“Great Location”
Review of Plazamar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Vallarta
Plazamar
Ranked #69 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Our family stayed in Plaza Mar room 505 owned by Jeff Musto. He was prompt in answering questions by Email and once we had made our reservation we received instructions to check in quickly.
A cab from the airport was 475 pesos and on the way back 240 pesos for four. I believe that if we had walked the hundred yards to get off the airport property that the rate would have been 240 pesos for the ride to the condo.
The location was perfect for us right in the middle of things and with only a beach restaurant separating us from the ocean. Restaurants and taco stands were numerous within 5 - 6 blocks. It pays to do a little research about where to eat on Trip Advisor before going out. We enjoyed Cafe Roma for the 30 peso Margaritas and 5 peso beer (off season rate, 15 peso during high season) along with the pizza and pasta and Polos for the great seafood and service. The Malecon starts right out the front door and is a wonderful safe stroll during the day or at night. Several loud nightclubs add excitement to the stroll at night. There is a great grocery store at the far end of the Malecon about a mile from the condo. We went there several times because we enjoyed the morning walk and the fresh baked goods were scrumptulous.
Our maid came twice during the week for which we were told repeatedly that the customary tip should be $28. The service wasn't worth $28 not to mention the tip which was to be left in a special envelope at the front desk. I doubt that the maid really sees all of this.
We had 4 towels for 4 people during the humid season. We had dry towels only on check in and after the 2 maid services--the rest of the time we dried ourselves with wet towels. We always took at least 2 showers a day with the humidity, the heat and swimming in the ocean. The room air conditioner in the master bedroom sounded like a washing maching spinning while running and when it turned off and on sounded like the broad side of a hammer hitting the side of the washing machine. We used the other room air conditioners and got by OK. One stool wouldn't flush, but after telling the front desk staff, this was fixed in just a couple of hours.
The balcony was large and the views of the ocean and the hills were magnificant. The kitchen is well equiped. We enjoyed the small swimming pool on the roof with very nice padded lounge chairs and an even better view of the area.
There were stained glass doors off the master bedroom and a stained glass window off the kitchen which were nice touches.
The beds are box springs with 2 inch foam pads on top. "Real" mattress beds would be a great improvement. These were NOT comfortable. Even though we were told that the king beds could be converted to two twin beds, they could not be separated unless you chose not to use the king sized 2 inch foam and just use the box springs. The sheets smelled musty.
During rainy season the streets are generally always flooded (these serve as the storm drains). We walked through a inch up to literally a foot of water almost all of the time when crossing the streets, so bring sandals that are made to get wet. Each afternoon we got a downpour and sometimes it rained all night and for part of the day. We enjoyed the thunder storms at first but it became a little too much as the week went on. September may not have been the best time to visit. During most of the year I doubt that this is a problem.
Local buses are 6 1/2 pesos and are numerous and an inexpensive way to see the city. Buses north and south of the city are priced only a little higher.
Jeff allowed us to check out late so that we could enjoy our last day before our 5:30PM flight. We were able to clean up before getting on the plane which was very nice with the hot humid weather.
The Oreo flavored smoothies at OXXOs were great!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank OregonSinky

Reviewed July 27, 2010

we rented condo 606 from Jeff Musto and it couldn't have been easier.....he was very patient and answered all of our questions. Paid through Paypal and truly it was easy. Mr.Quincytoo is a little (quite) unsure if he is made for condo living as he truly likes resorts and hotels. I am beyond hoteled out from constant work travel and resorts get old really fast. I want the condo roominess and to be able to think I am living in a home away from home.

We arrived and had some trouble finding the front entrance (we laughed about it later) and actually lugged our suitcases half way around the buillding to some friendly soul pointed us back in the right direction.
Got our bearing and buzzed to be let into the complex, (the front gates are locked 24/7 and you hit the buzzer located in the right hand side of the gate to be let in, very very secure). Here we met the oh so friendly Adrinna(wrng spplng sorry) she checks us in and takes our $10 deposit for the two condo keys (it is given back at the the end of the stay).
Adrinna was wonderful throughout our stay and was a great help, a very hard working asset to Plaza Mar.
We take the one elevator up to the 6th floor and unlock the iron gate then the front door and step into our condo. At first it is very hot and the AC in the bedroom and living area are not working, Mr.QT looks at me like his worst fears are realized and that we are subjected to 7 days of sauna like living conditions. Turns out the breaker was off, no worries we get it going and soon it is nice and cool.
The doors leading to the balcony needs some fixing as they don't shut properly unless latched and the latch at the bottom once latched with Mr. QT outside leaving him on the balcony till I returned. We laughed and I have just emailed Jeff to let him know.
Bed was king sized very comfortable, bathroom was a good size and everything in condo 606 and indeed Plaza Mar is spotless. Wonderful location with great restaurants, shopping, beach and people watching right at your doorstep. We were going to cook while there but only had 6 nights and abut 20 restaurants so cooking at the condo went out the door really fast. The fridge came in handy for storing leftovers from dinner for quick mid day snacks as well as holding cold refreshments.
There is a water stand in the kitchen with a huge jug of purified water that could be replaced Monday-Sat. Maid service was three times a week.

