“Just perfect..!!”

Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #29 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I love Mayan palace resorts... if you want to enjoy of the beach but at the same time relax and enjoy Mexican culture with style this hotel is your option..
it can be a little expensive but is worth it

7  Thank PAOLACC

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I loved this resort! I used my RCI timeshare exchange and booked this property for July 7-14, 2012. I'm a fan of downtown Puerto Vallarta and the Romantic Zone and didn't want to be stuck at the marina. But it was OK! There are restaurants in the marina area, and there's a bus that will take you into downtown every 20 minutes. The buses are very hot though, and you get bitten to death by mosquitos while waiting for the buses during rainy season, anyway. The beach was pretty good, very small waves. The rooms are very clean, good A/C. There is a timeshare desk where you need to get your bracelet. They do a lower pressure pitch for you to get a better room if you go to a presentation. I adamantly said no no no and they eased off. When you leave the hotel, there are timeshare people on both sides that are more aggressive. They say they'll just sell you trips as well but I don't trust them. I went to the travel agency within Mayan Palace. They use Vallarta Adventures for a lot of tours. They are more expensive but they'll give you 3 for 2 discounts, etc. I booked the Dolphin Experience, the Marriettas snorkel and Las Caletas with them for $200 for the 3 tours. Could have saved money going with the Beach Boy for $50 but not sure how that one is. Probably fine. I loved the dolphin experience, and Las Caletas was OK, a man-made swiss family robinson type beach hideaway, all inclusive. The Marriettas are usually better. In summer the water can be greenish from the plankton and visibility diminished. Plus, there are jellyfish. They call the little ones water mosquitos.

There are 3 restaurants but they are all virtually the same. You can order off of all 3 menus, no matter where you're sitting -- swim-up bar, beach bar, pool, or a restaurant. The food is good, large portions. The service is excellent. It's expensive, around 100 peso minimum for a meal (up to 300 pesos) and drinks are a straight 80 pesos. Beer is 45 pesos, soda is 30. They have happy hours at different times all over so if you time it right, you can drink 2 for one a lot of time.

I was lucky and got a 3000 peso room credit, a promotion of RCI that I hadn't even known about. So I got to eat and drink for free, basically. (Maybe this helped my positive opinion of the place.) Have fun!

Room Tip: I had a room opposite the beach, and it was fine. I was right by the elevator though, and heard kid...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
11  Thank RaquelSanJose
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a mixed review. However, if you follow these and other recommendations, you will have a good stay. We are Mayan Palace members, which I know helps a great deal.

PRO

The property is nicely appointed. The Bakal restaurant is good and prices are decent if you go to the two for one meals. These come about every day. The staff is attentive and there are some activities on the grounds. The in-room safe for Mayan Palace members is large enough to put anything in. The view is good if you get an ocean view. We email before we left and got a great view. The resort is well-located. Buses are easily accessible to town and there are many good restaurants at the Marina nearby.

CONS

The policies of this hotel are very distracting and subtract from what could be a much higher rating in my view. First, beware when they try to run a huge bill when you arrive. We were warned about this. They wanted to place 5000 (between 400 to 500 dollars US) pesos upon check-in. I talked them down to 1000 pesos. I have heard about others who fought to get that money back. We made sure we spent just above that amount. So, we were constantly calculating. This actually retarded our spending there. We spent another week elsewhere and spent more money where they were more relaxed.

They put $80 US on your tab for pool towel cards. If you turn in your pool towel cards when you leave, they will take this charge off. However, this hotel is full of severe charges for anything that you lose or is out of order. That is very distracting.

There is no free or low-cost WiFi. The charge is about $20 per day. However, if you go to the Coffee Cup restaurant across the street, it is free. The restaurant is relatively low-priced but is closed for dinner.

STAY AWAY FROM ANY TIME-SHARE PRESENTATION, MEMBER UPDATE, ETC. If you do this alone, your stay will improve by 100%.

