non ocean-view rooms. I believe we used 16 or 17 rooms. If you are planning a bigger wedding though, you will have to make some tough decisions about who gets the best rooms though, since everyone pays the same rate.

Food wise, we were treated to a spectacular buffet every morning that our guests were there. For the days when the hotel was mostly empty, it was an a la carte breakfast personally prepared for us – whatever we wanted. Each and every meal was great and the perfect way to start each day.

The pools are on the small-ish side but they were more than adequate for the size of our party. One thing to note: if you are obsessed with the beach, Playa Fiesta is situated right on the water, but the beach is totally rocky, not sandy. We didn’t mind though – I’d rather be in a great pool than the ocean anyway.

Service wise, the entire staff was ridiculously professional and fun. They managed to memorize our entire group’s names as they arrived. Something as little as that makes a HUGE difference. By the end of our stay we had made friends with most of the staff – I think that’s a pretty common thing at Playa Fiesta, because the guys are so nice!

Finally, the wedding day was here. The day that we had been planning and dreaming of for years. There would HAVE to be a small amount of disappointment after the buildup I had in my mind, right? Wrong. Everything went off without a hitch. I won’t bore you all with the intricate details of our day, but every single thing went exactly as we had planned. The ceremony was spectacular. The reception was classy but not stuffy. The speeches and dinner were so memorable. The dancing (with a stage set up over the pool!) was fun and the party lasted well into the night. And perhaps best of all, we did not have to stress out at all about anything. We were in the pool until just a couple hours before our wedding – how cool is that? No stressing about caterers, flowers, photographers, etc. Speaking of photographers, we used Michelle Turner, and she was amazing as well.

There are not enough good things I can say about Playa Fiesta and the amazing time we had there. This review doesn’t even do justice to how great everything was. I have very high standards for places where I spend money, and from a groom’s perspective Playa Fiesta exceeded every single one of my expectations. We’ll never forget it. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dave Z
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Probably the best week vacation ever! Hotel is amazing. Quality is everywhere. Every meal was superb. I can't say enough about this place. It is one of the best I have ever been to. The owners went out of their way to make sure our daughter's wedding there was great. We rode the bus into town several times. It is very safe. Only drawback : we were so relaxed it took a couple of days to get back into life at home!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family