“Fabulous luxury hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
north wales
“Fabulous luxury hotel”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We have just returned from a delightful week at the Now Amber resort, booked through First Choice/Thomson in UK. We normally book independent holidays but we found the best value way to get to Puerto Vallarta was in an AI package. We did not eat and drink in resort every day as we wanted to experience of the delights of the Old Town area.
We were very impressed with the bedrooms, gorgeous décor and very comfy beds. The staff were very polite and smiley, we had a warm welcome.
Restaurants were excellent. We found the lobby bar a bit busy at certain times, it is a shame there is not a bar down by the beach in the evening for a change. I suspect that there may be too many children during school holidays but they were not a problem last week. Lots of stag and hen parties and weddings, this was not a problem it just added to the happy, party holiday atmosphere.
We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: ask for high floor, don't pay extra for Club Tower, rooms are the same.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rockchickNorthWales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Korean first
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I wanted to celebrate our 20th anniversary in a special place... and Now Amber exceeded our expectations. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by staff that made us feel special. Everybody knows how to treat guests, the staff is helpful and attentive.
The hotel is beautiful, gardens and pools are very well kept, impeccable.
The rooms are spacious, bed is super comfortable, bathroom is large with a shower and a bathtub, towels are soft and fluffy...
And the view... is unbelievable! there's a balcony with 2 chairs where you can enjoy the view all day long.
We also loved the food! we tried the French restaurant (@ next door Secrets) and everything was delicious, also the Japanese and the Seafood cafe were outstanding. We loved the breakfast buffet also.
I enjoyed the fitness center, very well appointed.
I can't say enough about this beautiful place, just loved it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank karla014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My partner and I originally planned our wedding to be held at Dream Puerto Vallarta, but found out last fall that that resort was closing. AM Resorts then offered to move our wedding group to the Now Amber; however, our wedding date was no longer available at this resort. Highly skeptical that we would have a good experience, we decided to get married locally and move to the Now Amber for a honeymoon. All in all, WE MADE A GREAT DECISION!

The resort is beautiful and modern, the staff is friendly and attentive, and the food was (mostly) delicious! My partner and I went with 18 of our closest friends and most of them remarked that it was the best vacation they ever took. As soon as we arrived, we were well-taken care of and the resort offered a good balance of fun and relaxation. The rooms are beautiful, we love how you could customize the walls around the bathroom to be either closed or open, and the bed is the most comfortable I've ever slept on. We stayed on the 12th floor and had great views of the ocean and the bay, and a balcony made the view that much more spectacular. Bonuses: no wristbands to wear, no reservations needed at the restaurants, and no towel card to keep track of.

With exception of a few places, the food was delicious and service everywhere was exceptional. When they say unlimited, the mean UNLIMITED. The staff is friendly and goes out of their way to accommodate your needs. Tamarindo (Mexican), Castaways (steak and seafood), and Capers (Italian) were the best places we ate at (Tamarindo twice!). The buffet was great for breakfast, and lunch and offered a great variety for anyone's taste, though the options were the same daily. In addition, the Hamburger Festival was going on and it was great to grab a burger by the poolside grill, in addition to other summer food items.

We were glad there were a few pools to choose from; one for children, one for more quiet adults and the party pool with the swim-up bar if you wanted to be more social, as well as the beach. The open air bars in the lobbies were the best bars and each had great views. We loved that each evening had different entertainers in the bars to liven up the atmosphere. The Desires Nightclub was strange in that hardly anyone went and it was rather dark. I think with more lights and better music, it could be a great place to hang out. In addition, we saw only a few of the resort shows, but they were not that great. If you go, check out the Fire Show and teh Aztec Spirit show, those were the best.

My partner arranged a breakfast in bed one morning and it was amazing. They thought of every little detail, including flowers and champagne and it was one of the highlights of our trip. All our breakfast items were one one cart that converted into table and we enjoyed a nice breakfast on the balcony. In addition, we got a couple's massage in the spa and it was the most relaxing massage I ever had. Afterwards, we spent an hour in their fabulous spa. Don't miss this feature while you are there!