Lightening and thunder storms were amazing to watch and on the Sat night we were treated to a huge rainstorm. It was nice to come down in the summer and experience the *rainy season* of PV. It seems that it is hot and sunny during the day around 5ish the clouds come in and it pours and puts on quite the light show complete with sound then it cleared up to be nice for the following day.

The last day we had checked out and had our luggage in the lobby and dashed to the Oxxo for some 9 pesos Sols we went to the pool to spent our last few hours there before catching our flight back, we were the only people there and could hear the surf on the beach. We drank, swam, sunbathed and agreed that this was our best vacation yet and we will be back to Plaza Mar soon. :)
Adrinna at front desk is a true asset to Plaza Mar. She was wonderful to deal with and I miss her already :)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank quincytoo
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I've stayed in Plaza Mar many times. I prefer floors 5 and 6 as the view is much better than say on 2 (which was still okay). Jeff Musto has a few condos in the building and he keeps his places in meticulous shape. Very clean dwellings, thick towels, and all the amenities you could want. After you try renting a condo like Jeff's you'll never go back to just renting a hotel room. Here, you're not trapped at some resort where room service is as good as it gets. Here's you'll have a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment right on the beach with a balcony and view of the Pacific Ocean. Drop by Rizzo's, the local market, and stock up on food and beverages. Cook if you want, or stroll over to Basillo Badillo and have your choice of tons of restaurants. Take a dip in the pool on the roof and then watch the sunset while sipping a Margarhita. Only thing I could possibly say negative is about air-conditioning, but it's true of most buildings that use window units. They can be a little noisy, but after my first visit, I solved this problem. Leave the double patio doors wide open and also open the kitchen window; you will have cool ocean breezes the entire stay. We only used the bedroom A/C, but only half the time. Front desk is always polite and I like that they added Internet access throughout the building. For 150 pesos I had unlimited access on my laptop for the entire week. I keep returning so I must like it.
Plus the building is right on the beach!
- John Gillespie, Las Vegas, Nv.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank talkinbway
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I really had a hard time deciding where to stay during our vacation in PV. I knew that I wanted few things for sure: A/C was a must, location close to the beach and the main points of interest in town, quiet, safe, clean and a big room with a fridge where I can store drinks and snacks. After reading a lot of reviews (thanks to everybody that posted reviews on the places they stayed at) I decided that I really wanted to stay in a 1 bedroom apartment. There were lots of options to choose from, of course, but in the end I decided to go for Condo 606 at Plazamar. My husband was OK with the selection I made, therefore I started the booking process. Everything went so smooth: from the first email I sent to Jeff Musto to make the arrangements until the check out!

We took a cab from the airport to the apartment (14 US dollars for 2 adults) and checked into the apartment with no problem at all. When you go to the front desk and you check in, they do require a deposit of 100 pesos or 10 US dollars in order to give you the keys. The deposit is 100% refundable the day you check out and return the keys.

The building is very clean, very safe and very well maintained. There is an iron gate at the entrance and in order to enter the building you have to ring the bell, so the person at the front desk can open the gate for you. The reception desk is open 24 hours a day, therefore it really does not matter how late or how early you arrive. There is always somebody there to open the front gate for you.

The building also has underground parking (if you have a car and want to use it, you will pay 2 US dollars per day for parking) and a gorgeous roof top pool where you can also find a separate room with washers and dryers, a bar area and a fridge where you can store your own drinks while enjoying the pool. The rooftop pool was closed during our stay (no water in the pool), but we still enjoyed great views from the rooftop early in the morning and in the evening.

As I mentioned a little bit earlier, we stayed in condo 606 (from Sept 12 to Sept 15, 2009)! The apartment is very tastefully decorated, very clean and with a fully equipped kitchen where you can cook your own meals if you want to. The A/C came in very handy since we had some pretty hot and humid weather. Purified drinking water is also provided and included in the price (it is better not to drink tap water since all the pipes of the water system in PV are pretty old).

The living room area is very comfortable, the bathroom is a decent size and the bedroom (with a king size bed) is more than adequate for 2 people. The mattress is very comfortable and we really missed its comfort after we checked out of this place and started to explore the area (Mismaloya, San Sebastian, Mascota and Tepic) and slept in hotel rooms. There is a little bit of closet space in the bedroom that was more than enough for us since we really did not pack too many clothes.
In the closet you will also find an iron and an ironing board, just in case you need to do some ironing while staying there.

The balcony is also a nice size and it has a table with 4 chairs where you can spend some time in the early morning or in the evening while having a drink and maybe some really good cakes or pies that you can buy from the stores in the area. The view from the balcony is just awesome: you can see the beach, the ocean and also the mountains. What else can you ask for?

Very good restaurants and lots of tiny stores are in close by. The Malecon, Isla Rio Cuale, the cathedral and Gringo Gulch can be very easily be reached in a leisurely 10 minutes walk.

