“will gladly return to the Premiere”

Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 1, 2004

We stayed at the premiere the week of jan 24-31, 2004. We chose it based on the numerous good reviews it received at this site. We had a suite with an indoor jacuzzi, and the all-inclusive option. The suite is about 600sq. ft. I'll get all the bad stuff out of the way first. The beds are really hard, but we like em that way. The beach is small, with lots of small rocks/stones. We spoke to some couples that come to P.V. every winter, and they told us the hurricane did a lot of damage to the beach areas by the hotels, and some of that has not been corrected. One of the couples was at the Sheraton a couple blocks away, and said they were working on getting the rocks out of the beach area. Remember, this is Mexico, and they operate on a different clock than the U.S. The breakfast and lunch menus don't change during the week. By the end of the week, you will be tired of the lunch selections. We ate a couple of times at the neighboring Buenaventura. The food wasn't as good, but it was a change of pace. The service was just as good. Some people may think it is too quiet, with too few activities. Most of the people come there for just that reason. There are WAY to many resorts in Mexico where the music blares all day, and there is somebody on the loudspeaker constantly telling you how and when to have fun. Don't plan on being in a hurry when you sit down for a meal. Breakfast and lunch took 45-80 minutes. That's just the way things are done. But, remember, you are on vacation, and unless you have an appointment for something, sit back, relax, and enjoy. Now, on to the good parts. The food was good for breakfast and lunch, excellent for dinner. The service at all three restaurants was excellent. To all those weinie-whiners complaining about the staff ignoring them, or not speaking good enough English, etc., - You obviously didn't spend much time getting to know them. All of the staff were very friendly, and if a mistake was made, would go to great lengths to correct it. And yes, although it is all-inclusive, tipping helps. For less than $100 for the week, you can ensure that all your needs are met, a cheap price compared to the overall cost of a vacation. We didn't use the spa at the Premiere, but did go next door to the Buenaventura, and the Spa at Terra Noble on the recommendation of another reviewer. Although the prices were better at both of these, you had to work up enough energy to leave the premises. The food at El Manglar and Murales was excellent, as was the presentation. We managed to try all the different desserts during the week, and got the recipe for the Creme of Vanilla w/fruit from the chef. We have vacationed someplace warm every year since 1981, and I think this is the first time we have had the staff address by name, and take the time to just hang out and chat. This greatly enhanced the weeks stay. This was our 7th trip to Mexico, our first to P.V., and I can see why so many people return there year after year. So, if you're looking for the complete package for a quiet, relaxing vacation, the Premiere is the place to go.

• Stayed: January 2004
3  Thank happy2bwarm
Write a ReviewReviews (2,623)

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
Reviewed January 28, 2004

PREMIERE HOTEL & SPA: re: observations - My wife and I just spent 7 nights at the Premiere Hotel & Spa. One of its greatest assets of this resort is its size, only 83 units and all with an ocean view. Within the 83 units you can upgrade to additional amenities such as a spa bath tub, wet bar, and seating lounge area. You can walk to the Malecon, a walkway with art sculpture, either by the main street or by the beach.
If you are into working out, this is a great hotel. Long walks on a beautiful beach or urban walks on a well lighted blvd. past many of the hotels is an early morning delight. The hotel features an exercise gym with a complement of equipment. The Gym is a great place to meet guests both male and female from the hotel and swap stories about hometowns. I learned more about local economies in the US and Canada than from the Wall Street Journal; you will meet Americans and Canadians from cold weather climates! In the gym we all enjoyed the TV that we set on the CNN English language channel. Of particular interest was "Chad, the weatherman". He is formerly from Detroit and understands the cold temperatures and wind chill factors of the Great Lakes region. I found the corserige service a real asset to my stay. Business questions and contacts were arranged for me after she checked out my requests. If you are worried about your e-mail, their are cyber cafes within a short walk. It's a great way to send an electronic postcard. Signature: GUEST who will be back next winter.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed January 27, 2004

After several stays at the Qualton Club/Spa, we were ready to upgrade our hotel and location during our annual trip to PVA. This year we stayed at the Premiere, and it lived up to our expectations. If you're looking for a location that is convenient to downtown, this hotel is perfect. It's an easy walk to the Malecon and shopping, or to the hotel zone. It's quiet....not for those young, or young at heart who like to party. Don't let the entrance lobby fool you. At first I was disappointed because it was not large or grand. We soon found the Premiere was a small intimate hotel with excellent staff eager to provide personal service. The towels are generous. Our room was large and beautiful. The food was excellent and presented beautifully. I would describe it as Mexican cuisine, but with as much variety as you would find at any fine restaurant. If you're looking for "authentic Mexican" food, look to the small eateries elsewhere where the locals eat. The pools were never crowded; there were plenty of cushioned chairs, poolside or beachside. The biggest disappointment was in the beer....no bottled beer, and NO Corona...only Sol in a can. I'm not a beer drinker, but according to my husband, this is unacceptable. But even he felt this to be a minimal hardship compared to the amenities provided at the Premiere. I'm sure newer and finer hotels exist, especially in Nuevo Vallarta....but none have the convenient location of the Premiere.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed January 24, 2004

