“Good Eats”
Review of Lobo Lui's BBQ Shack - CLOSED

Lobo Lui's BBQ Shack
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: We bring authentic pit BBQ to Puerto Vallarta, with our custom built Ole Hickory Pit. We have the first and the only low and slow BBQ restaurant in PV. For delicious Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, Turkey and Monster Dinosaur Pork Ribs stop by. Combined with our custom homemade potato salad, coleslaw and smoked BBQ baked beans we have the flavors you enjoy at a backyard BBQ. All our dry rubs and Tequila based BBQ sauce are made in house. With our private backyard patio, you will have a relaxing, casual place to socialize with family and friends or a opportunity to make new friends that may last a lifetime. Doug and Ruth the two crazy Canadians that run the joint are always good for fun chitchat and to assist you in anyway possible.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Good Eats”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I'm not an expert on BBQ, but the four of us found the food delicious and the price reasonable. We took advantage of the Wednesday 13 rib rack special, the wives shared one and the husbands one each. They were delicious and there were enough ribs left over for lunch the next day. The house Margaritas were good and well priced and the side of pork and beans were awsome. Try it you'll like it!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank OsoyoosPrincesa
Loco_Lobo_Lui, Owner at Lobo Lui's BBQ Shack, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you, Ruth and I are happiest when we know that you had a good time and enjoyed your meal. Thanks again, Doug.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy Smoked Meat Sandwiches”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

During an afternoon stroll, we ventured off The Malecon and happened upon a sign "NHL Hockey is back". We could not resist as it was the day of the first game for the Winnipeg Jets. The gentleman at the door kindly checked to see if the game was available and to our surprise it was. As it turned out the Jets did not have a great game but we sure had a great meal! We started with a cold well made margarita. I had the Pulled Pork sandwich and my husband the Smoked Turkey. Both were moist and plentiful.We topped them with their BBQ sauce which complimented the meat instead of overpowering the flavour. The sandwiches come with very good coleslaw. With the side of fries we shared, we were full but had to try the Bourbon Butter Banana Bread pudding. Very tasty! Our waiter was very helpful and pointed out the smoker on the 2nd floor and explained the meat was smoked on site. The sandwiches are 89 pesos, the fries 45 pesos and pudding 59 pesos. All in all it was a wonderful way to spend a few hours on a warm Saturday afternoon in PV.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank WinnipegD
Thank you so much for the nice review. Come and watch the Jets any time, we have the Centre Ice package and will certainly try and accomadate your requests or if you want to see Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary or even Vancouver sometimes. Thanks again.
North Battleford, SK
“Great find!!! Cannot wait to go back!!!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Went to this place after reading an article in the PV Mirror and as a recommendation from a fellow resort friend.

I have never had authentic BBQ and have wanted to try it for a long time.

At first was completely impressed me was the decor. Very nice and immaculately clean. Was extremely easy to get too - all you have to do is take a taxi to the side street of cheeky monkey or the ladder statue. And the it is three doors back. Other then the 2 steps to get into the restaurant it is wheelchair / easy access inside. Again, I loved the decor!! So clean

Service was great. Our waiter Luis answered all our questions and made good recommendations. Met the owner - very friendly and talkative. Even gave us the tour of the smoker that took a crane to put onto the second floor. Had it delivered to PV from Missouri.

Menu was extensive. Anyone would be able to find something to eat and enjoy.

We, along with others walked out with doggy bags. 3 of us shared an appetizer if burnt ends and a platter for two and we were so full. The sides that come with the platter are wonderful. Platter had smoked turkey, brisket, ribs and pork. Came with coleslaw, baked beans and potato salad and rolls. Their own special BBQ sauce is killer!!! Want them to bottle it.

Prices are extremely reasonable!!

My new favourite place in PV hands down. Cannot wait to go back.

1 Thank Tracey E
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“Nice people, average BBQ”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I happened upon Lobo Lui's last week during my stay in PV. I have a friend who told me about it, stating the BBQ was at best average. I travel a lot, and everywhere I go seek out BBQ restaurants, so I have a pretty good palate for this style of cuisine. My friend was correct...the people are hospitable and kind, but the food simply needs flavor. I had the brisket and pulled pork. Both were tender but a little dry. The potato salad and coleslaw were ample in quantity, as was the meat, but all three lacked any degree of seasoning or spices. Why not add some pepper, cayenne, or relish to the sides? Why not add some hickory chips, cherry wood, or mesquite to the smoker? Merely relying on drowning BBQ in a sauce is not the preferred way of preparing and serving BBQ to those of us who want a more flavorful experience. PV has lots of wonderful places to dine, and I suspect I will try all the others before returning to Lobo Lui's.

• Visited December 2012
Loco_Lobo_Lui, Owner at Lobo Lui's BBQ Shack, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hi Woodrow, thank you for posting your comments. I don't take exception to anything you say about our seasoning and sometimes our meat is a little dry. We use the brisket and the pork that is available, our preference is to use Mexican pork because it has a higher fat content than the American pork we buy at Costco but sometimes we have no choice. And the funny part is that the American beef brisket has too much fat and the Mexican brisket is some of the time too lean. It gets into what is available and doing the best with what is available, although things are improving here, this is still classified as a third world country. Usually we have been able to balance our meat requirements with the quality that we expect and want to serve our customers, I am truly sorry that our food was not up to your expectations. Our potato salad is a Canadian version and we do not put pickles or cayenne or other strong flavored spices in it, just eggs, green onions, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper along with the potatoes. The coleslaw is usually well received and I have customers that drink the sauce that is left in the bottom of the bowl.

We can not get fruit wood here as this is the tropics, apple, cherry, pecan, maple, hickory and so on are not available. In the state of Jalisco (Puerto Vallarta is in this state) it is illegal to cut down the Mesquite trees. So our choice of wood is limited, we use oak from El Tuito about 75 miles south of town. Talking to a KCBS competition BBQ guy today, he imports the same oak for his team.

Give us another try and lets talk BBQ, maybe you could help us improve our overall product. Again thank you for your comments and the next time when you are in PV looks us up, we are constantly trying to improve our offerings. Doug
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love all their smoked meats; especially the turkey.”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hospitality of the Canadian owners of this Texas style barbecue restaurant is only surpassed by the excellent food. Smoked turkey, brisket, ribs and pulled pork are complimented by the homemade fresh coleslaw and potato salads. All so tasty. The desserts are made by one of the owners and the "Better Than Sex Brownie" is absolutely the best I have ever tasted. If nothing else just have the brownie.; it's the best sinful calories offered in the area in my opinion. It's easy to find too; just a block off the boardwalk and city square in Puerto Vallarta.

1 Thank Irissiriiris