“The Perfect Honeymoon”

Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Ranked #7 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“The Perfect Honeymoon”
Reviewed April 4, 2004

We returned yesterday from our stay 3/30-4/4. I was fortunate enough to learn about the Premiere from this web site, and it made me look like a genius to my new wife. Let me start by saying that with a few exceptions, everything you read here is true: the property is fantastic, the service is phenominal, the food is excellent, and the location is perfect. But there are also a few negatives: it is next to some sort of reclamation project, the beach is a bit rocky, and there are lots of street vendors. Let me address the positives first. We had never been to Mexico before and we didn't really know what to expect. I have no doubt that the Premiere is considered a full luxury property for PV. Our Master Suite was the nicest room we had ever stayed in, and contrary to other reviews, I thought the spa facilities were terrific.
They are small but modern. The lobby is very nice and the pool area was a masterpiece for its design and execution. Perfecto. As far as the service, it is everything and more. They all speak English and speak it well. Rodrigo, Jaime, Sergio, Jorge, Armando, Jose Luis, and Gerardo ALL made us feel welcome and went out of their way to make our stay better. These guys are unreal and we made sure to tip them appropriately. We were on the AI plan and we knew tips were included, but these guys were worth it. When thinking about whether to go AI or not, don't think, just do it. We had no desire to eat off property because the food is that good. Keep in mind that I am a bit of a food snob, and while I'm not saying the food is better than Chicago restaurants, there were a few times I said "wow." The chips and salsa, the guacamole, and the ceviche (called "Assortment of Snacks" on the lunch menu) were amazing. For breakfast we loved the heuvos rancheros, aztec crepes, french toast (it'll blow your mind), and norteno beef (I think it's called this...it's the shredded beef on the b-fast menu).
They have fresh squeezed juice and you eat while they play a harp.
Incredible. For dinner, Murales was terrific with their soups and salads, and their entrees were also killer. The theme nights at Manglar were the icing on the cake. If you see chocolate fondue (French night) don't hesitate to get it. I don't know what they put in the chocolate down there but it is something else. While there are MANY positives about the place, nothing is perfect. The area adjacent to the property and behind it are not pretty. These areas are authentic Mexico, and that's something to consider if you need to be totally sterilized in what you see. Frankly, I am shocked to read some people get upset by this in their review. I kept my focus on the beach, mountains, ocean, food, and drinks during our stay. The beach was another thing that is worth mentioning. It is not like the white, sandy beaches you read about in the Carribean or Cancun. It was rocky in places and painful to walk without shoes. But it didn't bother us one bit. You don't need the beach when the pools are right there. The most important thing is the sound of the ocean, and you can hear this from anywhere on the property. The final negatives are the street vendors and time share people. Strangely, there weren't any TS people near the hotel or beach so I can't comment on this. But be very careful when you step right outside of customs at the airport: they try to grab you the second you step through the door. That was the last we saw of them. But the vendors are another story. They are there. Most don't say a word to you, they just look at you with sad eyes. They hold their wares up high and if you look their way they'll motion you. You can just ignore them if you want or you can go over to them. There's no pressure either way.
What I don't remember anyone mentioning is that the Premiere has a security guard there all day to monitor these people. They are not allowed on the property and must stay a certain distance away. They may only approach if you show interest, and even then they are still not allowed to step foot on the property. The vendors were a total non-issue for us except that I bought some t-shirts from one and went para-sailing with another (don't miss it!). All things considered, we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. It was the prefect honeymoon. I'll never forget our stay there and I'll always treausure the sunsets over the ocean from our balcony. I'm sorry for the long review, but I am grateful for finding the Premiere from this website and I feel obligated to tell my tale. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

• Stayed April 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2004

Thank goodness we found this website.......it helped us choose the Premiere for our 15-yr. anniversary getaway, and we did have such wonderful time - still having margarita/guacamole withdrawals!!! It fit our needs for several reasons: (1) Smaller resort, with all of the amenities of a larger resort except the crowds (2) Wonderful food - please believe all of the reviews in this category (3) Friendly, helpful staff and (4) Close proximity to town. We enjoyed hanging out & relaxing, yet we also liked experiencing the unique culture of the city. Since this was our first trip to P.V., we loved being able to walk out the front door and get to shopping, restaurants, etc......yet with this convenience comes the minor drawback of being close to some "eyesore", rundown properties and buildings. Based on some of the previous reviews, this may bother some more than others. The street vendors and time-share people did approach us often, yet were not as annoying as I expected. A simple "No gracias" usually sent them on their way, plus NO eye contact! All in all, we had a great experience, met lots of neat people, LOVED the Premier and hope to return again one day. My only suggestion to the Premier if this review is read: install a large hot tub near the main pool area.........and buy the "eye-sore" property next door and expand your awesome resort!!!!

1 Thank emmy
Victoria, BC Can
Reviewed April 2, 2004

Spent the week of Mar 13-20 at the hotel. Was wonderful. If looking for a relaxing and quiet time (ie with no kids running around) and a very friendly and professional hotel staff, stay here. The meals were excellent. Did not want to leave the hotel to sample a meal elsewheres. Would rate the stay at this hotel 9 out of ten ! Lost 1 point due to wine list at restaurants was limited, but still would recommend.

Reviewed March 19, 2004

Just returned from a week at the Premiere, and it was definitely primo!
Small, quiet, friendly -- rooms have beautiful views with sunsets.
Can't say enough about the terrific food in all three restaurants on the property, but be sure to reserve for Murales and eat the calamari, scallops, shrimp, and huachinango dishes. The duet of cream soups, and the camerone (shrimp) soup -- just great! The malecon is just steps away from the hotel, and there are terrific restaurants all around for those not on the inclusive plan. A couple of female springbreakers showed up at the Premiere with very unhappy looks -- this is not a place that would please them -- that's next door at the Buenaventura.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2004

Just returned from a weeks stay, and would not stay at the hotel again.
We were just looking to relax and be low key but the whole trip was
somewhat of a assault on the senses. I don't know what is going on in
PV. This was my 3rd trip and it seems like the vendors on the beach and
the time share/watersports merchants have gotten very aggressive and
just won't leave you alone....I never noticed this in the previous two
trips. Specific issues I had with the hotel: To call the hotel a "spa"
is little bit misleading I think. I am not picky, or hard to please but
I found the facilities to be very lacking though. There is nothing
tranquil or peaceful about the place. All of the employees were very
nice and tried really hard to make you feel wlecome; no complaints
whatsoever in that department. The restaurants were decent, nothing
special.
The hotel is located in a somewhat crappy looking part of town. Expect to be accosted by teenagers looking for money and then all kinds of hawkers when you walk down the street towards downtown. There are a few massage parlors down the block and the women stand out in front pushing their "wares" big time. Right next door is a derelict construction project of some sort that looks like it has been abandoned for years. It has a big chain link fence around it but still 3 or 4 homeless guys were squatting there with a camp fire. They had made a couple of tents on the old foundation with sheets...it was a wonderful view off our balconey to see/listen to the guys vomitting and urinating; quite an unavoidable eyesore. In front of the hotel as we exited our room into the outdoor hallway is a some sort of abondoned 1 story apartment building with people squatting in it. From our doorway we had a nice view of the roof complete with old clothes, garbage...rotten vegetables and eggshells. Our room smelled musty; more so than usual for beach places I thought. The excercise room and no ventilation and was very stuffy and hot. The sauna in the spa was more like a closet; very small and not room for more than one person.
I would stay in the Marina district or farther south like Camino Real
next time.

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed March 9, 2004

My husband and I just arrived back from a two week stay at the Premiere Hotel and Spa in Puerto Vallarta. This was our second stay at this property and again it exceeded all expectations. We were on the all-inclusive plan and found this to be very economical and surprisingly good. The restaurants are all a la carte (no buffets) and we liked this very much. Room service is also included and there is nothing nicer than having breakfast out on your balcony quietly starting the day enjoying the beautiful scenery in privacy. The restaurants offer quite a selection of dishes with the one restuarant offering a nightly special menu that was quite varied, although repeated once over the two weeks. Our room was a good size and very well appointed. We had a jacuzzi on our patio, although for the extra expense I am not sure we would have it again. The hotel staff are very professional and courteous. The concierge staff are attentive and very sweet. I had a cold during our second week and they had a flower left on my pillow at turn down with a note hoping I would be feeling 100% soon. A very sweet gesture you wouldn't expect at a larger hotel. The size of this property is also something that makes it much more homey and comfortable - under 85 rooms. This means that most hotel common areas and restaurants are never jam packed or too noisy. This is a great proprty for a relaxing time in PV and is definitely not for those wanting the crowds and party-party atmosphere present at some of the larger hotels. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and hope your stay is as wonderful as ours was!!

1 Thank DudleyandMorgansMom
Reviewed March 1, 2004

I have to admit that I am spoiled by living on Maui. Puerto Vallarta was below the standards I am used to. But the Premiere was definitely the highlight of our honeymoon. The food was truly excellent. The couple of times we ate outside the hotel we were disappointed. We were on the all-inclusive and I'm glad we were because the portions were small, so I had to order extra quite often to make sure I was satisfied, and they were always willing to accomodate no matter what the request. The service was great. We loved the staff.

The room was clean, but barely a three-star. We had to get an iron and ironing board from housekeeping. The other gripe about the hotel was that getting a chair at the pool requires a presidential order. People go out early in the morning and save chairs, and then don't use them until the afternoon. It is very frustrating.

The one thing about PV that really turned me off was the relentess attack by time share agents on the streets, in the restaurants, at the airport. They were everywhere, and they were obnoxious and rude. The crazy thing is that I'm a time share agent, so either I'm extra sensitive to it, or I truly can see when they are going beyond the point of reason. I even had one agent try to pimp out a woman to me.
They really sucked out some of the joy of our visit.

But we loved the hotel and I would totally recommend it to anyone who asked.

2 Thank George W