“We love it here, it's amazing!”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“We love it here, it's amazing!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at this property for three nights, as part of a longer vacation to Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at another property for the other nights in an effort to explore our options for future trips. We have been to PVR many times, and have stayed previously on the Secrets side of this resort. We had a Preferred Garden View Room with a king bed for this stay. A bit about us...we are in our mid-30’s, and have been to Mexico many times including trips to Cancun/Cozumel/Mayan Riviera, Cabo, Mazatlan, and PVR (all multiple times). We always stay at 4.5 star or better resorts.

Check-in

Quick and painless. Our room was not ready because we arrived early, so we went and had lunch and relaxed by the pool until our room was ready. Bags were delayed a bit, but were delivered to the room after a quick phone call down to the Preferred concierge.

Room

The rooms at this property are amazing. They are beautifully decorated, clean, and have everything you need for a wonderful holiday. Rooms are large and new. They have large flat-screen tv’s, stocked mini-bars, desks, and chaise lounge. Our room had a king bed that was extremely comfortable, and a nice selection of pillows. The bathroom had double sinks, a soaker tub, huge separate walk-in shower with a bench, and separate room for the toilet. There was lots of closet and storage space, and an in-room electronic safe.

There appeared to be quite a few different channels on the tv, although we didn’t really watch tv. Apparently you can borrow movies and from a selection in the Preferred lounge, although we didn’t use this feature, so I can’t comment on selection.

Restaurants and Bars

We dined at Himitsu (Now side), Bordeaux (Secrets side), Oceana (Secrets side), and Castaways (Now side, buffet). All of the restaurants we dined at were adults only because we did not bring our children on this trip. Every meal we ate at these restaurants was excellent, as was the service. Himitus was the best Asian restaurant we’ve ever eaten at in Mexico, and they offer our favourite types of food. We ate a lot of sushi at this restaurant. None of the restaurants require reservations (except for the teppanyaki table at Himitsu), so we usually went for supper early to avoid the lines. We didn’t have a single complaint about the food or the service at any of the restaurants. I think the only issue I can see us having in the future if we return with our children (ages 10 and 13), is that they enjoy the same food we do, and the fact that despite being extremely well behaved, they wouldn’t be allowed to join us in a restaurant like Himitsu.

All the bars offer top-shelf spirits, and a nice selection of decent wine. Their bartenders can mix a variety of drinks accurately, and there was only one time the lobby bartender (on the Secrets side) was making a drink off the little menu on each table completely different from how it was described (which was actually quite funny). The lobby bars were our favorite, and their inviting setting encourages socializing. They are also a great place to watch the sunset, but get there early if you’d like a chair because a lot of people have figured this out!

The night-club is probably one of the best I’ve ever seen in a resort. It has a Moroccan style to it, and they have a dance-floor, and lots of seating, including some in private rooms with curtains. They also have a hookah bar there, and quite a few people were partaking. We don’t smoke, so it’s not our thing, but the part that we did like is that there was no smell to it (other than a bit fruity). They make smokers leave the bar area and go outside to a designated area. As non-smokers who come from a city that heavily regulates where you can smoke, we REALLY appreciated this! We went to this club every night, and the only issue is how few people come down and use the club. It’s a great lounge style dance club, and the best nights were when groups of people came down and stayed. Unfortunately, many couples would arrive, see only a few people, and leave. If a few more people would stay, you’d get that critical mass, but sadly that didn’t happen very often.

Pools

We prefer the beach to a pool at most resorts, but because the pools at this resort are essentially right at the beach, we spent time at both. There were plenty of lounge chairs around. We love the fact that you don't have to deal with towel cards, you just take a towel as you enter the pool area, and deposit it in the bins when you are finished with it. We did see quite a bit of chair saving (always annoying), although it didn’t really impact us too much on this vacation because it was just the two of us, and we could choose either the Secrets side or the Now side, so we had a lot of options. Normally when we're with family and friends on vacation and see that someone has "reserved" seats and there's nothing else available, we just remove their towels and use the space ourselves. I've never had anyone say a word when they arrive hours later and wonder what happened.

