“Great value and food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

About twenty of us descended on Magna Magna on 4th January and the staff were almost overwhelmed. But we knew it would happen and so were quite prepared to spend a leisurely evening in a pleasant atmosphere and to enjoy excellent food.

I ordered shrimps cooked in a blue cheese, creamy sauce and sprinkled with finely ground coffee. It sounds a bit weir but it was excellent and I would like to have the receive! It was served with steamed vegetables and there was lots of homemade bread available too. I followed this with crime brûlée, that was OK but not spectacular.

The cost for my wife and I was 550 pesos and included two salads, bread, two main dishes, three large glasses of sangria ( which were excellent ), two desserts and coffee.

We both enjoyed the food and the servers. We plan to return soon to Magna Magna but will come with just a couple of friends next time.

Towards the end of the evening another group came in and they had a couple of dogs with them. Not everyone likes to eat with dogs in a restaurant so if this is a concern for you perhaps you should check to see if canines are expected during your visit. For us it was no problema.

2  Thank John W

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The bruschetta was the best ever, we had a group and tried a wide selection of entrees, the beef in reduction sauce was the best. The fish, ravioli and lasagna had a lot of fresh vegetables and was more refreshing that what you typically think of in the US.

The owner / cook greeted us and made us feel welcome - great atmosphere and worth finding, just 3 bloks off Insurgents from the Super Farmicia

2  Thank JPollock311
Reviewed December 22, 2012

After reading about this restaurant from someone whose restaurant choices I have great respect for, my hopes were high for something special, something gourmet, something that would be unforgettable. That's a tall order to walk into a restaurant with and expect to leave happy. Magna Magna definitely came through.

This is a small quiet restaurant where the owner and chef is usually your waiter and bartender as well, so take your patience with you....sit back, chill, and relax. It isn't priced as if there is a full staff anyway so you have nothing to lose. For alcoholic drinks your best bet would be to order from the quality wine list or something, I don't think mixed drinks are his specialty...he's definitely an accomplished Italian chef, not a bartender.

My husband had the Baby Beef with Apples and Mushrooms for 120 Pesos and he loved it. Luca prepared our friend what he asked for....even though it wasn't on the menu. I don't recommend doing this as there are some wonderful sounding dishes on the menu. His wife had the Spaghetti and Meatballs....she is not a risk taker so she went with the tried and true and said it was wonderful. I had the Vegetable Ravioli for 125 Pesos....it was exquisite. It had the complex taste I was searching for and it made me want to go back for that dish again on our trip.

We all had a serving of small chopped steamed vegetables which included Chayote. It was so different and pleasing that our friend purchased the vegetables at the central market the next day and tried to recreate it...which he came close enough.

We were served Limocella afterwards on the house, and there were other things on the house that I can't remember, because my dinner was so good.

4  Thank KansasPVgal
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The new location is much larger but on the second floor further down the street. Food is presented well and cooked to perfection. The lunch special at $700 MP including a glass of wine is a real deal.

2  Thank PVexpert
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We went here for a date night and the meals were awsome the service was perfect and what a great atmosphere. The pasta was very fresh , there was a good selection of appitizers and the deserts are great too.

3  Thank Brendan H