“Great Time”

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #27 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed November 5, 2005

My sister and I just got back from Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at the Mayan Palace Marina and were a little nervous as there were very mixed reviews. Upon our arrival they decided to put us at the Mayan Palace Nuevo but all of our plans revolved around the Marina location. Other than that we had no complaints overall. (We were able to work it out to stay with our original plans). We quickly learned that if you remove your wrist band, the time share sharks do not seem to bother you. Mayan Palace is not a 5 star hotel, but the people were very pleasant. It is clean and well kept. We did not eat meals there so I can't comment on that. The Beachside Bar was unique and very relaxing. The pool is plenty big and clean. Several nights we sat on the beach and watched the sunset. I would stay here again. If you go to Puerto Vallarta, you definitely need to check out Chico's Paradise (the closest I have ever been to heaven) and check out this website to see if you can catch any of activities. (--) Very unique experiences. I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta and will definitely be back!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Ceadr Rapids, IA.
Reviewed October 29, 2005

This will be long but I hope this will give some good info. about The Mayan Palace and Purto Vallarta. The Mayan Palace is about 25 years old and although it's kept up it's just an average place at best. The Lobby was small and cheap looking. Having been to Cancun we were really disappointed in the beach. You won't find the white sand beaches that you find in Cancun or even Florida. And the Bay water isn't as beautiful either. The pool is large and very nice. The water was always perfect. The food at the hotel was decent, although we didn't eat there much. The other ammenities were nice but just average. The maid service was excellent. It was a real hit and miss with the rest of the staff, especially in the off hours as far as getting good advice on where to eat and go.

Time Share People-I agree totally with the others about the time share people there. I'm familiar with the routine but they really cross the line. When you check in you are immediately directed to them to make an appointment for a "Facility" tour. Just about everything they told us about the presentation was a lie. There are four sign offs if you're not interested, and each one gives you a hard sell. You'll waste at least 4 hours. Also, we found that the 2 free tours they offered were worthless. The 10% discount on all the tours booked out of their travel agency was also a scam. You can book it cheaper at "Dream Chasers Travel" accross the street in the Marina even after their discount. We found the on site travel agency staff to be very rude-unlike the rest of the hotel service. If you really want some free stuff, the timeshare sharks offered us $300 worth of free tours on the street right in front of the building. The Mayan uses scare tactics to discourage you from talking to them. Be warned, everywhere you go you will be solicited. Just ignore them. The bottom line is that you can't trust the Mayan timeshare people and it makes the experience there negative because the hotel is set up for selling-not serving.

Dining-There are a few good restaurants in the Marina, which is right across the street. Bananna Fajita and Victor's cafe are reasonable and good. "Champions" at the Marriot a few hotels down is a great sports bar with great food. But the best dining is in the old part of downtown. The Brasil Grille is a must. Great food and great experience. The are many fine restaurants there in that area.

Transpotation-The fares are set and usually reasonable. It's $15 from the airport to the Marina, which is only two miles away. You can save some money by taking the overpass accross the street and catching one for $6.
The bus system is good and can take you just about anywhere for $.45, but the roads are not that good and it can be a rough ride at times. Still, it's an easy way to get around. It's $6 by cab from the Marina to downtown. Warning-a cab from the hotel back to the airport is only $4. Always find out the set price, which includes tip, and ask the driver before you get in anywhere you go, especially on the way to the airport. The hotel told us it was $4 to the airport but when we got there the driver demanded $8. When we tried to tell him that we knew the correct rate he became furious. We ended up paying him and it was another negative to our vacation. People leaving are an easy mark to overcharge.

Money- Take $75-100 in one dollar bills. You'll be surprised how fast you will go through them.

Tours- The "Canapy tour" is the best adventure to go on. Everyone loves it. Again, I would not use the hotel travel agency. There are plenty in the Marina. Thw woman at "Dream Chasers" was an American and very nice.

Overall-we won't be coming back to Puerto Vallarta. The positives weren't enough to overlook the negatives. There are easier and better places to go. If you're going to come I suggest a different resort, like the Melia, just a few hotels down from the Mayan. It's quite beautiful and the staff is tops.

34  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2005

We have just spent seven days at the Mayan Palace, and had a great time.
We found the staff especially the activity crew (Maru, BD ) to be exceptional.
The trip exceeded our expectations and felt the people we met at the Mayan and downtown to be very cordial and exhibited good/genuine customer service.

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 23, 2005

I was so hoping to enjoy this hotel as my inlaws have a Mayan Palace timeshare that they got from the Mayan Riviera, which is supposed to be quite beautiful. Sadly, it was not to happen.

The staff there was exceptionally nice and the entranceway and lobby were beautiful. And then we saw our room... not so nice.

The furniture and appliances were old and worn, one of the 2 small burners on the stove didn't work, the microwave was on its last watt, and our room faced a very noisy construction site across the street from the hotel. It turns out that the construction was on the previously-mentioned Sea Garden and water park.

I asked if we could be moved to another room and there was nothing available at that time (I had actually called from Canada the week before and was told that it was first-come, first-served for an ocean view and we ended up checking in about 6 hours early. Go figure!).

I had researched the hotel online before we went and thought that it sounded great and that we were in the clear because we were timeshare guests and wouldn't be bothered - not quite true, but I can say no.

Unfortunately we had booked through RCI (charge fees), not knowing that we could book directly through the Mayan Palace. When they realized that we were there as Mayan Palace guests and not RCI they were suddenly more helpful! We were quickly offered a Grand Suite at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta (GORGEOUS!) which we left for the next day.