There are bar and food options around the pool. We bring water bottles with us to the beach and don’t drink alcohol during the day (typically), so I can’t comment on how often the servers came around to take drink orders. There are a number of pools on each side, and they have a kids pool on the Now side. When we asked how many kids they had registered while we were there they said less than 60 children. This meant there were not kids running around screaming on the pool deck, which was in sharp contrast to the other resort we stayed at that was absolutely overflowing with loud, screaming, hyper children. Most kids stayed in the kid’s pool area, and parents seemed to keep a handle on them very well. Don’t get me wrong, we love children, but when you’re on holidays, its nice when everyone is considerate of each other.

In the evening, they set up a movie on the pool-deck, and I can see our children really enjoying this.

Beach

Beautiful sandy beach with lots of chairs and palapas and/or covered areas. There are some rocky areas, but this didn’t bother us, some people really didn’t prefer it. Some people wore beach shoes over the rocks. The beach drops off fairly quickly so it gets deep pretty fast, and the waves can get pretty rough at times. So it’s not ideal for younger children. But you can walk down the beach a short distance (1 minute) towards the huge unfinished hotel, and it’s a lot better for kids.

Beach Vendors are absolutely non-stop along with the beach in PVR regardless of which hotel you stay at. How that plays out though is dependent on which resort you stay at. The resort we stayed at prior to Now Amber earlier that week, didn’t stop the vendors from entering the roped off area where the loungers were, so you’d be hassled at least once per minute (not kidding). At Now Amber, security keeps the vendors outside the roped off area. This was great, because if you wanted to go look at their merchandise, you simply walk out to them and see what they’ve got, otherwise, you can relax on the beach and not be hassled. I can’t over-emphasize what a huge difference this was! Now Amber does a great job on this front!

Sports & Activities

We didn’t partake in the activities offered at this resort other than to take a kayak out for a spin. We are extremely active people, and our days in PVR leading up to our stay at Now Amber were a little too busy, so we just went for walks around the surrounding areas and along the beach. They leave an itinerary of daily activities in your room each day, and there was a lot to choose from...so maybe next time for us!

Kids Club

We didn’t have our kids with us, but we did go check out the Kids Club area for both the older and younger kids. Very cool! The staff at the younger kid’s area was very friendly. There were not any kids in either club when we visited. The younger kids club offered a very cook outdoor area, and the older kids area had game tables, video games, and even snacks at various times of the day. I think both would provide a great place for kids to just relax, and give adults a chance to get some alone time.

Outside the Resort

We’ve walked and jogged into downtown quite a bit from both Now/Secrets, and from other surrounding resorts. It is not a long walk provided you are in reasonable condition, and it’s interesting to see a bit of life in PVR. You can take a taxi to the Malecon, and I think it was about $5 each way. You’re better to walk out the main gate to catch a taxi, otherwise they’ll put you in the resort car, and you’ll be charged more (having said that, the car is new and clean). If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, you can jump on a bus into town, it’s easy and very inexpensive. Just past the arches towards the end of the Malecon, if you turn left and go up a block, you enter the flea-market area. There is a rope bridge to cross the river, or use one of the regular street bridges (rope on is more fun), you enter another "flea-market" area and we found the prices on the other side (south side) of the dry river better. This isn't a flea-market like we expected, it's just a ton of little booth type stores selling t-shirts, dresses, jewelery, carved items, to name just a very few items. Prices in this area are higher than they used to be because vendors know that tourists are going to try and beat them down on price, so they've increased their prices so that we can "get a deal."

There are two great massage places right outside the main gate (just walk down the hill, out the gate, and turn left). We did an hour long couples massage for $45 plus tip (for two people). My only recommendation about the massages is to go with the relaxation massage. I get deep-tissue massages with a registered massage therapist at home, and I made the mistake of choosing the “deep-tissue massage” they offer there. They are not qualified to do such massages, and I ended up with a very sore neck and back. But they are perfectly well qualified for a nice relaxation massage which my wife chose.

We have always felt very comfortable walking around PVR, but as with any other large city, make smart choices. Even when we go dancing downtown at night, we always ensure at least one member of our group doesn’t drink (the same as we do at home), so they can keep an eye out for the rest of the group. Common sense and a game plan go a long way to keeping you safe.

