Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
  • Beachfront
Club Regina Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Pool
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive(Puerto Vallarta)
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
1,015 results
All reviewsbakal restaurantmarina locationvidanta resortmain buildinghigh pressureocean viewrci exchangesunset barrestaurants and shopssales pitchone bedroom unitthe check in processliving areasmaller resortcoffee potcity tournice resort
FilterAll languages
Chandler, AZ
Reviewed November 17, 2004

If you arrive before the 5:00 check in time, you will likely be asked to wait until the specified check in time. It appears that both members and non-members are held to the same conditions. When 5:00 came and we tried to check in, we were told our room was across the street in the Sea Garden.

Having read the reviews on this site prior to our departure, we would not accept that and demanded to be placed into the Mayan Palace. Our room confirmation clearly stated Mayan Palace, and with persistance we were given a room in the main Mayan Palace building.

We reluctantly agreed to participate in the timeshare presentation, which includes a champagne breakfast and passes for two events. After spending an hour with our rude tour guide, and explaining to her that all the rooms do not look like the models and asking her why we should buy here based on our treatment, we were abandoned. We had to chase her down to get the passes for our breakfast and never received the event passes. So, just say no to this.

On the positive side, the maid service was excellent and the views are teriffic. The best bet is the bar on the beach.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 15, 2004

Wow!!!!
We just got back in last night and can't remember a better trip had by our family. We bought our time at a benefit auction and then went online and read all of the bad reviews, were we upset with ourselves.
Ladys and gentlemen this resort is fantastic!!!!
From the moment we stepped through the doors at the airport we new that we were to hounded by the timeshare sharks. Just say no and keep walking! It's as simple as that. If you engage them then your stuck. For firsttimers to the area after you get your bags walk directly out of the airport to a cab. Don't answer any questions don't grab the discount cabfare promos just leave! hang a right out the last door and the taxi's are waiting there. negotiate your price (depends on were your staying to this resort was 300 pesos, 3 bucks) Upon arriving at the resort I made a comment about the room and it not being over at the Sea Garden and was told we had room in the tower. 2 bedrooms 2 baths a kitchen and dining room and living room and very, very clean. Make sure to decline their one and only time that they will try to time share you after you check in and you won't be bothered again. Heres a tip, tip your maid a few pesos a day and tell her shes doing a great job. Hopefully you get Gloria she was fantastic and sweet. The beds are hard but our family likes that type and slept very well. There was construction going on ( they have to do it sometime) Not a big deal. The pool was great and clean. The pool staff was excellent and this is for our new friends Eduardo and Francisco two of the best servers ever. They should send American servers down for training by these two. Fantastic people. The beach was cleaned ever morning. I'm an early riser and so every morning I would go down to the restraunt and get my large cup of coffee for $2 and sit out at the chill out lounge and watch the boats coming in and out, very relaxing. But what was great was seeing the attention to detail being put out by all the staff at this early hour and in the dark. The sun doesn't reach over the mountain until 8:30 and watching the ocean at sunrise is the most relaxing thing to do. We went to the carnival night on thursday and had alot of fun a little pricey but all the food and drink to be had. We also went to Fajita Bannana in the Marina and had some excellent food. Always remember that everyone there is trying to sell you a great deal so avoid them. Get your adventures at the resorts travel office. We did the El Eden canopy tour. Lots of fun and hot so go in the morning. We also did the El rancho horse back riding trip. Very fun and lots to eat and drink at the end. The water fall is muy bonita so get in the water and enjoy it. My son and I did the Mud Rats dunebuggy tour and had a blast. My wife and son did the Dolphin swim and had an equally fun time. We also went over to the Mayan Nuevo for the day. Huge pool great beach and excellent service again.
All in all folks I don't know what else to say. Would I go there again, in a heartbeat. Would I stay at the Mayan Palace, again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: October 2004
18  Thank gartj
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed October 5, 2004

I was expecting the worst after reading the reviews, so I was pleasantly surprised. We were an RCI trader so I was afraid I'd get stuck across the street at the old Sea Garden, but the first thing I mentioned to the check-in clerk was that we were on our honeymoon so we'd appreciate a good room and I have no complaints. The rooms were clean and spacious. There was a lot of construction going on, both on-site and across the street but I guess that is to be expected during the low season.

The pool was clean and the service was good. The beach area was nice also, especially the beachside bar. We loved it there.

The bed was unbelievably hard! We asked for and received an egg crate and that helped a little, enough for sleeping for a week. We always had fresh, clean towels. We found room service to be quick, if a little inaccurate, and the food wasn't so great, but the Bakal Restaurant (the only one open during this time) was actually quite good. Americans could learn a lot about service here.

They did give us wrist bands to wear, but offered us the choice of tight or loose. We, of course, chose loose and took them off everytime we left the property.

We weren't bothered by the timeshare sharks on the property, but it was relentless in town. But not just them; the shopkeepers and street vendors were a constant harassment, and not just verbally. It got to the point where I couldn't stand the thought of going outside of the resort because you couldn't walk or eat anywhere without being chased, abused, or harassed. If you went into a store they might block your way out. I didn't want to be rude, but it gets to the point where you have no choice. Saying "no thanks" did no good whatsoever.

The location was convenient and I would stay here again if I were to ever go to Puerto Vallarta again.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 19, 2004

Just returned from a full week at the Mayan Palace, Marina. We had a group of 9. One child (7), 4 young (18-21) adults and 4 parents. Our accomidations where a couple of the 2 bedroom suites in the building closes to the beach and pool.

*First some comments on previous reviews; Timeshare presentations are all the same, if your NOT interested in the property, avoid them. The pain of the experience is never worth the "Freebies" that are offered. We were approached only at check-in, never again at the Mayan. Also, if you have been in the timeshare game awhile, you know that when trading you never get priority over the actual resort owners, so you must ask, otherwise you will be given the low end.

Now the good stuff. We had a GREAT TIME! The rooms had excellent views of pool, bay and Puerto Vallarta, they where clean and the staff was very attentive.

Pool was clean, towels fresh and again, wait staff very good. Security staff is funny in that their sole purpose seems to be keeeping guest from bring food and drink to the pool. An easy way around this is to keep a couple of hotel cups from your bar order and just make the occasional run back to your room for refills.

We stopped at the Commerical Mexican (compare to WalMart) on way from Airport to stock up on Water, Beer, Wine and snacks.

Reccommend the Monday Night Fiesta, Excellent time and value. Open bar, Large Buffet and GREAT Entertainment! They also have a BEACH Party on Thurday's, but pretty much same as Monday with a different theme.

Places we ate: Check out the Super Deli for a quick bite. Excellent Omleats in morning and freshly made tacos during the day.

In the Marina: The Fajita Banana was very good, but on the higher end pricewise. Try VICTOR's for great food, cheap drinks and a good time. Victor will even join you in a toast!

Downtown: Avoid La Chata, food was not good and service was slow, even by local standards. Go to El Dorado instead (Playa de los Muertos) Excellent service, food, drinks and it is right on the BEACH!

Also, while downtown, try to go on a Sunday evening, that's when the locals are out, it adds to the festivities. And check out one or two of the night spots, Senior Frogs, Carlos and Charlies, etc.

Activities: We took everyone to the SPLASH water park. Another great day. A quick 10 minute ride by cab to Nayarit. Lazy river, slides, pools, you can even swim with the dolphins.

Also, chartered a Sailboat for the day. "The Sea Breezes" at the Marina. Ask for Jorge and Jose to crew. We cruised across the Bay for snorkling and climbed to a set of waterfalls, sailing all the way back. Included Fruit, sandwichs, beer, water and pop. It was a good day!

Spent a day at sister Resort in Nuevo Vallarta, Mile-long pool and spa. 1 hour bus ride, 10 minutes by cab.

Location in Marina was central to every thing we wanted to do, 4 peso bus into town (50 peso cab).

As, you can tell, I highly reccomend staying at the Mayan Palace Marina. Hope this information helps some of you looking for a good place to stay in PV.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Foster City, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2004

I don't know if I have anything to add more about BAD reviews on the Mayan Palace timeshare presentations because, ALL OF THEM ARE TRUE!

You will be tempted with good deals and freebies just to attend their presentation. Rule #1: There is no such thing as free lunch! Rule #2: If it sounds too good to be true, then it's not! Save yourself the trouble, don't attend their presentations. Just SAY NO! Beware! You will be forced into buying something you don't want to buy. Rule #3: If you are forced or compelled to buy something, then with all certainty, it is not a good buy!

My wife and I attended their presentation. BIG MISTAKE! We were promised a huge discount on a snorkelling package just to attend. They said it will only be 90 minutes but actually it was 5 hours! They drilled us for 5 hours to buy a vacation ownership for $59,000 and have to make a deposit of $7500. Fortunately, I know how car salesmen worked so I know these tactics. They will wear you down. They got my wife convinced so I had to fight her as well to say NO. In the end, we won and we didn't buy. What a relief! I was scared because they were forcing us to buy. I even asked them to cancel the freebie they were giving us just to let us go. Rule #4: If you are in a foreign country, anything bad that can happen can happen.

Do yourself a favor, don't go to these timeshare presentations!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member