“Fire the lot!”
Review of Sonora Grill Prime

Sonora Grill Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Sonora Grill Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 1,031 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: PELICANOS Y CARRTERA FEDEREL 200
Description: Sonora Grill blends the irresistible taste of the cuts Sterling Silver with first class service and an innovative and unique atmosphere. We have an excellent selection of Mexican and international wines, resident dj every day and double distilled beverages. We're waiting for you!
Vancouver, BC
“Fire the lot!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were looking for a lunch spot and the Sonora Grill Prime had great street appeal both inside and out. There was one other couple in a large setting, so it was pretty obvious there were more servers than customers.

We were given a very nice bowl of guacamole with three different hot sauces. Presentation was nice and service friendly. We had ordered a hamburger with fries and two Corona's. The fries came after about 15 minutes and then nothing happened for another 20 minutes - nobody came by to see if we wanted another beer or to advise when our order would arrive.

Our server had been joking with other servers and the chefs (its an open grill kitchen, so we could see 3 or 4 people standing around). I waved him over and asked about our hamburger. He said he would check but never returned. Realization hit me that he had forgot our order, so I got up and went to the grill and asked him when we could expect it. He said it would be soon, they had just " been waiting for fresh beef to arrive". I told him that was BS and asked for the bill.

He returned with the bill and said the fries were on the house. I gave him 100 pesos for the two beers and expected 20 pesos change - I wasn't about to tip the guy. However, he never returned and remained in the back corner until we just got fed up and left.

On the way out, we asked the hostess (a very pleasant, helpful lady) if we could see the manager. After a few minutes she returned and advised that "the manager is in his office and won't be coming out". We thanked her and left.

The owner of the restaurant has a huge capital investment as well as presumably expensive overhead with rent and staffing. I hope he reads this and replaces the manager with someone competent to manage staff and to hire people that can admit to a simple mistake of forgetting.

There are plenty of great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta that offer excellent food and service in lovely surroundings, but the Sonora Grill is not one of them!

4 Thank TravelRichard

Fort Collins, Colorado
“new restaurant marina area”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

tried sonora after driving past it a few times. beautiful, modern decor, great menu and service. everything we ordered was fantastic- steak, side dishes, drinks. definitely will return.

Visited December 2012
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Rip off”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Be careful of the prices was charged 1136 pesos for 2 steaks, we were very upset, tried to talk to manager but to no avail. It was my husband!s birthday and happened to mention it during our meal. At the end they skared my husband by coming to his back and started to sing and they brought a nice cake, but guess what? Was charged 65 pesos for this.
We live here in Vallarta and this was a real bad experience price wise and had the feeling of being laughed at, will never go back.

5 Thank Helene D
Canada
“Don't bother”
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Over priced and horrible disinterested service. We walked out after waiting 45 mins for an appy. Not what you normally expect in PV.

2 Thank Latetripper
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Excellent Steak, Excellent Service!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A 16oz. NY Strip, medium was perfect accompanied by grilled onions and chilies AND included was creamed spinach, as well as a choice of others,but I went for the traditional spinach. The very attentive and quick service could not have been better. One note: I was seated in the non-smoking area, only to have some thoughtless person have a cigarette for dessert, annoying several in my area. I requested to be moved and that request was granted immediately, before my dinner was brought out. I was offered 2x1 Don Julio 70, which was a surprise. The steak was MUCH BETTER than that of a certain "UNCLE" in New York City, but you didn't here it from me. Two glasses of wine, the meal and tequila was around $95.00 not including tip. I did not have dessert. EXCELLENT.