Preferred VS Non-Preferred

I’ve had the pleasure of staying in both Preferred and Non-Preferred rooms. You pay a little more for Preferred, but they do offer a few nice perks like upgraded amenities (shaving cream, suntan lotion, etc), and I think the mini-bar came with a few more things like Pringles and full bags of M&M’s. We only used the Jacuzzi on the deck once; there isn’t any privacy anyway. The Preferred lounge with all-day food (varied and excellent), along with a private bar upstairs, is made that much better by Benny who works there. He always had a smile and would offer you anything you might need (coffee, tea, alcoholic beverage, a light snack). He is a huge asset. This area offered a nice cool, quiet, place to eat before we left for our flight home. They also have a private area for flight check-in and boarding pass printing. The fact that the Preferred section is smaller with less guests, meant that we didn’t have to wait around for elevators all the time which was nice. Would I spend the extra money for Preferred again? Maybe. If you are on a tight budget, don’t spend the extra because the resort offers so much without the upgrade. But if it’s not too expensive next time we book, I’d consider it again.

Resort Coupon Book

After having stayed at both Now and Secrets, we have never used any of the coupons they give you. If you prefer higher end wine than what is included, then the $10 off a bottle coupon would help. You can’t combine the coupons, and they are generally for services that I consider over-priced anyway. So for us there has never been any value in their coupon book. They offered to put it towards an upgraded room, but the price of the upgrade was more than what we had paid for the nights we were staying, so we laughed that off fairly quickly.

Vacation Club

At check-in something may have been mentioned about this, but I’m not entirely sure, and if it had been, we never heard a single word about it. We did see people doing tours with Vacation Club guides, and sitting with them for breakfast. But this is not our thing, and I couldn’t care less what they are offering, anytime I spend listening to them is time I’m not relaxing on my holiday. Besides, we don’t want to be locked into visiting a specific resort, or set of resort. We know people who always go to these presentations, and we know people who have bought into various clubs. You’ll have to decide when you arrive, but at least go there knowing that if you make it clear you aren’t interested, they likely won’t pursue you.

Style of Resort & Demographics

Most guests were mid-20’s to middle-aged at this resort (plus the children of course), but there were quite a few retired people too. The guests at this resort were primarily Canadian and Americans, with a sprinkling of European, Asian, and some domestic travelers. This completely changes the feel of a resort. Now Amber could just as easily have been anywhere in the world; it is not a particularly Mexican style resort. The resort we stayed at for the four nights prior to staying at Now Amber, had a much more authentic Mexican style, and catered more to domestic travelers (60% Mexican, 20% Canadian/American, and 20% European/Asian/Other). Canadian and American’s typically have smaller families, while Mexican families tend to be a lot larger, so resorts that cater more to the domestic traveler typically have a lot more kids around. Other things we noticed included Now Amber and Secrets both having music we recognized, and showed movies we were familiar with. In contrast, the other resort we stayed at generally communicated in Spanish first (and then sometimes English), and played music we did not recognize and movies we were not familiar with. I think the sharpest contrast in this regard was in the night-clubs. Now Amber played mostly top-40 dance music that everyone in the club new and they did a great job of trying different music to bring all age-groups up on the dance floor. But at the other resort they didn’t play any music we knew at all and only communicated in Spanish, which I think was likely why my wife and I were the only non-Mexican people in the night-club (and we went almost every night). You’d see other Canadian/American travelers come in for a very short time, but the environment was not particularly welcoming for foreigners. The staff at Now Amber also had better English skills than what we experienced at the other large resort.

In Conclusion

Their staff is amazing, the food is some of the best we’ve experienced in Mexico, you can’t beat the rooms, and it’s a great proximity to the airport and downtown. We love this resort, and will stay here again...actually; we’re already checking rates, so hopefully something good comes along.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Victoriatravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Overall, we had a fabulous fun filled vacation. Our hotel was more than what we expected and we definitely plan to be back. There were a few hiccups but nothing major.