If you work this place, it is very enjoyable. I would highly encourage the management to stop treating the guests as potential criminals and rethink some policies that drive people away from the resort, i.e. high fees for WiFi. If some policies were changed, this would be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: We emailed ahead and asked for an ocean view. We got an excellent room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank JimF337
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Good acomodation,,,good area,,,very expensive ,,also very espensive restaurants,,,you better off cooking your own or eat outside de hotel the service at the snak bar by the pool very slow,,,but our maid bertha,,,did a fine job keep the room clean,,,iganacio de consiergue very helpfull and the girls a the jade botique,,,stremly helpfull and imformative,,,help me get in the computer i remeber Araceli, Nelly, Isabel and Adela are worth mentioning at check out i was charge 25 dollars for the safe deposit box,,,i refused to pay,,,never in anny of the good hotel we have stayed,,there was a charge for it

Room Tip: ocean view or pool view,,,but cost more,,,choose the new tower
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ricard029
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Marina Mayan was nice. It was probably a little older than some of the comparable 'Mayans' but certainly nice enough.
We did have to wait until 5 pm for our rooms though - even though the check out is at 10 and check in from 2. Never mind, we went and explored then chilled by the pool while the Bar dude 'Jose' delivered our cervesas, margeritas, daiquiris and (for the kids), smoothies, cokes etc.
Our (adjoining) rooms were nice and clean and well laid out. The House keeper was OK, but seemed a little incosistent. Still all was good.
There is an Oxxo and also a small shop across the street where you can stock up on snacks, beers, wine etc and about a third of the price of the hotel. We took beers to the pool, and beach without being hassled. Although we didn't make a big display of it.
We caught a Mahi Mahi one day and brought it back to the hotrel restaurant who were happy to prepare and cook it for us - we paid $10 per head. It included salads etc.
Breakfast is good, although too many of those and you'd waddle home. A little pricey compared to outside establishments.
"Tacos and Beer" were just two minutes walk. A good option for dinner. Also the Mirina is just down the street and has a stack of food options.
We got the initial blurb from the 'Promotions' lady on arrival. She got a bit miffed when we said "Not interested in a free breakfast, thanks". But we never got hassled at the hotel again, so that was fine. We did get hassled at the airport and at the marina quite a lot though. That got a bit tedious.
We organised most of our own activities through travel people or sometimes on the street. Less comissions to be paid that way too I guess.
We found all of the other staff to be great, and helpful. Security were good too. The sports activity people also kept out kids busy with the bouncy bungee trampolenes and the floating balls in the pool.
A good location as well. Handy to most things.
$6 taxi from airport. $8 from town. 65cents if you take the bus, and it goes from across the street.
Would happily go back.

Room Tip: Higher up is good. No noise from the pool etc. Sea facing is good also almost all rooms at least see...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Dave B
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The place was quite nice, the staff friendly. Our room was nice and clean and we love the house keeper attention to detail, she always left a chocolate kiss in our pillows and did some origami with the towels, tissue & toilet paper. The pool was nice, the security is always on the look out asking for your bracelet (that I rip off my wrist, honestly if you go outside the hotel is an invitation for more people to harass you with presentations or charge you more on the mercado >_>) I just carry it on my purse.

The downside, the time sharing presentations which are just "sale" presentations. Honestly if you are not interested in buying just say no, is not wort it, whatever they offer you in exchange for attending. It's really long and the people from the presentation are super insistent, if you say no, they pass you over to another person to keep on pushing you to buy. It was a horrible experience, when I agree to go I had no idea what it really was, I honestly though I was just taking a tour of the hotel. So, if you don't want to waste half your vacation day and be all stress out for all the number talk, just say no and enjoy your stay at the hotel.

5  Thank Suxius
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was a bit apprehensive going to the Mayan Palace after reading some of the reviews. After check in we did get the time share BS from an American woman. She swore that things have changed and it was no longer than 90 minutes. We asked to see the room that was an upgrade and it was the same exact room that we had (master suite) so we declined. Spoke to some people later who went on the time share trip and said it was at least 6 hours long before they could get out. So, avoid the blonde american woman and all time share stuff and enjoy your stay. Rooms were kept very clean, staff was very friendly and helpful. Internet was slow but it was stable and never disconnected. We enjoyed our stay at the Mayan Palace.

8  Thank Ron M