We found PV in the early 80's. Stayed at the Las Palmas for many years.
Great place when our kids were young. Lots of activities, great service, wonderful food and the beach was awesome. Then they went all-inclusive. The crowd changed (heavy early morning drinking), the food changed (buffet only) and the service changed (no incentive to tip=bad service). Over the years we had seen the Premier being built, (takes about 1 decade from start to finish), and we tried it on our first trip without the kids. Here are the advantages: Close enough to downtown to walk. Quiet in comparison to hotels with kids. Not crowded.
Small hotel personal service. Nice rooms, ALL WITH A VIEW BALCONY. We have encouraged our friends to use the Premier and had a big 40th suprise birthday for my wife last year. All involved were very impressed and said they will be back. Based on the reviews I have been reading, we are going to try the all-inclusive for the first time on our trip this February. I hope that the food has improved over our last trip. If not, we will have to drink extra hard to justify the cost!

Reviewed January 23, 2004

My hubby and I stayed at the Premiere for our 5 year anniversary (Jan 19-23) We booked this hotel due to the great reviews and we were somewhat disappointed. We had a room with a Jacuzzi inside and found the room to be beautifully decorated. However, we were in the last room on the 2nd floor and you get to see the wash or storm drain with all the trash flow by when it is high tide! Yuck! It somewhat took away from the beauty of the ocean. We had this room for 2 days and then changed when one was available to a room with the jacuzzi outside.
Highly recommend this! However, in both rooms, the beds were extremely uncomfortable and hard. Murales, the restaurant that you need to make reservations for was fantastic! Food and service was excellent there as we dined there the night we arrived and our last night there. Our first morning there, we had breakfast by the pool. Service was terrible as they kept forgetting our order. They really didn't seem to care, either. My husband and I are not ones to make a scene so we just waited and hoped things would get better. Food was average at best. We started ordering from room service and found the service was impeccable and it arrived exactly as ordered. The menu in the other restaurant changed nightly (Italian, Mexican, seafood) but we were hoping for some authentic tamales, enchiladas, etc., but that never happened. I found the menu to be very disappointing. I will say that the salsa was very good, though. Let me also say that we tipped constantly hoping that would help. We did a 4 hr spa treatment that was heavenly. They were absolutely delightful there. I will say that the place is very quiet and peaceful but seems to attract a clientele of mostly senior citizens. Overall for the money that we spent for this trip, I would not have stayed at this hotel since I believe the reviews are quite overrated.

3  Thank SoCalDee
Lincoln, CA
Reviewed January 20, 2004

We just returned from our seven night honeymoon at the Premiere Hotel in Puerto Vallarta and it was absolutely fantastic! All of the positve reviews were right on. We can't understand how anybody could say anything negative about this place. The staff was very accomodating, the food was like a four star restaurant in the states, the spa was first class and the room itself was perfect. We recommend asking for one of the eight rooms with a jacuzzi on the balcony upon check-in. A small donation to the front desk secured us the first available and we were moved the next morning. Nothing beats sipping champagne(a honeymoon gift left in our room from the staff) in a jacuzzi overlooking the ocean at sunset. Again, a nice quiet hotel with excellent food and a fantastic staff. Most people that we talked to said that they return here every year and we can definitely understand why. Even the locals commented on how great the Premiere's reputation is. All in all, we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing and exotic vacation where every last need is taken care of for you.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 11, 2004

I just came back from a 6 night stay at the Premiere in Puerto Vallarta. I read many reviews on the place, and decided that the good reviews outnumbered the bad ones - so I took the chance. Well all I can say is that it was one of the best hotels I have stayed at. I had the all inclusive and the meals were outstanding - a gourmet's delight.
There was enough variety at the hotel and next door at the Buenaventura that we didn't get bored. I did not find the beds hard, and the service was prompt and courteous. Alejandra the hostess, Gerard, Rodrigo, and Eduardo and the other staff knew how to meet your needs. They knew our names and we got to know theirs, one of the benefits of a small hotel.

In summary, I will be back for sure.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member