ROOM - gorgeous 10th floor room 2061 with stunning ocean view. We booked the lowest room category but ask for a free upgrade given we went for our anniversary. I guess it never hurts to ask ;-). Our king bed was heavenly, perhaps even better than the heavenly bed at the Westin. The shower easily fits two people and had good water pressure- very important to me. and the separate jacuzzi tub was nice too. I loved the modern open design of the bathroom. Hubby loved the TV with plenty of free channels including HBO and SHOWTIME I think. The balcony was nice. We slept with the balcony door open most nights. There is nothing like falling asleep to ocean waves.

Hiccups: 1. screen on balcony door was not fully attached. We called to have it fixed but no one ever came. Luckily May is not rainy seasons so very few Mosquitos. We never got any in the room. 2. Intrusive calling - while they meant well to check how our room service etc were. It was weird to receive calls especially when we were napping.

FOOD above average although can vary a lot. Overall we love it as we quickly learned what to order and what to avoid. We love the fact none of the restaurants needed reservations except for teppanyaki. We love the convenience of 24 hr room service and stocked minibar. Our favorite a la carte restaurants were Bordeaux - French. Service was good and food came quickly. Felt like a $$$ restaurant but free ;-). French onion soup and steak with fois gras sauce were our favorite plus the trio sorbet for dessert. Himistu was a good second favorite. Being Asian, I am pretty picky about Asian food but I was pleasantly surprised. Their salads were flavorful. The salmon sashimi were the best and the eel roll was good. Teppanyaki show was also good. We never tried capers, castaway, or market cafe. Buffet breakfast and lunch were good. 6+ fresh juices in the morning and freshly made to order scrambles were my favorites. Grilled meats and seafood were very tasty for lunch and the barefoot grill was handy for pool time snacks

Dining tips: avoid hamburgers. We had it for room service first night. Horrible. Most of the sushi maki was not good and shellfish in general was not good. Shrimp was ok but prawns seemed not fresh. Avoid Tamarindo - service is slow and food was over salted. Ask for fresh cracked eggs for the made to order breakfast. Their pre- mixture and pre-made eggs always tasted funny to me

HOTEL ENTERTAINMENT - Daytime activities were plentiful and more than expected. We kayaked, tried the water trampoline and inflatable ice berg - much harder than they looked. We did rifle shooting, archery. I also did yoga on the beach, water aerobics, Latin dancing and lessons. Hubby did water polo and music trivia. All were fun. The entertainment staff is always smiling, energetic and created a fun atmosphere. We especially loved Alejandro, Juan Carlos. Best of all, everything was included. Night time shows were just ok. We missed several. I think the best are the ones on Saturday - Caribbean night and Friday - fire show

NIGHTLIFE- We came to party since we didn't bring the kids. We like to dance, drink some and enjoy good music. We don't like techno though. There is a club on site but it was dead most nights. On Thursday we were surprised it was not dead and played some good music and had a small fun crowd. Just when we were getting into it, it shut down as it closes at 1am - bummer.

Not to worry as there was plenty of nightlife on Malecon - along the downtown board walk lined at least 4-6 clubs. We had a blast on 3 different nights - Sunday at la vaquita - very casual bar with fun swings and wet Tshirt contest Sundays. Monday at Mandala - no cover and got the best seat on the balcony right in front of dance floor and Friday at Roo.

I am including this in the hotel review because the hotel offers to bring guests to go out for nightlife every night by the entertainment staff. We had both a good and bad experience with this.

The deal is $15 for cover or $40 for open bar including cover per person - both include cab fare there which is usually $6. This is a great deal on busy nights like thurs to sat especially if other people from the hotel go as it facilitates meeting other cool people in a fun way.

it is more of a scam on other nights especially if you just paid cover as actually Sunday to wed there is no cover in most if not all clubs. We went with the hotel on Sunday and Friday. Friday was totally worth it as we ended up getting bottle service and had the best table in the club at Roo and partied with 10+ cool people from the hotel. Sunday turned out fun more because two other cool couples went. We were happy we ventured out on our own on Monday and Tuesday as places where entertainment team would have charged us cover or open bar, it was free to get in and we got much better liquor a la carte.

ALL INCLUSIVE - overall very worth it. Hubby got great premium liquor free and service was good. We did tip generously although we still prefer the club med experience better where no tipping is allowed. Figuring out how much to tip and bringing enough cash can get stressful.