PLEASE do not shop at the 'Deli' across from the hotel. It is horribly expensive and they have no prices on the items. I have a feeling that they have special prices for tourists. Pay for a cab to Walmart (I think $6) and load up on groceries there.

I would like to be able to say more, but we left there as soon as we could. It looked like the buildings closer to the ocean might have been newer but I'm not sure. We also did not eat there. Like I said, the staff was wonderful, very attentive and professional. They even paid for our cab to the Grand Mayan! Thanks for that Felipe - it was wonderful!

16  Thank NifHogan
Reviewed October 15, 2005

I agree with the "stay away from the presentation."
Timeshare is a legal scam.

I booked a week through skyauction.com which seemed reasonably priced but its an RCI clearing house and easy way to get new prey.

I bid on Mayan (Nuevo) but they gave me PV (no golf course). Their loss as I went for the golf and they would have made money off the golf as it was I did as little as possible around the hotel and spent more time on other resorts w/golfing.
I also bid and won (on skyauction)a studio...which is a misleading name for hotel room with no fridge.

Timeshare selling plays this game, put you in the lowest/worst view room and try and sell the luxury ones in the presentation. Good Reason why to avoid.

My thinking is if I am made an offer to stay in a 5 star resort for a low price if I give them 90 minutes (3hrs) of my time and then when I get there I am in a dump...why would i trust giving them with $59,000. So I can get the same?

Ramada resorts is the worst out there and these guys arn't much better.

Everything about this place is mediocre and not worth the time. What annoyed me most is the resort was about 25% full as Oct is major low seaon and when I asked to move across the hall for a room with a view I was told their were no vacancies and yet only 5 rooms out of the 18-20 on that floor were occupied (based on what I saw and then asking the maid.
Even the Timeshare salesman said there were numerous vacancy's.

If RCI want more members try actually giving you what they advertise and people might say wow this is nice. Deceive people and you don't stand much chance except with the old people you corner and capture until they give in.

19  Thank viper56
nevada
Reviewed October 15, 2005

AWFUL Thats the only thing I can say and a waste of time false promises all lies and yes the 90 minutes turned into 5 hours forget the free gifts they promise you it's not worth it and all they were worried about was the plastic in your wallet how can you sell something for 50k and an hour later drop to 1k ...........................

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 23, 2005

We visited the Mayan Palace for a Time Share presentation during our trip to Puerto Vallarta in September 2005

We were told to expect a 90-minute. What a blatant lie! The "presentation" took 4 1/2 hours. The first time sell pusher started with prices between $60,000 -$80,000. After politely refusing her pricey "offers", another came in and started in on us again. Again we refused and said we had to leave as we had already been there two hours. "No problem," he says and leaves.

Then a new hard-hitter plunked himself down and starte in on us. "Wow, how can you turn this down? Can't you make up your mind? In my experience, Canadians can't see a good deal when it's right in front of their faces. So, what's your problem? Money? How much can you afford to put on your credit card today as a downpayment?" Big Fake smile on his face.

Now, we were both angry and wanted to leave...now. "This is our holiday, and we've already made plans for this afternoon," I said, adding "I have absolutely no intention of laying down my plastic for a deposit on one of your timeshares today. I'm just not interested...sorry."

We started to get up and two grinning men approached us. "Hi, we'd just like to check to see if you were well treated by the salespeople today", one of them said. I muttered something like "Yeah, we'll just go and pick up our gift now...we've gotta go now."

"No problem, we'd just like you to answer a few questions about our service, if you don't mind," one utters in a bright, friendly manner.

"Okay," I sighed and we both sat down at another table he pointed out. I thought what could be harm to answering a few dumb questions about the service. Wrong! The two of them started in us like gangbusters. At this point, they seemed desperate. Both were trying to undercut each other with ridiculous offers. "How about 25 weeks for 25 years at $500 a week plus annual maintenance fees, but you only stay in a studio every second year. You just need to pay $5,000 US today," one blurts out frantically. I just shook my head. The other one gushes, "Look, you're Canadian...you live up North..you like the sun here...well, this is luxury, it doesn't get any better. You have to pay for luxury."

Well, I can do the math, nothing they said came anything came anywhere close to being an "investment"...and it was certainly no bargain. In fact, it's a complete rip-off. Not to mention, that the place is completely isolated, and they hold you ransom to higly overpriced food and drinks.

The very fact that they had dropped their prices in a matter of hours from $60,000 to some cheapshot/scam made me wince in disgust. At this point, my wife who had had a headache earlier in the day was becoming nauseous. I finally bolted up and said, "Look, we did our bit...we came and saw the place...no obligations, right..Now give us the gift, and we'll be on our way!", I shouted, not caring who was listening.

So, any of you thinking of going to a timeshare at Mayan Palace, BEWARE, these people are like vicious dogs...once they sink their teeth into you, they don't want to let go. If any of these cons talk you into buying something, remember You have only FIVE days to cancel the contact. They won't tell you this either.

'THE SALES PEOPLE AT MAYAN PLACE ARE BARRACUDAS. The hefty downpayment you give them is exactly the amount as commission for that sale...ergo the fierce push to extract that plastic card from your pocket.

I love Mexico, its beauty, and its people. The next time I won't be so foolishly taken in by the offer of a free gift. We'll be going back to Mexico in December but we will definitely avoid any Timeshare presentations. Our holiday time is precious, and we don't need unnecessary sales pressure. Anyway, I checked the internet and found there are tons of cheap timeshare resales. However, my wife and I have decided that we like the freedom of all inclusives and don't want the burden of trading, maintenance fees, unforeseen costs, and the stress that goes with contractual obligations.

Stayed: September 2005