Here are a few of things we did not like as much:
- High Pressure Sales Pitch to Attend their Breakfast TimeShare Meetings: I did not like that this pitch was given as soon as we arrived. Give us more time to enjoy and explore the resort before presenting us with this pitch. If I was given the option toward the end of my stay, I would have agreed to attend this meeting, since at that point I was in love with the resort.

- Now Amber App and Wifi: BOTH were terrible. We could never get the app to work primarily because the Wifi networks were very spotty and hard to get on. It's vacation, so it's better to just leave your phone off during your trip (though the wifi is necessary to use the resort app).

- No Cold Tea in the Coffee and Dessert Bar: It would have been nice to have cold tea drinks in the coffee bar (other than hot tea choices). Every time I walked by the bar, I was craving some iced chai tea.

-Better Sushi Rolls: With access to so many fresh fish, we thought the sushi in the Asian restaurant would be delicious. I would say it is equal to sushi you may find prepackaged in grocery stores. The nigiri was very good, though.

-Busy wedding season: We were there during a time when so many weddings were taking place. This resulted in the resort being oversold, and several of our friends were being asked daily if they could share a room so they could make room for other guests. The wedding themselves weren't bad even though they took up a portion of the property. The noise level did go up, though, especially late at night when partiers were returning to their rooms. We were woken a few nights because of loud noises in the hall.

- Better Wayfinding: It's not a large resort, but they could do a better job with signs and where you can locate services and restaurants. Without good directions, I feel you could spend a lot time wandering around trying to locate where you are headed.

Room Tip: Don't splurge for the Preferred Rooms; they have the same decor at the regular tower rooms and t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank felgato
Anaheim, California
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was my husband and my first experience at an all inclusive and first time in Mexico. We stayed from April 4-9, 2014. We felt the experience was above and beyond our expectations here at Now Amber. We splurged for the preferred package with swim out pool and let me tell you, it was well worth it. I think about 6 rooms share one swim out pool but really not more than a few people were in it at a time. We still got serviced while in our swim out pool and that was really nice. The 2 cons about the swim out pool was that 1.) it didn't get as much sun on it as the main pool so the temperature was cooler and sometimes it was too cold for my liking (which then we would just go to the main pools and those weren't that crowded either) and 2.) I was really disappointed that guests from the floors above would flick their cigarette butts down into the pool. The pools was cleaned daily, but by the end of the day we would see a bunch of cigarettes floating around. We never had an issue finding an open lounge chair in the main area or palapa on the beach. Our room was immaculate. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the bathroom amenities were excellent. Supplied for us were bottles of sunblock, moisturizer, shampoo and body wash. Thank goodness, because my husband's golf bag that was carrying our sunblock didn't make it on the flight with us. Checking in was a breeze. I was afraid they were going to try and hassle us with time share/vacation club stuff, but none of that happened. We pulled into the gates, up to drop off, was greeted promptly and escorted directly to our preferred check in lobby. It was so efficient and easy! Here are some more pros:
-Husband got to play complimentary golf twice through the hotel's offer
-I went to the spa for a maternity massage and I'd give it 4/5 stars. The spa itself is amazing with the hydrotherapy pool and I appreciated the attendant's concern about the risks using some of the features of the pool while pregnant (good looking out!)
-mini bar that was stocked full every day not only of Coronitas and mini liquor bottles for my husband but sodas, juices, plenty of water bottles, pringles chips, and peanut m&ms.
-Preferred building also had a mini buffet snack bar behind the lobby which I appreciated the healthy options as well--veggie sticks, salads, fruit, etc.
-Preferred building also had it's own bar on the second floor which we didn't find out about until the second night. Carlos was our favorite bartender there. What a nice guy. It's like we knew him for years already and catching up on life.
-Speaking of the staff, everyone was so amazing. Each person that we encountered was helpful, kind and caring. Yes, I know that's their job, but it truly felt genuine. When I ordered a non-alcoholic drink (mineral water with a splash of mango concentrate was my drink of choice!) and they were surprised I didn't want to add tequila or anything to it. Once I told them I was expecting, they were all genuinely happy and started telling me about their families which was fun.
-Favorite spot was the open air lobby overlooking the pools and ocean. So beautiful, serene and breathtaking.
-If you're not travelling with kids, I highly recommend the Secrets side for dinner. All the restaurants were really good, but it was nice to be able to expand our options over there.
-We tried to make it to all the restaurants to try and almost succeeded. My favorite restaurant we went to was Tamarindo. The appetizers and poblano soup were so flavorful. The service was excellent. We got a lesson on fancy tequilas and my husband was able to do some taste testing. I forget the young gentleman's name that was the tequila expert and spent a lot of time with us teaching us about the process and the different types. He was very knowledgeable. And didn't mind that we were one of the last guests there. Such a nice guy, I wish I remembered his name.
-I recommend checking out the daily schedules of entertainment offerings. Though most of our time was spent in the pools relaxing, we did go to the fire dancer show in their outdoor amphitheater and did their kitchen tour with Jesus, one of the entertainment crews. The kitchen tour was really fun as I considered ourselves semi-foodies and like to learn about behind the scenes actions. We got to walk through the kitchens (which are so clean I would lick the counters), meet chefs, taste pastries, and enjoyed a beverage from one of the inside restaurant bars. Not to mention we got to keep our nifty chef hats.

My husband was concerned about getting bored but that didn't happen as there was a lot to do between golf, pools, entertainment, eating, and of course relaxing. We loved that everyone there, staff and guests, were so friendly (the warm sun does that to us!) and we met a lot of people there. We had no issues with our room (house keeping respected you if you didn't want them to clean or do evening service for you), no issues with noise levels, and no other issues I can think of! FYI The staff here does collect tips if offered which is fine but then that meant I had to remember to bring a purse or wallet. Overall, we have come to the conclusion that we are dedicated to this Now/Secrets/Dreams brand and hope in the future when we do plan another all-inclusive trip that we will be able to book another Now/Secrets/Dreams resort!

Room Tip: Splurge and do the preferred package with a swim out pool. It was awesome!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny H
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I have just stopped for a fortnight at this hotel, and it is really very good. The food, staff, location, rooms are what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The view from the lobby bar is really good.

We used the gym and found it well equipped for a hotel, clean and air conned and not too busy.

We had a couples massage in the Spa, which was fantastic. Get there an hour early and use the hydro therapy pools as part of the package, without paying any extra. Also, there are daily specials - we had our massage on a Sunday which made it about $50 USD cheaper.

The hotel is popular for weddings - we had at least one wedding every single day, which reduced some of the space around the pool areas, but not too much.

If I had two small moans they would be that at 3pm the entertainments team turn the pool into a bit of an 18-30 games pool, and the grounds are not big enough to get away from all the whooping and hollering! And secondly, after checking in there is a sales team that pounce on you trying to get you to buy into the vacation club, they are a little persistent unless you make it clear that you're not interested, unless of course you are.

The Capers, Castaway and Himitsu restaurants were the better places to eat, with a good choice of fine dining menus.

Overall a great hotel and holiday.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the sea and gardens, although this isn't always clear in the brochure.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank D W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first trip to this destination in Mexico, and our first experience with the Amber/Dreams/Secrets/Zoë try chain of hotels. I cannot say how happy we are that we chose to stay in this resort. From the moment the bus arrived at the gate, I knew we were in for a great time. The resort is top notch and deserves the 5 stars that it is rated at, and I as you can see, I rated this hotel as excellent.

We were greeted with a cool glass of wine, and a cool towel, to start the relaxation process as we got off the bus. No huge lines to stand in to register, and this was at noon of our first day. Loved the early departure out of Vancouver, BC, and arriving at noon in Puerto Vallarta, the day was just beginning and our travelling was done, it was like having an extra day. The staff at the front desk were polite, expedient, and were very gracious, and although, we had to wait an hour for our rooms to be ready, it gave us time to go down to the carnival restaurant, and have a very delicious lunch. I must say for the buffet style restaurant at this resort, it is a step above the normal Mexican buffet. Nice linens, professional and friendly staff, and food that is definitely a step above the norm. We only had the one lunch there, but we were there every day for breakfast and it was great, you can have a fresh omeleta, or eggs of choice, and they have lots of choices from healthy to not so healthy....wonderful buffet....LOL...but who cares you are on Vacation. They even had a Mimosa, Bloody Mary, or Caesar drink bar on the buffet........if you want to start your day out that way.

The room was beautiful, and I was a little apprehensive, because we could not get the upgrade, but we did not need it, the room ( a junior ) was amazing and had everything we could desire. We were not spending too much time there anyways, as we were enjoying the amenities of this amazing hotel most of the time, but none the less, great bed, wonderful shower, jetted tub, double sinks, beautifully appointed room....Nothing to complain about. I would advise, if you want the breathtaking sunsets off the Pacific Ocean, to get a room up high, we were on the 11th floor of the Amber tower, and they were spectacular........

The pool area was great, and the nice thing about this resort, is there are no dumb towel tickets or that any of that nonsense. If you needed a towel, there were lots of them available, and lots of nice lounge chairs and tables and such spread all over the pool area. The pools were large, clean, (the Cleanliness of the resort is outstanding by the way) and laid out with an expansive pool deck with great views of the Pacific Ocean. The pool bar is fantastic, and their bartending staff is quick, fun, and entertaining..........ala cocktail movie style..... The wait staff bringing drinks and such around the pool were also outstanding. I have no complaints about the staff at all.

The swim out room with the pool are nice, but not in my mind worth the extra money unless you want that quiet experience, then they are the ticket for you. if you want to meet people from all over the world, then the regular pools are just the best.

The restaurants are all very good, and you do not need to make reservations, so you are not falling over everyone, trying to book a restaurant reservation as soon as you arrive. There is only one that you need to make a reservation and that is for the Himitsu cooking show at the Japanese restaurant. We liked the Japanese restaurant, but we are from Vancouver BC, which has some of the finest Asian food in North America, so it was just average for us. Nice, but not outstanding, but it is very entertaining. I would go again, just for the entertainment value. The Italian Restaurant was wonderful, and we went there twice in the 10 day period, so much on the menu that you wanted to try, that you will probably do the same as us.
Have to say the Mexican Restaurant was a standout, and it is not your Canadian or American style Mexican food, this was authentic, it was amazing, and I cannot say enough about this dining experience. From the Mariachi musicians to the wait staff, the dining was most enjoyable.

The French Restaurant Bordeaux is very good, and if you like the European French dining experience this stop is for you. They have a private wine tasting area as well, if that is your thing, speak to the staff and they can fill you in. Food very elegant, and very, very European.

The Seafood restaurants Oceania and Castaways are outstanding, but we are passionate about our seafood, and neither will disappoint. The whole experience about being near the beach and having the open atmosphere that close to the ocean lends to a great dining experience. You will enjoy them as much as we did. Try Castaways for lunch as well, we found this to be a great place to cool off, and have a very tasty lunch, and its just above the pool bar, so people watching is a must.

One thing, the house wines, the whites and red, are Chilean, so they are palatable, and you do not need so spend a ton of money on wines for dinner. We stuck with the house wine, and we were happy......we are not wine snobs, but we also know what is good, and what we like. I would try them first, if not happy, then buy some wine to go with dinner.........

You will be asked to sit through their vacation club seminar or presentation, we read all the stuff on line about, and the warnings to stay away from them, but we gave them our time, and sat through it. It was not for us, as we are getting on in years, and if we were younger, we would have paid more attention to it, and it might be worth the investment. Make sure you tell them, that you will only give them so much of your time, we said we were good for 90 minutes and we were still there 180 minutes later. We finally had to interrupt the presenter and said that this was way over the time. They are gracious and not pushy, so if you are interested, give it a listen. We did receive a nice dinner on the beach as compensation for sitting through the presentation, and that was worthwhile. Totally romantic experience, for two, with a table in the sand on the beach, complete with a wonderful Smoked Marlin and Shrimp salad, Asparagus and Truffle Oil soup, Steak and Lobster, and a very elegant desert. Lots of wine too.........we were drinking a nice sparkling white..... it was worth the 90 minutes but a 180 minutes, maybe not.

The spa is very good, we both had treatments, it is expensive, but not much more than any Canadian or American spa. Great staff, and they do pamper you ........However if you are reading reviews on this hotel, they will tell you about "Healing Hands" just outside the resort. Very clean and inexpensive, and a whole hour body massage for about 25 dollars US. Liked it so much we went three times.

Great resort, that the location shares with Secrets. One side is family oriented and the other is Adults only. You share the restaurants with both hotels, but that is it, which is too bad. We stayed Now Amber, and it was wonderful, and the kids were not a problem in the least. (Amber has an explorer club for kids which is amazing I am told, they have lots of activities to keep them busy). We will come back to this resort, but I am fairly sure we will stay on the Secrets side next time, as it just seems a little more relaxing, but if not Amber is just great too. All in all, a wonderful resort and hotel, worth the money, the time, and the experience. We will do it again!!!

Room Tip: if in a junior room take conditioner if you use it.....they provide an all in one, and one of the la...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bcdurangoboy
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2014

we were here for one week for my daughter's wedding. We found the resort to be good value for the money, and the property itself is very appealing architecturally in all respects. Service was always first class and for an all inclusive we found the a la carte restaurants to be very impressive.

The wedding coordinator Fatima was very efficient and everything came off as planned. We chose to have the reception in Capers restaurant so that we could have a dance but we did not like that we had to share the restaurant with other diners. It made us concerned about the noise level from our music and we thought it would be better if there was a private room designated or if they would close the restaurant for those evenings as we did have 45 guests. At the BArcelo in the Mayan we had a traditional ball room for the wedding and had the best fun dancing til midnight without bothering anyone.

The rooms are very spacious, clean and well appointed.

For my own personal holiday choice I would never come to a hotel like this. The noise level everywhere is very intense, although they did quiet everything down by 11 at night. There are too many people milling about, and the lobby bar is the only gathering place at the end of the day and it was far too jammed with people and too hectic which is at odds with the tranquil pools and the soothing layout. Perhaps the secrets adult only side of the property would have been a better selection for those seeking rest and relaxation.

I am also really disappointed that in this day and age smoking is so tolerated everywhere on the property . I found that very disconcerting and could never escape it. I was also surprised that there is no appetizer offering in the bar at cocktail time, as we had experienced when we attended the Barcelo on the Mayan Riviera. This would be better for guests who are perhaps drinking more alcohol than normal.
We visited friends who had a room with their own swim up pool. It was fun but seemed gimmicky. most of the time we never saw anyone using these pools and they left the room smelling too musty and pool like for me.
Location is great , easy to walk to the malecon and downtown. Too far to walk safely(alongside the freeway) to the Marina though it's only a short cab ride. We followed other advice and everyone attended the Healing Hands massage studio located just outside the resort to the left. We all judged it to be the best value and highest quality massage so we give kudos to this little business and highly recommend it.

Pools were nice, lots of activities and service was great. towels were always plentiful and we liked that there is no big bureaucracy associated with getting them. no bracelets either, and we were never pestered by the ubiquitous time share venders at any time on the property.

Don't use the ATM in the hotel. The user fee is $22USD plus the usual transaction fees. There are many ATMs within a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to book in the adult only side ( Secrets) if appropriate for you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heartofagypsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#9 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#18 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!