“Wonderful getaway experience”

Ranked #69 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vista, California, United States
“Wonderful getaway experience”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I came to Villa Azalea to get away from the rat race of the city to rest and recuperate before returning to our work again. We found the perfect place: a magical organic farm that was hosted by a family and a small group of staff. Dulce, our host, made sure we were comfortable and took care of us in many small detailed ways. She was anxious to please and ready to accommodate. Her son, Santiago, was a delight to be around. He was smart, easy going and very friendly. He took us on a tour of the Botanical Gardens which was also amazing! We were lucky to be the only two guests for a few days, so we enjoyed the peace and quiet. At night, we would watch DVDs from their tremendous collection. The two best parts of the visit: 1. the amazing landscape and river 2. the delicious, healthy and farm grown food! Be sure if you lay out to sunbathe by the pool to get the "no-see-um" bug repellent. All in all, our trip was fantastic and highly recommended. Thank you Dulce and Santiago for taking such good care of us.

Room Tip: If you get a room upstairs, be sure to request a key to the security gate for access at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DulceArguero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you very much for appreciating our service and choose Villa Azalea for your special moments. You make us feel very motivated to continue providing our best to make every guest feel special.
See you around here again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seal Beach, CA
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was indeed a highlight. Santiago picked us up at our lodging and drove us to this gorgeous property for our cooking class. Upon arrival he showed us and explained the ins and outs of organic farming...we then proceeded to the green houses where we wandered among very healthy looking plants to pick the veggies for our salad, a variety of lettuces and tomatoes, leeks and onions. We were then led over to a screened area to meet Chef Victor. He had posted today!s luncheon menu , arranged equipment and ingredients around a lovely old wooden work table. While learning and prepping food we were treated to mojitos while also listening to music(my favorite way to cook, music and a little toddy) grinding peppers, making stock, tasting spices, Victor guided us with both modern and traditional methods. Our sous chef kept the tools clean and had all ingredients at the ready. Lunch was served...chicken con mole steamed in a banana leaf, whitefish with a "pink" mole made with three kinds of nuts, beets and white chocolate, our hand picked salad, fresh rolls and tortillas along with white wine. All this served at a beautifully set table. Later on Dulce escorted us through the inn and invited us to sit on the balcony where we would be served dessert while gazing at the river, the vegetation and just relaxing. What a great day....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Villa Azalea is a beautiful, calming place to stay. The villa is a dramatic, modern building with very nice rooms, comfortable beds and attractive, well-appointed shared spaces. Everything is nicely decorated and very clean. There is a large swimming pool, a river runs through the property and there are organic fruits and vegetables growing everywhere. The villa is near (5 minute drive) from the Vallarta Botanical Gardens, a great place to go birding, see native plants and swim in river pools. It is also a short distance from several beaches and small towns. Dulce and Santiago were attentive hosts and they had lots of suggestions for daily activities. The food was delicious!

1 Thank Sharon H
DulceArguero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
To have guest like you our job is a real pleasure to meet nice people like you, so friendly and always enjoying every moment, every detail, and loversof bird watching and nature this is a true paradise.
Norwich
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am not sure where to begin with this review. The beauty and serenity of the property are only topped by the graciousness and hospitality of Dulce and the staff at the Villa Azalea. After the winter we have experienced this year our stress levels were off the charts and our anticipation levels were equally high. The Villa met and then exceeded all of our expectations. From the time we arrived at the Villa our stress began melting away. The first two days activities included lounging by the pool, lounging on the sandbar in the river that flows through the property, and lounging on the terrace. These lounging sessions were followed by a daily siesta(what a great concept). Day three included a tour of the organic farm, harvesting salad veggies along the way, followed by an outdoor cooking class, during which we prepared our own lunch, and the more lounging by the pool. We went into town on day four and had fun, but could not get back to the Villa quickly enough. Last day followed the pattern of the first two, more lounging. I almost forgot to mention the food. Home cooked meals served on the terrace, in the courtyard, on a table in the river, or out by the lagoon were wonderful. Fresh picked produce and herbs graced every plate. The largest decisions the we had to make all week were red or white wine.
This vacation was certainly in the top two or three that we have ever taken together, and that is because of the Villa Azalea and its superlative proprietor Dulce. Peace, Blessings, Namaste.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor and leave the sliding glass doors open so you can fall asleep to the sou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DulceArguero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you very much for such a beautiful description of the feelings of people when visit Villa Azalea, all we say is undoubtedly is the presence of God in the place, and the love to whole staff, for our guests and visitors, is reflected in the result of people like you to return to their homes refreshed and satisfied. Thank you and we wish you every year around here, as promised.
Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We have always had very good experiences with places we stay in PV, but Villa Azalea really stands out, thanks to hosts Dulce and Santiago. It's about 10 minutes south of the Botanical Gardens, so well away from the busy-ness of town, but still close enough to get to town when you want. At the back of the property there is a small river with a waterfall which you overlook from the terrace and from some of the rooms. Other rooms open onto a sun-lit central courtyard. The whole property is beautifully landscaped, with a profusion of fruit trees. We were in a courtyard room for 2 nights -- the room was very spacious, including separate sleeping and sitting areas, a mini-fridge, flat-screen TV and those lovely waffle-cotton robes and slippers. The rooms are decorated with colourful art, with some quite impressive sculptures in the public areas. While there is no TV, there is a huge selection of DVDs to choose from. Three meals are included with a night's stay -- each one was excellent, and wherever possible made using produce grown in the organic greenhouses on the property. Dulce's soups are excellent; we also had a Chicken Lasagna with poblano and tomatillos that was my favourite entree. Everything was prepared and seasoned beautifully -- my husband is a bit of a salt fiend, but only added it once to something -- this is unheard of, believe me! Home-grown and homemade preserves are served with breakfast. We thought we might go out and do something while there, but it was just so relaxing and comfortable that we stayed put, walking, watching movies, or lounging by the pool. An added bonus for us, travelling with our small dog, is that Villa Azalea is pet-friendly.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are larger and open onto the central courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DulceArguero, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
It is always a pleasure to meet guests like you who allow us to pamper and preparing different courts, knowing That you will appreciate and enjoy the different areas we have, while being small try to enjoy each of them. We appreciate what You have very educated your pet.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have a lot of experience in the Puerto Vallarta area. I the first visited the area in 1982 and I take an annual return trip every winter time. My family members reside in the Riviera Nayait area for the past 7 years and I have explored most of the surrounding areas. I can truly say that Villa Azalea is one of the most beautiful and unique experiences I have ever had in all of Mexico. It is located perfectly. Far enough away from the city, yet close enough to enjoy day trips to Vallarta or off the grid picturesque beaches that are not swamped by vendors and tourist. Dulce and her son Santiago rolled out the red carpet for us. Dulce’s kindness and hospitality (not to mention her cooking) are unmatched by any concierge I have experienced. I called in advance and requested a very special evening/dinner be prepared for me and my girlfriend. Words cannot describe the romantic scene that Dulce and Santiago created. At the end of the meal I took to one knee and ask my girlfriend to marry me. Thank you again to Villa Azalea for everything. We will never forget you.

P.S. She said “YES”.

Room Tip: Simply ask Dulce (owner) what is available. Not a "bad" room on the property
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
It is the first time we have a delivery engagement ring! definitely we enjoyed it a lot, we were more excited than them, to put it in the dessert and place torches, etc.. so that was really memorable for everyone! also for the staff and guests who were here. Congratulations again and thanks for letting participate of this special moment. We hope to see you next year.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I purchased groupon deal for this villa and it was definitely worth every penny. My mother and I visited for 4 days in February and it was such a lovely experience. I greatly recommend this villa for anyone that is traveling to Puerto Vallarta, it is close enough to all the tourist attractions but away from all the cliche resorts. Dulce and Santiago are two of the most courteous, attentive and generous people that I have ever met. As soon as you arrive you are comforted by their welcoming presence.

The villa itself is very nice and very clean. My mother and I were fortunate enough to have the entire villa to ourselves for two days which was very nice. All the staff were very attentive. Dulce was nice enough to upgrade my mother and I to a suite which was great. The beds are extremely comfortable and the artwork in every room is so unique. The entire interior designing of the villa was very well put together.

In regards to the food, all of our meals were yummy. We harvested our vegetables from the garden for our fresh salad for lunch. We enjoyed fresh juices and mojitos with our meals. All the deserts were made with ingredients from their garden, such as mango sorbet and lemon cake yummmm. My mother is a vegetarian and Dulce did her best to accommodate her on such short notice, this was definitely a great example of the staff being attentive.

Tourist Activities: My mother and I did not have a car so we used public transportation to get around and Santiago drove us a couple of places as well. I don't think a car is vital, you could definitely get around without one. I would recommend going to the Yelepa beach and exploring the beach at Puerto Vallarta as well as the town. Both Santiago and Dulce helped us a lot when it came to planning daily activities.

I can really go on and on about how lovely this place is but I think it's best for you to experience it yourself. This is a great place for couples as well. From the candle light dinners under the stars on the patio to the secluded mini waterrfall and pool, I think all couples would enjoy themselves.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, thank you, for us is very pleasant to receive such comments, with much detail, sometimes we believe that guests do not realize, but today confirmed they are in everything!
We feel a strong commitment to continue doing our best for you come back soon and recommend us to all your friends. We will always be waiting for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
#36 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Casa Iguana Hotel
Casa Iguana Hotel
#87 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Villa Azalea - Luxury B&B? Share your experiences!