POOL AND LOBBY - our favorite pool was the one with the swim up bar. Loved the blue floating mats that we can just get on and tan in the water. We LOVED the lobby on 3rd floor - stunning grand with beautiful sunsets and awesome breeze.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves and for the price we paid $2450 for a week at Now Amber including direct flight from SF, it was truly a luxurious vacation. ;-) We look forward to returning

Room Tip: all rooms are great. higher the floor better the view. Rooms to the left of elevator so under xx5...
1 Thank Lei H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Mexico/all-inclusive first-timers here. Stayed from May 18-25 looking for a mixture of fun and relaxation. Got what we wanted and more.

We stayed at the Preferred Club ocean view jr. suite, 4th floor. We had a little bit of a wait before they could check us in but that was no biggie since the Preferred Club has a lounge we could chill at. Always lots of food and the bar was just a few steps away. Estefania at the front desk was so helpful and always smiling. Benny the bartender always made sure we were never without drinks. Such a friendly and lovely man. He whipped up a couple of his special concoctions for us which we highly enjoyed. Our room was wow! The bed was huge and soft and comfortable (no pillow menu though like they promised), the washroom was separated by retractable walls, double sinks, wonderfully intense shower, good toiletries, ample closet space, 24-hr room service, hot tub in the balcony, effective blackout drapes (which was super important to us), optional sexy lighting, lots of mirrors... one of the best rooms we've ever had. I would say that the soundproofing could be better. We could hear our neighbours, and I'm sure we've bothered them with our noises too. Also, the Wi-Fi is a bit slow. I think the normal building probably has better views since their rooms are directly facing the ocean while the Preferred rooms are directly facing the Secrets side's building. It's ok though, I think our upgrade was well worth the extra cost.

A daily schedule of activities was given the night before. Really helped us in planning our days. They also put "drinks of the day" which was cool. We learned a lot of delicious new drinks during this trip. We did Spanish lessons (highly useful! glad we did this on our first day), pool volleyball, tequila tasting, rifle shooting, a kayak tour, magic show with the hilarious Bob Sheets (my friend got called to the stage to participate and that made his night. LOL), karaoke (I got to sing in front of a lot of other people! fun times), theme nights... all executed wonderfully. A special shout-out to Juan Carlos of the Entertainment team for being so fun and awesome. We always see him chatting up people and laughing. He invited us a couple of times to go clubbing outside too but we never got the chance to go. Wish we could've but we were always so tired at the end of the day.

The beach wasn't great. It was rocky and it got really deep really quickly which freaked my friend out. I enjoyed swimming out to the trampoline and climbing iceberg though. I've read reviews here about the beach vendors. There really weren't a lot of them, maybe 5 or 6? And they do back off when you've politely told them "No" so they didn't really bother me. There's always enough chairs/towels around for everybody. The Barefoot Grill and Manatees bar were a few steps away if we needed poolside food or drinks. And there were always servers walking around to flag if we felt too lazy to get our cervezas and fruity drinks ourselves. They also sometimes set up makeshift buffets/grills beside the pool during lunch.

Our fave dining experience was the Teppanyaki dinner at Himitsu. Our chef Jesus was so entertaining and our food was so delicious. We went back there for dinner on our last night and the staff gave us a special dessert for our send-off. Little gestures like that really warms the heart and means a lot. Most of the dishes at all the restaurants had smallish servings, but this was perfectly fine since we've been stuffing ourselves silly with food all day. And the quality of the food was great. Just a small complaint though: I ordered 2 appetizers at a couple of restos and they only brought back 1 both times. We had to remind them after they brought the main courses. They were apologetic enough and wanted to still serve the missing appies but by that time, I've lost interest in them already. The lobby bars at both Amber and Secrets have excellent views of the resort and the sunset. Great spots to hang out right before dinner for a drink or three.

The location was fantastic too. Probably halfway between the airport and downtown. Lots of attraction, shopping, restos nearby. We walked for about half an hour along the beach to the Malecon. Not the most enjoyable thing ever. The beach was a bit hard to walk on. We took a bus back and it was pretty easy, although crossing the street was a bit of an adventure. Haha. We wanted to try the Spa but upon asking our concierge, the prices were a lot more than what we were willing to shell out (even with the coupons). I'm sure it would've been amazing though.

