Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
  • Breakfast included
$256
$195
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$307
$250
  • Beachfront
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
$197
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$375
$286
  • Breakfast included
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$432
$140
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$159
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
$500
$422
1,030 results
All reviewsbakal restaurantmarina locationvidanta resortmain buildinghigh pressureocean viewrci exchangesunset barrestaurants and shopssales pitchone bedroom unitthe check in processliving areasmaller resortcoffee potcity tournice resort
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is an older property, but well maintained. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms were very clean. The staff is so kind and attentive. They followed up on any of our requests. Painting was being done in a room below us and once we reported the fumes bothering us a man was sent from maintenance and immediately stopped the painting, Ignacio, the concierge, saved the day when my daughter left behind her computer in the lobby on checkout day, and throughout our stay made sure things were enjoyable, Pickup at the airport and transportation to the hotel went smoothly. I have to agree with other reviewers regarding the front desk staff...some of them were not the friendliest or most helpful. And the timeshare sales people are really persistent and start to get a little nasty as you reject their offers...but I guess everyone has to make a living. We used the bus several times to get into town and to Sayulita. The bus makes stops right in front of the hotel so it is very convenient. Also, we used taxis which were always conveniently available. It seemed like one of the bars on the property always had a two for one drink special going on. The Mayan has an adults only pool area with a swim up bar. The beach area was nice, with palapas for shade seekers. Tacos and Beer restaurant across the street provides wifi and good, inexpensive food.

Room Tip: The rooms which overlook the marina, rather than the ocean, are located right over the entrance and can be quite noisy with the comings and goings of taxis, bellhops, etc.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gail S
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The resort itself and the staff are very good so I don't want the readers of this review to get the wrong impression. It is the Mayan policy regarding those that exchange into the resort that STINKS! If you are not a member of Mayan Palace but choose to stay at the resort through an RCI exchange, be forewarned you are going to get the worst rooms with the worst views unless you agree to take part in their timeshare presentation. Then they will move you to a better room. It is not an issue of room availability as the resort was probably 20% occupied (at most)....it is their low season. After complaining enough and still refusing to pay their bribe (agreeing to a timeshare presentation), they finally moved us..... on the second day. (We had to stay in the "lower-class citizens/RCI exchangers" room for the first night and then repack everything to relocate. We wouldn't have unpacked at all if we knew they would relocate us but at the time we felt we would be stuck where we were. See story below....)

What made this situation even more aggravating was we went through this same thing last year at the Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta. In that instance we exchanged into the Bliss which is one of their top level luxury buildings, right behind the Luxe in terms of luxury. Since we refused to pay their bribe (submit to their timeshare presentation), we were given a room that faced the back of the resort (away from the ocean) with a view of the construction site. Even though they were also significantly under-occupied and had plenty of rooms available, we could not get a room facing the ocean. (They never did relocate us in spite of continued attempts on our part.) We attributed this policy as specific to this specific Mayan resort. We did not anticipate having to deal with it at every Mayan resort.

Needless to say, now that we know the policy and how they handle RCI members wishing to exchange into their properties, we will not do so again.

Note: if I were to ignore the Mayan's bribe policy, I would give the resort and staff of the Mayan Palace in PV a "4". The resort is in a great location, the grounds are well-kept, the rooms are nice, and the staff is very courteous. However...I find the policy regarding RCI exchangers so disgusting, I cannot in good conscience recommend this place to non-Mayan members.

Room Tip: If you are not a Mayan Palace owner, the way to get a good room is to grit your teeth and submit to their timeshare presentation (like paying a bribe) and you will get a better room. The presentation will take a MINIMUM of 4 hours and you will have to endure a very hard sell from multiple sales people.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
21  Thank DenverDave01
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear DenverDave01 :
We are glad you have decided to post a review as it helpful to further enrich our performance and give other travelers a better idea of what to expect. We really thank you for your kind comments about our staff as we consider them one of our biggest assets. We are happy to learn as well you liked our resort and facilities.

Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration in order to provide you everything that you need to make the most of your vacation. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation whether you are a member or not.

It will be our honor to welcome you once again.

With warmest regards
Mayan Palace Management.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Nice to see the same manager as last year, and a few familiar faces. Maid service was very good, as well the bell captain Jose.

Many new people working -- seems Mayan keeps moving folks around, and it may be me, but I prefer a staff that I recognize, as I am a regular in Vallarta.

I had a very nice room, sunset view, which is looking a bit long in the tooth in the decor, but the paint is fresh, and I am told the interior is due for a swap this year.

Enjoyed the Sunset Bar, they have a special and the manager of Bakal held it for my guest who was a bit later than the kitchen serving this bar. Drinks were good, expensive, but happy hour.

Drinks are generally a bit on the expensive side, I think they would get many more dinner clients if they lowered the wine prices.

The wine glasses are too small for red wine, it is not unusual, but a complaint I make yearly, especially when a bottle of Baja California wine is over 700 Pesos.