All in all, we had a great time here and would highly recommend Condo 606 to everybody who is looking for the same things we were: good location, quiet, clean, safe and close to everything but the noisy streets.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank monica1978
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Traveled to PV 4-25-09 to 5-02-09 and stayed in Condo 204 at Plaza Mar. This is the best
vacation we have had in a long time. This condo was so spacious and the wrap around
balcony was great. Had alot of fun watching everyone walking below us on the way to
restaurants and shopping and got to know the waiters real well at the restaurant across
from us. This was the best of both worlds in condo 204. Hearing the ocean waves at nite
with all the balcony doors open sure helped a person to relax and sleep and wake up so
rested. Some reviews I have read say that you could smell the food being cooked in the
restaurant below but that was not the case at all. I am sure we will be booking this condo
again real soon. The only downer about the trip was that the swine flu hit while we were
there and the whole town shut down at 11pm so we could not really get our party on but
other than that it was great. Thanks Jeff for everything it was the best place to stay in all
the times we have been to PV. I will never ever stay in a hotel again when you have the
best condos in all of PV. Everyone should give Jeff a call you won't be sorry!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Preciouslizard
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I am a very skeptical person and expected, and thought, maybe I would be walking into an internet scam. But, since I read so many good reviews, I thought it couldn't be. Upon walking in we were already amazed... It was way nicer than expected and so convenient! It is right on the beach and has an awesome view. We were worried about the swine flu before we went, but Jeff Musto, the owner, assured us it was safe. Once we got down there, it was odd to think that it was even an issue in the States- no one was sick and NO one wore masks. The only place I thought I might get sick was the Phoenix airport. The condo has all the things you would need: blender, stereo and a pool. There is a well priced bar/restaurant right in front of the complex. You can't swim in front of the condo directly because there are a lot of fisherman, but a hotel right down the beach will let you rent beach chairs and umbrellas. It is about $11 american dollars, but they will apply about $8 of it towards drink purchases. Restaurants can be expensive everywhere there, but because of the kitchen we were able to go to the grocery store and cook all breakfast's and some lunches in our condos. The front desk people are not super friendly, but then again, it is not a hotel, and they are there to protect the investments of the owners. The pool was a great place to go in the afternoon and there were not many people up there. I have been to Puerto Vallarta before and actually stayed in the hotel I mentioned before that is up the beach (Los Arcos), but i would never stay in a hotel again. In the condo you had so much more room and living space than in a hotel room. Also, the owner had left MANY dvds in the unit that we watched at night when we were too exhausted to do anything. I would/will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2009

My husband and I were married in Puerto Vallarta (Las Caletas - AWESOME!) in May 2008. We had quite a few family and friends coming, and after much research we decided Plaza Mar was the place to stay. We wanted to be away from the crowds of the Hotel Zone and experience authentic Puerto Vallarta. We wanted something affordable since his father was paying for all the relatives accommodations. We wanted a pool. We wanted kitchens to be able to throw parties in our room, and also for his relatives who are Indian and like to do a lot of their own cooking.

More than half the guests ended up staying here. My Husband and I were in Penthouse 2 which was very spacious and great for hosting late nights after local dinners and beach bars. Many of the relatives shared two-bed condos, and our friends took up many of the 1-bedrooms. Everyone loved their condos, and it was fun to spend the weekend with so many of our loved-ones. It felt like our own private homes. Every place was decorated differently. None were super fancy or extravagant, including the Penthouse, but all were uniquely furnished and decorated, clean, and all had direct or partial views of the beach and ocean below. My sister was in 502 and loved it's quirkiness. My husbands parents and brother and his wife shared 204 and loved it's bright colors and wrap-around balcony. They hosted several parties there, and one night there was a show on the stage right outside their balcony. It was fun looking at all the photos and picking the condo that fit your personality.

We had each other over for drinks, breakfasts, dinners, and many of the other guests would come over to hang out, too. Met up at the pool. Threw a cocktail party on the roof-top pool area on the first night after taking a taxi to a local grocery for drinks and restaurant to bring food back. It was a nice intimate building, we barely saw the guests in the other condos (who were all very friendly when we did see them), usually had the rooftop to ourselves, loved the beach bars right outside our building. The ocean right outside the building is a bit rough for swimming, but we didn't have to walk far to find good swimming outside nearby hotels. It was great to step right outside the building and sit at the beach bar for food and drinks, or walk the opposite direction and have numerous choices for local AUTHENTIC restaurants and shops.

I didn't particularly like the man I dealt with to reserve the rooms, he is a member of the condo association and the owner of one of the condos. He was good about answering emails, but was a bit blunt and rude several times in response to my questions -- I asked him if we could have a welcome cocktail party on the roof and I guess he assumed we were rowdy partiers, when in fact we are both 40 and beyond that stage in our lives. (Although we did have plenty of alcohol flowing and everyone had a great time!) But you don't deal with him at all after you have paid and received your confirmation email. Anyhow, the actual staff at the condos are locals and laid back and nice and a bit reserved, they are there as any condo staff to watch the front buzzer gate, clean the general areas, do maintenance. They are not there as in a hotel to wait on you.

In conclusion, we will be going back for our 5th anniversary and inviting everyone to join us again for a reunion we all had so much fun. And def staying at Plaza Mar!

• Stayed: May 2008