I definitely 100% recommend this resort to anybody. It was perfect for a couple of friends aged 25-30 like us, the kids that were there were having so much fun, and I could also imagine my parents enjoying themselves here. I was so sad when we had to leave. I didn't want to say goodbye to the place and the people that made our vacation so amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne D
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

One of the Best Resorts we have stayed at in Mexico!!

We stayed from April 27 - May 11/13, room 2169 on the 11th floor, all rooms have an ocean view.

This was our third time in Puerto Vallarta and the first time at the Now Amber, we were very impressed with the service and the friendly staff. Every night we would get a newsletter listing the activities for the next day along with a listing of the a la carte's with the dress code, we thought that was a nice touch.

The Hotel is very clean and the rooms are beautiful, the staff work very hard at keeping the hotel clean. Thank you to Beatrice who looked after our room. Every morning the staff are hard at work cleaning the pools, putting the towels on the loungers and cleaning the beach area.

There were a lot of weddings at the resort during our stay. The staff work so hard at setting them up and some staff are still working in the early morning hours to take everything down again.

The restaurants are all very good the Carnival Buffet - Manager Eduvices and Hostess Nayely and server Oscar, thank you for your warm welcome and wonderful service. We were happy to find out that you didn't need to make a reservation for the a la carte restaurants, we had no problem getting in right away, we did make a reservation for Himitsu for the entertainment of the chef (Jesus) cooking in front of us, it was worth it.
Beach Bar Server - Armando, thank you for your awesome service!

You can walk right out of the resort hop on a bus or take a taxi or walk, your so close to everything. We visited a Tile store (Mundo De Azulejos) where they hand make tiles, they will make personalized tiles for you. There is a store where you can buy glassware, blue glass, glass vases, glass lamps, etc. (Mundo de Cristal) worth seeing, it's in the old Puerto Vallarta area. Above the famous church there's a stairway going up to where Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton lived, it's in the process of being restored but still worth taking a look at.

We really enjoyed our vacation and will come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Barb872
Winnipeg

Hey guys!

So we have been here less than 24 hours, but I just wanted to say that the italian restaurant is delicious, staff here are fantastic, we received an ocean view upgrade. and my morning coffee in the coco cafe has been just fantastic. DELISH! I will do a full review after the week and I will be more detailed, but so far, AMAZING!

Have a great week everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.
3 Thank TravelinJai
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Well, let's start with our first day, we were upgraded to the Secrets side for free which was awesome....... But THEN, they lost our luggage, they being the bellhop, concierge. They took it out of the cab, put it on the curb, and then put it on a bus for a tour of mexico! Then, our safe was broken. After waiting two and a half hours, they asked us "what our luggage looked like", REALLY! Then they finally came to fix the safe. Wasn't waiting for the luggage to get back from the tour, so went to the pool. After many hours, our luggage reappeared. Doesn't end there! Came back to the room, took a shower, went to dinner, came back and ALL of our towels were gone!! Glad they do turndown, but would have liked them to replace our towels. After that day from hell, things were better. The one thing that REALLY disappointed us was that they NEVER ONCE said they were sorry. That is NOT acceptable. So on.....The pool staff is awesome, they take care of you and are very pleasant. It was great to have the poolside café, food all day long. There were a lot of restaurants, the food was pretty decent, but must admit that the service was not up there, kind of sub par. The pools were amazing as well as the two hot tubs. Everything was very clean. The lobby bar was amazing and beautiful especially at sunset and at night. There was of sort of zero depth water thing with lit lanterns, that was gorgeous, staff There was amazing. The only other disappointing thing was the beach. It was so rocky you could NOT walk down the beach. We enjoy that, should have checked into that better.