They make up for it with many specials, but so many as to be confusing, so you need a happy hour map? I wonder if the high drink prices drive many to explore other venues for dinner?

By far, the best desert was the chocolate Fondant, which is served hot wth melted chocolate oozing out, though order it well before closing, the cook may be on the way out the door a minute or two early.

The best meal, the breakfast buffet, which was two for one, or half price, at 11:30, and though they have too many steps for those of us who do not like steps, the crew really gave service, remembering what I needed. The cooks are all excellent, and nice people, with the quesadilla station lady a true artist, who was kind enough to finish them up and bring them to my table outside. Great orange and green juice, plus fresh fruits, papaya, mango, melon-- all perfectly ripe. They make a ratatouille like vegatible stew with nopal that is excellent, I requested it daily.

I also had to have the chilaquiles made freshly upon request with a couple of nicely fried eggs.

Price at the special time was about 110 Pesos, and please tip generously, they all work harder than we do, and it's not as if you leave an extra $1 you are not going to be able to sleep when you get home. If you enjoy such a breakfast, you may have trouble building an appetite even for a later dinner. Not many people ate dinner at the hotel.

They have dinner buffets on the weekends, and a Tex Mex buffet with open bar one night.

Grounds are very well kept, curiously they have prominant "Keep off the Grass" signs-- and the iguanas were holding a convention near the pools, light entertainment. I recommend the warmer months, seems Mayan does not heat their pools?

And volley ball, in the pool and on the beach, great gardens, large reflecting pools, and close proximity to the Marina make the Marina MP the one I request. Beach was nice, and a number of nice tanning areas.

If you want the big place, go a few miles up the coast to the Grand Mayan complex, which is not only huge, but too complex to describe with a Sea Garden, Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan, and Luxe, Bliss and a few players to be named later.

WiFi prices are a joke at like $90 a week, you can buy an air card from Telcel if your laptop has a USB port, they are following some of the other hotels for this, No Premium TV channels, so forget HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax. I was in a Suite which had a modest flat screen in two rooms, if you want you could probably buy a DVD player for $30. TV's had HDMI inputs.

Room Tip: Call, and call again the week before, they had the wrong room for me, but it was quickly corrected a few days before I arrived. Rooms near the beach have two large sliding doors but no true balcony. Rooms in the main building have a small balcony. Bring Salt, Pepper, sugar, coffee, coffee filters, napkins, etc. as though there is a small kitchen and tiny fridge, nothing other than dishes are supplied. Beds a bit hard, and pillows small. Bring a power strip, the outlets are few.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank leicameight
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to the mayan palace marina in late April, and althugh it was slow, the property definitely surprised us. It appears to be one of the older Mayan properties, but was very well maintained - both inside and out. Our experience was good, although I was somewhat hesitant since it was an older property with mixed reviews - and a $300 food/beverage credit did not hurt. The staff was outstanding for the most part, both at the pool and the check-in process. The only issue I had with any of the staff was the arrangement of a round of golf - which didn't get done. We skipped the presentation and the breakfast and I didn't really want to waste my time with, although they tried - we already sat thru one and bought anyway. They figured it out pretty quick, which does not always happen. It's a great location, with plenty bars/resturants around the marina and its a quick cab/bus to the downtown area. Couldn't comment on the food, other than the 2x1 breakfast and the mexican beach party - both were fine - nothing outstanding, nothing terrible. The only caution is the timeshare people are very aggressive at the marina. We did not experience a lot of it, but heard some pretty interesting stories - guilt trips...can't buy books for jr., getting fired, etc... We just kept walking and ignored them, even though one of them accused me of being Canadian? Told him thanks and kept walking, even though I'm not.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JRL-MN
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My friend and I were there for one week in April. We got a 1 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor, in building 2 with ocean and pool view. The rooms were always kept very clean with turndown service. You should tip for both daily and for turndown service, The beach was clean and warm with lot of seats and umbrellas to hang out under.The Gardens and pools were well kept. Two pools, one for adult and one childrens pool. There were vendors on the beach however, they were polite and left you alone when stating "No, Gracias".

Excellent service in the rooms bars, restaurants the staff were very friendly and helpful. Happy Hour at bars were great. The 2X1 buffets are great to with a lot of choices, however, it was the same food everyday. The food was excellent and not pricey compared to marina restaurants. The resort is located next to the Marina that has lots of restaurants and shops and within walking distance.

BEWARE: Watch out for the Taxi to the airport. The frontdesk and bellmen stated $5.00 USD or 60 Pesos. But once I got into the cab and arrived at the aiport the Taxi wanted $15.00 USD or 180 Pesos. So Watch out! This happened to me and my travelling friend which we took 2 seperate Taxi's and left the hotel at different times. She was smart she gave him the 60 Pesos and entered the airport!

Room Tip: If you want a pure ocean view stay higher than the 4th floor in the 2nd Building. Just remember the 2nd building has views but also located over looking the pool so, if you want to sleep in past 8am it may be difficult for light sleepers.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends