“Nice place...”

Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Ranked #7 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had a great vacation at the Villa Premiere & Spa, everything was great, the staff, the food, quiet place, the location right beside the Malecon (Boardwalk) it was fantastic... We had a great time and we plan to be there again for are next vacation! Positives all the way...

5  Thank Brigitte S
villa_premiere_hotel, Manager at Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2015

Dear Brigitte S,

Thank you for having stayed at The Villa Premiere Hotel & Spa and for recommending us with your nice review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, restaurants and service; we always try to make our guests’ stay memorable, with a good service and nice atmosphere. We look forward to hosting you soon.

Warm regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,580)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

After reading a few negative reviews about the hotel, just before my trip ... I was a bit skeptical about how my stay was going to be.. But to my expectation our stay was excellent.. Starting from the front desk to housekeeping staff to the concierge .. Everyone made our stay very memorable.. The best part was the restaurant staff, very knowledge about the menus and dinning options.. We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary there .. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was really pleasant and our room was done by the hotel staff esp for our anniversary .. Which was very sweet of them..the view was great.. Thank you for your great service villa premiera ... Will definitely recommend !

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vish K
villa_premiere_hotel, Gerente at Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Thank you for the very complimentary comment regarding your stay at our resort. It is always nice to have positive feedback from our guests and to know that we have met or exceeded your expectations at Villa Premiere Hotel & Spa. We look forward to host you and celebrate 2 years next time!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We traveled with our adult children over Christmas holiday. Trip started off on the right foot and our check in process was great... cold glass of champagne, a complimentary five minute massage while waiting for final preparations to be made in our suite. It went down hill from there. Let's start with the positives: All inclusive price of only $70 US per person per day and the food was actually quite good. We are food snobs and spare no expense at going out for a nice meal. We only took advantage of all inclusive for breakfast, lunch and poolside cocktails and went out for dinners. We were very surprised at the quality of the food. Service was great at restaurant and pool bars. We tipped Javier well on our first day and he took such good care of us during our entire trip. He really helped make our stay a pleasant one! The hotel lobby and pool area are clean and pleasant but the pool bar is dirty and tiny. Negatives: We were located on the first floor with a terrible view. It was technically an ocean view but we mostly had a view of top of palapa roof covering one of their restaurants. The room was rather small and the bathroom was terribly small. Only one person at a time could fit and I ended up using the bar area to get ready. There was a small sink at the bar and that is where I had to brush teeth, hair, wash face, etc. Only one person at a time in our teeny tiny bathroom. We reserved our two rooms (one for us and one for kids) six months in advance and I received a guaranteed confirmation for a king bed in one of the rooms and doubles in the second room. We arrived in our room and discovered two doubles instead of a king. We were told that there were no kings available and would have to settle for the two doubles. My husband and I ended up in separate double beds for a week. Not great! They asked us what our pillow preference was upon check in but don't think it made a difference as they weren't really what we specified. They were super firm and rather uncomfortable. The mini fridge didn't work for the first three days and then suddenly kicked in on day four??? No idea why it decided to not work the first half of our stay. The phone in our room did not work so everytime we needed help with something we had to go down to the lobby rather than call. We paid for all inclusive which includes free minibar but they only restocked our fridge once during seven day stay. It was very difficult to get wash cloths in our room. They did come by every evening and drop off fresh towels but only once did we get wash cloths. The hotel offers free wi-fi throughout the hotel but we couldn't get it to work in our room. We had to go to the lobby or pool area to keep a connection. Our kids checked in a couple days after us and ended up on fourth floor with a great view, larger bathroom, mini fridge that worked and great internet connection. Go figure! All in all - I felt like we were stuck in a lower quality section of the hotel and was terribly disappointed in the poor quality of our room. This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and we fell in love with the town. We are already planning our next trip but sadly we will not be staying at Villa Premiere again. They do have great employees that go above and beyond to help but there is only so much they can do. We had a great time but we really had to overlook our hotel circumstances and focus on good times with family in a great town.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank sopacey

Thank you for your feedback and observations, We do not understand why the big difference between rooms, Of course the first floor do not have the same view than the 4th floor, but absolutely we give to all our guests the same service. There is not excuses but technical problems can always be present, however the most important is the prompt solution and kindness of our staff always willing to please all your needs. Thank you once again for being our guest.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Yes, it's a small resort. It's kid-free. But we loved all of it.. The rooms were great (we stayed in honeymoon suite and master suite during our stay). But what makes this place beyond great is the food... it's nearly five star... we are still talking about the food a week after getting back. Its amazing. They will make you something even if its not on the menu. But dinner is insanely great.

Are there some negatives? Service at restaurants is slow. Internet in rooms is even slower. The whole "sign receipts" if you are AI is dumb. That's a 1999 conceit. If you are AI, you should get a wristband and moveon. That was annoying. But the food here is second to none and we had a blast and its super close to downtown and we walked there a ton and its a great location. We will stay here again for sure. Staff standouts include Tony at the pool bar, Javier, Saudi. Gabriella, Faustino.. but all great folks. tremendous boutique hotel for sure.

4  Thank greg1701

Warm Greeting from Villa Premiere Horel & Spa!! Thank you very much for all your wonderful comments; your opinion is very valuable to all of our staff, Its inspiring to read and to know we accomplish our goal on making you feel at home and accommodated in all the aspects that Villa Premiere offers, we hope you visit once again soon, we truly look forward on making another Wonderful and Tremendous Vacations.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you read my review posted here in July, you will understand why I returned in December. It is with a heavy heart that I write this new review now as this hotel has changed so much for the worse in such a short time. Where to start?

I contacted the hotel several times before arriving asking for a higher room, and possible room upgrade as a returning guest that previously had to be moved 3 times in 1 week due to room problems the last trip. Upon arrival, we were assigned a room on the first floor! After saying that was not where we wanted, she was able to get us on the 6th floor. The view was amazing although we looked down onto an empty lot below.

The in-room vault needed new batteries 2 times while we were there. Two whole days we had to have everything with us at the pool, passports, cash, etc. until they fixed it! The third breakdown they replaced the vault, and yes, the replacement was left just sitting there, unbolted down. We were constantly locked out of our room and had to get a new key coded at the front desk many times.

The food was good but preparation was not consistent. I had soup served ice cold one day, and the same soup hot and great the next time.

They are now doing a Buffet which we had 3 times in 2 weeks! WE hate buffets and chose Villa Premiere as they did not have them last trip and in fact advertise as an all ala-carte resort. If guests want a Buffet they can go next door to their sister resort and eat. Management must stop this or change the hotel website to let people know. What they are doing now is fraudulent promotion.

You will grow very tired after a week of the same menu in each restaurant. Having said that, David was amazing at giving us some terrific ideas for dining there and food pairing choices. Hugs and kudos to David!

Pool chair saving is a huge issue. Several days we would watch people save prime chairs by 8:00 am and not use them till way past noon. This has to be changed! Pool cleaning was another issue, the pool bar was disgusting! My husband had black stain lines on his swimsuit after one day in it, and I had black knees from sitting on the chair at the bar. My suit stank of urine after a few hours of enjoying drinks and chatting with fellow vacationers. The dead bugs just floated about you all day. The large pool was clean though. Last word on pool area, there is no sign saying smoking or non smoking areas. One day we were told we were in non smoking area (after having sat there several previous days). Then the next day it was smoking again! (I think someone was just trying to get our chairs and tipped a staff member to ask we move - we couldn't move though because by then it was past 10am and all the other chairs were reserved!)

As others have said as well, no longer do they offer top shelf liquors as was the case before. In fact the whole two weeks there was virtually nothing in the Corona bar lounge. This only seemed to change just before the Christmas crowds were coming in.

It is sad to see such a drastic negative change in such a short period of time. In my June visit of this year everything was fantastic. A close friend was there in October too, and she said everything was as excellent they had experienced before.

As many others have stated, there are still many longer term staff there that are doing everything they can to try and please people. Javier, Gabriella, Eduardo, Socimo, Faustino, Armando really do whatever they can, but it just feels that they're being restricted by new rules. New members like Tony, Edgar and especially David also did great jobs.

I spoke to many guests there and as with our previous visit, many were repeat visitors. What was different this time though, was that instead of hearing each of them extolling how much they loved returning over and over, not one I spoke with spoke well of the changes. Most said that this would be their last visit. I noticed that when we booked this trip, Tripadvisor ranked them as the #6 hotel in PV and they're now down to #9. If changes don't happen soon, I suspect it'll be double digits in no time.

If you are first time guest there, you won't realize how things have changed, and hopefully you will have an enjoyable vacation. I previously experienced the prior much higher quality though, and that was what I had booked expecting. We are planning a return to PV next May, but it won't be at the Villa Premiere again.

Anyone wanting additional information or having questions is free to contact me.

5  Thank jazzy2you
villa_premiere_hotel, Gerente at Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for expressing your opinion about our resort, As a valued guest your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate your sentiment in regards to the changes you noticed on your recent stay. We realized that the changes we made were not an success for our repetitive customers and we are back to the traditional services like for example now we remove the buffet for our restaurantes, which the only purpose was trying to have variety in the menus due the others needed a refresh. On the other hand I sincerely appreciate you mentioning the different people that made your stay special because absolutely are the staff who certainly makes a difference.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to VP, second this year. We spent 7 nights both visits this year. We love Puerto Vallarta, especially the older part (centro & romantic zone). There is a lot of activity, great restaurant choices, shopping, etc. The Villa Premiere is the nicest hotel between the airport and these two zones. The only other options that we would even consider would be something along the lines of Krystal or Sheraton—ugh! That said, VP is just a hotel needing some refinement . I will give you my pros and cons.

The Pros,
The location is great. The walk into town is (depending on where you want to go) varies from 1-2 miles. It is a physically attractive building. The rooms are comfy. The property is pretty well maintained. Having 83 rooms it is a nice size, it is not that ”factory feel” that larger hotels sometimes have. You also have the option to choose all inclusive or not. We choose not to do the AI due to choice of restaurants in town and we don’t drink a ton. It is a wash anyway.

The Cons.
The biggest amenity here is the pool and beach. We spent 6 + hrs a day there. There are not enough lounge chairs at the pool. There are 36 or 37 chairs, they could easily fit 10 more. You pretty much have to put a book or magazine on a chair if you want prime location first thing in the am. The extra chairs would not eliminate this problem but it would help. I understand that managing this process of guests reserving chairs early would be a operational nightmare. Some guests are just indelicate.

Its about details. For the most part this is where they seem to fall short. Service levels are inconsistent and it isn’t always because there aren’t enough employees. They tend to congregate at and around the cashier station in the restaurant, front desk, etc. You walk past front of the house or food service employees and they don’t say hello, hola?? There is very little management presence and a decent amount of the employees seem to be going thru the motions. One small example, the womens bathroom near the pool was out of paper towels for 1.5 days. My wife let 3 different employees know about this. So my wifes timing was bad (her trips to the bathroom coincidentally occurred each time they were out of paper towels) or the employees she told didn’t do anything about it or the department they called didn’t care and didn’t take care of the problem. The pool employees, especially Javier work very hard and are deserving of recognition. They are the best employees on the property. The front desk staff are chilly. Could they crack a smile? They act like they are splitting the atom behind the desk. Seriously, this is the first and last impression of the hotel. At check out we were handed an ipad to do a review. I politely passed. After that we didn’t get as much as a “thank you for staying with us again”, “ Hope to see you in the future”. Unacceptable.

One other thing that was bothersome. At the pool they serve really cheap liquor. The only known name brand is Bacardi. The rest are garbage. I think, and I still cant say after 3 stays that if this is true or not. They do carry “premium” brands. You have to be specific and ask for these to be poured. The first stay and I believe our stay earlier this year, they had on display at the pool, Curevo, Don Julio, Herradurra, among other “premium” brands. They dont display these anymore. They do offer these in the bar during the evening. Also the beer is never cold and they serve a lot of it. They must not store it in a refrigerator overnight? Finally, the last day (Sunday) we sat at the pool bar and watched the bartender “wash “ the plastic glasses they use at the pool. He frankly barely washed them then stacked them on top of each other wet. Yuck and Yikes. Sunday seemd to be auto pilot day. Didn’t see any hint of management until dinner time. The pool cabana boy had the day off so chairs didn’t get cleaned off in a timely manner. Old used towels sat on unused lounge chairs for hours. It really put the final nail in the coffin for us.

In closing, we just feel that anymore the VP hotel is ok, not horrible, far from great. Even with its shortcomings It is a decent value. It is not an expensive hotel. You probably will be reasonably happy here. They need a reset and a focus back on the basics. I honestly think they should raise prices some and offer better quality food (which is not bad) and beverage products. Based on location and physical plant they should own the market with the potential of the property but for some reason choose not to. I guess business Is good enough. I am trying not to be overcritical but there are basic elements of operating a hotel that need to be met. Perhaps our expectations are higher than they use to be.

8  Thank Harrypotter27

Thank you for giving us your opinión and observations. We are taking care of your recommendations and taking the necessary steps in order to avoid these situations in the future.
We look forward to having the opportunity to have you staying with us, in the meantime, feel free to contact us at anytime. If you have additional feedback that wish to share, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Positives:
Clean, food very tasty, beautiful view of ocean, every room has a balcony, not crowded, no kids, nice beach, great location, close to Malecon, friendly staff, great beach/pool service

Negatives:
Timeshare/membership sales reps so pushy. Beyond pushy. I started getting so frustrated and didn't know how else to say NO politely, after saying no multiple times. They are sneaky too. And they do NOT take no for an answer. They interrupt your breakfast which I think is beyond tacky. Took up over two hours of our first morning there. I would not come back just for that reason.

Another negative is selfish people who think they can "reserve" the limited pool chairs and beach beds with a hat or book as early as 7-8 am, who don't even physically use them until 12noon! The hotel says they have a rule against reserving on their welcome pamphlet, but do nothing to stop it. If everyone just used them when they were physically present everyone would have a chance to enjoy.

Wifi is terrible.. Which I didn't mind too much, but its a negative if you depend on it for work.

Although the food is very tasty and presented beautifully, the menu was supposed to change every several days - which I was looking forward too. We ate outside the hotel a ton so it didn't matter too much, but I can see how it could get boring for some people. Especially when it states the menu as rotational on the website..
The service is incredibly slow. Mainly at the breakfast/lunch outdoor patio. Not just slow. But SLOW. Which boggled my mind because every time I looked there was 3-4 people standing there.

Although I'm happy there wasn't kids running around, the age range is definitely 40-60. With the majority being over 50+. This isn't really a negative, it just depends on personal preference. I would have preferred being somewhere where I could interact with more people our age. However if you are all inclusive option, you can go to the sister resort next door which had a younger crowd.

No music outside. This is a big negative in my books. I'm not saying blow your ears off loud music, just some nice ambience. Way too quiet outside, you almost feel awkward. I have to say the vibe is pretty boring. A lot boring actually.

Although the hotel staff were very polite and friendly. The hotel vibe is kinda uptight to say the least. I kind of felt awkward the whole time.

We were supposed to have a king bed. Thats what we paid for. Multiple reviews have stated this. Do they literally have no king size beds. We got two doubles instead. A double is fine for one person, but try to fit a grown man plus myself into a double, so uncomfortable! They said they would change our rooms, but this never happened. They literally must have no rooms with kings, because our friends we met said the exact same thing as us!

All in all, the vacation itself was awesome. We didn't spend all our time in this hotel thank god. We got out and explored ate in many wonderful restaurants (the taco truck near the hotel two or three blocks down to the right) was literally the best food we had the entire time, highly recommend. We will definitely return to PV! But will NOT return to this hotel. Next time we would much rather stay in a condo near or just outside the romantic zone, where it's a bit more quieter but close to the country and the city, both are beautiful. To rent a condo is more spacious, cheaper, and we ate out most the time anyways. I'm not really sold on the whole resort thing anyways, if your young and want to experience, don't bother with a resort.

3  Thank JamielC

We are truly sorry to heard that Villa Premiere Hotel & Spa was not what you were looking for. Our concept is a relaxing hotel, adults only with a quiet atmosphere, that’s why we do not have activities or loud music at the pool área. Certainly for some people can be boring or non interesting, but that is what make us different and what people enjoy if they are really looking for a relaxing vacations. An alternative is Buenaventura our sister property with a total different concept. Of course we have rooms with King size beds but the only ones with two queen beds are the basic categorie and those are not enough for the demand, reason why we never guarantee or charge extra money if you do not get it. Anyway that is a shame that you had a bad time and do not give yourselves the opportunity to enjoy it.