Room Tip: WE had a oceanview room. it was really nice and a beautiful view. I would watch the swimup rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louackman
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our very first trip anywhere for both my husband and I and I can not say enough great and wonderful things about this place. In my opinion it is not really for teenagers but more for families with younger children, or couples. And it depends on what you like but we enjoyed staying at Now Amber instead of Secrets (which is connected). Secrets seamed very quiet and empty. I like children and watching them smiling and laughing made my day. There was always something going on at the NA.
We stayed in the Prefferred Club and I think it was worth every penny and more. But like I said this was our first trip. I heard the the regular rooms were great also, but just missing a few things that the prefferred club did have. Like the tub on the patio, I loved it as I could sit back relax and listen to the waves of the ocean. The extra bathroom supplies and fridge drinks. Our room services was great, Maria was wonderful. I really didn't notice the times on when they cleaned our room but usually we went for breakfast about 10am and they had not stop by, which was great for me so I didn't feel rushed, and if we returned to our room before it was done after breakfast then I just turned on the Do Not Disturb light and I never heard from them. Just make sure you turn off the light when you leave as they will not do your room.
We had wonderful service and smiles through out the whole place and even just roaming PV. I would love to say "Hi" to Benny in the prefferred club lounge. He was wonderful and sweet, always made sure everything was good with you and if not then he would do what he could to make it better. Martha helped us check in and she was so wonderful. We told her that this was our belated honeymoon and she got the housekeeping to do a few extra welcoming things in our room. When we walked to our room there was a sign on our door stating Honeymoon, and when we walked into our room there was rose petals on the floor and the bed, with a bubble bath ran with petals also. The bed was a King size, very comfortable bed, but don't worry as we were checking in, the paperwork said Double, don't panic that is a King. Everyone has a view of the ocean.
I want to say "Hi" to Ceaser as he was a our most wonderful server at the aldut pool. He is the best with great English, and willing to teach you words in Spanish if you asked.
There are 4 pools there, 2 are more for the children and the other two are more adults, but children were welcomed. There was not many times I would see children in the adults pools as they were a lot deeper and yes they did not go close to the bar in the pool. The ocean was a little rough but we went swimming anyways and I loved it. It was warm and relaxing. The venders were not pushy, I would just say "No Thank You" and they would leave you alone.
We did not have a chance to eat at every resturant there, as they did have a rotation for them. 2 would be close nightly, 1 on the Secrets side and 1 on the Now side.
We ate at Carnival for breakfast which I found to be great as it was a huge buffett and I could have something different everyday, and this was also open for lunch.
Castaways was wonderful for the seafood, and they have a different menu for lunch and dinner, men just make sure you are wearing a t-shirt - No Tanks for men.
Capers was great food and wonderful service but just for me I found it a little to open like a hall for a wedding.
Himitsu was Awesome. We reserved to sit with the chef for dinner, his name is Jesus (pernounced Esus) and he was beyond words. Big smile on his face and wicked cook. It is hard to say anything but the greatest food and service.
Barefoot Grill is a snack place during the day if you just want something quick, perfect for kids also as they have hotdogs, hamburgers and pizza.
The other evenings they had hugs tables set on the beach for Mothers Day and had a buffett, then they did the same but put the tables by the pools and had a mexican buffett, and the last night we were there they had the tables set up on the beach for caribean buffett. All these dinners had a wonderful show to follow dinner.
We had a private dinner on the beach and that was beyond words. I felt like I was in the most fancy resturant (but on the beach), I really felt I was treated like a queen.
We went to Healing Hands and had the most wonderful relaxing couples massage for an hour, only $50 for the both of us.
Smoking, for all non smokers and smokers, here is the lay down. No smoking in the rooms, but people smoked on the patio. Smoking is allowed in the lobby/lounge but only on the deck that over looked the ocean, also smoking is allowed on the beach and the pool. Most of the time anyone who smoked were respectful and did not smoke around children.
The resort was very clean inside and out. The beach was racked every morning, gardens were worked on all the time and grounds were kept up well. There is no braclets worn here but remember your room number as you will be asked. We went on a few excursions and they were great and for parents with young ones there is daycare at NA. It was $6 American to the Marina or $6 American to the Melacon.

I love every part of our trip and I so can't wait to go back with my kids as I know that they will be safe and have a wonderful great time.

Room Tip: We were in room 1674 in the Preffered Club. Floor 6.
4 Thank Kelly0927
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Spa
Secrets Vallarta Bay Resort & Sp...
#16 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,130 reviews
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,366 reviews

Been to Now Amber Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!